PDA

View Full Version : Bulletin Board Material - Zags Picked 2nd In WCC Coaches' Poll

strikenowhere
10-19-2017, 11:32 AM
https://www.slipperstillfits.com/2017/10/19/16504466/wcc-preseason-awards-gonzaga-bulldogs

Saint Mary’s (9), 81
Gonzaga (1), 73
BYU, 62
USF, 59
Santa Clara, 44
San Diego, 37
Pepperdine, 30
Pacific, 24
Portland, 21
LMU, 19

bartruff1
10-19-2017, 11:36 AM
Looks reasonable...I think BYU and San Diego maybe over rated.......... and Portland and USF maybe under rated....but those voters know much better than I .

Zagdawg
10-19-2017, 11:43 AM
I like the chip ---- gives em a chance to prove the coaches in the league wrong --also paves the way for another coach of the year trophy in the WCC for Few.

seacatfan
10-19-2017, 11:54 AM
Maybe, just maybe, this isn't a matter of disrespecting GU, but rather that the league coaches were impressed w/ SMC and they bring back more of their key contributors from last year than the Zags do.

Gonzdb8
10-19-2017, 12:02 PM
Maybe, just maybe, this isn't a matter of disrespecting GU, but rather that the league coaches were impressed w/ SMC and they bring back more of their key contributors from last year than the Zags do.

that and i think they get tired of voting for GU every year and like to mix it up when its even a remote possibility that little brother has a shot.

ZagzKrak
10-19-2017, 12:06 PM
While I think SMC will be good...but I'd be more impressed with a team bringing back 4 players that played meaningful minutes that got to the NC game...but I'm a homer so there is that. :lmao:

sittingon50
10-19-2017, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the vote, Randy.

webspinnre
10-19-2017, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the vote, Randy.

I know, right?

Still, I think this is reasonable, given the team they have coming back, and everyone we lost. While I expect to beat them in the end, I don't see anything wrong with this initially.

MDABE80
10-19-2017, 12:24 PM
Well put yourselves in SMC's shoes. If we had our 4 front liners back and were NOT voted to win the WCC, we'd be furious. Of course OUR 4 would be far better than their 4. :) Meanwhile it'll be hard to know how good SMC without Rahon who ran the team. No doubt they have talent.....but without a QB, it'll be a close verdict at the end.
A lot will depend on how tough we are. If we're dedicated to winning the WCC and show it on the court, I'm certain we can win the conference.

GoZags
10-19-2017, 12:42 PM
In my book a Sweet 16, Elite 8 or Final Four would be just as awesome (perhaps more so) if the Zags finished 2nd in league.

jazzdelmar
10-19-2017, 12:48 PM
Good on RB......and Kyle moving up.......The tide is maybe finally rising.

Kiddwell
10-19-2017, 12:51 PM
Sure wish BYU would get their act together. As huge as that school is, with its semi-monopoly on LDS athletes, with its mega-sports budget, they should be basketball boot-kickers* every year. Instead, they only go crazy-nutty when playing GU. (Well, OK, they do get in fist fights with Utah every now and then.)

Given BYU's yearly talent, wonder if Coach Rose is on the hot seat. Sort of like the UWKFC boosters who finally said, "Enough with having NBA guys every year but never going to the The Dance!" And, "What's up with little Gonzaga using our point guard to make it to the Championship Game?"

:]

<*Not "boot".> :o

MBAGael
10-19-2017, 01:10 PM
Just saw this on our board. Few is a master of bringing teams together quickly so I am thinking you will be top 20 all year. Hopefully our games are much closer this year. Good luck!

http://www.nbadraft.net/2018mock_draft

Zagceo
10-19-2017, 01:25 PM
Just saw this on our board. Few is a master of bringing teams together quickly so I am thinking you will be top 20 all year. Hopefully our games are much closer this year. Good luck!

thanks

Fill in the Zags....... guess which before looking

MDABE80
10-19-2017, 01:45 PM
NBA mockdraft may not be the greatest prognosticator but having 3 in the proposed draft slots says something....
If the guards perform well, we'll be there in the end (again). By January we'll know more about our backcourt. The scribes apparently don't trust our guards. I do hope Josh firms up as a PG. Wade will be a good one eventually. Silas can be great but inconsistent. Great defense though. Kispert and Norvell will matter.

The next recruiting season will be wild!!

thespywhozaggedme
10-19-2017, 01:58 PM

Doubt it

northsidezagfan
10-19-2017, 02:13 PM
Doubt it

+1

sittingon50
10-19-2017, 02:40 PM
+1

bartruff1
10-19-2017, 02:51 PM

zaguarxj
10-19-2017, 02:51 PM
Doubt it

I don't think SMC will blow the Zags out, but whatever...

sittingon50
10-19-2017, 03:30 PM
I don't think SMC will blow the Zags out, but whatever...

I'm doubt that happens either.

MBAGael is hoping they will be closer. Spy disagrees. And I disagree with spy. I think they have to be closer than last year, but hope they're not.

DixieZag
10-19-2017, 04:17 PM
Patchin radio show got it reversed, said the Zags were favored again to win the conference, at least I was pretty sure I heard that.

Maybe they just didn't even read it that closely. Assumed.

I think it's perfect for our guys. Defending NC game team, yes lots of new parts, but still.

Jazz is right, it does appear that the league might finally be a little better. But, damn I hate hearing some of those OOC scores early in the year, "University of Texas - Amarillo over ______________ 98 to 61."

Markburn1
10-19-2017, 04:18 PM

I think they will be. I'll be interested in a couple match ups. Who will guard Landale? If it's Larsen, it will be interesting if he can guard the high pick and roll. Zags were pretty good at that last year with Karnowski and Collins. Pretty sure JWlll and Tillie will be proficient in that regard. I don't think Naar can beat Melson off the dribble so he will have to use picks to get free. At that point, covering Hermanson and the other shooters becomes key as well as secondary rim protection. I predict the Zags are athletic enough to stop all of those options especially if Rui has learned where to be on defense.

BobZag
10-19-2017, 04:25 PM
https://www.slipperstillfits.com/2017/10/19/16504466/wcc-preseason-awards-gonzaga-bulldogs

Saint Mary’s (9), 81
Gonzaga (1), 73
BYU, 62
USF, 59
Santa Clara, 44
San Diego, 37
Pepperdine, 30
Pacific, 24
Portland, 21
LMU, 19

Love it! Finally! Yeeeeeeeeeehaaaawwwww! Thank yooouuuuu, coaches! :o

GoZags
10-19-2017, 04:54 PM
Love it! Finally! Yeeeeeeeeeehaaaawwwww! Thank yooouuuuu, coaches! :o

BobZag is BAAACKK !!!! Love it ...

hondo
10-19-2017, 05:19 PM

+1

DixieZag
10-19-2017, 06:08 PM
+1

And Hondo?

Wow.

Bobzag, followed by GZ, then Hondo.

Someone called out the varsity.

Bob seems full of hope since we're not picked to win the conference. Bob - hope? Are we sure it's Bob?

Nevada Don
10-19-2017, 07:28 PM
And Hondo?

Wow.

Bobzag, followed by GZ, then Hondo.

Someone called out the varsity.

I heard "varsity" so I immediately thought of me !
It's going to be an exciting season boys and girls. Can't wait.

sittingon50
10-19-2017, 09:11 PM
[QUOTE=Nevada Don;1333289]I heard "varsity" so I immediately thought of me !

:clap:

maynard g krebs
10-19-2017, 09:27 PM
I heard "varsity" so I immediately thought of me !
It's going to be an exciting season boys and girls. Can't wait.

They always told me you can't spell varsity without "sit".

CDC84
10-20-2017, 04:00 PM
I think the Gaels are going to miss Rahon a little more than some people think, but I can't argue against any of the coaches. Gonzaga has more talent across the roster, but it's raw and young. Landale is going to be a top 10 player this year in the country. He is in for a monster season. Landale figures to get the best of Gonzaga now that GU no longer has Karnowski to guard him. Until Tillie proves he can stay out of foul trouble, GU is going to have issues containing him.

Gonzaga is going to miss Karnowski, big time. He was so valuable to last year's team defensively.

I have to admit.....it seems so weird to not have a single coach in the WCC pick GU to win the league when they just nearly missed winning the gosh damn national title, and when it has been proven time and time again that SMC can't consistently beat Gonzaga.....but they feel like the right pick to win the league. That being said, I just get the sense that if SMC wins the league, GU will win the tournament. Or vice versa. There will be a split.

Birddog
10-20-2017, 04:29 PM
I have to admit.....it seems so weird to not have a single coach in the WCC pick GU to win the league when they just nearly missed winning the gosh damn national title, and when it has been proven time and time again that SMC can't consistently beat Gonzaga.....but they feel like the right pick to win the league. That being said, I just get the sense that if SMC wins the league, GU will win the tournament. Or vice versa. There will be a split.

If the OP's facts are correct, at least one did vote for GU.

maynard g krebs
10-20-2017, 04:55 PM
If the OP's facts are correct, at least one did vote for GU.

That would be Randy Bennett, who by rule couldn't vote for SMC.

But my guess is that all the other coaches were just waiting for a chance to pick someone other than the Zags All the polls/rankings have the two teams very close. Realistically is should have been a fairly even split btw the votes for the two teams.

DixieZag
10-20-2017, 07:29 PM
That would be Randy Bennett, who by rule couldn't vote for SMC.

But my guess is that all the other coaches were just waiting for a chance to pick someone other than the Zags All the polls/rankings have the two teams very close. Realistically is should have been a fairly even split btw the votes for the two teams.

This is almost surely right.

I don't really blame them to want something different.

bartruff1
10-20-2017, 08:21 PM
Except that about half of them are new and have only voted a couple times or less....just maybe they were being honest...

Coach Crazy
10-21-2017, 07:54 AM
This poll is dumb. SMC is irrelevant, until they prove it. I hope RB has a respirator, there will be a lot of dust in the air, and I'd hate to see him have a hard time breathing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zagger
10-22-2017, 07:27 AM
This poll is dumb. SMC is irrelevant, until they prove it. I hope RB has a respirator, there will be a lot of dust in the air, and I'd hate to see him have a hard time breathing...

Ha! :)
I think it's dumb too. Me overconfident in the Zags? No, I just feel we've got a darn good mix of players - who've been a bit overshadowed by key players from last season who are no longer on the roster. i feel the current Zags will shine quite brightly and certainly be ready for WCC play in December. I think both Perkins and Melson will be scoring machines now that they'll get a goodly dose of limelight. J3's going to light things up too and it'll be near impossible to contain Rui. I think we'll suffer a bit on D but still be good. It's our O that I feel is going to be VERY HARD to stop. The WCC is going to have a hard time with the 17-18 Zags - SMC included. And no disrespect to SMC. They're good and may just have a very good year - just not against the Zags.

bigblahla
10-22-2017, 08:15 AM
Gollum and his minions just might play the best TEAM ball in the WCC but the conference is a horse race...IMO they don't have the horses, conditioning and stamina to beat the Zags to the finish line...just like it has been written by others here, until they prove it....just noise in the air.

I love the motivation but think the Zags will be well battle tested by the time they have to take on Gollum and his precious minions from Moronga... ;)

Yes, Nevada Don, it's that time of the year again - Fan speak. :D

Go!! Zags!!!

TexasZagFan
10-22-2017, 02:14 PM
Gollum and his minions just might play the best TEAM ball in the WCC but the the conference is a horse race...IMO they don't have the horses, conditioning and stamina to beat the Zags to the finish line...just like it has been written by others here, until they prove it....just noise in the air.

I love the motivation but think the Zags will be well battle tested by the time they have to take on Gollum and his precious minions from Moronga... ;)

Go!! Zags!!!

We're sufficiently battle tested IMO. We have half of last year's rotation returning, along with some real studs accustomed to being the big dog on their previous team.

FGZagDad
10-22-2017, 05:32 PM

Ya, whatever see how it plays out....my money is on the ZAGS...

gonzagafan62
10-23-2017, 06:52 AM
I'll never put my hard earned money on SMC. They aren't as good as we are

bigblahla
10-23-2017, 07:30 AM
We're sufficiently battle tested IMO. We have half of last year's rotation returning, along with some real studs accustomed to being the big dog on their previous team.

On a individual level I agree. However as a TEAM, IMO, SMC has the edge to start the season....battle tested as a cohesive TEAM is different than being able to play the game at a high level. Come the time to begin the WCC conference the Zags will be ready for Gollum and his precious horde...

Go Zags!!!

Zagdawg
10-24-2017, 12:58 PM
College basketball preview: Saint Mary's the team to beat even after Gonzaga's incredible Final Four run

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2017-10-24/college-basketball-preview-saint-marys-team-beat-even-after?cid=ncaammsocial_tw_sf124907000&sf124907000=1

Nevada Don
10-24-2017, 01:25 PM
College basketball preview: Saint Mary's the team to beat even after Gonzaga's incredible Final Four run

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2017-10-24/college-basketball-preview-saint-marys-team-beat-even-after?cid=ncaammsocial_tw_sf124907000&sf124907000=1

Gollum and his minions just might play the best TEAM ball in the WCC but the conference is a horse race...IMO they don't have the horses, conditioning and stamina to beat the Zags to the finish line...just like it has been written by others here, until they prove it....just noise in the air.

Go!! Zags!!!

Anything can happen when the season starts. My objective/subjective opinion is that the Gaels have one of the very best teams in the country 1 through 10-12. SMC too has players, like GU, that are ready to shine. Players that few of you know their names. I really don't expect much of a drop off when a starter isn't on the court. RB has historically had a difficult time expanding his rotation. This year, he really does have the talent to do that, if he so chooses and I think the 2nd team will merit minutes.
Like you say, "it's fans speak" and we will find out soon enough. Go Gaels. Go Zags.