PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Williams not signing with Arizona

basketballzag
11-07-2017, 03:35 PM
http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcats/basketball/pascoe/arizona-wildcats-pg-commit-brandon-williams-likely-won-t-sign/article_12aff2f8-c3fa-11e7-ab7c-e7f78074f4e4.html

Arizona commit Brandon Williams will likely not sign with the Wildcats during the early signing period that starts Wednesday because of the ongoing FBI investigation into college basketball, his father said Tuesday.

Chris Wright, Williams’ father, said his son remains solidly committed to the Wildcats but is “99 percent” likely to wait until the spring period.

“We’re gonna have a call tonight to talk about this but as of right now, I’m gonna say no,” Wright said Tuesday. “It looks like it will probably be a spring decision. We’re still 100 percent Arizona and not looking at other schools but still looking at it day by day. If Sean Miller gets through this investigation, there’s a good chance he’ll sign.”

If I recall the Zags were the runner-ups to land Williams and with the Zags PG roster it wouldn't surprise me if he revisited Gonzaga.

cggonzaga
11-07-2017, 05:07 PM
As good as this would be, it sounds like we’re only taking 1 pg next year and Richardson would get that scholarship if he wanted it. Also sounds like Foster gets it if Richardson commits elsewhere. Could be wrong but we probably don’t wait on Williams at this point.

Zagdawg
11-07-2017, 05:28 PM
He would probably get a look if he decided he wanted to #Zagup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aUAKIYdWWg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TotWSBj0ZyY

Bogozags
11-07-2017, 06:21 PM
This young man wouldn’t even visit GU...he just wants to make sure AZ stays clear of any further investigation before he signs on the bottom line

MDABE80
11-07-2017, 06:27 PM
True enough Bogo. He's a good one though. With all the junk going on these days, you just never know. We need a pg. Hope Jesse gets better .

Markburn1
11-07-2017, 06:53 PM
True enough Bogo. He's a good one though. With all the junk going on these days, you just never know. We need a pg. Hope Jesse gets better .

Gotta hand it to you. Consistent and relentless.

I think you are overstating your case, though.

btzag
11-07-2017, 07:12 PM
I'm good with Wade/Ayayi at PG for the next 2-3 years. If he didn't understand the situation after the other PG got purchased over him...he's never going to get it. Pass.

West Side Lady
11-09-2017, 09:00 PM
If he didn't understand the situation after the other PG got purchased over him...

Dreams die hard

Murphy outgo lifer
11-09-2017, 10:33 PM
Brandon Williams is actually signing with Arizona for the early signing period this Friday. However, he is signing non-binding scholarship papers instead of the normal National Letter of Intent. He will be able to back-out of the commitment if penalties arise.

https://twitter.com/theebwill?lang=en

Shareef O'neil however, is reported to be holding off until spring.

thebigsmoove
11-10-2017, 04:24 AM
Brandon Williams is actually signing with Arizona for the early signing period this Friday. However, he is signing non-binding scholarship papers instead of the normal National Letter of Intent. He will be able to back-out of the commitment if penalties arise.

https://twitter.com/theebwill?lang=en

Shareef O'neil however, is reported to be holding off until spring.

If im a recruit, im gone. No way do i stick around under this mess, look what happened to some of those UL players a couple years ago when they self imposed that ban mid season. Those guys were left holding the bag for past players indiscretions.

Bogozags
11-10-2017, 07:18 AM
If there is one bad apple in the basket, do you throw all of them out?

As I said previously, he is hedging his bets...not signing an NLI is the smart thing to do...

MDABE80
11-10-2017, 08:57 AM
Likely he's waiting to see how bad it gets in AZ. I just returned from there........walking on eggshells is the apt description. Those AZ commits will jump if it get bad and the team doesn't perform as expected. In some ways, this is an opportunity for the Zags. Performance matters.....so does honestly and "cleanliness":)

Bogozags
11-10-2017, 09:32 AM
Likely he's waiting to see how bad it gets in AZ. I just returned from there........walking on eggshells is the apt description. Those AZ commits will jump if it get bad and the team doesn't perform as expected. In some ways, this is an opportunity for the Zags. Performance matters.....so does honestly and "cleanliness":)

Doc,

Do you really think either USC or AZ will be scrutinized that much to the point the NCAA will initiate an investigation? Even if they (NCAA) does investigate, it won't have an effect on the 2017-18 season. However, if either of these schools are found to be "guilty" and the NCAA places them on probation, then all the players can legally transfer to other schools and play immediately. This is why I don't see the NCAA looking to deeply as they do not want to create the mass panic that would surely evolve for that type of decision. Then again, if the FBI does find more laws broken the NCAA won't be able to turn a blind eye to what has happened.

ZionZag
11-10-2017, 12:41 PM
Doc,

Do you really think either USC or AZ will be scrutinized that much to the point the NCAA will initiate an investigation? Even if they (NCAA) does investigate, it won't have an effect on the 2017-18 season. However, if either of these schools are found to be "guilty" and the NCAA places them on probation, then all the players can legally transfer to other schools and play immediately. This is why I don't see the NCAA looking to deeply as they do not want to create the mass panic that would surely evolve for that type of decision. Then again, if the FBI does find more laws broken the NCAA won't be able to turn a blind eye to what has happened.

If this probe continues and AZ (or any other school) starts to loose some recruits, I'd be very careful recruiting players in that group....I'd want to re-examine the reason they committed to that school in the first place.....There is always a chance that one or some got away...Just say'in

MDABE80
11-10-2017, 01:28 PM
Yes Bogo.1 player and 1 asst coach suspended today (for4- 5 days today). Something's wrong there. If it's bad enough, we could get lucky. Sean Miller knew about Book. Net's are gathering bits and pieces of the information. It'll take a while. We'll see.

DixieZag
11-10-2017, 04:13 PM
Yes Bogo.1 player and 1 asst coach suspended today (for4- 5 days today). Something's wrong there. If it's bad enough, we could get lucky. Sean Miller knew about Book. Net's are gathering bits and pieces of the information. It'll take a while. We'll see.

Interesting.

Until all this, I honestly thought they had plenty to offer, such that they wouldn't risk the downside, especially stuff this serious. I would have put them in the basket with Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, the types that have 4-5 stars competing to get their attention as it is, that they'd be extra careful.

Astonishing. Thx

Bogozags
11-12-2017, 04:58 AM
I just heard Wednesday PM that while Motta was still the HC at OSU, one of his assistants received a telephone call from an "agent" representing a recruit. This HS Senior was being recruited by several schools. Two of them were UA and OSU. The player was undecided between UA and OSU and when the "agent" called OSU, he told the OSU assistant coach that UA was offering $100K for the kid to go to UA and if OSU wanted him, they would have to come up with more cash. I have no reason to doubt the authenticity of the person sharing this information as from what we have been reading, seeing and hearing in the media as well as what has been said in this thread, that there is something "fishy in Denmark!"

If all we are hearing is accurate, the Miller has so much pressure on him to win and get another NC that he feels "cheating" is the only way to get to the FF. I still have hope that he really didn't know about what was going on. Unlike UL's head coach who denied knowing/being involved and then Addias let the cat out of the bag and pointed a finger directly at him...so far no "dimes" have been dropped on Miller, Enfield, Pearl or Larranaga. USC's athletic program has been known to "cheat" to obtain victories and Bruce Pearl has also been know to circumnavigate the system to his advantage. In fact, we have recently read about Pearl's resistance to an internal Auburn probe of his program - some have said he is in jeopardy of losing his job!

These next few months will provide many rumors and some facts about what is happening at these programs. It's like Muellers investigations...the deeper he goes the more surprises surface. From a purely idealistic point of view, I just hope the FBI doesn't find the "straw that breaks the camel's back!"

DixieZag
11-12-2017, 08:51 AM
From a purely idealistic point of view, I just hope the FBI doesn't find the "straw that breaks the camel's back!"

Great full post, Bogo.

I hope the FBI finds just enough that college basketball becomes college basketball again. at least in terms of recruiting (set aside the pay players above board, legally as part of the system).

Most 4-5 star athletes wouldn't look at us for the same reasons we always postulated, small conf, etc. But who really knows how many we might have had given us a closer look had we played on an even playing field.

Oh, and is there a chance that Motta's precipitous decline, from being a 2 seed and several years at the top of the Big, down to losing his job, might've had something to do with more than just this player? That he was clean and wanted to be clean more than "do anything to win."? He didn't forget how to coach or recruit.

seacatfan
11-12-2017, 10:24 AM
The Arizona player suspended for 1 game is Keanu Pinder. He's not a player you'd pay $100 K for. You wouldn't pay $10 K for him. I haven't seen any details about the nature of the suspension, it's entirely possible it's completely unrelated to the FBI investigation.

MDABE80
11-12-2017, 11:39 AM
Sea, that's not the point. Those two suspension taken WITH the FBI investigation over the Book matter indicate more trouble even NOT related to this investigation. When I pointed it out, I wasn't thinking about the FBI. I was thinking this is another bit of trouble independent of Book. Overall it's just doesn't look solid down there in Tucson. Instability.

seacatfan
11-12-2017, 12:18 PM
I'm withholding judgement until there's actually some info available.

seacatfan
11-12-2017, 04:39 PM
Pinder played today. One game suspension...seems like not a big deal to me, making more of this than what it really is.

willandi
11-12-2017, 04:42 PM
Pinder played today. One game suspension...seems like not a big deal to me, making more of this than what it really is.

Do you know that Pinder is the player in question? If he was suspended 4-5 days on the 10th, it doesn't seem long enough.

I don't know, and don't really care. Just asking.

seacatfan
11-12-2017, 04:44 PM
Yes, I do know that Pinder is the player in question. I think the 4-5 days is in regards to the assistant coach, not the player.

willandi
11-12-2017, 04:46 PM
Yes, I do know that Pinder is the player in question. I think the 4-5 days is in regards to the assistant coach, not the player.

OK.
Thank you.