PDA

View Full Version : Another Canadian Big We Missed Out On

SLOZag
11-06-2017, 10:02 AM
"Dan Stoddard is a balding, 38-year-old bus driver who failed out of college two decades ago. This summer, a chance encounter gave him a shot at an improbable dream he’d given up on years ago: playing college basketball. ... The Algonquin Thunder, which is usually in the top five of the 22 teams in their Ontario collegiate league, is full of point guards and shooters, but they needed a big guy." The 6' 8" Stoddard dropped 70 pounds -- from 386 to 316 -- in order to earn his scholarship. His teammate Michael Soy, 20, a shooting guard and star of the team, admitted he was “a little iffy at first” about the old guy joining the squad. "But Stoddard is now like a father figure on and off the court, giving the guys advice on both basketball and life. “Dan is great, actually, even though he’s old,” Soy said. “He’s a rookie, but he knows what he’s doing. He’s like brick wall. When he sets a screen I’m wide open for like five seconds.”"

"Stoddard, who turns 39 later this month, is eligible to play ball because in the organization that governs his eligibility, the Ontario Colleges Athletic Association, there’s not an upper age limit. And the clock didn’t start on his eligibility until this year when he made the team. In the U.S., the NCAA also does not have an upper age limit for players."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/inspired-life/wp/2017/11/06/the-most-surprising-recruit-in-college-basketball-is-a-bus-driver-and-hes-38/?src=rss&utm_term=.0e3871eca98e

I wonder if we could recruit his older brother?

ZagsGoZags
11-06-2017, 11:22 AM
i wonder if his dad is still playing

hooter73
11-06-2017, 11:29 AM
Ha, thats a fun story. What a neat opportunity for that dude.

SWZag
11-06-2017, 11:43 AM
Great story!! Thanks for sharing!

Kiddwell
11-06-2017, 11:53 AM
...on Shem's team in Europe. Gramps was on his way to a triple-double when, partway through the second half, his arthritic hip gave out. (Didn't help that Shem set a hard screen on the play, and knocked the Old Geez* outta his wheelchair.)

:]

<*Name on gramps's Twitter account>

Corky
11-06-2017, 05:08 PM
Mandelbaum. Mandelbaum.

billyberu
11-06-2017, 06:52 PM
"Dan Stoddard is a balding, 38-year-old bus driver who failed out of college two decades ago. This summer, a chance encounter gave him a shot at an improbable dream he’d given up on years ago: playing college basketball. ... The Algonquin Thunder, which is usually in the top five of the 22 teams in their Ontario collegiate league, is full of point guards and shooters, but they needed a big guy." The 6' 8" Stoddard dropped 70 pounds -- from 386 to 316 -- in order to earn his scholarship. His teammate Michael Soy, 20, a shooting guard and star of the team, admitted he was “a little iffy at first” about the old guy joining the squad. "But Stoddard is now like a father figure on and off the court, giving the guys advice on both basketball and life. “Dan is great, actually, even though he’s old,” Soy said. “He’s a rookie, but he knows what he’s doing. He’s like brick wall. When he sets a screen I’m wide open for like five seconds.”"

"Stoddard, who turns 39 later this month, is eligible to play ball because in the organization that governs his eligibility, the Ontario Colleges Athletic Association, there’s not an upper age limit. And the clock didn’t start on his eligibility until this year when he made the team. In the U.S., the NCAA also does not have an upper age limit for players."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/inspired-life/wp/2017/11/06/the-most-surprising-recruit-in-college-basketball-is-a-bus-driver-and-hes-38/?src=rss&utm_term=.0e3871eca98e

I wonder if we could recruit his older brother?Neat story and even better heading.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

thebigsmoove
11-07-2017, 04:54 AM
#ZagMaterial