PDA

View Full Version : UCLA players arrested- OT

hooter73
11-07-2017, 04:06 PM
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/california/UCLA-Basketball-China-Arrests-455920553.html

And let the snarky comments begin!

Zagceo
11-07-2017, 04:24 PM
kids .....they can and will do dumb stuff now and then...careful throwing stones

jazzdelmar
11-07-2017, 04:34 PM
Karma, but unfortunately for dad.

hooter73
11-07-2017, 04:34 PM
I’m just gonna try and slide this in as casually as I can...

Maybe when you are three feet taller than everyone else you’re around, you might want to realize it’s hard to be sneaky.

I did plenty of dumb stuff as a kid, so you know, I get it, but really, student athletes at prestigious schools need to hold themselves to a higher standard. I say the same thing every time one of our players does something dumb.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-07-2017, 05:20 PM
kids .....they can and will do dumb stuff now and then...careful throwing stones

Somehow shoplifting, if true, while in a foreign country (a communist one at that) with your high prolfe scholarship UCLA teammates strikes me as a lot more serious and stupid than just “kids doing dumb stuff”. On the other hand, when they get treated like rockstars from the time they are 12 years old or so just because they are great basketball players maybe we shouldn’t be surprised when they behave as if the rules don’t apply to them.

jazzdelmar
11-07-2017, 05:26 PM
Too bad Sam Gilbert is dead. Wonder how Mumbles Walton will spin tuurrible news?

ZagDad84
11-07-2017, 05:27 PM
There is a big (and I mean a really big) difference between doing "dumb" stuff in the US and doing the same "dumb" stuff in a foreign country, Western or not.

Remember the Amanda Knox story in Italy. The vast majority of US lawyers who were interviewed thought there was little to no substance to the Italian police accusations. However she was still convicted, vindicated a couple of times and spent 4 years in jail before her final appeal was granted and she was found innocent. Yes this was a murder issue but it also was a Western Nation with good ties with the US. Getting in trouble with any foreign nation is not a good idea, to say the least.

In 1980, I spent a month in Europe with 47 other college students on a guided tour. Some of our tour was in Eastern Europe (Czech, East Germany, Berlin). The first day we landed in London, our 26 year old, Austrian tour guide told our entire group, "for the next month, you are not in America, you do not have American rights. You need to be aware of the rules and regulations of the countries we are traveling. If you get in trouble with the authorities in Eastern Europe, the amount of assistance the tour company and the US Embassy may be very minimal. The tour was constantly hassled by the Czech border guards and East German police. Shut up, say yes sir, no sir, thank you sir and be grateful that the only negative memories weres a few hours of harassment.

Ten years ago, my wife spent several days in Shanghai working for the American School. She was given an extensive list of things and places you could and could not do/go. The participants in the workshop were told they really, really did not want to get involved with the local police.

Hopefully, the school informed the players of the issues of breaking the law in China and the players simply ignored the instructions.

Hope the players will not have to pay too big a penalty for their transgressions, but a few days in a Chinese Jail, will probably straighten the players out.

ZagDad

GoZags
11-07-2017, 05:49 PM
There is a big (and I mean a really big) difference between doing "dumb" stuff in the US and doing the same "dumb" stuff in a foreign country, Western or not.

Remember the Amanda Knox story in Italy. The vast majority of US lawyers who were interviewed thought there was little to no substance to the Italian police accusations. However she was still convicted, vindicated a couple of times and spent 4 years in jail before her final appeal was granted and she was found innocent. Yes this was a murder issue but it also was a Western Nation with good ties with the US. Getting in trouble with any foreign nation is not a good idea, to say the least.

In 1980, I spent a month in Europe with 47 other college students on a guided tour. Some of our tour was in Eastern Europe (Czech, East Germany, Berlin). The first day we landed in London, our 26 year old, Austrian tour guide told our entire group, "for the next month, you are not in America, you do not have American rights. You need to be aware of the rules and regulations of the countries we are traveling. If you get in trouble with the authorities in Eastern Europe, the amount of assistance the tour company and the US Embassy may be very minimal. The tour was constantly hassled by the Czech border guards and East German police. Shut up, say yes sir, no sir, thank you sir and be grateful that the only negative memories weres a few hours of harassment.

Ten years ago, my wife spent several days in Shanghai working for the American School. She was given an extensive list of things and places you could and could not do/go. The participants in the workshop were told they really, really did not want to get involved with the local police.

Hopefully, the school informed the players of the issues of breaking the law in China and the players simply ignored the instructions.

Hope the players will not have to pay too big a penalty for their transgressions, but a few days in a Chinese Jail, will probably straighten the players out.

ZagDad

This is horrible on multiple levels.

I made 32 trips to China in 2 1/2 years shortly after she opened her doors to the West.

While things may have changed in the last 40 years .... you still don't want to get caught violating the law over there. This one may not end well. Perhaps not as bad an ending as Otto Warmbeir swiping a poster off a wall in North Korea ... but I don't feel good about this ... at all.

willandi
11-07-2017, 06:09 PM
This is horrible on multiple levels.

I made 32 trips to China in 2 1/2 years shortly after she opened her doors to the West.

While things may have changed in the last 40 years .... you still don't want to get caught violating the law over there. This one may not end well. Perhaps not as bad an ending as Otto Warmbeir swiping a poster off a wall in North Korea ... but I don't feel good about this ... at all.

Or as bad as getting caned in Singapore.

basketballzag
11-07-2017, 06:17 PM
I guess we can all agree on one thing the US Gov't isn't going to come to the rescue for these three and that they will be sitting in jail for a minimum of 60 days. The media is reporting they found Louis Vuitton items in all three player's suitcases which is really damning for them.

SWZag
11-07-2017, 06:21 PM

Stealing is never "dumb stuff."

Zagceo
11-07-2017, 06:27 PM
Stealing is never "dumb stuff."

I'll bite.....what would you call it?

jazzdelmar
11-07-2017, 06:28 PM
Reports yahoo.

If standard practices are applied, the three UCLA basketball players – including LiAngelo Ball – arrested Tuesday in mainland China under suspicion of shoplifting face between three and 10 years in prison if convicted, according a lawyer familiar with Chinese law who communicated with Yahoo Sports on the condition of anonymity because he doesn’t want to speak out about the Chinese government.

The three men could be detained for more than a month without American-style bail before local prosecutors even decide whether to press charges, according to William Nee, a Hong Kong-based researcher of the Chinese court system for Amnesty International.

Nee said it is not uncommon for a defendant to wait 30-37 days before being officially indicted. Among those indicted, Chinese prosecutors enjoy a 99.2 percent conviction rate, according to Nee’s research.

While it is unknown exactly what the players are being detained for, Chinese law calls for a fine and between three to 10 years in prison for anyone convicted of “robbing public or private property using force, coercion, or other methods.”

willandi
11-07-2017, 06:34 PM
Reports yahoo.

If standard practices are applied, the three UCLA basketball players – including LiAngelo Ball – arrested Tuesday in mainland China under suspicion of shoplifting face between three and 10 years in prison if convicted, according a lawyer familiar with Chinese law who communicated with Yahoo Sports on the condition of anonymity because he doesn’t want to speak out about the Chinese government.

The three men could be detained for more than a month without American-style bail before local prosecutors even decide whether to press charges, according to William Nee, a Hong Kong-based researcher of the Chinese court system for Amnesty International.

Nee said it is not uncommon for a defendant to wait 30-37 days before being officially indicted. Among those indicted, Chinese prosecutors enjoy a 99.2 percent conviction rate, according to Nee’s research.

While it is unknown exactly what the players are being detained for, Chinese law calls for a fine and between three to 10 years in prison for anyone convicted of “robbing public or private property using force, coercion, or other methods.”

While I feel sorry for the kids, if they did the crime, they should have known better.

I don't imagine the senior Ball's bluster will change what the Chinese do or don't do.

I can't foresee the NCAA sending any more teams to China for any reason, any time soon.

MDABE80
11-07-2017, 06:37 PM
Severe ! Lucky these boys aren't in Iran. Hard to ply bball with one hand. Somebody must have filled these kids in. Horrible episode.

Bogozags
11-07-2017, 06:47 PM
There is little doubt these three kids are not “rocket scientists” for pulling such a stupid stunt. I feel bad for the parents - even Ball Sr., because all parents hope their off spring have learned from previous lessons and won’t makes this type of serious mistakes.

If these three are in fact guilty of these charges, then I wonder how the school will react, will they pull their scholarships or just suspend them a game or two?

willandi
11-07-2017, 07:04 PM
There is little doubt these three kids are not “rocket scientists” for pulling such a stupid stunt. I feel bad for the parents - even Ball Sr., because all parents hope their off spring have learned from previous lessons and won’t makes this type of serious mistakes.

If these three are in fact guilty of these charges, then I wonder how the school will react, will they pull their scholarships or just suspend them a game or two?

Will the NCAA put the 5 years to play 4 in abeyance for the time out of country?

Zagdawg
11-07-2017, 07:20 PM
Some people said nothing could get Big Ball Daddy to be quiet...........

Arash Markazi‏Verified account @ArashMarkazi 57m57 minutes ago
LaVar Ball said he has been advised by council not to speak “due to the legal nature of the matter.” He had previously scheduled a press conference for 10:45 am from his hotel suite in Shanghai.

coolhandzag
11-07-2017, 07:47 PM

ZagDad

Good advice. I traveled Western Europe quite a bit with family growing up and in school.

Also spent a good volume of time in China helping design / building plants for computer chip fab.
The company was VERY clear. Especially to those engineers who had any kind of military work on their resume. Be careful. You are probably being monitored.

Travel to China. That's OK. Good people there.....better behave yourself though.

bartruff1
11-07-2017, 07:53 PM
I doubt China will do anything much with these high profile athletes there as guests....especially with the President there....I expect they will return to the US with the team.......what with NK....the dispute about the Islands and the freedom of the seas.....their plans to invest billions in the US....the last thing they need is to have Lavar coming after them....No Bueno..

Hoopaholic
11-07-2017, 08:06 PM

I will bite.......a criminal act far different than dumb stuff

SWZag
11-07-2017, 08:08 PM

I may have read incorrectly into your post. When people say "kids do dumb stuff," I tend to think of it as an excuse. "Kids do dumb stuff" is not an excuse for stealing. That where my comment came from. But yes, if it's strictly saying that they did something stupid, without the excuse, then I'd agree! :)

JPtheBeasta
11-07-2017, 08:08 PM
I doubt China will do anything much with these high profile athletes there as guests....especially with the President there....I expect they will return to the US with the team.......what with NK....the dispute about the Islands and the freedom of the seas.....their plans to invest billions in the US....the last thing they need is to have Lavar coming after them....No Bueno..

Can we sick Lavar on North Korea?

willandi
11-07-2017, 08:16 PM
Can we sick Lavar on North Korea?

Can we make them take him, or does that violate sanctions?

jazzdelmar
11-08-2017, 12:57 AM
I’m sure a very major Pac 12 donor whose company does a couple jillion dollars business in China has made a few calls to government authorities.

jazzdelmar
11-08-2017, 01:12 AM
More revolting than the theft of the LV merchandise is the emerging possibility the three will skate on the charges. Global institutions such as UCLA have powerful friends in high places everywhere. Sad if this is what ensues in the case of the contraband monogrammed, overpriced crap that is LV.

SHANGHAI -- Three UCLA men's basketball players -- including LiAngelo Ball, the younger brother of? Los Angeles Lakers rookie Lonzo Ball - were released on bail early Wednesday morning in Hangzhou, China, after being arrested for shoplifting Tuesday afternoon, just days before Friday's season-opening game against Georgia Tech in Shanghai, a source told ESPN.

The three players, a group that also included freshmen Cody Riley and Jalen Hill, were questioned about stealing from a Louis Vuitton store next to the team's hotel in Hangzhou, where the Bruins had been staying before leaving for Shanghai on Wednesday.

"The players were treated with the utmost respect, kindness and professionalism at all times by the Hangzhou police," the source, who had firsthand knowledge of the release, told ESPN. "The players questioned were respectful at all times. None of this was confrontational."

Bogozags
11-08-2017, 03:55 AM
More revolting than the theft of the LV merchandise is the emerging possibility the three will skate on the charges. Global institutions such as UCLA have powerful friends in high places everywhere. Sad if this is what ensues in the case of the contraband monogrammed, overpriced crap that is LV.

SHANGHAI -- Three UCLA men's basketball players -- including LiAngelo Ball, the younger brother of? Los Angeles Lakers rookie Lonzo Ball - were released on bail early Wednesday morning in Hangzhou, China, after being arrested for shoplifting Tuesday afternoon, just days before Friday's season-opening game against Georgia Tech in Shanghai, a source told ESPN.

The three players, a group that also included freshmen Cody Riley and Jalen Hill, were questioned about stealing from a Louis Vuitton store next to the team's hotel in Hangzhou, where the Bruins had been staying before leaving for Shanghai on Wednesday.

"The players were treated with the utmost respect, kindness and professionalism at all times by the Hangzhou police," the source, who had firsthand knowledge of the release, told ESPN. "The players questioned were respectful at all times. None of this was confrontational."

I do believe this will just be a "slap-on-the-wrist" as this was just boys being boys...I hope not but D1 Athletics is all about money and UCLA is a true blue blood...again, jmho

Go Zags

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-08-2017, 04:07 AM

Spin control already in full swing. Hopefully Alford and UCLA show some spine and at least suspend all 3 players for multiple games. I wish the Bruins had a game at Duke this season; it’d be fun to see what kind of taunting the Cameron Crazies would engage in!

jazzdelmar
11-08-2017, 04:08 AM
I do believe this will just be a "slap-on-the-wrist" as this was just boys being boys...I hope not but D1 Athletics is all about money and UCLA is a true blue blood...again, jmho

Go Zags

Bo, I am afraid you're right. The story seems trending that way. ESPN has stayed away from it like the plague. PTI boys buried it. Goodman is lone wolf on this and he seems to have been muffled somewhat. UCLA is powerful, yes, but so is Mr. Nike in China and one Pac 12 washes the hand of another. Sad, but carry on.

One reason, ESPN boss Iger is close, very close to UCLA hoops ..."The UCLA Anderson School of Management honored Walt Disney Co. chairman and CEO Robert Iger with its 2013 John Wooden Global Leadership Award on Nov. 21 at a gala celebration in Beverly Hills. The award, named for legendary UCLA basketball coach, author and leadership expert John Wooden (1910–2010), is given each year to an exceptional individual in corporate America whose leadership style and service to the community reflect the same high benchmarks of performance, integrity and ethical virtues set by Wooden."

Zaga
11-08-2017, 04:50 AM
Too bad Sam Gilbert is dead. Wonder how Mumbles Walton will spin tuurrible news?

Mumbles (Let go of my Ego) Walton....

primal23
11-08-2017, 05:28 AM
Spin control already in full swing. Hopefully Alford and UCLA show some spine and at least suspend all 3 players for multiple games. I wish the Bruins had a game at Duke this season; it’d be fun to see what kind of taunting the Cameron Crazies would engage in!

Doubt it, Alford defended a player who committed a sexual assault when at Iowa, doubt he will do anymore than what he is forced to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bartruff1
11-08-2017, 05:33 AM
My how times have changed, Louis Viton ??? Doesn't that stuff cost thouseands ???

Back in the 60s there were a couple basketball players at Gonzaga who used to shoplift at some war surplus store on Division....those kids never paid to see a movie as they knew how to sneak in a side door exit and scatter.....

I can remember on several occasions that we would simply walk into the kitchen of the best hotels in town and help ourselves to whatever we wanted to eat and the help never once questioned us..... just pretend like you belong there.... we never got caught doing that stuff, but we did get arrested a couple times for minor in position and trashing a motel room....nothing was ever mentioned in the media..... the Dean got us off...

Young and dumb and full of.....well you know... I can't cast any stones...

Birddog
11-08-2017, 06:31 AM
some war surplus store on Division
"The White Elephant", I used to love that place when i was a kid.
In the late 60's or early 70's there was a viral outbreak of "tennis shoeing the bill" in Spokaloo. The outbreak included students from all the local institutions of higher learning. In response the city passed an ordinance with much harsher penalties and put a damper on the outbreak. IIRC, the Pine Shed on Division was hit with an unusually high number of the crimes.

jazzdelmar
11-08-2017, 06:47 AM
My how times have changed, Louis Viton ??? Doesn't that stuff cost thouseands ???

Back in the 60s there were a couple basketball players at Gonzaga who used to shoplift at some war surplus store on Division....those kids never paid to see a movie as they knew how to sneak in a side door exit and scatter.....

I can remember on several occasions that we would simply walk into the kitchen of the best hotels in town and help ourselves to whatever we wanted to eat and the help never once questioned us..... just pretend like you belong there.... we never got caught doing that stuff, but we did get arrested a couple times for minor in position and trashing a motel room....nothing was ever mentioned in the media..... the Dean got us off...

Young and dumb and full of.....well you know... I can't cast any stones...

Nice expiation, Bart. But doesn't move the needle for me on the UCLA jerks.....

Zagceo
11-08-2017, 07:52 AM
I will bite.......a criminal act far different than dumb stuff

can’t be both?

bartruff1
11-08-2017, 08:10 AM
The fact that Lavar has been told to STFU makes me think that this is being resolved and that no one is going to jail...

Hoopaholic
11-08-2017, 08:13 AM
can’t be both?

not for me criminal act involves the element of intent which is far past "dumb stuff" in my book....they formed the intent to steal, apparently, before they went into the store and acted as a concerted group to facilitate that crime......that aint dumb stuff for me that is simply a criminal

jazzdelmar
11-08-2017, 08:17 AM
The fact that Lavar has been told to STFU makes me think that this is being resolved and that no one is going to jail...

Good analysis......a slap on the wristband and back to the big biz of blue blood BB.

BoZarth
11-08-2017, 09:08 AM
Is it true three Pacific Tiger players are being exchanged for the Bruin Three?

kitzbuel
11-08-2017, 09:11 AM

Young and dumb and full of.....well you know... I can't cast any stones...I suspect none of your dumb stuff was done in a major rival country with whom the US is negotiating at the highest levels to deter nuclear war.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Shanachie
11-08-2017, 09:25 AM

Strongly disagree. If UCLA, or the Pac-12, or Phil Knight can intervene and keep three stupid kids from spending 3+ years in a Chinese prison, that would be a good thing. A good scare in China, followed by meaningful punishment from UCLA seems like the right level to me. Now, if they get out of China without jail time and UCLA doesn't impose a significant suspension, I will agree with you that they got off too easy. But Chinese prison time? That's too much to wish on them.

jazzdelmar
11-08-2017, 09:46 AM
Strongly disagree. If UCLA, or the Pac-12, or Phil Knight can intervene and keep three stupid kids from spending 3+ years in a Chinese prison, that would be a good thing. A good scare in China, followed by meaningful punishment from UCLA seems like the right level to me. Now, if they get out of China without jail time and UCLA doesn't impose a significant suspension, I will agree with you that they got off too easy. But Chinese prison time? That's too much to wish on them.

I said skate. Wait for it. By the start of the pac 12 season no one, least of all ESPN announcers will be able to recall this even happened. Of course I wish no midnight express on them

Zagceo
11-08-2017, 10:05 AM
Chinese students enrolled in US colleges....could be a mitigating circumstance in resolving this issue quietly....

China remains the dynamo of global-student mobility, at times driving up international enrollments all by itself. In 2013-14, Chinese students accounted for almost 60 percent of the foreign-student growth at American colleges. Think about it this way: One of every three international students in the United States holds a Chinese passport.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/01/education/chinese-students-lead-foreign-surge-at-us-colleges.html

GoZags
11-08-2017, 10:05 AM
I said skate. Wait for it. By the start of the pac 12 season no one, least of all ESPN announcers will be able to recall this even happened. Of course I wish no midnight express on them

Now THAT was a tough outing (for Billy Hayes).

johno
11-08-2017, 10:39 AM
This is an embarrassment for the USA. These players were ambassadors of goodwill and blew it. I know they are young, and should be forgiven their foolishness, but it is still a stain on our country.

bartruff1
11-08-2017, 11:21 AM
I suspect none of your dumb stuff was done in a major rival country with whom the US is negotiating at the highest levels to deter nuclear war.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Well that is true, but I still did dumb stuff all over Western Europe and Mexico.... four of us got in a brawl in Mexico and got thrown in prison...not jail....prison...but the warden was a crook and the prosecutor was a crook and we got out on bail to the tune of $30,000 in todays dollars and jumped bail and snuck across the border at Nogales where we got caught by the US Border Patrol.

The good news is that they didn't send us back to Mexico and we were able to cancel the checks we wrote in Mexico..

I don't think these boy's dumb stuff will have any effect on the possibility of a nuclear war....there are a lot dumber people conducting those talks for us..

Bogozags
11-08-2017, 06:42 PM
My only question regarding these "young adults" is whether they get to keep the stuff they stole...I mean these "young adults" had to spend time in jail so the least the Chinese could do is let them keep the "knock-off" LV stuff...

Outraged
11-09-2017, 03:25 AM
They knew they were not stealing candy bars. It would probably be a felony here. Now if they receive legal aide would that be considered illegal aide or contributions by the NCAA?

a13coach
11-09-2017, 08:28 AM

From the article doesn't this say volumes about at least one of the parents? Emphasis mine.

Asked if he was about LiAngelo, LaVar said, "He'll be fine. He'll be fine. Everybody making it a big deal. It ain't that big of a deal."
Maybe I am too strict but if my kid did something like that it would be a big deal.

Zagdawg
11-09-2017, 09:27 AM
http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/11/09/report-liangelo-ball-ucla-teammates-face-house-arrest/

a13coach
11-09-2017, 02:00 PM
http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/11/09/report-liangelo-ball-ucla-teammates-face-house-arrest/
How about they leave LaVar behind as a chaperone?

bartruff1
11-09-2017, 02:11 PM
Bill Walton would be my choice....I would watch the game, except I cannot stand that blathering idiot...

primal23
11-09-2017, 04:49 PM
How about they leave LaVar behind as a chaperone?

And keep him there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RenoZag
11-11-2017, 10:39 AM
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-ucla-players-accused-shoplifting-143737125.html

According to a report from ESPN’s Arash Markazi, citing a source close to the situation, UCLA freshmen LiAngelo Ball, Cody Riley and Jalen Hill will likely have to stay behind in China for “a week or two” while the team flies home after Friday night’s season-opening win over Georgia Tech.

The source noted that there is surveillance footage of the players shoplifting from three stores inside of a high-end shopping center, which houses Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Yves Saint Laurent and Salvatore Ferragamo stores.

sittingon50
11-11-2017, 11:09 AM
Think of all the extra time they'll have for schoolwork!

bartruff1
11-11-2017, 11:13 AM
Let me see....a couple weeks at a 4 or 5 star hotel with room service and a pool, cable TV, wifi, exercise room.... and a flight home in a Net Jets Global 7000...that should be punishment enough for those criminals..

CDC84
11-11-2017, 03:53 PM
Wonder how the Chinese food will taste??

Bogozags
11-12-2017, 11:07 AM
Bill Walton's comments on the three UCLA players:

“I am sad, disappointed and embarrassed. This is a very big deal. The noble purpose here has been stained. Our host, Alibaba China, the people, they have been better than perfect in everything. They’ve done everything right to make this all work. Now, members of our family have displayed an appalling lack of honor, lack of respect, lack of decency by doing something in someone else’s home that they would never do in their own. And I want to apologize right now on behalf of the human race for this travesty.”

bartruff1
11-12-2017, 11:55 AM
Walton with a typical understatement .....BABA good stock, up 100% for the year....Jack Ma is a visionary

sittingon50
11-12-2017, 11:56 AM
Actually I was with Bill until he got to the "human race" part.

Kemo 1966
11-12-2017, 08:57 PM
Is it true three Pacific Tiger players are being exchanged for the Bruin Three?

MM wouldn't want them. Already shipped out a disgruntled 6'9" forward (going to be a starter)..... that's why Pacific is down to 10 players (one walk on and one frosh) ........ we'll take our lumps...but they will fight ..... Bruins can keep their "PRIMA-DONNA'S"....

vandalzag
11-13-2017, 05:57 AM
Let me see....a couple weeks at a 4 or 5 star hotel with room service and a pool, cable TV, wifi, exercise room.... and a flight home in a Net Jets Global 7000...that should be punishment enough for those criminals..

Yes not exactly doing time at Shawshank.

Zagceo
11-14-2017, 07:15 AM
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-ucla-china/ucla-players-depart-china-after-trump-asked-for-xis-help-idUSKBN1DE0E6

kitzbuel
11-14-2017, 07:59 AM
Yes not exactly doing time at Shawshank.

I guarantee that they ain't doing that again. The whole focus of the event became American entitlement instead of cultural engagement; pretty much the exact opposite of the visit's intent.

bartruff1
11-14-2017, 08:05 AM
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-ucla-china/ucla-players-depart-china-after-trump-asked-for-xis-help-idUSKBN1DE0E6

Birds of a feather with similar character...

TexasZagFan
11-14-2017, 10:40 AM

Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott, who had not spoken with the three players, said what had occurred was a “very regrettable situation.” Pac-12 is a college athletic conference in which UCLA participates.

“I‘m just glad it’s resolved and that they’re on the way home safely,” he told Reuters by telephone from an Anti-Defamation League Sports Leadership Council event in San Francisco.

Since the matter didn’t occurred on the court, it was up to UCLA whether the players would be punished, Scott said.

Scott could fill Goodell's shoes without missing a beat, and for a lot less money.

sittingon50
11-14-2017, 11:38 AM
Birds of a feather with similar character...

This.

bartruff1
11-14-2017, 12:58 PM
With apologies to the Bruins who to my knowledge are not bad.