• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

Gonzaga vs College of Idaho Part 2

Let's try for once to try to communicate without attacking other fans who don't agree with what we believe.

It was so much fun for me to see the new guys play: Larsen, Norvell, Kispert, AYayi. I enjoyed the announcers for once, especially Dan Dickau. I enjoyed his ideas about the team and especially the new players. He is really high on Kispert. We didn't see him on his best night offensively, but I sure enjoyed his intensity on defense. He has great footwork, as was on display while guarding a guard six inches shorter. I expect him to be one of the key players on offense.

Out of all the new players we saw last night, I felt Norvell played the best. He made 4 or 5 threes. I too love his left handed shot. My older brother was a lefty and he was my hero. He also had some beautiful assists, the best being a no-look pass to Larsen I think for a layup.

It was obvious that Larsen has gained weight and all of it muscle. He's a real good rebounder. I like how he keeps the ball above his head. He does have very good hands. He received some beautiful no-look passes from Norvell and Hatchimura and was able to catch them and score. He still has a long ways to go in terms of his footwork, imo. But he has plenty of time to improve.

I enjoyed Ayayi's hustle on defense. He's as good on D as was reported earlier in the year. AND he is really really fast. Like Rui last year, I think his playing time will be limited or he may red-shirt.

It has always been the case, this kind of game is always for the new players to get their shots. AND they did. This game has never been about lettermen.

I felt our returning lettermen played as is expected. Please don't judge any of them on their performance in this game. They are all really good. How can anyone complain when we score 96 points, and about 12 of College of Idaho's points came in while our clean up crew was in the game and not playing good defense against the 3.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • amaronizag
    Bleeds GU Blue
    • Jul 2013

Reborn, your posting frequency dropped off there for a while. Glad to see you showing up more often of late. On Friday, I missed your traditional "It's Game Day" post.

Comment

• Reborn
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2007

thanks. I thought about starting that thread but felt it was really a GAME because it didn't count. This is considered to be more of a practice game I think.

Comment

• GrizZAG
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2009

Now that we are back on topic
        I was most excited to see Larson. He's not 300 lbs but what great hands! How will he defend against skilled bigs (Jock) is the question. I love how smooth he was taking the feeds.
        One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Comment

• WallaWallaZag
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GrizZAG View Post
          I was most excited to see Larson. He's not 300 lbs but what great hands! How will he defend against skilled bigs (Jock) is the question. I love how smooth he was taking the feeds.
          he's going to have to really develop and become highly skilled because he's not a great athlete and doesn't have the overwhelming size of a karno...realistic goal would be a landale-type player???

Comment

• billyberu
            Bleeds GU Blue
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GrizZAG View Post
            I think Jock will be tough for Larsen to defend. Of course, the best way to defend him is to limit where and when he gets the ball. No question that we can defend their guards with our starters.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
            There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
            Surfmonkey89

Comment

• Zagceo
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2013

Originally posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
              he's going to have to really develop and become highly skilled because he's not a great athlete and doesn't have the overwhelming size of a karno...realistic goal would be a landale-type player???
              ya mean this Jock Landale?

Arizona tops Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook’s preseason Top 25. The Wildcats of coach Sean Miller barely edged out Michigan State for the top spot in the “bible” of college basketball’s 37th annual rankings. “This was a close one,” Blue Ribbon editor and publisher Chris Dortch said. “Both Arizona and Michigan State were worthy No. 1 candidates, and a strong case could have been made for Duke and Kansas, too. But in the final analysis, our writers and editors liked the size and experience Arizona can put on the floor.” Duke and Kansas are No. 3 and 4 in the poll, and Kentucky rounds out the Top 25. The Atlantic Coast Conference leads all conferences with six teams in the rankings, and for the second consecutive year, the West Coast Conference is represented by its two stalwarts, Gonzaga and Saint Mary’s. Blue Ribbon announced its five-man preseason All-America team a month ago—JOCK LANDALE of Saint Mary’s, ETHAN HAPP of Wisconsin, MICHAEL PORTER, JR. of Missouri, BONZIE COLSON of Notre Dame and GRAYSON ALLEN of Duke. In addition, Colson was voted the publication’s preseason national player of the year, and Porter was chosen national newcomer of the year, and Blue Ribbon released its second, third and fourth-team All-Americans. Blue Ribbon’s 37th edition—in perfect bound, spiral bound or tablet version—can be ordered at blueribbonyearbook.com. BLUE RIBBON COLLEGE BASKETBALL YEARBOOK PRESEASON TOP 25 Arizona Michigan State Duke Kansas Kentucky Louisville Wichita State Florida West Virginia North Carolina USC Villanova Cincinnati Purdue Seton Hall Miami Saint Mary’s Minnesota Notre Dame Gonzaga Xavier UCLA Northwestern Alabama Virginia Tech NEWCOMER OF THE YEAR MICHAEL PORTER, JR. • 6-10 FR, Missouri PLAYER OF THE YEAR BONZIE COLSON • 6-5 SR, Notre Dame 2017-18 BLUE RIBBON ALL-AMERICA TEAMS FIRST TEAM JOCK LANDALE 6-11 SR, Saint Mary’s ETHAN HAPP 6-10 JR, Wisconsin MICHAEL PORTER, JR. 6-10, FR, Missouri BONZIE COLSON 6-6 SR, Notre Dame GRAYSON ALLEN 6-5 SR, Duke SECOND TEAM MARVIN BAGLEY III 6-11 FR, Duke MILES BRIDGES 6-7 SO, Michigan State ALLONZO TRIER 6-5 JR, Arizona JOEL BERRY II 6-0 SR, North Carolina DEVONTE GRAHAM 6-2 SR, Kansas THIRD TEAM DEANDRE AYTON 7-1 FR, Arizona YANTE MATEN 6-8 SR, Georgia TREVON BLUIETT 6-6 SR, Xavier JEVON CARTER 6-2 SR, West Virginia JALEN BRUNSON 6-2 JR, Villanova FOURTH TEAM ROBERT WILLIAMS 6-10 SO, Texas A&M ANGEL DELGADO 6-10 SR, Seton Hall GARY CLARK 6-8 SR, Cincinnati HAMIDOU DIALLO 6-5 R-FR, Kentucky LANDRY SHAMET 6-4 SO, Wichita State  

Comment

• MDABE80
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Jock was handled last year. Great player to be sure but we do have bigs who played him before and did well.
                Meanwhile........it was a fun exhibition. Our bigs should be solid. Williams looked much more bouncy and more mobile. Tillie looked very comfortable down low as well. Shooting superb. Kispert/Norvell did very well. College play is a Guards game. We'll see how they do. This team is one that has lots of growth potential. Quite a chore for Few coming up.

Comment

• Zagceo
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2013

Melson seemed more confident with his handle...

Comment

• SWZag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagceo View Post
                    I thought so too, which is a good sign. He's a leader on this team and needs to have the confidence. I thought he did pass up a few opportunities he should have taken, but as a whole, was very pleased with what I saw.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Comment

• Reborn
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Zagceo View Post
                      Yeah. 0 turnovers.

Comment

• TheGonzagaFactor
                        Zag for Life
                        • Oct 2011

Many things stood out to me with it being an exhibition.

One I'll note was that while Rui is obviously still learning, there were 3 times or so that I thought he was just going to barrel into the post with the defense resetting. However- he stopped, pulled back out, and restarted the offense each time because the take was never there. Good to see some self-control which will be key in his development this season. This was good to see after hearing whispers that he is still lost in half court sets.
                        "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

Comment

• TheGonzagaFactor
                          Zag for Life
                          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by SWZag View Post
                          I thought so too, which is a good sign. He's a leader on this team and needs to have the confidence. I thought he did pass up a few opportunities he should have taken, but as a whole, was very pleased with what I saw.
                          I convinced myself that Perkins and Melson were trying to get the new guys some looks. Of course they want to get theirs as well, but they both seemed a little passive in a "getting others involved" type of way. Neither were bad at all, but neither had the amount of touches or shots that I thought they would.
                          "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

Comment

• Zagricultural
                            Professional Zag Fan
                            • Nov 2012

Anyone know where I can get a replay online? Robert Perry Network on Youtube is most definitely missed!

Comment

• PoMoZAG
                              Bulldog Fan
                              • Dec 2010

Replay: https://watchstadium.com/live/colleg...ho-at-gonzaga/

Comment

Working...
                              X