PDA

View Full Version : And your new radio color commentator is...

Norwester
10-04-2017, 05:22 PM
Mo.

Morrison New Analyst for Gonzaga Basketball Radio Network
Former Zag will provide color commentary in 2017-18

SPOKANE, Wash. – Former Gonzaga men’s basketball standout Adam Morrison will be the new analyst on the Gonzaga IMG Radio Network for Zag men’s basketball games in 2017-18.

Morrison joins Tom Hudson courtside for all home and away games on the network. Hudson is entering his 16th season behind the microphone as the voice of the Bulldogs.

“We’re excited to have Adam join the Gonzaga IMG Radio Network,” Gonzaga IMG College General Manager Mark Livingston said. “He’s one of the all-time great Zags. His experience and success as a Bulldog will add an intriguing element to our broadcast.”

The first broadcast will be at the Numerica Kraziness in the Kennel on Oct. 7, beginning at 3 p.m.

Morrison played for the Bulldogs from 2003-06. He led the Bulldogs to a 29-4 overall record and a No. 5 ranking in the final Associated Press poll. Morrison led the nation in scoring in his last year, averaging 28.1 points per game. He is only the second Gonzaga player ever to do so. Morrison was the fourth GU player to earn Wooden Award All-American. He was a consensus Associated Press All-America first-team pick. Morrison also earned National Association of Basketball Coaches Co-Player of the Year and USBWA Oscar Robertson Trophy Co-Player of the Year accolades during 2006. Other national honors Morrison earned in 2006 were: Naismith Trophy Top Four Finalist, NABC All-District 14 First Team, and USBWA All-District 9 First Team.

A star player nationally, Morrison also dominated the West Coast Conference. He earned back-to-back WCC Tournament Most Valuable Player honors (2005, 2006) and was a two-time WCC First Team honoree. Morrison was named the West Coast Conference Player of the Year in 2006, after averaging 28.1 points and 5.5 rebounds per game, along with a 49.6 field goal percentage, 77.2 free throw percentage and a 42.8 three-point percentage.

Morrison finished his career as the third-leading scorer in Gonzaga history with 1,867 points. He is also third in the career rankings for field goals made (659) and fifth in free throws made (398). Morrison’s name is also scattered throughout the GU single-season rankings. He is first in single-season points (926 in 2005-06), field goals made (306 in 2005-06) and free throws made (240 in 2005-06).

Morrison was drafted by the Charlotte Bobcats as the third pick overall in the 2006 draft; the highest draft pick by a Gonzaga player.

Barrett Henderson
Gonzaga University
Sports Information Director

zagbeliever
10-04-2017, 05:40 PM
Wow! That should really be a lot of fun I think!

gonzagafan62
10-04-2017, 07:11 PM
What happened to santangelo?

Zagceo
10-04-2017, 07:31 PM
I really liked Matt.....gonna have to be really good to replace Matt IMO.

Hope it was Matts choice

Hooray4Daye&Gray
10-04-2017, 07:38 PM
Thank you for posting! What a fun way to find out, too.

Coming from someone that spent 5 years in sports talk radio, this is the greatest hiring in radio history.

I can't wait to listen to him. Infinitely more excited for this year's Kraziness in the Kennel.

Just downloaded the tunein app on my phone and saved the gozags.com link to listen to the live games this year. I can't wait to sit and watch Gonzaga basketball with Adam Morrison this year!

Rangerzag
10-04-2017, 09:18 PM
Thank you for posting! What a fun way to find out, too.

Coming from someone that spent 5 years in sports talk radio, this is the greatest hiring in radio history.

I can't wait to listen to him. Infinitely more excited for this year's Kraziness in the Kennel.

Just downloaded the tunein app on my phone and saved the gozags.com link to listen to the live games this year. I can't wait to sit and watch Gonzaga basketball with Adam Morrison this year!

Please accumulate some patience to use while listening online to the Zag bball webcast. The on-air talent is everything you would want.

The technology involved with actually getting the spoken word and other audio to the end user seems at times beyond the paygrade of somebody in the line of progression between the michrophone and your listening pleasure.

Just sayin .... be ready for some disappointment.

I much prefer the radio broadcast, but it is not at all unusual for it to not be there or just drop off in the middle of things. Do not rule out listening to the sound of one side (person) of the conversation taking place during the trouble-shooting process.

Once more, it is great when it works, but then again.

And this is trying both the tunein app and or the live streaming option found on a reagular computor browser by way of the 1510 KGA website.

I truly hope you never experience any of what I am relating and we both get to listen to each and every broadcast without restriction, but then again.

ZagNation
10-04-2017, 09:23 PM
What happened to santangelo?

I'm not sure but I'll miss him. #Legend.

jazzdelmar
10-05-2017, 04:07 AM
Curious no mention of MS in the release.

Mantua
10-05-2017, 08:58 AM

It’s a little disquieting. I liked listening to Matt.

RenoZag
10-05-2017, 09:42 AM
Perhaps Matt wanted less time on the road away from his family ? Good luck to him in his other pursuits. Hope Ammo does a bang up job for the radio audience.

bartruff1
10-05-2017, 09:44 AM
Perhaps Matt wanted less time on the road away from his family ? Good luck to him in his other pursuits. Hope Ammo does a bang up job for the radio audience.

+ 1....

demian
10-05-2017, 09:45 AM
I do not live in Spokane so I obviously cant listen to the games on local radio station in Spokane. Can someone tell me how I can find the radio station on line to listen over the internet. Thanks for any help

vandalzag
10-05-2017, 09:46 AM
Good for Ammo. Should make for very entertaining broadcasts. As far as Matt I would assume that his job running hoopfest along with family is taking precedent.

Zagceo
10-05-2017, 09:47 AM
I do not live in Spokane so I obviously cant listen to the games on local radio station in Spokane. Can someone tell me how I can find the radio station on line to listen over the internet. Thanks for any help

Free

https://tunein.com

zagbeliever
10-05-2017, 12:30 PM

Just a guess but I saw him on TV being interviewed about the 3 on 3 in Vegas. He has some involvement with that as well as Hoopfest. He's very involved in the community I suspect his schedule was hitting overload. I like him too. I think Mo should add something interesting once he gets the hang of it.

Hoopaholic
10-05-2017, 12:37 PM
I will withhold opinion until I hear the broadcast. Loved MS and will miss his skilled insight

demian
10-05-2017, 01:41 PM
Free

https://tunein.com

thank you Zagceo

Vanilla Gorilla
10-05-2017, 01:52 PM
From what I’ve heard it was Matt’s choice to step away. Wasn’t his full time job so he wanted more time with family and to concentrate on hoop fest. That’s all second hand but that’s what I heard a few weeks ago

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-05-2017, 01:56 PM
Ammo, unplugged and unfiltered...I'm psyched!

Zagdawg
10-05-2017, 01:58 PM
Jim Meehan‏ @SRJimm 6m6 minutes ago
No, he didn't want to be away from his family

John Burke‏
@nopinesrunner
@SRJimm Santanegelo get the boot ala Bud Nameck? MS did a great job. Hope Ammo does well.

jazzdelmar
10-05-2017, 02:36 PM
All due respect to Ammo, the story is as much about MS stepping away as Ammo stepping in. Either an incompetent PR person or some intrigue behind the move at play here.

webspinnre
10-05-2017, 03:01 PM
Matt will be missed. Hopefully Adam is excellent. Will this interfere with his HS coaching?

Norwester
10-05-2017, 03:01 PM
All due respect to Ammo, the story is as much about MS stepping away as Ammo stepping in. Either an incompetent PR person or some intrigue behind the move at play here.

Neither.

Santangelo partnered with Hudson for the last three seasons and six of the last seven. Former Zag standout Cory Violette provided commentary in 2014.

Santangelo thoroughly enjoyed the radio job but was running short of hours in the day. The executive director of Hoopfest is a husband and father of three, including two boys active in Spokane AAU basketball, a Hoopfest program.

“I loved it for a number of reasons: close to the program, close to the game, my friendship with Huddy. That’s a really big deal but he’s my neighbor now so I’ll still get to see him,” said Santangelo, who helps coach his two sons’ AAU teams. “All of those would be huge reasons to keep doing it, but you start to look at the time commitment.

“I have a day job and a family, that’s what it comes down to.”

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/oct/05/morrison-shooting-for-candid-perspective-on-gu-rad/

jazzdelmar
10-05-2017, 04:19 PM
Neither.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/oct/05/morrison-shooting-for-candid-perspective-on-gu-rad/

Gotcha. Thanks.

Zagceo
10-05-2017, 10:25 PM
Gonzaga University and it’s fans would like to Thank Matt Santangelo for 6 great years of covering Gonzaga basketball with his partner Tom Hudson. Matt will now be splitting his day job (Hoopfest) with coaching his boys and spending more time with hs family. Thanks Matt......to be continued

something short and simple would have been nice.....not to mention Professional

Hooray4Daye&Gray
10-06-2017, 09:19 AM
So anyway, back to the actual story.

A ton of Gonzaga fans' favorite player of all time, including mine, is now the color commentator for the radio broadcasts!

Can't wait to hear your stories and insight, Adam!!

You guys manage to find the negativity in every piece of news. On one thread it's bashing kids we're recruiting, on another it's bashing our future Zags that we should be celebrating committing here, and now on this thread it's focusing on how a press release didn't talk enough about how a guy chose to stop being the color commentator.

The news is that Adam Morrison is going to be on the radio! He's going to be awesome, and one of a kind.

Great hire - a lot of people like me are going to go out of their way to listen to Gonzaga broadcasts for the first time.

NotoriousZ
10-06-2017, 11:12 AM
So anyway, back to the actual story.

A ton of Gonzaga fans' favorite player of all time, including mine, is now the color commentator for the radio broadcasts!

Can't wait to hear your stories and insight, Adam!!

You guys manage to find the negativity in every piece of news. On one thread it's bashing kids we're recruiting, on another it's bashing our future Zags that we should be celebrating committing here, and now on this thread it's focusing on how a press release didn't talk enough about how a guy chose to stop being the color commentator.

The news is that Adam Morrison is going to be on the radio! He's going to be awesome, and one of a kind.

Great hire - a lot of people like me are going to go out of their way to listen to Gonzaga broadcasts for the first time.
I agree about the negativity, b!tching and such getting into too many of these threads, but not in this case. The “guy” is a Zag legend who did an incredible job broadcasting for us. A little explanation for his departure and gratitude for his service was warranted. I am happy for Ammo, but he’s got some big shoes to fill.

bartruff1
10-06-2017, 11:17 AM
All I know about Adam is what I have read or seen in the media, but imo, I think that it is important to him to have a success and build on it......so I hope he does well ....