PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Pre Season Polls, Rankings, etc and et. al.

former1dog
10-24-2007, 08:51 AM
This is a message board and all the pre season speculation and discussion of various rankings and journalistic opinions and the like are fun and should be encouraged.

That said, I'd like to encourage a collective step back and reality check for our online community. The outrage at perceived insults from a variety of media outlets to our team or players should really be tempered by the fact that we really have no realistic assessment of this year's team.

Honestly, the only truly known factor on this year team is our team captain's, Pargo and Pendo. We, as knowledgeable GU fans, know what they will bring to the table in terms of effort, talent and consistency. As for the rest of the team, I can't honestly say I know for sure what will happen. AND, last time I checked, we need more than a good PG and an undersized "4" man to consistently win ball games against top competition.

I am very optimistic about the coming season and all the talent we have waiting in the wings, don't get me wrong. But, lets be realistic about how the media will portray our team. They can't know or collectively be as excited about our team as we are. So, the next time we don't make a Power 16 listing or miss some Yayhoo's top 25 remember this, our team has yet to play one single minute of competitive ball this season. Let's play some games before we get to upset about the prognosticators outlook.

rennis
10-24-2007, 08:58 AM
I am very optimistic about the coming season and all the talent we have waiting in the wings, don't get me wrong. But, lets be realistic about how the media will portray our team. They can't know or collectively be as excited about our team as we are. So, the next time we don't make a Power 16 listing or miss some Yayhoo's top 25 remember this, our team has yet to play one single minute of competitive ball this season. Let's play some games before we get to upset about the prognosticators outlook.

Good call. Pre-season rankings mean nothing. Ask the 2006/2007 Huskies ;)

El Voce
10-24-2007, 09:02 AM
Preseason polls -- and even early season polls -- are often nothing more than popularity contests.

Remember the first Battle in Seattle when we beat #3 ranked Missouri? They were nowhere to be found in the Top 25 come end of the season. Remember beating the Huskies last season when they were in the Top 10? How did that work out for Romar and the crew?

f1d is right. As fans, we are excited about all the talent the Zags have assembled. Our WCC friends in Moraga are equally excited about their new players. Fact is, neither team has made a public appearance, and no one knows how either team will perform this year.

This is the time for great optimism. In fact, if a team's fans aren't optimistic at this point, their team is probably deep in the toilet. Soon, the schedule will be played. After the GAS, the trip east, and the Cougar game, we will finally have a real good idea of how good our Zags will be. Until then, it is all conjecture.

Rubbadub
10-24-2007, 09:07 AM
That all having been said, I still feel perfectly comfortable making fun of their rankings. Pollyhanna indeed. Carry on.

BobZag
10-24-2007, 10:41 AM
This is the greatest team to be assembled in the history of the universe, and beyond! Unlimited power, I say! Cry havoc and unleash the Bulldogs of Hell!

Rubbadub
10-24-2007, 10:45 AM
This is the greatest team to be assembled in the history of the universe, and beyond! Unlimited power, I say! Cry havoc and unleash the Bulldogs of Hell!

Finally, someone else with realistic expectations.

JoeZag
10-24-2007, 11:08 AM

A little early in the day to be drinking the hard stuff, isn't it fellas? JK! I tend to side more with El Voce on this one. I am extremely optimistic about the season, but let's see exactly how all the moving parts will work together before we get too upset about the 'experts' and their polls. I prefer to have the Zags fly a little under the radar; floating around the top 25 is fine for now, as long as they end up in the top 10... 8.... 4...

zag944
10-24-2007, 11:16 AM
Preseason polls don't really mean anything; they are really only there to get people talking and to generate buzz for the season.

That said, I like to hear outrage or venting about them on radio shows, espn, messageboards, etc. I imagine most people here enjoy a good basketball debate.

CDC84
10-24-2007, 11:21 AM
This is one team that I think has a chance to get better as the season moves along. I am not saying Gonzaga won't win a lot of games in the early part of the season, but I am just not expecting this team to come right out of the gate and look fantastic. Too many new parts, Josh and Theo being worked back into the mix, a new assistant coach and GU coaches having to deal with depth like they've never had before. There's a lot on the table that needs to be sorted out before I think we're going to really see what this team is capable of.

But it's like what I have been saying all along regarding the prognosticators who are supposedly underestimating Gonzaga.....if the Zags and every team in the nation reach their maximum level of potential, GU's glass ceiling is higher than a lot of teams that are being ranked ahead of them. Of course every team reaching their max potential is a fantasy world, and there are no guarantees that GU will reach their max potential either.

lawzag
10-24-2007, 11:43 AM
Well said CDC -
While I am personally, totally, and unequivocally SUPER excited about this team. What I am in fact excited about is the "potential" this team has. Whether they reach their potential is yet to be seen. Since I am completely & utterally confident in the abilities of Few & his staff, I foresee them reaching that potential, but not everyone in the U.S. is as knowledgable about our staff & our players as we are.

Let the prognosticators spew their pre-season dribble, just laugh (ha,ha) & know in your ZAG heart, that at the end of the season WE'LL SHOW THEM! :D

Ikancagin
10-24-2007, 12:01 PM
I don't think they are as good as many believe they are. I think that at the end they will only be about 37 and 2.

drnoe
10-24-2007, 12:24 PM
Here's my unbiased opinion. This year's season is arguably one of the top 3 most anticipated in the last 7 years Though not filled with nearly as much expectations as AMMO's junior season, the potential for wreaking havoc throughout the schedule and tourney is realistic. Whether the Zags are ranked # 10 or # 25 is irrelevant...I couldn't care less...in fact, the lower the better. This team is flat-out going to be fun to watch...so many new players and so much returning talent.

rennis
10-24-2007, 12:26 PM
I prefer to have the Zags fly a little under the radar; ..

Is that even possible anymore???

Rubbadub
10-24-2007, 12:32 PM
Honestly, to be "under the radar" you can't really be in the top 25. The way things stand right now and for a while to come, the only way the Zags are going to be out of the top 25 is if they are losing games...and then that's not under the radar, that's just not good. As well, can you be under the radar if you play on national tv once a week or so? not really...

JoeZag
10-25-2007, 06:43 AM
Honestly, to be "under the radar" you can't really be in the top 25. The way things stand right now and for a while to come, the only way the Zags are going to be out of the top 25 is if they are losing games...and then that's not under the radar, that's just not good. As well, can you be under the radar if you play on national tv once a week or so? not really...

I was referring to the scope of the radar in terms of the national title hunt, and yes you most definitely can be under that radar and still be in the top 25 (See Villanova 1985, Arizona 1997, Syracuse 2003). The point is that I would like to see this team get steadily better as the year progresses. Some of the GU teams in the past that got a great deal of recognition before the tournament (i.e. broke the top 10) seemed to fold under the pressure of the expectations. Not only that, but being ranked that high tends to make you even more of a target for other teams (see Nevada and Wyoming NCAA losses). I just personally (MY OPINION) think that it is better for GU to be a 4/5/6 seed in the tournament.

Rubbadub
10-25-2007, 07:21 AM
Really, I think if you are in an NCAA tournament game there is going to be a target on your back whether you're a one seed or a 16. (Almost) Everybody is working their butt off for each win and (almost) nobody is going out there and mailing in a performance. Personally I'd rather have a 16 seed like Jackson State or Niagra hoping to pull off an upset than for instance (10)Nevada, (11)Wyoming or (6)Texas Tech. Them's just much better odds. :)

As well, I'll reiterate, as long as GU is maintaining their high level OOC scheduling, great recruiting and national tv exposure, the only way they are going to be "under the radar" going into the tournament is if they are losing bad games. I'd prefer "favorite to win it all" to "under the radar".

former1dog
10-25-2007, 07:22 AM
I'll second that reality check. But here's playing and meeting our expectations!:cheers: Kool Aid anyone?

Our fans drink way more Kool Aid than your fans do! ;) :D

kitzbuel
10-26-2007, 04:21 AM
Our fans drink way more Kool Aid than your fans do! ;) :D
That's 'cause ours tastes better. :)

IMO, the purpose of preseason rankings and prognistications in college basketball is to spark discussion. Unlike football, preseason rankings do not have considerable bearing on the outcome of the season, so they are nothing more than a prompt for debate. It's fun.

RenoZag
10-26-2007, 05:34 AM
So the first coach's POLL (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3080217) is on the newswires this morning and GU is tied for 14th.
Not a basket made, not an assist dished out, no thundering dunks yet seen. . .

Pretty heady stuff to be considered a Top 25 program even before the first tip-off.

Angelo Roncalli
10-26-2007, 06:01 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/usatpoll.htm