PDA

View Full Version : rivals preseason power rankings out and..

omahazag
10-24-2007, 06:06 AM
Pargo (#19, PG), Hytvelt (#12, PF), and Coach Few (#14 Head Coach) made the list.....Be interesting to see where these guys end up at the end of the year!!

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=730614

cggonzaga
10-24-2007, 07:23 AM
You know Pargo is soaking every bit of this up thinking he's the best pg out there. He already plays with a chip on his shoulder. This is only adding fuel to the fire.

Rubbadub
10-24-2007, 07:28 AM
terrible rankings. especially coach and pg.

MDABE80
10-24-2007, 08:38 AM
Sorry but at #19, I don't think Jeremy has much to crow about. You're a long way from the NBA if you're only 19.
Josh has yet to play a full season even though last year he showed major promise.

We all know our team and it's players.....and we think they're very good. In some cases, we think some are spectacular and NBA bound. Well, it's rare to go from GU to the NBA. Josh, Jeremy, etc have quite a way to go IMO..... even though they have lots of talent.

What's really impressive to me is that nobody in Arkansas had even heard about Gonzaga 10 years ago. Amazing the growth.

Hank
10-24-2007, 09:25 AM
Greg Paulus at #10 and Pargo at #19 and MDABE80 says Pargo has nothing to crow about? You've got to be kidding me. As far as the rarity of GU players making the NBA, I'd agree with this statement for years prior to around 99. With the direction this program is going, don't be shocked to see a GU player get drafted to the NBA every year. I know the Zags team and all it's players, but I question whether or not MDABE80 does. Sorry if I offended, but I gotta stick up for my boys...especially Pargo!

Rubbadub
10-24-2007, 09:28 AM
Greg Paulus at #10 and Pargo at #19 and MDABE80 says Pargo has nothing to crow about? You've got to be kidding me. As far as the rarity of GU players making the NBA, I'd agree with this statement for years prior to around 99. With the direction this program is going, don't be shocked to see a GU player get drafted to the NBA every year. I know the Zags team and all it's players, but I question whether or not MDABE80 does. Sorry if I offended, but I gotta stick up for my boys...especially Pargo!

I agree.

former1dog
10-24-2007, 09:29 AM
I know the Zags team and all it's players, but I question whether or not MDABE80 does.

Well, that was kind of a silly thing to write. (not offensive, just silly)

Just FYI, Abe knows the team pretty well.

Rubbadub
10-24-2007, 09:31 AM
Just FYI, Abe knows the team pretty well.

Oops, didn't mean I agreed with that part. I don't think Abe's ranking of Pargo is nearly high enough though.

J-Lo
10-24-2007, 09:39 AM
Wow, Hank thunders onto the board and quasi-insults one of the more respected and knowledgeable posters, all before reaching the 5 post mark. Way to go man!:lmao:

(PS: yes, I realize I only have 36 posts on the new board, it was still hilarious.)

Northspokane
10-24-2007, 09:53 AM
Who cares about these preseason power rankings of players. Every fan of thier school thinks their player should move up a spot or two. It is pointless to even care about PRESEASON POSTION POWER RANKINGS. Let the action on the court show who is good. I am sure that is what Pargo is going to do.

The only thing I would gripe about is Mark Few being so low. He is a Top 5 coach IMO. But at worst TOP 10. Oh well.

cggonzaga
10-24-2007, 10:47 AM
I've gotta agree with Hank on this one. That was not one of Abe's better posts. I don't believe Abe really believes there is 18 better pg's in the country. Pargo will prove all the naysayers wrong so I'm not too worried. As far as the comment about some of us loving our Zags a little too much, I think that's unfair. I still view our players without a bias. I know Abe makes Pendo out to be the best player on the team. We all that's just not true. Also, just because one of the more "well known" posters posts something, it doesn't mean someone else can't disagree with them. It doesn't make them anymore a Zag fan that anyone else.

sonuvazag
10-24-2007, 10:53 AM
I'm confused. What does "to crow" mean. I thought it was bragging.

Hank
10-24-2007, 02:14 PM
Wow, Hank thunders onto the board and quasi-insults one of the more respected and knowledgeable posters, all before reaching the 5 post mark. Way to go man!:lmao:

(PS: yes, I realize I only have 36 posts on the new board, it was still hilarious.)

I respectfully disagree with Abe. Being a "newbie" on here, perhaps I should have been a little less zealous in my response to Abe's post. Abe..if I ever see ya around, 1st drinks on me bud.:)

former1dog
10-24-2007, 02:19 PM
I respectfully disagree with Abe. Being a "newbie" on here, perhaps I should have been a little less zealous in my response to Abe's post. Abe..if I ever see ya around, 1st drinks on me bud.:)

There, that's not silly at all. :D ;)

MDABE80
10-24-2007, 05:14 PM
Must have been a misunderstanding. Jeremy at # 19 isn't MY choice but somebody thinks that's where he belongs. And..to be sure it's not a high end position to be in. I don't believe in these preseason polls and I've said it for years. Players move up and they move down. The "predictive value" isn't great.
Cgg says "You know Pargo is soaking every bit of this up thinking he's the best pg out there. He already plays with a chip on his shoulder". Not sure what you mean by this. If Jeremy really does think he's the best PG out there, he should think again. NOT a single publication agrees with him.....and I read them ALL. He going to need a spectacular season to prove it to others. If he's really a #19 PG, he has a way to go. I like him better than a #19 but I don't vote (yet).

I've never said Pendo is GU's best player. To me though, Pendo embodies each and every characteristic as a play I like to see representing the program. IN person, he's just a non pretentious, nice , well spoken his. On the court, he's ferocious and tries as hard as anyone we've had in at least 10 years. Means something to me. What David lacks in talent, he more than makes up for in effort.

As far as the other rankings go, I think Josh's is a bit low knowing how talented he can be. He'll need to earn it to be higher though. It's this perception than "drug guys"..even if it only one flub, deserve to be punished. SO what are the scribes going to do? Vote him less than I think he should be.

Few is only at #14 because of our WCC IMO. This league simply HAS to get better. I think it will but it's so hard to dig out of this abysmal hole the WCC seems to be in. As far as a coach goes though.....ie gets the most out of his players and wins games, Coach should be a top 10 guy.

Remember all you enthusiastic guys, GU didn't exactly tear the place up last year. It was to be a rebuilding year and it was. Compound that with an early out from a starter and note that we were lucky as hell to win the league. Also, please be mindful that last season GU sustained more losses than any season in the past 10 years. Couple that data with all these new faces ( which I think will be very key to successes) and that we haven't won a game yet, all the "world beating" , "stand up for my guys" attitude falls a bit short and is simply premature.

Very few people who post on this board have supported the University or this Program as fervently as Abe. I like humility and do prefer we let the team do its talking on the floor. We'll need ALL out guys back next year if we're going to win a Final Four berth. I detest the talk of early defections based on some writer's idea of a number which somehow might correlate with an early NBA career. Serves no purpose..... and it isn't so good for players who need to approach the game with focus and humility to really excell as a Zag player.

pbriz
10-24-2007, 06:11 PM
Diamon Simpson....

Similar skill package as Weaver with about a million times less credit. If he can perform against Oregon, SIU, and Texas he may blow up just like Rodney Stuckey and Morris Almond and start getting some credit.

HOOTER
10-24-2007, 06:31 PM
The only thing I would gripe about is Mark Few being so low. He is a Top 5 coach IMO. But at worst TOP 10. Oh well.

That's the truth. If Few were the coach of a big name program, all else being the same, he would certainly be top 10. But like you said, these pre-season rankings really don't mean anything.

bigparb
10-24-2007, 06:49 PM
:lmao:

Pargo at #19 is an absolute joke....

Honestly, I haven't posted in a while but I couldn't stay quiet for this one.....

Let me repeat this again....

Pargo at #19 is an absolute joke....

One could make an argument for Collison because frankly I think the guy is great, but to say that the other 17 are better than Pargo right now is a slap in the face to Jeremy.

This is the kind of thing that a guys prints out and has Kinko's enlarge so that it can be hung on the wall next to his bed. Then, every night when he looks at it before his eyes close, that fire deep down inside can remain hot!!

You had better believe that when Pargo gets the chance to face off against any of these guys, he'll make it a personal mission to make sure everyone knows who's the best PG on the floor....that's what warriors do!!

P.S.---This passionate defense of Pargo is predicated on the belief that his jumper will be much improved this season....:pray: