PDA

View Full Version : OT Domas makes headlines in Indy

Zagceo
10-19-2017, 09:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCEWFMlOlmw

NDIANAPOLIS – You just watch, Thad Young said after seeing Damontas Sabonis score 16 points -- on a perfect 7-for-7 shooting -- in the Pacers' 140-131 win against the Brooklyn Nets in their season opener Wednesday night. The Oklahoma City Thunder are going to rue the day they traded Sabonis to the Pacers. "Honestly," Young said, "I think we stole him from them."
It's just one game, but after Sabonis' performance Wednesday night, more and more Pacers fans may begin to agree with Young. Some might have become believers already.

“Damo is the real deal,” Oladipo said. “Damontas Sabonis can play basketball. Everybody kind of talked about the trade, me for Paul, but I didn’t come here alone. I try to tell everybody that will listen, that dude, No. 11, can play basketball. There’s a reason why the Pacers wanted him here.”

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2017/10/18/pacers-thad-young-after-season-opening-win-we-stole-damontas-sabonis-thunder/773968001/

kitzbuel
10-19-2017, 09:18 AM
I caught some highlights. His movements in college seemed to be a little rough at times. He looked markedly smoother and more in control last night.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

webspinnre
10-19-2017, 09:57 AM
It helps that they're using him as a more traditional Power Forward, rather than the stretch-4 that OKC was forcing him into due to ball-dominant Westbrook.

ZagOD7540
10-19-2017, 10:18 AM
Those moron coaches at OKC had him out of position. Domas needs to play in the paint and run the pick and roll. His energy is contagious! Go Pacers!

bartruff1
10-19-2017, 10:44 AM
It helps that they're using him as a more traditional Power Forward, rather than the stretch-4 that OKC was forcing him into due to ball-dominant Westbrook.

Yes....21 and with that potential.....what was Billy thinking ? He must not have talked to Few....I would have traded Westbrook in a New York minute....still would...

Zagdawg
10-19-2017, 10:49 AM
"Pacers' Thad Young after season-opening win: 'We stole' Damontas Sabonis from Thunder"

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2017/10/18/pacers-thad-young-after-season-opening-win-we-stole-damontas-sabonis-thunder/773968001/

TexasZagFan
10-19-2017, 11:32 AM
Those moron coaches at OKC had him out of position. Domas needs to play in the paint and run the pick and roll. His energy is contagious! Go Pacers!

Charlotte did the same thing with Ammo, wrong system, wrong position. Haven't heard too many people extolling Michael Jordan's management abilities, either.

northsidezagfan
10-19-2017, 11:38 AM
I think the "moron" coaches in OKC realized it made way more sense to structure an offense around Westbrook than it did Domas. Sabonis is one of my all-time favorite Zags and I believe will be the 2nd best Zag to play in the NBA, but OKC still absolutely won that trade. Paul George will get MVP votes this year.

Zagdawg
10-19-2017, 11:55 AM
OKC was not required to pick between running offense through Westbrook or Sabonis -- I think what people are saying is that playing Sabonis out of position and away from his strengths did not help the team in the long run. Both teams will be able to work with the players they received.

Zagceo
10-19-2017, 12:02 PM
I think the "moron" coaches in OKC realized it made way more sense to structure an offense around Westbrook than it did Domas. Sabonis is one of my all-time favorite Zags and I believe will be the 2nd best Zag to play in the NBA, but OKC still absolutely won that trade. Paul George will get MVP votes this year.

Not if George ends up coming home and playing with Lakers next year with James as the rumors hint.

OKC could be high and dry

jazzdelmar
10-19-2017, 12:10 PM
Oladipo is in fantasyland....."Everybody kind of talked about the trade, me for Paul....."

thespywhozaggedme
10-19-2017, 12:11 PM

Donovan had him camped out at the 3 point line, neutralizing his strengths. Oh and if PG goes home to the lakers, it was a 1 year rental.

northsidezagfan
10-19-2017, 12:14 PM
Not if George ends up coming home and playing with Lakers next year with James as the rumors hint.

OKC could be high and dry

“It’s Year One, and (the Thunder have) proven - and I haven't even gone through a season yet - and they've already proven everything on my check list (that) I can check off. That's what feels good. That's what makes me feel like, 'Hey, this can be a landing spot for me, and somewhere I can call home for years.'”

“Absolutely, absolutely, absolutely,” George said when asked if winning was above the Lakers on his list of priorities. “Winning takes precedence over all of it. That's the ultimate happiness. It's not location. It's not stardom. It's not 'where can I make the most money.' It's winning, and winning championships.

A lot can change in a season, but I think those rumors have really cooled since Russ re-signed and they landed Melo. Not to mention the tampering BS that the Lakers essentially came away from unscathed.

northsidezagfan
10-19-2017, 12:18 PM
Donovan had him camped out at the 3 point line, neutralizing his strengths. Oh and if PG goes home to the lakers, it was a 1 year rental.

You already have Adams on the low block and as a great pick and roll pairing for Westbrook, doesn't make sense to have two bigs down low when your point guard is the best in the world at getting to the rim.

bartruff1
10-19-2017, 01:59 PM
If everyone is standing around watching Wesbrook pad his numbers they will not win much....

mgadfly
10-19-2017, 02:10 PM
You already have Adams on the low block and as a great pick and roll pairing for Westbrook, doesn't make sense to have two bigs down low when your point guard is the best in the world at getting to the rim.

Unless Adams is playing 48 minutes, 82 games, you probably could have found a few opportunities to run the PNR with Sabonis. I don't think anyone is saying Sabonis should be the focus of any team's offense at this point, but when he is in, playing him on the PNR allows him to use his energy and rebounding. Playing him 25 feet from the basket in a Wiltjer type role wasn't going to help him or the team very much. Is the argument here that Westbrook isolations are better than Westbrook-Sabonis PNR? That might be true, but I don't think it'd be insane to argue that the PNR option would have been viable.

JPtheBeasta
10-19-2017, 04:23 PM
OKC obviously had to do what they thought was best to win, but Sabonis was not suited for that system. I love the move to the Pacers. The fans will go crazy over his heart and hustle.

Zagnificent
10-20-2017, 09:28 AM
OKC obviously had to do what they thought was best to win, but Sabonis was not suited for that system. I love the move to the Pacers. The fans will go crazy over his heart and hustle.

Some guys are just fun to root for. Steve Nash was that way for me when he was on the Suns back in the late 90s. Sabonis is another dude along those lines--just eminently likable, hard-working and scrappy. I also see a lot of that in Kawahi Leonard.

JPtheBeasta
10-20-2017, 12:02 PM
Some guys are just fun to root for. Steve Nash was that way for me when he was on the Suns back in the late 90s. Sabonis is another dude along those lines--just eminently likable, hard-working and scrappy. I also see a lot of that in Kawahi Leonard.

I agree on all counts. Steve Nash amazed me; I could never quite figure out how he was able to be so successful playing amongst the trees.

Sarenyon
10-20-2017, 12:33 PM
Some great pick and roll action in that highlight clip. Bonus will just eat that up!

EEzag
10-20-2017, 01:32 PM
Some great pick and roll action in that highlight clip. Bonus will just eat that up!

In todays game if you can hit that open baseline jumper you will have a long career in the NBA. You'll get that shot 3 to 4 times a game, and you will be open. that's an extra 4 to 8 ppg abouts.........and if his offensive boards keep up he'll be just fine. Maybe 12 and 6 this year......possibly 14 and 8? Not bad for year 2.

Mojo13
10-20-2017, 02:57 PM
I agree on all counts. Steve Nash amazed me; I could never quite figure out how he was able to be so successful playing amongst the trees.

Nash was one of those rare birds who saw the game a little differently than everyone else. Seems like it slowed down for him and he could see the game unfold a number of moves ahead of him. It helped that he was raised a fairly high level soccer player in a soccer family - both his Dad and brother were pro soccer players. He always said it helped him see basketball from a different perspective. His innate eye/hand coordination would have probably allowed him to be a pro athlete in a number of sports if he didn't pick bball. He was also a much better athlete than typically given credit for - we often misconstrue athleticism in basketball with how high someone can jump.

DixieZag
10-20-2017, 07:20 PM
Nash was one of those rare birds who saw the game a little differently than everyone else. Seems like it slowed down for him and he could see the game unfold a number of moves ahead of him. It helped that he was raised a fairly high level soccer player in a soccer family - both his Dad and brother were pro soccer players. He always said it helped him see basketball from a different perspective. His innate eye/hand coordination would have probably allowed him to be a pro athlete in a number of sports if he didn't pick bball. He was also a much better athlete than typically given credit for - we often misconstrue athleticism in basketball with how high someone can jump.

This is a good point.

Coordination, balance, lateral movement, quickness, just strength per pound; all important.

Nice post.

I first saw him as a freshman in some game in SLC, when his Broncos beat some team from Arizona. Fans knew he was special then.