• Show
Clear All
  • Norwester
    Kennel Club Material
    • Mar 2007

OT: Graduation Success Rate

Zags Top the Nation in Graduation Success Rate
    Gonzaga is one of six schools in the nation with a 99-percent GSR

SPOKANE, Wash. – Gonzaga student-athletes are graduating at a rate of 99 percent according to the latest Graduation Success Rate (GSR) numbers released by the NCAA this week, which is tied for the highest percentage in the nation.

The Zags, who are tied atop the country with Columbia, Dartmouth, Harvard, Loyola Chicago and Yale, have the top GSR in the West Coast Conference. For comparison, the NCAA average is 85 percent and the WCC average is 90 percent.

Eleven Gonzaga squads achieved perfect 100-percent GSR scores, including men’s basketball for the first time in program history. Zags’ women’s cross country and track and field and women’s golf` had a perfect 100-percent GSR for the 13th straight year, while GU women’s tennis achieved the feat for the 12th straight year. Men’s cross country and track and field (10 straight), men’s tennis (nine straight), men’s soccer (eight straight), women’s soccer (seven straight, ninth time overall), and men’s golf (six straight) all extended their impressive streaks of 100-percent GSR scores. Women’s rowing had a perfect 100-percent GSR for the sixth time in program history.

Bulldog men’s soccer was one of only 34 programs in the country to have a 100-percent GSR, and women’s rowing was one of only 38 programs. Men’s cross country and track and field (one of 56 programs) and men’s basketball (one of 59 programs) were also among an elite small number.

All 13 of GU’s countable programs finished above the national average in their respective sports. Men’s Basketball achieved a 100 percent GSR score, 21 percentage points higher than the national average of 79 percent for the sport. Gonzaga women’s volleyball had a 96 percent GSR (five percent above the NCAA GSR average) and Bulldog baseball had an 89 percent GSR (eight percent above the NCAA GSR average).

According to the NCAA, the Division I Board of Directors created the GSR in response to Division I college and university presidents who wanted data that more accurately reflected the mobility of college students than the federal graduation rate. The GSR formula removes from the rate student‐athletes who leave school while academically eligible and includes student‐athletes who transfer to a school after initially enrolling elsewhere. This calculation makes it a more complete and accurate look at student‐athlete success.
  • sittingon50
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
      Time Zone Challenged Board Greeter
      • Feb 2007

I love Gonzaga.
      Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Comment

• jazzdelmar
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Heady company.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
          I love Gonzaga.
          Big Time knowing what STUDENT athlete is all about.....THANK YOU
          The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• willandi
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2007

I applaud the Zags and agree that Gonzaga is what college athletes are about.

What year are these stats for? Is there extra credit for graduate studies?

I only ask because Zach Collins has not graduated yet, so couldn't be for last year.
            Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• seacatfan
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2014

I'm also curious about Sabonis. Has he continued working toward his degree during the off season?

Comment

• MontanaCoyote
                Zag for Life
                • Dec 2015

Proud!

Comment

• SWZag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Great results in the classroom are the best results, bar none. Congrats and keep up the high standards GU!!!

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Comment

• Outraged
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Norwester View Post
                    Zags Top the Nation in Graduation Success Rate
                    Gonzaga is one of six schools in the nation with a 99-percent GSR

SPOKANE, Wash. – Gonzaga student-athletes are graduating at a rate of 99 percent according to the latest Graduation Success Rate (GSR) numbers released by the NCAA this week, which is tied for the highest percentage in the nation.

The Zags, who are tied atop the country with Columbia, Dartmouth, Harvard, Loyola Chicago and Yale, have the top GSR in the West Coast Conference. For comparison, the NCAA average is 85 percent and the WCC average is 90 percent.

Eleven Gonzaga squads achieved perfect 100-percent GSR scores, including men’s basketball for the first time in program history. Zags’ women’s cross country and track and field and women’s golf` had a perfect 100-percent GSR for the 13th straight year, while GU women’s tennis achieved the feat for the 12th straight year. Men’s cross country and track and field (10 straight), men’s tennis (nine straight), men’s soccer (eight straight), women’s soccer (seven straight, ninth time overall), and men’s golf (six straight) all extended their impressive streaks of 100-percent GSR scores. Women’s rowing had a perfect 100-percent GSR for the sixth time in program history.

Bulldog men’s soccer was one of only 34 programs in the country to have a 100-percent GSR, and women’s rowing was one of only 38 programs. Men’s cross country and track and field (one of 56 programs) and men’s basketball (one of 59 programs) were also among an elite small number.

All 13 of GU’s countable programs finished above the national average in their respective sports. Men’s Basketball achieved a 100 percent GSR score, 21 percentage points higher than the national average of 79 percent for the sport. Gonzaga women’s volleyball had a 96 percent GSR (five percent above the NCAA GSR average) and Bulldog baseball had an 89 percent GSR (eight percent above the NCAA GSR average).

According to the NCAA, the Division I Board of Directors created the GSR in response to Division I college and university presidents who wanted data that more accurately reflected the mobility of college students than the federal graduation rate. The GSR formula removes from the rate student‐athletes who leave school while academically eligible and includes student‐athletes who transfer to a school after initially enrolling elsewhere. This calculation makes it a more complete and accurate look at student‐athlete success.
                    Ironically our graduation rate is one of the key factors we are almost short handed this year.

Comment

• CDC84
                      Super Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                      I applaud the Zags and agree that Gonzaga is what college athletes are about.

What year are these stats for? Is there extra credit for graduate studies?

I only ask because Zach Collins has not graduated yet, so couldn't be for last year.
                      This is a good point. While Zach completed the semester and helped GU's APR score with the NCAA, he didn't graduate. Of course this is one of the chief reasons why the NCAA dumped graduation rates as a way to analyze whether to punish a team or not for academic problems. No team should be punished for having a guy leave early for the NBA. I mean, the guy could be a straight A student.

AD Mike Roth spoke glowingly about this during the broadcast. GU is up there with 4 Ivy League schools and a great school from the Midwest (Loyola Chicago - which a good friend of mine graduated from. Wish GU would play a game there to give Zach Norvell a "home" game. Don't think it'll happen ).

Comment

Working...
                      X