PDA

View Full Version : Powodzenia Przemek

JPtheBeasta
10-29-2017, 06:58 AM
This is not Tommy's latest recruit from over seas. Powodzenia is Polish for good luck. I hadn't seen the following story posted anywhere. I also hold to the view that Karnowski isn't an old dog until the season officially starts, so I started this thread in the MBB Forum. It is also too good of a story- in my opinion- and I wanted it to get as much exposure as possible, as I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere. I agree with this sentiment that opens the piece: He cast a long (and wide) shadow. It just didn’t feel right starting a new season without remembering the most talked about player over the last five. There are some interesting tidbits about his recruitment, last few games at GU, back injury (I didn't realize how dire it truly was), and more.

There are several good quotes in there. including this one:

Tommy Lloyd discovered Shemmy while scouting Kevin Pangos at the U17 World Championships. During the tournament, the big guy averaged 14.5 points, 11 rebounds and moved impressively well for someone his size. The University of California also noticed him and began actively recruiting within weeks of Lloyd’s initial contact. Thanks to Lloyd’s half-dozen trips to Poland, Gonzaga won out despite last minute sniping attempts by Duke and Kansas. According to a 2014 Sports Illustrated article, after committing, Karno had to call Lloyd to locate Spokane. He couldn’t find the name anywhere on his map of Washington D.C.

https://www.slipperstillfits.com/2017/10/22/16512976/gonzaga-basketball-karnowski

SWZag
10-29-2017, 07:52 AM
:link:

JPtheBeasta
10-29-2017, 08:17 AM
:link:

https://www.slipperstillfits.com/2017/10/22/16512976/gonzaga-basketball-karnowski

Sorry about that. The OP was also edited to include the link just now. Is there a more friendly link emoji? They always appear to be so hot-headed... :]

GrizZAG
10-29-2017, 08:56 AM
Thanks JPBatista for putting this here. That is a wonderful article for all time.

GoZags
10-29-2017, 09:15 AM
Thanks JPBatista for putting this here. That is a wonderful article for all time.

Bingo

JPtheBeasta
10-29-2017, 09:51 AM
I was hoping some other people would enjoy it as much as I did. Sorry about the oversight with the missing link.

CDC84
10-30-2017, 07:57 AM
I think he's going to go down as one of the most underrated players we've seen in college basketball in recent memory. It cannot be emphasized enough that this 7-1 kid from Poland has won more college basketball games than any player in history. Now part of that is a product of his teammates, but a good part about it was how much he made his teammates better. Interesting observation on Karno getting poked in the eye during the South Carolina game which may have effected his play in the title game. I forgot about that. I still don't understand the media who felt that Kennedy Meeks and other UNC big men bothered Karnowski. How can a defender bother a big guy who is missing point blank 5 foot jump hooks? Shem had good post position throughout much of the game. Karnowski still had 3-4 inches on Meeks and 40-50 pounds. It seemed to be everyone's take after the game that UNC's better, more athletic frontline bothered him. I viewed it as just a game where Karno didn't play well. Which isn't to say that every shot he put up was a bunny, but there were enough missed bunnies that it could have made the difference between GU winning or losing the game. It's not like every game during his career was brilliant. He had nights when he struggled to score against 6-7, 240 pound centers.