PDA

View Full Version : Corruption Charges

Pages : [1] 2

Zagdawg
09-26-2017, 05:50 AM
"There will be a press conference today at noon to announce charges of fraud and corruption in college basketball. Federal criminal charges have been brought against ten people, including four college basketball coaches, as well as managers, financial advisors, and representatives of a major international sportswear company. The press conference will be livestreamed on Facebook @USAOSDNY."

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/press-conference-advisory-2

Andy Katz Retweeted
Tom Winter‏Verified account @Tom_Winter 30m30 minutes ago
More
BREAKING NEWS / NBC: The FBI has arrested several NCAA asst. basketball coaches in a corruption scheme. Presser @ 12n with U.S. Attorney

BREAKING MORE: Emanuel Richardson of Arizona is also a coach who has been charged in the corruption scheme according to court docs.

BREAKING: Lamont Evans of Oklahoma State and Chuck Person of Auburn University are two of the coaches charged in corruption scheme.

MORE: The fourth coach charged in the scheme announced by the U.S. Attorney's office is Tony Bland of USC

Jonathan Givony‏Verified account @DraftExpress 2m2 minutes ago
More
Jim Gatto, one of the Adidas' head basketball honchos, being arrested is huge news. Could mean some big names in college are about to drop.

TexasZagFan
09-26-2017, 06:07 AM
"There will be a press conference today at noon to announce charges of fraud and corruption in college basketball. Federal criminal charges have been brought against ten people, including four college basketball coaches, as well as managers, financial advisors, and representatives of a major international sportswear company. The press conference will be livestreamed on Facebook @USAOSDNY."

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/press-conference-advisory-2

Andy Katz Retweeted
Tom Winter‏Verified account @Tom_Winter 30m30 minutes ago
More
BREAKING NEWS / NBC: The FBI has arrested several NCAA asst. basketball coaches in a corruption scheme. Presser @ 12n with U.S. Attorney

BREAKING MORE: Emanuel Richardson of Arizona is also a coach who has been charged in the corruption scheme according to court docs.

BREAKING: Lamont Evans of Oklahoma State and Chuck Person of Auburn University are two of the coaches charged in corruption scheme.

MORE: The fourth coach charged in the scheme announced by the U.S. Attorney's office is Tony Bland of USC

Jonathan Givony‏Verified account @DraftExpress 2m2 minutes ago
More
Jim Gatto, one of the Adidas' head basketball honchos, being arrested is huge news. Could mean some big names in college are about to drop.

More sanctions to follow for Pacific?

Zagdawg
09-26-2017, 06:13 AM
"Four college basketball assistant coaches have been named in an alleged corruption scandal, according to documents released by the U.S. District Attorney in New York on Tuesday morning.

Arizona’s Book Richardson, USC’s Tony Bland, Auburn’s Chuck Person and Oklahoma State’s Lamont Evans were the four coaches charged with fraud and corruption.

Managers, financial advisers and representatives of a major international sportswear company are also involved in the investigation. Jim Gatto, an executive with Adidas, was arrested, as was Christian Dawkins, a former NBA agent who was fired from ASM Sports after he used a player’s credit card to run up $42,000 of charges on Uber.

A press conference will be held at noon to discuss the charges."

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/09/26/four-coaches-named-in-alleged-corruption-scandal/

Zagdawg
09-26-2017, 06:24 AM
University of Louisville appears linked to federal fraud probe of college basketball

http://www.wdrb.com/story/36454113/university-of-louisville-appears-linked-to-federal-fraud-probe-of-college-basketball

willandi
09-26-2017, 06:27 AM

HAHAHA...Funny! Also possibly true. However, I think they will find a different WCC team this time.

It would seem that any recruits that are trying to decide between the Zags and USC or Arizona, might do well to not pick the one likely to get sanctions.

jazzdelmar
09-26-2017, 06:45 AM
Tony Bland was at SDSU....'nuff said. The magician behind Fisher's "success."

Zagdawg
09-26-2017, 06:46 AM
Arizonas Book Richardson

"Richardson’s East Coast ties have been instrumental in securing players such as Lamont ‘Momo’ Jones, Parrom, Hollis-Jefferson and Alkins. His work has made UA a national threat when on the recruiting circuit and he is viewed as a highly respected recruiter among some the best in the nation."

"Talent like NBA first-round picks Derrick Williams, Aaron Gordon, Stanley Johnson and Hollis-Jefferson were all engaged with Richardson during the recruiting process."

http://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/article/2016/11/silent-but-deadly-arizona-assistant-basketball-coach-book-richardson-kills-it-on-the-recruiting-trail

jazzdelmar
09-26-2017, 06:48 AM
Seannie? Seacatfan? Hellloooooo?????

BoZarth
09-26-2017, 06:49 AM

That's good. :clap:

Zagdawg
09-26-2017, 06:49 AM
"According to court documents, Evans, Richardson and Bland all allegedly received benefits from Dawkins and Sood to influence student-athletes to retain their services."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20824193/ncaa-basketball-coaches-10-charged-fraud-corruption

kitzbuel
09-26-2017, 06:57 AM
University of Louisville appears linked to federal fraud probe of college basketball

http://www.wdrb.com/story/36454113/university-of-louisville-appears-linked-to-federal-fraud-probe-of-college-basketball

"The schools were not named, though one was described as “a public research university located in Kentucky” with approximately 22,640 students. The other school was described as “a private research university located in Florida” with approximately 16,000 students."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/09/26/justice-department-charges-college-basketball-coaches-with-accepting-bribes-in-corruption-case/?pushid=59ca6907d4ac501c00000063&tid=notifi_push_breaking-news&utm_term=.d3556b01de28

Looks like Larranaga was getting some help at Miami, too.

jazzdelmar
09-26-2017, 07:02 AM
At last, the chickens are coming home to roost

Kiddwell
09-26-2017, 07:18 AM
Arizonas Book Richardson

"Richardson’s East Coast ties have been instrumental in securing players such as Lamont ‘Momo’ Jones, Parrom, Hollis-Jefferson and Alkins. His work has made UA a national threat when on the recruiting circuit and he is viewed as a highly respected recruiter among some the best in the nation."

"Talent like NBA first-round picks Derrick Williams, Aaron Gordon, Stanley Johnson and Hollis-Jefferson were all engaged with Richardson during the recruiting process."

http://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/article/2016/11/silent-but-deadly-arizona-assistant-basketball-coach-book-richardson-kills-it-on-the-recruiting-trail

Sure like Sean Miller & Arizona. Hope none of this rubs off on him.

:[

jazzdelmar
09-26-2017, 07:19 AM

How can it not?

GonzagasaurusFlex
09-26-2017, 07:22 AM
How can it not?

Exactly what I was typing in response too Jazz. Head coaches get paid the big bucks to be accountable for their program. The Rick Pitino " I didn't know about it" defense is not legit...you're paid to know about it

007Zag
09-26-2017, 07:42 AM
What a blessing to have a coaching staff that does things the right way...I have every confidence this stuff just doesn't happen at GU.

kitzbuel
09-26-2017, 07:43 AM
Ooo! It looks like there were meetings "surreptitiously videotaped by the FBI". I hope that gets out so we can all see.

strikenowhere
09-26-2017, 07:50 AM
So - what are the odds that Taeshon Cherry (USC) and Brandon Williams (UoA) re-open their recruiting? Seems like there's going to have to be some sort of punishment for the programs...

jazzdelmar
09-26-2017, 07:51 AM
Ooo! It looks like there were meetings "surreptitiously videotaped by the FBI". I hope that gets out so we can all see.

Abscam, Jerry! Abscam!

jazzdelmar
09-26-2017, 07:52 AM
So - what are the odds that Taeshon Cherry (USC) and Brandon Williams (UoA) re-open their recruiting? Seems like there's going to have to be some sort of punishment for the programs...

Now you are going way too far. These jerks will be sacrificed and the rest will be swept under the rug outside the ADs' offices. Check out Jay Bilas' whitewash statement now on ESPN: "It won't affect recruitment....."

LongIslandZagFan
09-26-2017, 07:55 AM
Any Adidas schools in the WCC? SMC? I thought all but SMC were Nike schools.

kitzbuel
09-26-2017, 07:56 AM
I am interested in seeing how Arizona (Nike) and South Carolina (Under Armor) are linked.

LongIslandZagFan
09-26-2017, 08:00 AM
Agreed. Very odd.

willandi
09-26-2017, 08:07 AM

I wonder if they were the same meetings with Mayor Berry snorting Coke with hookers?

kitzbuel
09-26-2017, 08:10 AM
The charges are are for accepting bribes to steer students to agents and advisers of the apparel company.

Authorities say that Person agreed to accept $50,000 in bribes from a cooperating witness for the government in exchange for using his position at Auburn to steer student-athletes to retain the services of an agent. https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/09/26/coaches-corruption-fraud-scheme

Link to affidavit. Look at page 2.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/press-release/file/998756/download

thebigsmoove
09-26-2017, 08:10 AM
Any Adidas schools in the WCC? SMC? I thought all but SMC were Nike schools.

The indictment includes Nike and Under Armour schools as well. This is way bigger than Adidas.

jazzdelmar
09-26-2017, 08:20 AM
Bland, a former coach at San Diego State, brought a reputation as a star recruiter to USC.

In the court papers, the FBI says that Bland met in July with a sports agent, Christian Dawkins, in a hotel room in Las Vegas to talk about signing two USC players, a rising freshman who had just committed to the school, and a rising sophomore. The players were not identified in the documents.

Bland was paid $13,000 secretly provided by the government and the meeting in the hotel room was secretly recorded on video, the charges state. Bland also arranged for meetings with family members for the purpose of paying them.

“I definitely can get the players…. And I can definitely mold the players and put them in the lap of you guys,” Bland said, according to the documents.

“…Obviously we have a couple opportunities, where we have a gold mine over here,” Bland said, according to the FBI.

Complaint against coaches in college basketball corruption probe

Zagceo
09-26-2017, 08:32 AM
Jim Gatto, director of global sports marketing for Adidas Basketball, was among those arrested. He's accused of helping funnel approximately $100,000 to the family of an "All-American high school basketball player" to secure the prospect's commitment to a school that Adidas sponsors. According to documents, the prospect committed in June. The only "All-American high school basketball player" who committed to a school Adidas sponsors in June is Brian Bowen. He's now enrolled at Louisville.

wonder how deep the iceberg

MontanaCoyote
09-26-2017, 08:35 AM
BBallGate........Just Follow The Money.

ZagMan in Philly
09-26-2017, 08:42 AM
More reasons to dislike Arizona basketball, Oh Sean how do you do it? by letting your top assistance buy all your top recruits. SHAME. Don't tell us you did not know about this.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting/2017/8/9/16116826/arizona-basketball-2018-recruiting-class-commits-offers-oneal-quinerly-barrett-bagley-bol-zion

kitzbuel
09-26-2017, 08:42 AM
Louisville is effed. Quote of the indictment: "no one swings a bigger d!*k than 'Coach -2' (Louisville's coach) at 'Company 1' (Adidas)"

Zagceo
09-26-2017, 08:45 AM
yep

The indictment says it was a commitment to UL on June 3 that was subject of bribe..it looks like Brian Bowen committed on June 3.

Brian Bowen shocked almost everybody when he committed to Louisville last week, and even Rick Pitino was surprised with the Cardinals landing the five-star small forward.

Bowen didn't include Louisville on any of his five official visits, and practically every recruiting analyst didn't have the ACC program associated with the talented wing as his decision day loomed.

"We got lucky on this one," Pitino told Terry Meiners of News Radio 840. "I had an AAU director call me and ask me if I'd be interested in a player (Bowen). I saw him against another great player from Indiana. I said 'Yeah, I'd be really interested.' They had to come in unofficially, pay for their hotel, pay for their meals. We spent zero dollars recruiting a five-star athlete who I loved when I say him play. In my 40 years of coaching this is the luckiest I've been."

SWZag
09-26-2017, 08:54 AM
Once corruption gets a foothold, it's extremely difficult to get rid of. Let's hope this is just a start to cleaning up the whole process!

TexasZagFan
09-26-2017, 09:01 AM
Louisville is effed. Quote of the indictment: "no one swings a bigger d!*k than 'Coach -2' (Louisville's coach) at 'Company 1' (Adidas)"

IMO, it's time to send Pitino packin'. Yet he is deified by Dickie V and other "analysts."

A bit O/T, but it chaps my hide when those lower on the totem pole take the heat for those up higher. Not just in college sports, you see it in the military and federal government, too.

The military has been suffering through a rash of general officers abusing their positions of authority.

Bogozags
09-26-2017, 09:08 AM

I said it time and time again, we never should have allowed Pacific back into the WCC...this is all their fault!

Zagceo
09-26-2017, 09:11 AM
didn't make sense why Arizona was not playing in PK80......now it does

bartruff1
09-26-2017, 09:16 AM
Data collection and mining, combined with Artificial Intelligence will be able to identify statically improbable events....so it will be more and more difficult to cheat in the future...all you will have to do is ask Alexa....:)

kitzbuel
09-26-2017, 09:21 AM
didn't make sense why Arizona was not playing in PK80......now it doesThey were losing Nike recruits to Adidas. Nike doesn't tolerate that.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Zagceo
09-26-2017, 09:28 AM
for those that use face of book.....entire news conference .....LINK (https://www.facebook.com/pg/usaosdny/videos/?ref=page_internal)

TexasZagFan
09-26-2017, 09:30 AM
Once corruption gets a foothold, it's extremely difficult to get rid of. Let's hope this is just a start to cleaning up the whole process!

Yeah!!! We need to Drain the Swamp!!!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQejJWsgOsrAx86a3Ps9bnqHQXkHqveH ebsFJA9zY4uZAo7AX_P

ZagOD7540
09-26-2017, 09:36 AM

Give me a break! He will say he didn’t know...but he knows what’s going on in and around his program. Dirty!

Zags_Fanatic
09-26-2017, 09:45 AM
didn't make sense why Arizona was not playing in PK80......now it does

This has nothing to do with that. You can only have two teams from each conference and Phil Knight has deep connections to Oregon and Stanford. Knight went to business school at Stanford and just last year donated $400 Million to a scholarship fund. His connections simply left Arizona as the odd one out or they would have been included for sure.

Zagceo
09-26-2017, 09:58 AM
from comment on CBS sports page

If the NCAA was running this investigation they would have suspended assistants at Florida Gulf Coast, Niagara, Phoenix University and North Dakota State University School of Art and Fishing to show how tough they are.

JPtheBeasta
09-26-2017, 10:15 AM
Tony Bland was at SDSU....'nuff said. The magician behind Fisher's "success."

Interesting... it seemed odd how well Fisher was doing down there. I thought it had to be more than just the weather.

sittingon50
09-26-2017, 10:15 AM
I must say, this has been a pretty entertaining thread, thus far.

Zagdawg
09-26-2017, 10:19 AM
"Auburn suspends Chuck Person without pay over bribery scandal"

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/09/26/auburn-suspends-chuck-person-without-pay-over-bribery-scandal/

seacatfan
09-26-2017, 10:51 AM
First I've heard about any of this. Disappointing to say the least.

btzag
09-26-2017, 10:52 AM
I am just completely shocked that USC, Arizona and Louisville are involved in this stuff... wonder if this helps explain a little of our struggle to get highly ranked us players to our program or our o-fer on guards from the state of California.

Also a good lesson for people to remember...when a program is suddenly blowing up in recruiting and landing tons of top kids when they haven't done it in the past, there is usually something fishy going on.

Zagdawg
09-26-2017, 11:03 AM
"USC hires former FBI director Freeh to investigate, Tony Bland placed on leave"

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/09/26/usc-hires-former-fbi-director-freeh-tony-bland-placed-on-leave/

CDC84
09-26-2017, 11:15 AM
I don't like the sound of the name "Book" Richardson......

willandi
09-26-2017, 11:16 AM
I don't like the sound of the name "Book" Richardson......

OK Dano!

thebigsmoove
09-26-2017, 11:16 AM
IMO, it's time to send Pitino packin'. Yet he is deified by Dickie V and other "analysts."

A bit O/T, but it chaps my hide when those lower on the totem pole take the heat for those up higher. Not just in college sports, you see it in the military and federal government, too.

The military has been suffering through a rash of general officers abusing their positions of authority.

Barely been able to work today with all the energy ive been putting into talking down all these Louisville fans off the ledge. Its a dark day here in Kentucky. Lots of fans very angry and calling for Pitinos head on a spike now, lol.

Markburn1
09-26-2017, 11:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkY7W6kCRY4

It's gotta be!!!!!

CDC84
09-26-2017, 11:17 AM
Jazz's love of Slick Ricky Pitino and his L'Ville program has only increased :)

It is worth reminding people that Bruce Pearl coaches at Auburn. He doesn't exactly have a clean record with the NCAA.

willandi
09-26-2017, 11:18 AM
Barely been able to work today with all the energy ive been putting into talking down all these Louisville fans off the ledge. Its a dark day here in Kentucky. Lots of fans very angry and calling for Pitinos head on a spike now, lol.

Maybe they could get some hookers...wait. Tried that and it was bad too.

kitzbuel
09-26-2017, 11:18 AM
It's worth reminding people that Bruce Pearl coaches at Auburn. We know about his misdeeds while at Tennessee.

I think Auburn's reaction will be the same as Miami's; "Thank God it's not the football program!"

sittingon50
09-26-2017, 11:23 AM
"Auburn suspends Chuck Person without pay over bribery scandal"

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/09/26/auburn-suspends-chuck-person-without-pay-over-bribery-scandal/

I really like Bruce Pearl, but after his problems @ Tennessee, he may not get any "benefit of the doubt" here.

Edit: Posted this while on page #2. CDC mentioned the same in the post above.

sittingon50
09-26-2017, 11:28 AM

Just tweak that idea a little, will. Louisville can send some hookers to the NCAA offices. I'm sure all will be well.

btzag
09-26-2017, 11:28 AM
As in Robert Parrish to Centenary??? Ok, that was a few years ago...

Haha no, but there are a few others I would be highly suspicious of right now... Also on the same note was anyone else surprised that the unnamed school in Kentucky...was not Kentucky?

Zagdawg
09-26-2017, 11:31 AM
"FBI brings Armageddon to college basketball, and it's just the tip of the iceberg"

https://sports.yahoo.com/fbi-brings-armageddon-college-basketball-just-tip-iceberg-184524346.html

willandi
09-26-2017, 11:34 AM
Just tweak that idea a little, will. Louisville can send some hookers to the NCAA offices. I'm sure all will be well.

LMAO So true. Think Emmert could handle that?

willandi
09-26-2017, 11:34 AM
Haha no, but there are a few others I would be highly suspicious of right now... Also on the same note was anyone else surprised that the unnamed school in Kentucky...was not Kentucky?

A little bit. True

sittingon50
09-26-2017, 11:37 AM

So I suppose the NCAA now comes down hard on................the Hilltopper's? Condolences to our old friend 83.

CDC84
09-26-2017, 11:45 AM
LMAO So true. Think Emmert could handle that?

Slick Ricky Pitino will say that he has been "extorted."

CDC84
09-26-2017, 11:49 AM
So I suppose the NCAA now comes down hard on................the Hilltopper's? Condolences to our old friend 83.

You know what's funny about UK....apparently their men's team has a very high Academic Progress Report (APR) rating. But that's just kids promising to Calipari that they will stick out the 2nd semester to complete their ball room dancing and meditation classes.

Zagceo
09-26-2017, 11:50 AM
I think Auburn's reaction will be the same as Miami's; "Thank God it's not the football program!"

Auburns just thrilled to called "elite basketball program"

CDC84
09-26-2017, 11:59 AM
A quote from the Wetzel article:

Our investigation is ongoing,” FBI assistant director Bill Sweeney warned. “And we are currently conducting interviews.”

“If you yourself engaged in these activities, I’d encourage you to call us,” said Kim, the Acting U.S. Attorney. “I think it’s better than us calling you.”

Zagdawg
09-26-2017, 12:03 PM
Dana O'Neil‏Verified account @DanaONeilWriter 17m17 minutes ago

Arizona statement says Book Richardson suspended immediately and "relieved of all duties.''

CDC84
09-26-2017, 12:08 PM
I swear a sportswriter is going to do a typo and call him Bookie Richardson.

ZagOD7540
09-26-2017, 12:10 PM

Nice one! Hilarious thread

kitzbuel
09-26-2017, 12:15 PM

It was obvious and inevitable that it is Louisville.

Zagdawg
09-26-2017, 12:22 PM
Jonathan Givony‏Verified account @DraftExpress 9m9 minutes ago
Replying to @DraftExpress
The director of Nassir Little's AAU team is currently in jail, and there's a decent chance Little is among those named in FBI/DOJ complaint.

Jonathan Givony‏Verified account @DraftExpress 12m12 minutes ago
Two NCAA coaches involved in the recruitment of Nassir Little told me they had backed off this week as it became clear he was Arizona-bound.

Jonathan Givony‏Verified account @DraftExpress 12m12 minutes ago
Now the question is will they try to get back into the mix with the top-10 recruit? Will he ever be deemed eligible by the NCAA after today?

MDABE80
09-26-2017, 12:29 PM
I doubt this is widespread.....maybe 10 paces. One thing though, We aren't even getting a whiff of scandal and won't. Zona and USC should be quaking in their booties. In some ways, I'm wondering if UW will be cited. Romar got the best kids to come to a loser program. Especially this last thing with the Missouri bound kids.....Some of this HAS to involved hiring Dad's to be sure the kids come. When big money's in the loop, it seems bad things happen. Crazy salaries and who knows what's given to parents on the side from "uninvolved" boosters. Makes me wonder.

Zagdawg
09-26-2017, 12:33 PM
Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN 4m4 minutes ago

Arizona has postponed its men's basketball media day -- which was set for tomorrow. Probably a smart idea.

ZagOD7540
09-26-2017, 12:36 PM
Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN 4m4 minutes ago

Arizona has postponed its men's basketball media day -- which was set for tomorrow. Probably a smart idea.

Come on Sean Miller! What do YOU have to hide. I’m sure you new NOTHING about what was going on with your assistants

jazzdelmar
09-26-2017, 12:37 PM
Thank god for Mark Few ......

Zagdawg
09-26-2017, 12:38 PM
Abe brings up a good point with UW-- top recruits going to a losing program--(we know hiring recruits dads and former AAU coaches as college coaches is not illegal).

If you were to think of a program or two that might be in the mix to have something uncovered -- who would it be?

A couple -- Kentucky of course, Oregon seems to be one of the programs that gets more than its share of recruits (and they have Nike in close proximity), Missouri just recently -- anyone else?

sittingon50
09-26-2017, 12:41 PM
So is it safe to assume that the shoe guy will cut a deal & start singing?

I assume from the article quoted by CDC that the FBI's probe is not yet exhaustive.

DixieZag
09-26-2017, 12:43 PM

Isn't this issue one being brought down by the Justice Department? FBI? And not the NCAA? For real crimes, not "violations"? These would be for fraud, through state institutions (primarily, aren't they all?)? The NCAA itself would only be left to clean up the mess, right? Decide which schools would be sanctioned for what, going forward.

And, actually, the institution that might fear an FBI investigation the most might well be the NCAA. Fortunately for them, unlike an assistant BB coach, or an agent for a shoe company, the NCAA has enough money to buy the political power they need to keep the FBI off its back.

I am positive plenty of people in the NCAA itself either knew or suspected that much of this was going on and were either paid outright to look the other way, or the "understanding as to how this is done" is such no one needs to "know" details.

Bogozags
09-26-2017, 12:47 PM
+1

Zagceo
09-26-2017, 12:51 PM
UCLA left Adidas for Under Armour and record amount last year.....LINK (http://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-sp-0525-ucla-under-armour-20160525-snap-story.html)

welcome to "rollerballishing" of College sports

SwainZag
09-26-2017, 12:51 PM
Lot of death penalty talk going on right now about L'ville. At the very least I would think that Pitino has coached his last game.

Zagceo
09-26-2017, 01:01 PM
Isn't this issue one being brought down by the Justice Department? FBI? And not the NCAA? For real crimes, not "violations"? These would be for fraud, through state institutions (primarily, aren't they all?)? The NCAA itself would only be left to clean up the mess, right? Decide which schools would be sanctioned for what, going forward.

And, actually, the institution that might fear an FBI investigation the most might well be the NCAA. Fortunately for them, unlike an assistant BB coach, or an agent for a shoe company, the NCAA has enough money to buy the political power they need to keep the FBI off its back.

I am positive plenty of people in the NCAA itself either knew or suspected that much of this was going on and were either paid outright to look the other way, or the "understanding as to how this is done" is such no one needs to "know" details.

agree

we've gone from $90 to $180 to $280 in a span of 3 years each setting record......crazy to expect clean hands with so many out....link (https://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/08/11/nike-inc-scores-the-most-expensive-college-sponsor.aspx)

willandi
09-26-2017, 01:11 PM
Retro actively, after all the dust clears and charges dealt with...Gonzaga is the National Champions for the last 5 years in a row! WooHoo!

kitzbuel
09-26-2017, 01:16 PM
Thank god for Mark Few ......

I think technically, as long as the program has no federal funding, GU would not be liable as it is a private institution.

Why didn't we think of this earlier!

Zagceo
09-26-2017, 01:20 PM
I think technically, as long as the program has no federal funding, GU would not be liable as it is a private institution.

how'd we get those former Huskies to leave Seattle? :o

willandi
09-26-2017, 01:25 PM

They wanted to play in the NCAA tournament.

MDABE80
09-26-2017, 01:32 PM

Better question is why'd they sign up in the first place??

What's missing here is UNC. Corruption of the education component often times it spills over into other areas. I'd bet there will be some outrageous facts coming out.

jazzdelmar
09-26-2017, 01:38 PM

GU gets plenty of fed money via its students aid, research, other grants. So I think you're wrong.

maynard g krebs
09-26-2017, 02:06 PM
If you were to think of a program or two that might be in the mix to have something uncovered -- who would it be?

A couple -- Kentucky of course, Oregon seems to be one of the programs that gets more than its share of recruits (and they have Nike in close proximity), Missouri just recently -- anyone else?

Gee, Gonzaga recruits way above the level of its conference. "Seems" that they must be doing something crooked. See how silly that sounds?

Best to cast aspersions when there's at least a whiff of smoke to back up what you're saying.

kitzbuel
09-26-2017, 02:07 PM
GU gets plenty of fed money via its students aid, research, other grants. So I think you're wrong.

I think I am facetious, not wrong, Francis.

jazzdelmar
09-26-2017, 02:10 PM
I think I am facetious, not wrong, Francis.

There was one? Gotcha. Serious issue and me praising MF is rare. As you know, Kitz.

CDC84
09-26-2017, 02:15 PM
TSN - Death penalty a real possibility for Louisville, but unlikely. Pitino's job.......a different story:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/louisville-basketball-cardinals-rick-pitino-federal-investigation-brian-bowen-sex-scandal/1am4lde3y6ti51u8gnvrrwf1ja

MDABE80
09-26-2017, 02:32 PM
With this coupled to the "hooker" scandal I don't know how Pitino could survive.

ZagOD7540
09-26-2017, 02:38 PM
TSN - Death penalty a real possibility for Louisville, but unlikely. Pitino's job.......a different story:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/louisville-basketball-cardinals-rick-pitino-federal-investigation-brian-bowen-sex-scandal/1am4lde3y6ti51u8gnvrrwf1ja

You also have the football side of things at Louisville too with the AD hiring Bobby Petrino after all of his antics.
What a top notch, classy athletic department.

btzag
09-26-2017, 03:22 PM
Gee, Gonzaga recruits way above the level of its conference. "Seems" that they must be doing something crooked. See how silly that sounds?

Best to cast aspersions when there's at least a whiff of smoke to back up what you're saying.

Aspersions were cast against both USC and Arizona on this board over the summer and those posters were blasted for their opinions. Which turned out to be correct. Oregon is now getting a ton of 5-star recruit visits and even has the #1 kid coming in for a visit. They are also closely associated with a shoe company and those companies are in the middle of this mess. How could you even think that they wouldn't come up in this discussion? And Kentucky and Duke get multiple top 10 recruits every year and dominate recruiting but somehow they stay out of this mess? No way.

jazzdelmar
09-26-2017, 03:27 PM
Aspersions were cast against both USC and Arizona on this board over the summer and those posters were blasted for their opinions. Which turned out to be correct. Oregon is now getting a ton of 5-star recruit visits and even has the #1 kid coming in for a visit. They are also closely associated with a shoe company and those companies are in the middle of this mess. How could you even think that they wouldn't come up in this discussion? And Kentucky and Duke get multiple top 10 recruits every year and dominate recruiting but somehow they stay out of this mess? No way.

Adidas just passed Nike Jordan brand as the #2 shoe seller in the US. Wonder if uncle Phil sicced the Fibbies on der German company?

On Tuesday – after the closing bell – Nike is expected to announce its first quarter earnings. When it comes to sneaker sales, Nike remains the top seller, but its Jordan brand is losing momentum. Adidas has moved past Jordan brand as the second-most popular sneaker in the U.S., according to market research firm NPD Group.

“Never in my wildest dreams did I think this would happen,” said NPD analyst Matt Powell. “I’ve never seen a brand grow as fast as Adidas. Adidas’ market share has soared to nearly 13 percent this year, while Jordan Brand – which is tracked separately from Nike – has stayed flat at around 9.5 percent, according to Powell. He said Adidas is having success when it comes to its casual and retro sneakers.

Markburn1
09-26-2017, 03:30 PM
This discussion reminds me of the steroid scandal in MLB. Anyone that showed an ounce of improvement was immediately under suspicion of juicing.

bartruff1
09-26-2017, 03:31 PM
I would be amazed if Oregon or Kentucky or Duke were involved....they must have dozens in their compliance offices and have no reason to cheat.....but you can't watch everyone 24 hours a day and the cookie jar is full...

It is one thing to have a "rogue" on the staff and a completely different thing to have the situation at North Carolina that went on for decades and involved hundreds of individuals..

roxdoc
09-26-2017, 03:32 PM
Know someone who attended a national conference involving college ad's today in Wash DC. One of the sessions was on gambling. They said the mood was very tense at the conference. Said they saw both the U of Idaho and UW ad's in attendance.

seacatfan
09-26-2017, 04:09 PM
Well, top 10 recruits are going to go somewhere. Is every school that lands a high profile recruit under suspension of cheating by default? If a lot of them go to the same schools that recruits of that caliber have always tended to go to, is that also suspicious?

I'm feeling pretty crappy because Arizona is implicated in this, so I've been laying low. Cheating in college athletics is nothing new, it's been around nearly as long as there has been organized college athletics. Paying players is older than dirt. I'll guarantee there are more than the 4 schools that are currently implicated that are doing this. College sports are a cesspool. You kind of have to try to ignore that in order to enjoy following it. Football is the worst of all, but men's bball has been corrupted for a long, long time. It's one of the worst kept secrets of all time that a booster was paying some of UCLA's players during their decade of dominance, dating all the way back to the 60's. Shoe companies being directly involved is a little more recent trend, but they've had their noses buried in the middle of everything going on in hoops at least since the 80's.

seacatfan
09-26-2017, 04:12 PM
And the corruption has trickled down into high school/AAU, so you might have to follow middle school sports to find something truly pure. But even that might be starting to get tainted now.

maynard g krebs
09-26-2017, 04:48 PM
Oregon is now getting a ton of 5-star recruit visits and even has the #1 kid coming in for a visit.

Barrett is Canadian, and the Ducks have had a ton of Canadian players through the Mennenga pipeline for years now. He's very close with Kigab, another Canadian, and has Dillon Brooks, who went from borderline top 100 to a guaranteed NBA deal (and plans to buy a home in Eugene when he's done playing) in his ear, along w/ about 5 other Canadian former Ducks.

Altman built a perennial tourney team with 3 star guys like AJ Singler and Garrett Sim, JC's like Elgin Cook and Dwayne Benjamin, then got some low 4 stars like Brooks and Bell and one high 4 star in Tyler Dorsey, and a too skinny kid who never played hs ball in Boucher and made an E8 and F4.

3 NBA guys off last year's team, none of whom were expected to make it there, might just be enough incentive for recruits(along with the deluxe facilities, of course) that they don't need to break any federal laws. I think he's probably selling player development, and has the track record to do it.

Of course, I wouldn't have thought Arizona needed to either, so you never know. It's just that inductive reasoning is a pretty hit and miss approach. Does success automatically always imply cheating? If not, wha'ts the criteria to make that assumption?

USC was a much more logical target, given their current recruiting level despite no significant success yet. Or UNLV; Brandon McCoy was considered a done deal to Oregon and flipped to UNLV at the last minute

jazzdelmar
09-26-2017, 04:53 PM
Barrett is Canadian, and the Ducks have had a ton of Canadian players through the Mennenga pipeline for years now. He's very close with Kigab, another Canadian, and has Dillon Brooks, who went from borderline top 100 to a guaranteed NBA deal (and plans to buy a home in Eugene when he's done playing) in his ear, along w/ about 5 other Canadian former Ducks.

Altman built a perennial tourney team with 3 star guys like AJ Singler and Garrett Sim, JC's like Elgin Cook and Dwayne Benjamin, then got some low 4 stars like Brooks and Bell and one high 4 star in Tyler Dorsey, and a too skinny kid who never played hs ball in Boucher and made an E8 and F4.

3 NBA guys off last year's team, none of whom were expected to make it there, might just be enough incentive for recruits(along with the deluxe facilities, of course) that they don't need to break any laws.

Of course, I wouldn't have thought Arizona needed to either, so you never know. It's just that inductive reasoning is a pretty hit and miss approach.

USC was a much more logical target, given their current recruiting level despite no significant success yet. Or UNLV; Brandon McCoy was considered a done deal to Oregon and flipped to UNLV at the last minute

It's in USC's DNA to cheat. As it is with UCLA. Good points, May. But where's there smoke.... Still, Altman's a terrific coach and it just may be they are straight as a Nike swoosh.

maynard g krebs
09-26-2017, 05:07 PM
It's in USC's DNA to cheat. As it is with UCLA. Good points, May. But where's there smoke.... Still, Altman's a terrific coach and it just may be they are straight as a Nike swoosh.

LOL. Well played. I think the Nike Swoosh is curved. I'm sure they're in the same gray areas as everyone else; maybe more but who really knows? Just sayin' there are enough good reasons for a player to go there at this point that assuming success=guilt in terms of the FBI level stuff being discussed here is a stretch.

My original point stands; if success= guilt, the Zags could be assumed to be as guilty as anyone. Which, of course, would be a ridiculous statement to make.

75Zag
09-26-2017, 05:14 PM
As I have said before, AAU is a snake nest of corruption and cheating.
Lots of people in Portland hoping that the "Big Swoosh" is not implicated in all this, but time will tell.
Two changes would solve all this, but neither will happen soon. #1 is to let the elite kids go directly from high school to the NBA. There is no legitimate reason they should be forced to perform like trained seals at one of the NCAA Blue-Blood Colleges for a year before they earn the big dollars. #2 is to require the NCAA to share a fixed percentage of their revenue with their players. Maybe not cash while in college, but some sort of retirement plan or whatever.
Lincoln freed the slaves, except apparently those slaves who are unfortunate enough to be unpaid performers for the NCAA.

kitzbuel
09-26-2017, 05:30 PM
Strange coincidence that the guys who were informants for both the FIFA and NCAA corruption investigations are named Blazer.

MDABE80
09-26-2017, 05:34 PM

They flocked to purity:)

CDC84
09-26-2017, 05:34 PM
It's a real shame this is happening, but I guess some folks just can't play by the rules. The truth is, I kind of agree with Abe.........I don't think this thing is going to be as widespread as some folks think. We have to remember there are, what, 330 D-1 basketball teams? But the news is severe. Unfortunately, an investigation like this (and all the arrests) taints the entire sport.

zagsfanforlife
09-26-2017, 05:42 PM
Is it too early to start creating a wish list of kids who can transfer to us from the schools that are implicated today? I am looking at you Arizona.... getting a ton of our kids.

Actually, who the hell am i kidding... we have seen this book written before... assistant coaches take the blame, get fired, get paid for resigning/firing, and the head coach, and the athletic director go unscathed. I will bet anyone Pitino and Miller both come out of this alive. Its bs and the NCAA should be ashamed.

I am not surprised though. Took a lot of heat one time when i posted that USC paid its current shooting guard Elijah Stewart. Looks like i was right. Bunch of crock. Pitino is the biggest slimeball. Enfield is too. So is Miller. Bruce Pearl might have them all beat actually. Him and slick rick right next to each other. All will keep their jobs though.

zagsfanforlife
09-26-2017, 05:44 PM
Lot of death penalty talk going on right now about L'ville. At the very least I would think that Pitino has coached his last game.

He will come out of this alive. Always does.

Zagceo
09-26-2017, 05:46 PM
some of these kids will get booted for taking money......USC has at least a sophomore and a Freshmen taking money LINK (http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-usc-tony-bland-20170926-story.html)

75Zag
09-26-2017, 05:50 PM
some of these kids will get booted for taking money......USC has at least a sophomore and a Freshmen taking money LINK (http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-usc-tony-bland-20170926-story.html)
I have no dog in this fight, but if your father or mother takes money from a sleezy agent and does not tell you about it, should you - the player - be sanctioned?

btzag
09-26-2017, 06:03 PM
LOL. Well played. I think the Nike Swoosh is curved. I'm sure they're in the same gray areas as everyone else; maybe more but who really knows? Just sayin' there are enough good reasons for a player to go there at this point that assuming success=guilt in terms of the FBI level stuff being discussed here is a stretch.

My original point stands; if success= guilt, the Zags could be assumed to be as guilty as anyone. Which, of course, would be a ridiculous statement to make.

No one is saying that success = guilt. But when recruiting 'blows up' for a school and outstrips the 'substance' of a school or program you start to wonder 'how'? USC or SDSU were obvious examples. Anywhere Bruce Pearl goes is an obvious example. Miller arrived at UA years ago and immediately elevated a really good program to the stratosphere of recruiting...I looked at it last year and the only programs that recruit of the level of UA are Kentucky and Duke since Miller has been at the program. Gonzaga is retrospect has 20+ years of winning and great consistent coaching and yet still can't get a single top 25 kid to commit to the program and barely even top 50 kids. I'm not saying UO is guilty but their program is blowing up on a recruiting level they have never seen. You will say it's because its the pac12 and they made a final four but again GU made the championship game and their recruiting has almost dropped. Hard for a UO fan to see the writing on the wall but it is suspect to me.

Zagceo
09-26-2017, 06:24 PM
No one is saying that success = guilt. But when recruiting 'blows up' for a school and outstrips the 'substance' of a school or program you start to wonder 'how'? USC or SDSU were obvious examples. Anywhere Bruce Pearl goes is an obvious example. Miller arrived at UA years ago and immediately elevated a really good program to the stratosphere of recruiting...I looked at it last year and the only programs that recruit of the level of UA are Kentucky and Duke since Miller has been at the program. Gonzaga is retrospect has 20+ years of winning and great consistent coaching and yet still can't get a single top 25 kid to commit to the program and barely even top 50 kids. I'm not saying UO is guilty but their program is blowing up on a recruiting level they have never seen. You will say it's because its the pac12 and they made a final four but again GU made the championship game and their recruiting has almost dropped. Hard for a UO fan to see the writing on the wall but it is suspect to me.

not gonna bite.....we're talking about elite facilities with great weather that are grabbing the cream of the crop in Southern California....not a reach IMO....you gonna blame Miller with no history if a assistant is backdooring him? Miller gets a pass IMO.....not Pitino

SWZag
09-26-2017, 06:28 PM
Spokeman Review: A.D. Mike Roth “very confident” Gonzaga following recruiting rules (https://www.google.com/amp/www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/sep/26/ad-mike-roth-very-confident-gonzaga-following-recr/%3famp-content=amp)

MTZag03
09-26-2017, 06:35 PM
not gonna bite.....we're talking about elite facilities with great weather that are grabbing the cream of the crop in Southern California....not a reach IMO....you gonna blame Miller with no history if a assistant is backdooring him? Miller gets a pass IMO.....not Pitino

I've never understood the weather argument for recruiting. Do people really care?

MTZag03
09-26-2017, 06:41 PM

This is exactly it for me. So many schools become suddenly hot recruiters with no real rhyme our reason. GU has recruits to SDSU and USC. Obviously we've lost a lot to UA as well, but they're legitimately considered title contenders many years so I won't lump them in.

btzag
09-26-2017, 07:43 PM

Which school are you talking about? USC or Arizona? The USC that had violations under Floyd and now the current group or Arizona that had violations under Olson and now their current staff? They've both been caught red-handed paying players multiple times in the last 25 years! And I'm sorry but Miller doesn't deserve a pass at all. He led a program that paid players. He hired and led one of the main guys who got arrested. He even went out this offseason and hired Romar on top of that who had major dirty tentacles into the AAU scene. Miller is just another Pearl or Pitino in my book.

basketballzag
09-26-2017, 07:51 PM

Pacific doesn't even know what's about to hit them once the NCAA has to deal with this mess at Arizona, USC, and Auburn. I hope Pacific is ready for the death penalty.

Zagdawg
09-26-2017, 07:59 PM
http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcats/basketball/bruce-pascoe-what-book-richardson-s-case-could-mean-for/article_ea0a9580-a2ff-11e7-bd27-5ba59dd5b18b.html

Zagdawg
09-26-2017, 08:13 PM
http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/09/26/larranagas-attorney-says-allegations-do-not-apply-to-our-much-loved-coach-l/

SLOZag
09-26-2017, 08:21 PM
http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcats/basketball/bruce-pascoe-what-book-richardson-s-case-could-mean-for/article_ea0a9580-a2ff-11e7-bd27-5ba59dd5b18b.html

"The rest of UA's recruiting class could dissolve. Brandon Williams and Shareef O'Neal may not want to take chances signing with a program that could be under NCAA investigation."

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawild...59dd5b18b.html

basketballzag
09-26-2017, 08:33 PM
Pitino screwed up his public statement pretty badly. Instead he should have said "I'm shocked--shocked--to find Corruption at Louisville." Although he did use the word "shock" in his statement.

“These allegations come as a complete shock to me,” the statement, released by Pitino’s attorney, read. “If true, I agree with the U.S. Attorney’s Office that these third-party schemes, initiated by a few bad actors, operated to commit a fraud on the impacted universities and their basketball programs, including the University of Louisville. Our fans and supporters deserve better and I am committed to taking whatever steps are needed to ensure those responsible are held accountable."
http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/09/26/rick-pitino-these-allegations-come-as-a-complete-shock-to-me/

willandi
09-26-2017, 08:55 PM
"The rest of UA's recruiting class could dissolve. Brandon Williams and Shareef O'Neal may not want to take chances signing with a program that could be under NCAA investigation."

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawild...59dd5b18b.html

Would the schools in question not have to release them from their LOI? If they have attended summer school, wouldn't it also affect eligibility?

Curious minds want to know!

Radbooks
09-26-2017, 08:58 PM
Would the schools in question not have to release them from their LOI? If they have attended summer school, wouldn't it also affect eligibility?

Curious minds want to know!

They graduate in 2018 and don't sign LOI until sometime later this year.

DixieZag
09-26-2017, 09:14 PM
Pitino: "Our fans and supporters deserve better and I am committed to taking whatever steps are needed to ensure those responsible are held accountable."

Chairman of the Board of Trustee University of Louisville: "Heartened to hear you say that, Coach. Now, if you can just commit to typing up a 2 sentence letter of resignation, we can move on to Step 2 out of the 150 we've outlined so far."

This will not stop until:

1. Sanctions follow head coaches wherever they go and hit the coach's pocket book specifically.
2. Sanctions involve a percentage of basketball revenue and not the type that hurt opportunities for future student athletes,

As an example, if Pacific University and Kentucky both commit the same violation, they are both fined 10% of their BB revenue for however many years. And the coaches forfeit 10% of their salary (or more).

basketballzag
09-26-2017, 09:17 PM
They graduate in 2018 and don't sign LOI until sometime later this year.

Taeshon Cherry

Bland worked closely with USC’s most highly rated recruit in years, Taeshon Cherry of San Diego St. Augustine High, who would be part of the 2018 class. Cherry cited his relationship with Bland as a reason for committing to the Trojans.

This may not bode well for Cherry's eligibility going forward in NCAA Div. 1A. If any of these kids are found to have received an improper benefit they are no longer eligible to play. Might not be smart to go after some of these guys unless the staff is 1000% certain they are clean.

basketballzag
09-26-2017, 09:49 PM
Darren Heitner‏Verified account
@DarrenHeitner
Sources: Basketball agency ASM Sports was raided today. FBI had warrant, took Andy Miller's computer.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-high-profile-nba-agency-raided-by-fbi-amid-ncaa-basketball-investigation/

For those of you who don't know who Andy Miller is he is one of the biggest NBA agents in the business. Porzingis is one of his clients and also someone who signed a monster deal with Adidas.

Andy Miller, a prominent agent with the company who represents Kristaps Porzingis, Kyle Lowry, Serge Ibaka, Myles Turner, Austin Rivers and many others, reportedly had his computer confiscated by the FBI. FBI documents show a connection between several of the college basketball coaches arrested on Tuesday and Christian Dawkins, who worked for ASM until he was terminated in May.

http://hoopshype.com/reps/andy-miller/ List of Andy's NBA clients
http://www.asmsports.com/asm-family ASM Clients

Do a search and see where these players played their college ball.............................................. ........

basketballzag
09-26-2017, 10:44 PM
Word on the street is that Texas was the school who was trying to outbid Louisville for Bowen's signature. Looks like they will be next up on the chopping block as the FBI investigation continues.

SLOZag
09-27-2017, 12:46 AM
Word on the street is that Texas was the school who was trying to outbid Louisville for Bowen's signature. Looks like they will be next up on the chopping block as the FBI investigation continues.

I sure hope Hepa factors this possibility into his decision-making.

jazzdelmar
09-27-2017, 02:09 AM
Has any pundit suggested why this probe was launched, why among thousands of criminal enterprises in this country, the FBI chose to spend considerable resources on this relatively inconsequential transgression? This is certainly not a life or death situation; if anything it's a lifestyle crime. PR value is certainly a contributing factor. But is their a political reason? An economic one? Such multiyear, multimillion dollar investigations have a life of their own. Someone, some influence put a bug in the ear of the Feds. These things don't happen serendipitously. Any guesses? One way to start, who gets hurt the most.. the schools, the head coaches, CBS, ESPN? Sure, but probably just bruised. Who gets hurt more? Adidas, as a German based company their exposure is somewhat limited. But they are stained and who stands to gain? Fill in the blanks.

ZagaZags
09-27-2017, 02:13 AM
Has any pundit suggested why this probe was launched.. why among thousands of criminal enterprises in this country, the FBI chose to spend considerable resources on this relatively inconsequential transgression? PR value is certainly a contributing factor. But is their a political reason? An economic one? Such multiyear, multimillion dollar investigations have a life of their own.

Maybe the FBI wants to make the NCAA great again.

Birddog
09-27-2017, 04:03 AM
This investigation is leaving a very bad taste in my mouth, like gefilte fish, lutefisk, a clam milkshake or maybe chicken tartar. What an effing mess this is gonna be for NCAA BB.

TexasZagFan
09-27-2017, 04:31 AM
Has any pundit suggested why this probe was launched, why among thousands of criminal enterprises in this country, the FBI chose to spend considerable resources on this relatively inconsequential transgression? This is certainly not a life or death situation; if anything it's a lifestyle crime. PR value is certainly a contributing factor. But is their a political reason? An economic one? Such multiyear, multimillion dollar investigations have a life of their own. Someone, some influence put a bug in the ear of the Feds. These things don't happen serendipitously. Any guesses? One way to start, who gets hurt the most.. the schools, the head coaches, CBS, ESPN? Sure, but probably just bruised. Who gets hurt more? Adidas, as a German based company their exposure is somewhat limited. But they are stained and who stands to gain? Fill in the blanks.

College hoops is more interesting than Hillary's emails?

TexasZagFan
09-27-2017, 04:33 AM
Maybe the FBI wants to make the NCAA great again.

Great guess, only the Tweeter knows for sure.

SWZag
09-27-2017, 04:43 AM

Corruption is corruption. Would you say that it's good to get rid of corruption or that some corruption isn't so bad? If this were a different situation, say, a company paying government officials go be quiet about claims that a vehicle gets better mileage than it actually does. That's not a life and death situation. Does that mean it's ok? Should it not be investigated because it may help a rival car company or because it may look political? Or any other type of bribe? And who's to say those thousand of other criminal enterprises aren't be investigated? As far as I'm concerned, some people in the NCAA arena have been running a criminal enterprise as we've seen in the arrests made.

This investigation started three years ago. Around 2014.

I'm glad this investigation took place and actions are now taking place. Corruption is the root of many of the world's problems, and it always starts small and grows.

strikenowhere
09-27-2017, 05:07 AM

The FBI is a huge organization with field offices all over the country that specialize in different criminal areas. There are plenty of people/resources to go around.

vandalzag
09-27-2017, 05:13 AM

Head of the FBI want Yale to win a NC and needs to thin the field a bit?

kitzbuel
09-27-2017, 05:31 AM

"It began when a prominent financial planner from the sports world was ensnared in a securities fraud case and turned into a cooperating witness. He was able to bring an undercover FBI agent along as a supposed assistant for meetings, payouts, recorded conversations and so on."

https://sports.yahoo.com/fbi-brings-armageddon-college-basketball-just-tip-iceberg-184524346.html

JPtheBeasta
09-27-2017, 05:59 AM
Corruption is corruption. Would you say that it's good to get rid of corruption or that some corruption isn't so bad? If this were a different situation, say, a company paying government officials go be quiet about claims that a vehicle gets better mileage than it actually does. That's not a life and death situation. Does that mean it's ok? Should it not be investigated because it may help a rival car company or because it may look political? Or any other type of bribe? And who's to say those thousand of other criminal enterprises aren't be investigated? As far as I'm concerned, some people in the NCAA arena have been running a criminal enterprise as we've seen in the arrests made.

I'm glad this investigation took place and actions are now taking place. Corruption is the root of many of the world's problems, and it always starts small and grows.

+1

I don't quit get the cynicism that others are showing.

btzag
09-27-2017, 06:03 AM

Seeing Texas on the list eventually would not be a shocker. Been doing very 'well' in recruiting lately, of course all related to Shaka and the vaunted Texas program...

Also interesting to put the pieces together on Cherry and then Quinerly who was the 5 star pg commit AFTER they already had Brandon Williams committed with the assurance from the staff that HE would play point.

MTZag03
09-27-2017, 06:04 AM
"It began when a prominent financial planner from the sports world was ensnared in a securities fraud case and turned into a cooperating witness. He was able to bring an undercover FBI agent along as a supposed assistant for meetings, payouts, recorded conversations and so on."

This is the correct answer. A dirty financier got caught. In order to reduce his sentence he tipped off the FBI to some schemes he was aware of. I don't think the FBI was looking for this particularly, but it was handed to them and they ran with it to see how far it would go. Fraudulent accounting at Adidas is pretty high up, and may just be the beginning.

zagfan24
09-27-2017, 06:14 AM
An interesting article from Mark Titus at The Ringer: https://www.theringer.com/2017/9/26/16371360/fbi-sting-operation-assistant-coach-arrests-scandal

From the article, "Even the most naïve fan knew that a day of reckoning was coming, when the house of cards built by apparel companies, agents, financial advisers, shady coaches, and handlers of big-time recruits would all come crashing down."

The term "handler" makes my skin crawl and provides justification for why this issue is important to tackle, even at the federal level. Once kids are treated as a commodity to be manipulated, there's not a definitive end to the level of manipulation and maltreatment that can accompany that paradigm.

Birddog
09-27-2017, 06:31 AM
Local story on Lamont Evans involvement.
http://newsok.com/osu-assistant-basketball-coach-arrested-in-federal-crackdown/article/5565692

STILLWATER — Lamont Evans settled into his Morgantown hotel room the day before Oklahoma State would face West Virginia in a critical game last February, scheming about the meeting.

Scheming not for the on-court encounter, but an in-room meeting he'd arranged, unknowingly, with a cooperating witness working with the FBI, according to federal documents.

Evans, a Cowboys assistant basketball coach, allegedly brought the witness — cooperating in the FBI's ongoing investigation focused on fraud and corruption in college basketball — together in his room with an OSU player in an attempt to steer the player to the witness. The witness, a financial adviser to athletes, was secretly cooperating with authorities after he'd been hit with securities fraud charges by the SEC.

BoZarth
09-27-2017, 06:43 AM
I've never understood the weather argument for recruiting. Do people really care?

Me neither, but there are those who fixate on it.

I mean I could've chosen my university based on weather but I didn't. Wasn't even a thought.

Sure, there are students and athletes that let weather influence their decision. Heck, athletically that may be more likely for a sport played outside. At this level of college basketball I would hope and think the local climate is several notches down on the list.

kitzbuel
09-27-2017, 06:46 AM
I would be amazed if Oregon or Kentucky or Duke were involved....they must have dozens in their compliance offices and have no reason to cheat.....but you can't watch everyone 24 hours a day and the cookie jar is full...

It is one thing to have a "rogue" on the staff and a completely different thing to have the situation at North Carolina that went on for decades and involved hundreds of individuals..

That being said, Kyle Wiltjer's commitment to UK, right under GU's nose, without a visit and almost out of the blue certainly gives one pause given these circumstances.

thebigsmoove
09-27-2017, 06:48 AM
rumor on the street here in Louisville is that Rick Pitino and Tom Jurich are out this week. Guess we will see if that comes to fruition.

SWZag
09-27-2017, 06:53 AM
Pacific doesn't even know what's about to hit them once the NCAA has to deal with this mess at Arizona, USC, and Auburn. I hope Pacific is ready for the death penalty.

Not only on the street, but on ESPN.

Louisville's Rick Pitino tells staff he expects to lose his job (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20835336/louisville-basketball-coach-rick-pitino-tells-staff-expects-lose-job)

DixieZag
09-27-2017, 06:55 AM
An interesting article from Mark Titus at The Ringer: https://www.theringer.com/2017/9/26/16371360/fbi-sting-operation-assistant-coach-arrests-scandal

From the article, "Even the most naïve fan knew that a day of reckoning was coming, when the house of cards built by apparel companies, agents, financial advisers, shady coaches, and handlers of big-time recruits would all come crashing down."

The term "handler" makes my skin crawl and provides justification for why this issue is important to tackle, even at the federal level. Once kids are treated as a commodity to be manipulated, there's not a definitive end to the level of manipulation and maltreatment that can accompany that paradigm.

Great quote. Agree.

It feels like those days you go to clean up under the couch cushions or behind the stove. You know it's not pleasant, and then open everything up and it does "make one's skin crawl."

But, is anyone surprised?

I still believe this pales in comparison to what happens in the NCAA offices and who is paid to turn the other way. I would dearly hope that part of this investigation involves what certain NCAA compliance officers knew about what was happening where, and who was paid to turn the other way. Or, not even paid, just "knew" that they best look the other way. Which Athletic Directors (never mind coaches) knew of the whole system? Which University Presidents?

bartruff1
09-27-2017, 06:56 AM
+1

I don't quit get the cynicism that others are showing.

Don't Physicians get payments from drug companies ??? Don't retailers get money from distributors??? Don't car salesmen get money from banks and warrantee companies ? Don't prominent people get money to promote a product ???....." bribery" is at the core of marketing...call them incentives....... finder fees........ the good old Wall Street good will payments.....

There are likely NCAA violations here but crimes ??? That remains to be proven...of course it is a crime to lie to the FBI or fail to pay income taxes on taxable income....

Stache
09-27-2017, 07:06 AM
Can someone find Bill Walton and ask him about the conference of champions.

BoZarth
09-27-2017, 07:20 AM
That being said, Kyle Wiltjer's commitment to UK, right under GU's nose, without a visit and almost out of the blue certainly gives one pause given these circumstances.

This would imply that Kyle and his family accepted some sort of benefits.

Are you sure you want to "pause?"

kclubfounder
09-27-2017, 07:25 AM
Don't Physicians get payments from drug companies ??? Don't retailers get money from distributors??? Don't car salesmen get money from banks and warrantee companies ? Don't prominent people get money to promote a product ???....." bribery" is at the core of marketing...call them incentives....... finder fees........ the good old Wall Street good will payments.....

There are likely NCAA violations here but crimes ??? That remains to be proven...of course it is a crime to lie to the FBI or fail to pay income taxes on taxable income....

Physicians better not be getting payments from drug companies in 2017. If they are and they get caught they'll be up the same creek. As for the other examples, there's no hiding any of that. It's legal. It's reported. It's all above board.

thebigsmoove
09-27-2017, 07:26 AM
The president at UL just met with both Pitino and Jurich and asked them to resign, apparently Jurich refused and was told he was being fired:

https://www.cardchronicle.com/2017/9/27/16373712/tom-jurich-fired-louisville-athletics-greg-postel

SWZag
09-27-2017, 07:27 AM
The FBI’s investigation of college basketball corruption, explained (https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2017/9/27/16366056/college-basketball-scandal-corruption-fbi)

What are the charges?

Jim Gatto, Merl Code, Christian Dawkins, Jonathan Augustine, and Munish Sood face charges of:
•Wire fraud conspiracy
•Two counts of wire fraud
•Money laundering conspiracy

Lamont Evans, Emanuel Richardson, Anthony Bland, Christian Dawkins, and Munish Sood face charges of:
•Conspiracy to commit bribery
•Solicitation of bribes and gratuities by an agent of a federally-funded organization (Lamont Evans, Emanuel Richardson, and Anthony Bland)
•Solicitation of bribes and gratuities by an agent of a federally-funded organization (Christian Dawkins and Munish Sood)
•Conspiracy to commit Honest Services Fraud
•Honest services wire fraud (South Carolina, Oklahoma State, Arizona, USC)
•Wire fraud conspiracy
•Travel act conspiracy

Chuck Person and Rashan Michel face charges of:
•Conspiracy
•Solicitation of bribes
•Conspiracy to commit honest services fraud
•Honest services fraud
•Conspiracy to commit wire fraud
•Travel act conspiracy

kitzbuel
09-27-2017, 07:41 AM
This would imply that Kyle and his family accepted some sort of benefits.

Are you sure you want to "pause?"

Certainly makes you wonder.

gu03alum
09-27-2017, 07:57 AM
The president at UL just met with both Pitino and Jurich and asked them to resign, apparently Jurich refused and was told he was being fired:

https://www.cardchronicle.com/2017/9/27/16373712/tom-jurich-fired-louisville-athletics-greg-postel

both were fired according to Washington post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/09/27/rick-pitino-reportedly-fired-by-louisville-in-wake-of-federal-corruption-case/?hpid=hp_no-name_no-name%3Apage%2Fbreaking-news-bar&tid=a_breakingnews&utm_term=.2f3226d366a8)

bartruff1
09-27-2017, 08:01 AM
Physicians better not be getting payments from drug companies in 2017. If they are and they get caught they'll be up the same creek. As for the other examples, there's no hiding any of that. It's legal. It's reported. It's all above board.

They get samples and give them out...I suspect every elected official accepts campaign contributions from individuals and companies that expect something in return....that is also all above board ???

If the vaunted FBI and Justice could not end or convict the occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge .....I am not so impressed by their competence .....conspiracy is apparently difficult to prove to a jury

Fine...... if crimes were committed..... prosecute them....but as usual, Jazz has a point....back to the scandal .....sorry for the diversion .

jazzdelmar
09-27-2017, 08:06 AM
The NYC fed attorneys are notoriously headline-hungry, it's been that way forever. Not sure who the victims are here. Jay Bilas, looking more bald and pasty faced than ever, said yesterday it was the colleges and universities, that they were being unfairly scandalized by terrible assistant coaches. Ha, typical blue blood response. In that town, this is tiny potatoes; there is more criminality in the Big Apple than any fed can shake a stick it, big stuff, venal stuff, life and death stuff.

Stache
09-27-2017, 08:06 AM
Colin cowherd is leading off his show and it mentioned Mark Few three times as a guy who does it right and got into coaching for all the right reasons. Perfect free Publicity. Proud to be a Zag

jazzdelmar
09-27-2017, 08:10 AM
Colin cowherd is leading off his show and it mentioned Mark Few three times as a guy who does it right and got into coaching for all the right reasons. Perfect free Publicity. Proud to be a Zag

Said that way back on this here thread.

SWZag
09-27-2017, 08:12 AM

According to some posters, who cares if he does it the right way? Might as well join the corrupt acts of others since the FBI should spend their time on "more important things."

I, for one, am proud of coaches who do things the right way.

Mojo13
09-27-2017, 08:20 AM
They get samples and give them out...I suspect every elected official accepts campaign contributions from individuals and companies that expect something in return....that is also all above board ???

If the vaunted FBI and Justice could not end or convict the occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge .....I am not so impressed by their competence .....conspiracy is apparently difficult to prove to a jury

Fine...... if crimes were committed..... prosecute them....but as usual, Jazz has a point....back to the scandal .....sorry for the diversion .

Um yeah... the stats don't agree with you. Currently federal prosecutors tout above a 95% conviction rate. This is primarily due to the fact that most cases never make it to trial. Most defendants end up taking a plea bargain rather then risk a potentially much greater prison sentence which could be dealt them if they actual went to trial and lost. The AZ assistant is facing 60 years in prison. Tell me he won't plea, turn state's witness and point fingers at everyone he can. This is the way it works. It is going to be a fun ride. GU seems well positioned to ride this out, but this is going to massively damage college basketball.

Zagdawg
09-27-2017, 08:22 AM
"A.D. Mike Roth “very confident” Gonzaga following recruiting rules"

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/sep/26/ad-mike-roth-very-confident-gonzaga-following-recr/

bartruff1
09-27-2017, 08:24 AM
According to some posters, who cares if he does it the right way? Might as well join the corrupt acts of others since the FBI should spend their time on "more important things."

I, for one, am proud of coaches who do things the right way.

Conflation is dishonest...

SWZag
09-27-2017, 08:26 AM
Conflation is dishonest...

Then you don't have a problem with the current FBI work? Good to hear, some on here had me concerned.

Zagdawg
09-27-2017, 08:30 AM
"Five-star 2018 prospect decommits from Auburn"

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/09/27/five-star-2018-prospect-decommits-from-auburn/

gozagswoohoo
09-27-2017, 08:36 AM

I love Gonzaga. I love Mark Few.

SWZag
09-27-2017, 08:38 AM
Sports Illustrated:
The NCAA’s Rules Gave Rise to a Generation of Pimps. Here's How It Can Clean Them Up (https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/09/27/fbi-investigation-ncaa-recruiting-rules-agents-benefits)

JPtheBeasta
09-27-2017, 08:44 AM

Medicine has been cleaned up quite a bit, and sonewhat prophylacically by the drug companies. It is nowhere near what my old-school colleagues describe. We also have Stark laws to clean up corruption. Medicare fraud is a multi
Billion dollar problem, if memory serves, with many dollars being recovered from perpetrators.

I think car salesmen get paid commissions.

I can't speak to the other stuff.

These guys in this case are being charged with wire fraud and such, and actual statutes are referenced in the indictment, so I'm pretty comfortable with the idea that the defendants are being accused of breaking actual laws.

Zagceo
09-27-2017, 08:44 AM

Just another Hen(d)ry Hill

jazzdelmar
09-27-2017, 08:57 AM
Just another Henry Hill

You mean "Hendry?"

kitzbuel
09-27-2017, 09:02 AM
both were fired according to Washington post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/09/27/rick-pitino-reportedly-fired-by-louisville-in-wake-of-federal-corruption-case/?hpid=hp_no-name_no-name%3Apage%2Fbreaking-news-bar&tid=a_breakingnews&utm_term=.2f3226d366a8)

I suppose they could always call Eddie Sutton...

DixieZag
09-27-2017, 09:10 AM
[QUOTE=bartruff1;1331035]They get samples and give them out...

The real shady stuff is when specialists (who have been reliably Rx'ing new medicines) are invited to "speak" at a "conference" to "other doctors about the medicine" and what will happen is the person will get a $10K check to simply have lunch with 3 other people, sometimes doctors.

I suspect every elected official accepts campaign contributions from individuals and companies that expect something in return....that is also all above board ???

Nothing could be further below board. But, the Supreme Court ruled that without an "express" quid pro quo "campaign contributions alone do not give rise to corruption or the appearance of corruption."

You would be highly impressed by their competence if they were coming after you. They are extremely good at what they do.

Fine...... if crimes were committed..... prosecute them....but as usual, Jazz has a point....back to the scandal .....sorry for the diversion.

Exactly.

But, fines have to be large enough that there isn't a net profit. Otherwise, it perpetuates it. Fines become a "cost of doing business."

If a head coach ever spent time in jail, I doubt this would ever happen again.

Zagceo
09-27-2017, 09:20 AM
How many quotes like this take on a completely new meaning

"I'm going to USC. I have a good relationship with [assistant coach] Tony [Bland] and [head coach Andy] Enfield. Their style of play really fits my style of play and it's a perfect fit for me. ... They know how to use me. I have a similar game to [USC forward] Bennie [Boatwright] but I'm a bit faster. Watching how they used him helped me with my decision. They'll play me at the two and three to help me get to NBA."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2719133-5-star-sf-prospect-taeshon-cherry-commits-to-usc-over-arizona-gonzaga-others

MDABE80
09-27-2017, 09:23 AM
"Don't Physicians get payments from drug companies ??? ...says Bart" NO...it's been illegal for years. No trips, no dinners, no cash.....
Grants to do research? sure...regulated fiercely by FDA/NIH.

MDABE80
09-27-2017, 09:26 AM
Dixie wonder "The real shady stuff is when specialists (who have been reliably Rx'ing new medicines) are invited to "speak" at a "conference" to "other doctors about the medicine" and what will happen is the person will get a $10K check to simply have lunch with 3 other people, sometimes doctors."

Sorry Bud the 80's allowed that but about 1991 there can be none of that or jail and fines await. Outlawed for decades.

bartruff1
09-27-2017, 09:27 AM
They can make it up with Medicare/Medicate fraud.....that is where I would rather see the FBI investigating and leave this to the NCAA...

DixieZag
09-27-2017, 09:33 AM
Dixie wonder "The real shady stuff is when specialists (who have been reliably Rx'ing new medicines) are invited to "speak" at a "conference" to "other doctors about the medicine" and what will happen is the person will get a $10K check to simply have lunch with 3 other people, sometimes doctors."

Sorry Bud the 80's allowed that but about 1991 there can be none of that or jail and fines await. Outlawed for decades.

You would know better than me.

I was simply comparing to the distribution of samples.

Though, I did read an article that some of this was coming back around again.

Again, though - I take your word for it, you'd know more.

Zagceo
09-27-2017, 09:33 AM
They can make it up with Medicare/Medicate fraud.....that is where I would rather see the FBI investigating and leave this to the NCAA...

maybe you missed this

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/17/nyregion/senator-robert-menendez-trial.html

DixieZag
09-27-2017, 09:36 AM

I'd rather see them investigate the NCAA itself.

Again, the only thing that I think shields the NCAA is the sheer amount of money and political pull that they have behind them.

TexasZagFan
09-27-2017, 09:52 AM
So when do the "Few to Louisville" rumors start?

They've got the cash to pony up $8-10 million a year for someone with Mark's record of achievement. That's what it's going to take to bring in a top coach, given the circumstances.

thebigsmoove
09-27-2017, 09:56 AM

They've got the cash to pony up $8-10 million a year for someone with Mark's record of achievement. That's what it's going to take to bring in a top coach, given the circumstances.

no way. They are going after Tom Crean from what ive heard.

Zagceo
09-27-2017, 09:59 AM
"This is kind of a nuclear bomb," said Ohio University professor Dave Ridpath, a longtime critic of college sports corruption and president of The Drake Group, a college sports watchdog organization. "Now you're talking really serious stuff. This is jail time and subpoena power and big-time investigators."
And there's no telling where it will lead.

typical career launcher......I'm guessing US Attorney gets some co-operating witnesses fearful of a door knock

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2017/09/26/ncaa-basketballndiana-university-chuck-personadidas/704492001/

Zagceo
09-27-2017, 10:00 AM
http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/2017/09/27/could-tom-crean-louisvilles-next-coach-people-losing-their-minds/708720001/

MDABE80
09-27-2017, 10:29 AM
No more of that Bart.u r dreaming.

TexasZagFan
09-27-2017, 10:33 AM
No more of that Bart.u r dreaming.

Naw, he likes to watch old Law and Order episodes. :lmao: Jack McCoy loved to go after crooked doctors.

Zagdawg
09-27-2017, 10:51 AM
Jerry Meyer‏ @jerrymeyer247 48m48 minutes ago
More Jerry Meyer Retweeted Anfernee Simons
Anfernee Simons decommits from Louisville. Open recruiting gates. This guy can play. My No. 6 & might be too low. http://247sports.com/Player/Anfernee-Simons-89839 …

Is this a good year to have a few extra scholarships available -- or are these guys tainted?

willandi
09-27-2017, 10:52 AM

Why would he want to break his streak of consecutive NCAA's?

kitzbuel
09-27-2017, 11:01 AM
Feds subpoena Nike's elite youth basketball program, report says
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/nike-justice-department-fbi-college-basketball-coach-arrests/1k5n2el7howse10l0a3cb57wdw

doctorzag
09-27-2017, 11:05 AM
Jerry Meyer‏ @jerrymeyer247 48m48 minutes ago
More Jerry Meyer Retweeted Anfernee Simons
Anfernee Simons decommits from Louisville. Open recruiting gates. This guy can play. My No. 6 & might be too low. http://247sports.com/Player/Anfernee-Simons-89839 …

Is this a good year to have a few extra scholarships available -- or are these guys tainted?

This may help us with Nembhard as Florida was a finalist for Anfernee Simons and are apparently the landing spot for him now.

Zagceo
09-27-2017, 11:36 AM
Feds subpoena Nike's elite youth basketball program, report says
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/nike-justice-department-fbi-college-basketball-coach-arrests/1k5n2el7howse10l0a3cb57wdw

AKA minor leagues

the old Alonzo Harris line comes to mind...."Oh you Federally ####ed now"

power of the subpoena

Kansas fans must be on edge

Louisville's deal is the sixth-largest in college sports and was the largest Adidas had signed until its most recent with Kansas University. KU, which has not been implicated in the scandal, has said it is "monitoring" Gatto's charges (http://www2.kusports.com/news/2017/sep/26/kansas-athletics-monitoring-charges-against-adidas/). KU's deal was for $191 million over 14 years, and it ranks as the fourth-most expensive.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/college-basketball-bribery-scandal-couldnt-180256401.html

Zagdawg
09-27-2017, 11:44 AM
Jerry Meyer‏ @jerrymeyer247 11m11 minutes ago
More
3.5 decommits from FBI fallout: EJ Montgomery (Auburn), Anfernee Simons (Louisville), Courtney Ramey (Louisville), Nassir Little (Arizona?)

JPtheBeasta
09-27-2017, 11:51 AM

Medicare Fruad Control Units are in charge of this, and usually operate under each state's Attorney General. A lot of money is re-captured by the authorities in this way.

Google "Top ten worst doctors in [year x]" and Medicare fraud is a common occurrence. These folks are caught and punished somehow. The folks above, MFCUs, are who do that.

sage
09-27-2017, 11:53 AM
And THAT'S why we've been saving scholies.............

sittingon50
09-27-2017, 12:01 PM
And THAT'S why we've been saving scholies.............

:lmao:

maynard g krebs
09-27-2017, 12:01 PM
Jay Bilas, looking more bald and pasty faced than ever,

What does that have to do with what he said? When you have to resort to insulting someone's appearance, it detracts from your point.

jazzdelmar
09-27-2017, 12:03 PM
What does that have to do with what he said? When you have to resort to insulting someone's appearance, it detracts from your point.

Gimme a break, Duck. Just having fun, like your twisted Nike swoosh.

Zagceo
09-27-2017, 12:04 PM

.......how bout "he's got a face for radio".....better? .....

maynard g krebs
09-27-2017, 12:08 PM
Gimme a break, Duck. Just having fun, like your twisted Nike swoosh.

I guess we have different ideas of "fun". Sorry, no breaks on that one here.

Kiddwell
09-27-2017, 12:13 PM
...takes some of the gloss off Portland's PK80 super-journey. Been kinda panting with anticipation for that one.

jazzdelmar
09-27-2017, 12:14 PM
I guess we have different ideas of "fun". Sorry, no breaks on that one here.

Ok, boss. Federales getting close?

Zagceo
09-27-2017, 12:17 PM
which will NCAA deem more egregious?

-schools accepting and passing student/athletes reading at 4th grade level?

-money influencing student/athletes school choice?

sittingon50
09-27-2017, 12:35 PM
I'm not sure that the NCAA would find one more egregious than the other, ceo.

Based on their track record, perhaps neither one is really bothersome.

Zagdawg
09-27-2017, 12:35 PM
"Auburn offers refunds for basketball season tickets amid FBI investigation"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/sec/2017/09/27/auburn-offers-refunds-basketball-season-tickets-amid-fbi-investigation/708576001/

Ezag
09-27-2017, 12:37 PM
"College basketball, you never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"

SWZag
09-27-2017, 12:38 PM
I'm not sure that the NCAA would find one more egregious than the other, ceo.

Based on their track record, perhaps neither one is really bothersome.

Sad, but true.

Zagdawg
09-27-2017, 12:42 PM
The Feds on the other hand...are not so flexible.

a13coach
09-27-2017, 12:51 PM

What makes you think that they are not investigating Medicare/Medicaid fraud? Should they put all their resources into just a few corrupt enterprises thereby leaving the "door wide open" for the "lesser" areas of concern?

bartruff1
09-27-2017, 01:41 PM
I am sure they are and there is plenty of it to investigate....it is a matter of priorities...I would rather they used their resources to investigate the hundreds of billions of dollars stolen from the tax payers ... or matters of national security.......this is a "crime" that might be investigated by the NCAA.. you are making a straw dog argument....a false choice....look it up...

BearDownZags
09-27-2017, 01:47 PM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20835496/louisville-coach-rick-pitino-find-way-trouble

"One prominent Division I head coach said Wednesday morning that he believes "without a doubt" he's lost a recruit nearly every year to a competing school that paid for that recruit's signature."

Any chance that is Few?

DixieZag
09-27-2017, 01:55 PM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20835496/louisville-coach-rick-pitino-find-way-trouble

"One prominent Division I head coach said Wednesday morning that he believes "without a doubt" he's lost a recruit nearly every year to a competing school that paid for that recruit's signature."

Any chance that is Few?

If you think about who the reporters like, who is popular, Few is right up there with many. If you think about who the reporters have enough of a relationship with to call and get an "off the record" type of quote, and which "prominent Division 1 Head Coach" has "without a doubt" lost recruits to pay, it sure makes him a likely candidate, doesn't it?

CDC84
09-27-2017, 02:21 PM
Two more articles from The Sporting News:

"College basketball is warned: FBI plays higher-stakes game than NCAA"

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/college-basketball-fbi-fraud-corruption-chuck-person-auburn-louisville-rick-pitino/c7a8msafdhpr18rug7a84usnx

"Rick Pitino can play victim, but sad end at Louisville is largely his fault"

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/rick-pitino-fired-louisville-basketball-scandal-karen-sypher-andre-mcgee-recruiting-brian-bowen/11rbo3ua4phvk1j3rz5dhveq0x

Kemo 1966
09-27-2017, 04:28 PM

You read something, I'm not aware of???? We barely paid are former coach 'pocket change--- Somewhere near !75,000 ..... (Pacific) Former problems with NCAA was with "unsupervised on line tests... from BYU" ..... I think we had to give up [???? 10 wins, my my] 3 foreign players were helped (against the rules) for Visas..... NONE of them could play more than 10 minutes per game (extremely poor all around players) ..... sad but true!

JPtheBeasta
09-27-2017, 04:39 PM
You read something, I'm not aware of???? We barely paid are former coach 'pocket change--- Somewhere near !75,000 ..... (Pacific) Former problems with NCAA was with "unsupervised on line tests... from BYU" ..... I think we had to give up [???? 10 wins, my my] 3 foreign players were helped (against the rules) for Visas..... NONE of them could play more than 10 minutes per game (extremely poor all around players) ..... sad but true!

I think he was being facetious. It's been a running joke that Pacific is being punished by the NCAA by proxy for violations perpetrated by the blue blood programs.

CDC84
09-27-2017, 04:43 PM

Any chance that is Few?

From The Sporting News:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/college-basketball-fbi-fraud-corruption-chuck-person-auburn-louisville-rick-pitino/c7a8msafdhpr18rug7a84usnx

If you believe all of college hoops was thrown for a loop, however, you have become far too jaded as a fan. There were pockets all around the game silently celebrating when the Justice Department presented indictments against 10 men in two cases: one that alleges bribes were paid to college coaches in exchange for steering college players as they turned professional to particular money managers; and another that charges an executive at athletic apparel giant Adidas and several other men were arranging payments to steer players to particular basketball programs and disguising them on the company’s books.

“It’s a good day for people who are doing it for the right reasons,” one coach who fits the description told Sporting News.

They are out there. It would be nice to identify some of them, but to do so would be to exclude too many who might fit the description. Just know that many of them are successful, on the floor and off, but they are feeling that maybe what transpired will give them an even better chance to compete for the prospects they covet.

When the “right reasons” coach told me he has never seen as much corruption in the game as now, I reminded him of some of the familiar scenes he likely would remember from Summer Basketball Past. And, he agreed, it was pretty crummy then too.

However, he said, what has changed is the families or handlers of some prospects have become brazen in regard to demands. Whereas before some would want money in exchange for the athlete playing at a particular school, now some request to be paid just for consenting to make an official visit.How does a “right reasons” coach know this? Because at the hint of such demands, or the inclusion of a handler with a history of crossing that line, the coach moves on to other targets. He knows he might lose a game to that player in the future. It might even be a big game. It might even be an NCAA Tournament game.

Better that than dealing with those three letters sending shivers through college basketball — now more than the four.

scrooner
09-27-2017, 05:03 PM
http://hoopshype.com/reps/andy-miller/ List of Andy's NBA clients
http://www.asmsports.com/asm-family ASM Clients

Do a search and see where these players played their college ball.............................................. ........

Just offhand, former Louisville player Peyton Siva stands out.

CDC84
09-27-2017, 05:18 PM
I think the most common phrase we will hear the next few months as the investigations and trials proceed:

"I have no recollection of that."

DixieZag
09-27-2017, 05:18 PM
How much does the very existence of the AAU contribute to this?

I'm asking precisely because I don't know anything about it.

If the AAU didn't exist, and "summer ball" consisted of playing with your high school at camps, and that's it, would there be such a ripe environment for scandal? Would the shoe companies infiltrate the GSL for the right player?

Should Seattle Rotarians be slightly worried at all? Sponsors of teams likely just are like benevolent benefactors, right? But do they hire the coach for Seattle Rotary and other elite AAU teams?

Other than money, shoe companies, and coaches, the AAU system seems to be the hellscape upon which the seeds of all this get planted, and once a kid is in the pipeline, one wonders how much "choice" the actual student has.

maynard g krebs
09-27-2017, 05:33 PM
Ok, boss. Federales getting close?

I'll ask Poncho and Lefty and get back to you.

Anything's possible, I suppose, but the late loss of McCoy to UNLV and the fact BBZ says Bowen's other cash bidder was Texas (Bowen visited UO just before the surprise commit to Louisville) is a positive sign for my second favorite team.

Seriously, though, you diminish yourself with gratuitous and pejorative comments about bald people. (Yes, I am one, and have heard many such comments, though now that I am old those don't seem to happen). Lame form of bullying imo.

Congrats on your apparent physical perfection.

cjm720
09-27-2017, 06:42 PM
From The Sporting News:

A lot of good coaches out there. The classic case of a few bad apples...not sure why it has taken so long for a crack down.

Zagdawg
09-27-2017, 07:08 PM
Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN 40s40 seconds ago
More
Arizona President Robert C. Robbins, in a statement, said he has initiated the dismissal process of assistant coach Book Richardson.

sittingon50
09-27-2017, 07:24 PM
If you think about who the reporters like, who is popular, Few is right up there with many. If you think about who the reporters have enough of a relationship with to call and get an "off the record" type of quote, and which "prominent Division 1 Head Coach" has "without a doubt" lost recruits to pay, it sure makes him a likely candidate, doesn't it?

Ernie paid Luke Ridnour?

bballbeachbum
09-27-2017, 08:18 PM

+1

zagsfanforlife
09-27-2017, 08:27 PM
Have a pretty good source that says Miller gets out of this unscathed. Looks like it is heading that way. Absolute joke and U of A and their fans should be ashamed. You have to have 1/4 of a brain to think that any of these head coaches did not know what tactics their top assistants were taking to get some of these kids. Shame. By the way, most of these kids being named were not even top recruits getting $150,000... What do you imagine the TOP recruits are getting? 300k? 500k?

Zagceo
09-27-2017, 08:39 PM
Miller gets a pass IMO.....not Pitino

Have a pretty good source that says Miller gets out of this unscathed. Looks like it is heading that way. Absolute joke and U of A and their fans should be ashamed. You have to have 1/4 of a brain to think that any of these head coaches did not know what tactics their top assistants were taking to get some of these kids. Shame. By the way, most of these kids being named were not even top recruits getting $150,000... What do you imagine the TOP recruits are getting? 300k? 500k?

if true....thats 2 for 2

basketballzag
09-27-2017, 08:54 PM
https://deadspin.com/alabama-basketball-admin-who-previously-worked-in-ncaa-1818865794

FBI to announce more indictments tomorrow on heels of Alabama firing their Basketball Administer today (also was former NCAA Enforcement Division Investigator).

Also Sean Miller is really on the hot seat and the next revelation which will come out is likely his last at UA. I was told by someone close to program that if nothing else comes out Miller is safe but unfortunately there is a lot more to drop at UA By the FBI.

Hoopaholic
09-27-2017, 09:22 PM
Imo....root cause of the evil

I coached adidas summer league in mid to late 80's and left because it was raising its ugly head then and stuck strictly to high school team camps and individual work outs

On side note this issue may also be at high school level now in greater Seattle with some high profile transfer issues lately

sittingon50
09-27-2017, 11:35 PM
https://deadspin.com/alabama-basketball-admin-who-previously-worked-in-ncaa-1818865794

FBI to announce more indictments tomorrow on heels of Alabama firing their Basketball Administer today (also was former NCAA Enforcement Division Investigator).

Also Sean Miller is really on the hot seat and the next revelation which will come out is likely his last at UA. I was told by someone close to program that if nothing else comes out Miller is safe but unfortunately there is a lot more to drop at UA By the FBI.

First I've heard of Alabama & S. Carolina.

ZionZag
09-28-2017, 02:51 AM
You have to have 1/4 of a brain to think that any of these head coaches did not know what tactics their top assistants were taking to get some of these kids.

This coach seemed to know...........

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=45963060&nid=635&title=josh-furlong-krystkowiak-was-right-about-cheating-in-college-athletics-ncaa-should-listen

kitzbuel
09-28-2017, 03:25 AM
You really wonder about Romar and his ability to reel in the highest level recruits with nothing visibly tangible (like tournament success) to attract them. I am convinced Romar got caught up in the * game. "How many *s can I recruit?" Lost his touch with what made him successful to start with.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Birddog
09-28-2017, 03:50 AM
First I've heard of Alabama & S. Carolina.

Lamont Evans who got nailed at Ok St was at S Carolina 2 years ago before being hired by Brad Underwood at OSU. I'm guessing there is some lengthy history with some of these characters.

Bogozags
09-28-2017, 04:05 AM

I sure hope Coach Miller isn't involved as I really like him BUT I bet that IU job looks pretty good right now...in fact Dayton looks good too...

SWZag
09-28-2017, 05:48 AM
Jay Williams admitted that his former sports agency paid Kevin Love's AAU coach $250,000 (http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/09/espn-jay-williams-kevin-love-aau-coach-250-college-basketball-scandal-fbi-ncaa)

willandi
09-28-2017, 05:53 AM
There were two interesting viewpoints I heard on the radio yesterday.

The first was that the FBI would not make the announcement in the middle of the investigation, ergo, most of the principles that they had uncovered have now been named.

The counterpoint was that, when assistants are facing years in prison, now is when THEY will begin to snitch, to tell all, including their bosses, in order to cut their losses. It was even suggested that, like in the OJ Simpson case in Vegas, many of the underlings probably made their own recordings. These will be turned over to the FBI and the trail will climb higher.

It seems improbable to me, that the head coaches could not have known. It seems, again to me, that it was their job to know. 13 scholarships per year. How can you inexplicably land some of these kids and not wonder why. They had lost institutional control, at the very least.

kitzbuel
09-28-2017, 06:02 AM
Good article on the genesis of the investigation:
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/college/2017/09/27/Louis-Marty-Blazer-college-basketball-scandal-2017-ncca-fbi-pittsburgh/stories/201709270146

MTZag03
09-28-2017, 06:16 AM
So how confident is everyone in GU being clean right now? I'm other basketball forums I've been lambasted for thinking that we have a clean program.

gu03alum
09-28-2017, 06:26 AM
So how confident is everyone in GU being clean right now? I'm other basketball forums I've been lambasted for thinking that we have a clean program.

This always seemed kind of shady to me.

LINK (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8572260/david-salinas-financial-scams-cause-distress-texas-college-hoops-community-espn-magazine)

Beginning in the late '80s, Salinas and his "guys" would gather each year in the host city of the Final Four. At first just some pals meeting for beers, over the years it became known as the "J. David" party. Hors d'oeuvres and an open bar, 300 people, usually held at the host city's Hard Rock Cafe. A guest list became necessary. Coaches looking for jobs would use the party to rub elbows with head coaches; coaches not on the list would try to crash it. Salinas, of course, worked the room, making sure his closest clients invited others they knew to the party. "That's how he grew the business," says one.

By the late 2000s, Salinas' assets under management had expanded considerably. Some people heard $100 million, others as much as half a billion. At least 18 coaches were clients of his in some capacity, including Gillispie, Gonzaga's Mark Few, Baylor's Art Briles (football) and Scott Drew (basketball), Nebraska's then-coach Doc Sadler, Illinois State's then-coach Tim Jankovich and Weber State's Randy Rahe, among others.

MileHigh
09-28-2017, 06:29 AM
How much does the very existence of the AAU contribute to this?

I'm asking precisely because I don't know anything about it.

If the AAU didn't exist, and "summer ball" consisted of playing with your high school at camps, and that's it, would there be such a ripe environment for scandal? Would the shoe companies infiltrate the GSL for the right player?

Amateur Athletic Association (AAU) basketball, isnt really a thing anymore. They still hold tournaments, but it has been relegated to second tier. The top summer leagues and tournaments are now run by the three shoe companies and the teams are referred to as "Grassroots Teams. Nike (EYBL League) Adidas (Adidas Uprising League) and Under Armour (UA Association) together sponsor approximately 100 grass roots programs which play in their leagues. The amount each grass roots program gets "on the books" from the shoe companies varies, with the top clubs like the Oakland Soldiers, Compton Magic, Indiana Elite getting 200k+ per season with the lesser known clubs getting about half that. The only obligation the clubs have to the shoe company per their contract is to provide a 17U and 16U team for each of their events and all coaches and players must wear that brand shoe and clothing at all times during travel to and from the tourney and during the tourney. Out of that sponsorship money clubs pay for travel, entry fees, and coach salaries, the rest goes in the club directors pocket. Shoes and gear are thrown in extra by the shoe companies. Now mind you, that is just the "on the books" contractual money that goes to these clubs. There is as much under the table, off the books money flowing to some of the seedier club directors from street agents, coaches, and other hangers on who are trying to get in good with these kids. For example, most of the African kids you see playing at big time basketball schools have been brought over to the US through shoe company money funneled through clubs to "scouts" in Africa who provide the best players to the US for a fee

Its all really, really, dirty and I think this FBI investigation may change how all these shoe companies approach youth basketball.

MTZag03
09-28-2017, 06:34 AM
This always seemed kind of shady to me.

LINK (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8572260/david-salinas-financial-scams-cause-distress-texas-college-hoops-community-espn-magazine)

That's very interesting. I don't see anything suggesting bad recruiting practices by gonzaga though, just a ponzi scheme. It is unsavory though.

BavarianZag
09-28-2017, 06:38 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170928/b51b92823b16b1b049943f9f74e91052.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birddog
09-28-2017, 06:57 AM
From the Oklahoman
http://newsok.com/associate-head-coach-lamont-evans-released-on-50000-bond/article/5565865

Dressed in a black Nike Air Max sweatshirt, black pants and Nike athletic shoes, Evans answered "yes, sir," when U.S. Magistrate Judge Charles Goodwin asked him if he had received and reviewed the bribery-related allegations leveled against him by federal prosecutors in New York.

Brand loyalty?

Kiddwell
09-28-2017, 06:57 AM
I sure hope Coach Miller isn't involved as I really like him BUT I bet that IU job looks pretty good right now...in fact Dayton looks good too...

This fan likes Sean Miller (and Arizona b-ball team), too, Bogo. Likewise hope he isn't involved. Regarding other posts, is it fair to go after former UW Coach Romar? He and Few didn't get along, but postings here (in years past) said Romar is a good man. Till something concretely reported about his former program, it just doesn't seem fair (to me) to throw his name into this mess.

TexasZagFan
09-28-2017, 06:58 AM
I called in to the local show this morning, one of the hosts changed his attitude after thinking it through. He's a Buckeye alum, and he put 2 +2 together as regards the termination of Thad Motta. He brought up Kobe Simmons specifically, who committed to Arizona at the last minute. Up until then, he was asking "where's the victim in all this?"

I called in to pass on how the Zags have lost recruits to Arizona, USC, and SDSU over the past several years...not that they were guaranteed to sign with the Zags, of course, but that it certainly raises questions if money changed hands.

I wasn't looking to get on the air, as I had just arrived late to work due to Grandparents Day at Big D's school.

kitzbuel
09-28-2017, 06:58 AM

Given the fact that we have struggled bringing in blue chip recruits, my confidence is higher than it would be if I were a UK or UNC fan.

btzag
09-28-2017, 06:59 AM
You have to have 1/4 of a brain to think that any of these head coaches did not know what tactics their top assistants were taking to get some of these kids.

This coach seemed to know...........

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=45963060&nid=635&title=josh-furlong-krystkowiak-was-right-about-cheating-in-college-athletics-ncaa-should-listen

These head coaches absolutely know what's going on and Miller, Pearl, Martin, Enfield, etc should all be fired immediately. Just look at Pitino's insistence he knew nothing and now track all the things 'coach-2' did during the investigation. IF they insist they knew nothing they are flat out lying to everyone and should never be considered trustworthy again in this sport.

scrooner
09-28-2017, 07:04 AM

Bennie Boatwright?

RenoZag
09-28-2017, 07:11 AM
Jay Williams admitted that his former sports agency paid Kevin Love's AAU coach $250,000 (http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/09/espn-jay-williams-kevin-love-aau-coach-250-college-basketball-scandal-fbi-ncaa)

Great quote from Kevin Love in that story: " If I was going with an agent,” said Kevin Love, “why would I ever go with a guy who, no offense, but he crashed a motorcycle into a tree. I’m not going to go with a guy that’s reckless.”

Zag_Dad
09-28-2017, 07:23 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170928/b51b92823b16b1b049943f9f74e91052.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BaHaHa... I'd buy one of these shirts!