PDA

View Full Version : For 2nd-place Zags: Rui or Zach?

BobZag
10-20-2017, 12:10 PM
I'm thinking Zach Norvell knows the game of basketball better than Rui. He proved to be a prolific scorer in Chicago. I see Zach starting from the get-go, and if Rui catches onto Few's system more, he could be the Zags' 6th Man, ala Silas last year.

Agree?
Disagree?

Other than this: Perkins, Silas, JW3, Tillie.

sittingon50
10-20-2017, 12:27 PM
Didn't get to KIK this year BZ, but based on what else I have perceived I think I would go along with you.

gonzagafan62
10-20-2017, 12:35 PM
2nd place?

Gonzdb8
10-20-2017, 12:35 PM
2nd place. lol. I'll take some of that action if you're giving any :-)

And I agree. Norvell over Rui.
Perkins, Silas, JW3, Tillie, Norvell. One thing for sure, this team is going to run.

bballbeachbum
10-20-2017, 12:41 PM
I'm thinking Zach Norvell knows the game of basketball better than Rui. He proved to be a prolific scorer in Chicago. I see Zach starting from the get-go, and if Rui catches onto Few's system more, he could be the Zags' 6th Man, ala Silas last year.

Agree?
Disagree?

Other than this: Perkins, Silas, JW3, Tillie.

should get the dogs barking, here's my howl

have not seen Zach play hardly at all, but read about him and his high school career and saw the clips right here like all here, so really, just hope he can be healthy and express himself free of pain and go for it, and the rest will happen. I just want to see him play, whenever he plays, see that sweet release, his leadership. can step right into Mathews role

Rui has been working on what with the Zag staff, idk, but I'm psyched to see how he's deployed. He's got an interesting toolbox developing. Going to be a tough matchup on the perimeter because of his release and size if he can be consistent like he was this summer for example, and he was a load in the block too with a variety of releases. On D, we'll see what Few and co. have in mind, but his O board work could be something nice, whether starting or off the bench

hope both stay healthy so they can contribute. Rui could be an explosive 6th man, crazy matchup deal when the other team starts subbing too...who knows, fun pieces to have though

maynard g krebs
10-20-2017, 12:46 PM
Agree as well. ZN knows what he's doing more at this point, and having him starting means better half court offensive flow to start the game. Goshzagit could well be right too; it could easily be Kispert, who comes in just as ready as guys like Pangos/Bell, but I'd give Norvell the edge due to his year in the system.

Rui at this point imo is perfectly suited to the 6th man role, coming in for a spark of instant offense and a change of pace, and most opponents' second unit will have no answer for him.

I also think a lineup w/ all 3 of those guys on the floor together w/ either Tillie or JW3 and either pg could be deadly, esp. in transition, for stretches.

JPtheBeasta
10-20-2017, 12:49 PM
Rui would be very versatile off the bench and could be used at the 3 and the 4. There is much more need for post-depth than guard depth. Few likes 3-guard lineups.

But...

Gentry has Rui in his starting 5 and knows more than me.

But...

Tommy mentioned envisioning Tillie and Rui playing together a lot.

I think Fee has said that Norvell is streaky and Rui is a work in progress.

I’ll go Norvell.

VinnyZag
10-20-2017, 12:51 PM
I think the best version of the Zags is one where Hachimura is good enough to win the starting job. Due to his size and NBA level athleticism. So that's what I'm hoping for.

But I'm excited to see them both play. Just three weeks to wait now.

Bing
10-20-2017, 12:52 PM
Last night Tommy Lloyd said the Zags would be starting 6’9” Hachimura, 6’9” Williams III, and 6’10” Tillie across the front and would be bringing in 7’0” Jacob Larsen as part of the rotation. He also said Willams and Tillie would split 4/5 duties and that Rui would play some 4 (along with starting as a 3).

Mantua
10-20-2017, 12:57 PM
Last night Tommy Lloyd said the Zags would be starting 6’9” Hachimura, 6’9” Williams III, and 6’10” Tillie across the front and would be bringing in 7’0” Jacob Larsen as part of the rotation. He also said Willams and Tillie would split 4/5 duties and that Rui would play some 4 (along with starting as a 3).

We’ll see.

ZN could possibly leapfrog the rotation.

ZagMan in Philly
10-20-2017, 12:58 PM

That is a nice front line. Here wishing Hachimura will shine right of the get go, and I believe he will.

JPtheBeasta
10-20-2017, 01:06 PM

That satisfies the dilemma for me. (This information would have been nice 5 minutes ago before I put out my rambling response:)

TexasZagFan
10-20-2017, 01:09 PM
That satisfies the dilemma for me. (This information would have been nice 5 minutes ago before I put out my rambling response:)

Rui showed off a sweet fade-away from the paint this summer. That shot is unstoppable.

bballbeachbum
10-20-2017, 01:22 PM

haha

zag buddy
10-20-2017, 01:22 PM
My bet is the 3 position is Cory Krisperts. I Don't know when it will happen, but it will happen.

Zagceo
10-20-2017, 01:36 PM
can't coach a 7'2" wing span...:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=60&v=UZaMV0rtAG8

maynard g krebs
10-20-2017, 01:36 PM
2nd place?

Second place to North Carolina last year. I'll go with that.

bartruff1
10-20-2017, 02:04 PM
With all due respect Bing....is it possible you missed a qualifier like " could" or " should" or "at some point" or "might"....you know all that smoke from Jolly Mountain ......

I can't imagine that the real Tommy Lloyd would make such a simple declarative statement to that effect.....but if that is in fact true, then the team will be a lot better or worse than I though it would be...we all know he can score but he looks lost out there to me.

billyberu
10-20-2017, 02:58 PM

Agree?
Disagree?

Other than this: Perkins, Silas, JW3, Tillie.I like Rui's upside. I don't think we're going to see a confused, albeit talented, Rui on the floor this year. He's an athletic specimen and a matchup nightmare. If he comes off the bench it just tells me that he's still enough of a defensive liability who doesn't yet deserve to start. My bet is on Rui being dominant.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

seacatfan
10-20-2017, 03:47 PM
I know you have to take mix tapes with a grain of salt, but wow Rui looks really good there. I hope that translates to this upcoming season at GU.

Reborn
10-20-2017, 03:53 PM

I'm going with Rui at the 3

jazzdelmar
10-20-2017, 04:18 PM
Kispert will end up the security blanket starter at the 3.

GoZags
10-20-2017, 04:24 PM
I know you have to take mix tapes with a grain of salt, but wow Rui looks really good there. I hope that translates to this upcoming season at GU.

Tommy said Rui’s command of the English language is much stronger. He also said Rui does things on the court that maybe a total of 10 human beings on earth can do ... ie his opposite handed dunk while taking off from his opposite foot from the free throw line at K I K. Tommy said there aren’t 10 living souls playing basketball on any level that could have done that.

Norwester
10-20-2017, 04:26 PM
Kispert will end up the security blanket starter at the 3.

You have to keep in mind there is a big learning curve with Kispert on the defensive end. For his entire HS career, he played on a team that ONLY played zone defense. He's got to learn Gonzaga's man defense, especially switches.

btzag
10-20-2017, 05:05 PM
Rui was always the favorite at the 3, he played well at FIBAs and we now have two staff members stating in public that he's a starter. Don't think it's even a question now.

Note though that this is a thin team and all 3 of those guys are going to play big roles this year.

webspinnre
10-20-2017, 05:12 PM
I do think Rui starts. I'm most interested to see how the minutes end up being distributed between Rui, Norvell and Kispert, with Norvell being able to play the 2 and Kispert possibly also getting some minutes at the 4. I'm also curious about the backup to Perkins - is it Ayayi? Or Wade? Does someone take a redshirt?

cggonzaga
10-20-2017, 07:13 PM
I’ll go almost purely off what I saw at KIK. Rui oozed with potential that Gonzaga hasn’t seen from an athleticism standpoint. Athletically he’d fit in the NBA right now. Obviously he has some basketball to learn and play before then but the end result should make every Gonzaga fan drool.

Goshzagit
10-20-2017, 08:56 PM

Rui is closer to 6'7", and JWIII is 6'7.5".

Tillie is around 6'9", so close(r) to accurate.

Larsen is probably nearing 7', yet Coach Lloyd a bit overzealous with Rui and J3.

Love the enthusiasm and the growth spurts; no wonder we didn't think we needed another big. We made one up with all the extra inches going around. j/k

Bing
10-20-2017, 11:32 PM

Tillie is around 6'9", k

You are desperately needed on campus to fix all that ails Gonzaga Basketball ... starting with the official roster stats. j/k

http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/gonz-m-baskbl-mtt.html

titopoet
10-21-2017, 10:01 AM
I think Rui starts. When I saw him in the Summer U19, what I like was his expanded skill set and how his GU time has helped him expand to a 3. When I first saw him, he was a classic center, but they worked with him to become a 3 and while he is still learning the 3, he is the best option. Plus, as he continues to play the 3 he will get better and better, and the end of the regular season he will join the core four as a force. As Nigel said last year as he was asked to evaluate the team's returning players that Rui is such a hard worker.
ZN is a very important piece in Zags success, but remember his skill set is still as a 2 who can play a 3. He will fill the role that Melson did last year of a utility guy, bring a variety of skills to where he is needed.

Corey is going to be a great one, but he is still a freshman learning to play at the D1 level. He will be like Zach Collins last year, bringing energy off the bench.

Now, saying this it has to be said that the core four of Tillie, JW3, Perkins, and Melson are the heart and soul of this team. Those four are the most experienced players on the team (and in Zag history for that matter) and each has grown so much during their time at GU. Each one was an important part of the most successful team in Zag history and each one brings talent, skill set, and experience to the table.

Perkins and Melson are the most experienced backcourt in the history to the program. One is the only guard to play in three sweet 16, two elite 8, a final 4 and championship game. The other one played in two sweet 16, elite 8, a final 4 and championship game. You can coach that experience.

JW3 will be the leader of this team. I saw him grow so much that at the end of the season he was a different player. A confident JW3 can push for WCC player of the year and mention on some AA.

While the Zags will not have the back to the basket post presence like last year, with Tillie and JW3 they have two guys that have great faceup games together making them one of the most dangerous frontcourts in the country. That is why Rui is important. Having a great rebounder at 3 frees up Tillie and JW3. Both JW3 and Tillie are much better than Karnoski and Collins in their faceup game. (Karno and Collins have better back to basket post games.) In the KIK, JW3 did what we will see throughout the season: isolation on an opponent's big (Larson) and take him off the dribble. Tillie excels in the same skill taking opposing bigs off the dribble. Both can pass and with the shooters that Few can surround those two, it will cause matchup nightmares for other teams. Having Rui off the wing and the two guards capable roaming the perimeter ready to hit the 3 or slash to the basket make them a great team.

Who starts at 3 is the best guy to support the core four and in my eyes (and the coaching staff it seems) that's Rui.

Zagdawg
10-21-2017, 10:56 AM
A big piece of the puzzle is who is going to play defense --- we saw last year how important defense is in the game of college basketball--- who will fit in and play defense with the team-- we do not have the bigs to stop everyone at the basket --so the team is going to need to play solid team defense.

Kong-Kool-Aid
10-21-2017, 11:15 AM
If Rui has as much potential as people think this will be his last year at Gonzaga.

Mantua
10-21-2017, 11:17 AM
A big piece of the puzzle is who is going to play defense --- we saw last year how important defense is in the game of college basketball--- who will fit in and play defense with the team-- we do not have the bigs to stop everyone at the basket --so the team is going to need to play solid team defense.

Who will be our best defenders?

Zagdawg, you expressed my biggest concern. I don’t care so much about who is going to start as much as I care about the entirety of the defense.

cggonzaga
10-21-2017, 11:22 AM
Who will be our best defenders?

Zagdawg, you expressed my biggest concern. I don’t care so much about who is going to start as much as I care about the entirety of the defense.

I look at Melson, JWIII and Tillie. Sounds like Jones will be in mix as well.

BobZag
10-21-2017, 12:03 PM
Hearing it'll be Rui!

maynard g krebs
10-21-2017, 12:05 PM

Tillie is around 6'9", so close(r) to accurate.

Larsen is probably nearing 7', yet Coach Lloyd a bit overzealous with Rui and J3.

Love the enthusiasm and the growth spurts; no wonder we didn't think we needed another big. We made one up with all the extra inches going around. j/k

You're probably right. But in context, that's true about almost every college player; they list their height "in shoes", presumably w/ platform heels. JW3 looks the same as other guys listed at 6'9 as far as I can tell.

cggonzaga
10-21-2017, 12:34 PM
Hearing it'll be Rui!

That is one athletic starting lineup.

zagbeliever
10-21-2017, 01:25 PM
I think it will depend on the team we are playing. I think they will both see a lot of starts

ZagMan in Philly
10-21-2017, 01:34 PM
If Rui has as much potential as people think this will be his last year at Gonzaga.

I will take that, if he could lead the Zags to another Final 4.

MDABE80
10-21-2017, 01:59 PM
I doubt it'll happen but it would take Rui to be as good a player as he is an athlete to get this team back to the E 8 or FF. I can't figure if his production against his Summer opponents will continue vs a good D1 team. He was an amazing juggernaut last Summer.

seacatfan
10-21-2017, 03:03 PM
I think it will depend on the team we are playing. I think they will both see a lot of starts

Coach Few doesn't seem like the type to juggle starting lineups situationally. He's certainly made changes during the course of a season, but really not game to game changes (barring injuries of course).

MileHigh
10-21-2017, 03:29 PM
I know everyone is focused on the season ahead,but if Rui is indeed the starter this year, then Few will potentially have 5 new starters in 18-19. I say this because three of them graduate in December (Melson,Perkins,Williams) and the other two are projected to be drafted.

When is the last time Few had to replace all 5 starters?

gbnyba17
10-21-2017, 04:38 PM
I know everyone is focused on the season ahead,but if Rui is indeed the starter this year, then Few will potentially have 5 new starters in 18-19. I say this because three of them graduate in December (Melson,Perkins,Williams) and the other two are projected to be drafted.

When is the last time Few had to replace all 5 starters?

JP is a RS Jr so I don't think he will be going anywhere after this year. Also, if we're replacing Rui and KT that will mean this team did AMAZING things this year. I would be stoked if that's what it comes down to.

gonzagafan62
10-21-2017, 05:58 PM
Ain't no way no how does Zags finish 2nd place .... hear it every year, and it's only happened once

cggonzaga
10-21-2017, 06:49 PM
JP is a RS Jr so I don't think he will be going anywhere after this year. Also, if we're replacing Rui and KT that will mean this team did AMAZING things this year. I would be stoked if that's what it comes down to.

Being Mile has a personal relationship with Perkins this statement is a little concerning.

MileHigh
10-21-2017, 08:22 PM
Being Mile has a personal relationship with Perkins this statement is a little concerning.

Personal relationship yes,but no special insight into what he will do after this season. He graduates in December, and I imagine if he has a good season he will consider moving on to that next stage in a hoopers life, but there are always a lot of things that factor into those decisions.

bartruff1
10-21-2017, 08:56 PM
Ain't no way no how does Zags finish 2nd place .... hear it every year, and it's only happened once

Really ? ....every year ?.....except this year, I don't recall the coaches picking the Gaels to win the Conference...

willandi
10-21-2017, 09:06 PM
Really ? ....every year ?.....except this year, I don't recall the coaches picking the Gaels to win the Conference...

Probably right. It's just that several of the coaches are new. They see what the media posts...Gaels bring back a lot more than the Zags. It's just that the Zags have 4 players with NC experience, Rui is poised to break out, Norvell and Larsen are unknown (to them), not to bring up Wade and Ayayi.

The fact that that NBA draft site has 3 Zags going, two early and first round, and no Gaels is somewhat troubling, especially for the other coaches.

I wonder how much is wishful thinking!

Goshzagit
10-21-2017, 09:31 PM
all signs pointing to Rui.

Sounds like he'll be given a crack/opportunity/chance to show he can be consistent enough on BOTH sides to give us the best chance to win.

We've all seen Rui dunk, shoot, fly, and drive, yet ever seen him defend, or run a set play, or be in the right spot for spacing purposes? Notta once.

It appears he's improved, esp his language barrier.

All good signs and good for the team.

I still feel by Game 5 or 6, Kispert takes it from him, but love the fact Rui is playing well enough this 1st week of practice to gain the Coaches' confidence. Trending upward.

cggonzaga
10-21-2017, 09:41 PM

Sounds like he'll be given a crack/opportunity/chance to show he can be consistent enough on BOTH sides to give us the best chance to win.

We've all seen Rui dunk, shoot, fly, and drive, yet ever seen him defend, or run a set play, or be in the right spot for spacing purposes? Notta once.

I still feel by Game 5 or 6, Kispert takes it from him, but love the fact Rui is playing well enough this 1st week of practice to gain the Coaches' confidence. Trending upward.

No offense but I hope you’re wrong. I like Kispert but if he becomes starter over Rui it means Rui and this team isn’t playing up to potential. I’d rather Kispert was coming off the bench as a super sub.

ZagsGoZags
10-22-2017, 01:01 AM

Now this is NEWS. Plus nothing will develop more than playing time.

ZagNation
10-22-2017, 02:20 AM
Personal relationship yes,but no special insight into what he will do after this season. He graduates in December, and I imagine if he has a good season he will consider moving on to that next stage in a hoopers life, but there are always a lot of things that factor into those decisions.

Many Zags have made good money in Europe. Not a bad gig after graduation.

tyra
10-22-2017, 07:00 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Bing

I am more excited for this year than any in recent memory just because I think it will be so fun to see our incredible talent progress. That said, this projection (Rui starting at the 3) reminds me of how thin we are at the Bigs. One injury (however minor) or one bad foul night and we will have no margin of error. I’m not arguing against Rui starting at the 3 at all but just pointing out a concern.

Reborn
10-22-2017, 09:37 AM

I would say that most likely you didn't get a chance to see him play this summer in the Fiba tournament. I was shocked by how much of a team player he is. Ran their offense perfectly, and proved to be a very good passer and team player. The only problem with his team being even better is that the guards he played with were not really very good shooters. I kept imagining, over and over again, how good Rui will look when he is playing with the kind of talented players that Gonzaga has

Zagger
10-22-2017, 02:15 PM
Rui :)

Bet Rui gets a lot of press this season - including ESPN highlight vid appearances. No way will SMC be top dog in the WCC.

DixieZag
10-22-2017, 08:00 PM
Wow.

Surprised Lloyd let the cat out of the bag so early. Perk, Mellson, Rui, Tilie, JWIII

That's about the most high flying, starting line-up we've had in a long time.

Reborn
10-23-2017, 06:56 AM
I am more excited for this year than any in recent memory just because I think it will be so fun to see our incredible talent progress. That said, this projection (Rui starting at the 3) reminds me of how thin we are at the Bigs. One injury (however minor) or one bad foul night and we will have no margin of error. I’m not arguing against Rui starting at the 3 at all but just pointing out a concern.

Remember that Rui will also be playing the 4 some. It will help you feel better I think.