PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Considering Proposal regarding Immediate Eligibility for Transfers

SLOZag
09-06-2017, 10:09 AM
Myron Medcalf of ESPN reports:

"Granting immediate eligibility to transfers who meet specific academic standards is one of the controversial proposals an NCAA working group will ask the powerbrokers of college sports to evaluate this month.

The collection of proposals, "intended to improve the transfer environment for college athletes, coaches and teams in Division I," per the NCAA's release, could lead to a dramatic shift in the rules that govern transfers, albeit in the future.

"The Transfer Working Group has referred to the Committee on Academics an idea that would allow immediate eligibility for students who meet certain academic benchmarks," said Michelle Hosick, the NCAA's associate director of public and media relations. "What those benchmarks would be, no one knows yet. The decision will be driven by data. The Committee on Academics meets next in October and will begin discussing the concept. ... It's not going to be voted on in the 2017-18 legislative cycle."

The proposals include increasing the penalties for tampering with a potential transfer, offering full aid to postgraduate transfers throughout their graduate programs and eliminating a school's power to control a transfer's list of desired destinations."

Lots more to be found in the article: http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20606338/ncaa-mull-working-group-proposal-immediately-eligibility-transfers

Zags_Fanatic
09-06-2017, 11:28 AM
Hard to imagine a situation where this doesn't benefit GU. I'm sure the smaller schools will be against it but the NCAA is so top heavy I could see this going through.

CDC84
09-06-2017, 11:36 AM
Yeah, I think this is a bad idea unless it is a situation where a head coach and his staff are fired. I have always felt that kids should be allowed to leave immediately as they are, in most cases, committing to the coach as much or more than the university.

I know some people don't like the graduate transfer rule either, but at least there are cases of kids who are genuinely doing it for academic reasons. Not every graduate transfer goes to an elite program.

mgadfly
09-06-2017, 01:04 PM
Hard to imagine a situation where this doesn't benefit GU. I'm sure the smaller schools will be against it but the NCAA is so top heavy I could see this going through.

Currently, I think GU benefits because it isn't a Pac-12 school so Pac-12 transfers are more free to move to GU. One of the points said, "eliminating a school's power to control a transfer's list of desired destinations." I think that could hurt GU if they mean allowing transfers within the same conference. Maybe my knowledge is out-dated, but I thought there was an additional year of ineligibility for undergrad transfers within a conference.

Mr Vulture
09-06-2017, 01:09 PM
Currently, I think GU benefits because it isn't a Pac-12 school so Pac-12 transfers are more free to move to GU. One of the points said, "eliminating a school's power to control a transfer's list of desired destinations." I think that could hurt GU if they mean allowing transfers within the same conference. Maybe my knowledge is out-dated, but I thought there was an additional year of ineligibility for undergrad transfers within a conference.

I believe that part is in reference to schools telling transfers that they will release them but that they can't transfer to an in conference school or future opponents typically. Sometimes a school will block another school because they feel tampering happened. An example would be WSU last year was going to block their center transfer to SDSU as they felt it was tampering (I did too). The kid showed up at a SDSU game to watch and then all of sudden was going to transfer...ultimately to SDSU.

bartruff1
09-06-2017, 01:41 PM
Athletes (like anyone else) should be free to transfer anytime they want to anywhere they want and be eligible play in the next game...screw the NCAA.

tinfoilzag
09-06-2017, 04:18 PM
Someone should let the top prospects know they can just come to GU out of high school to avoid the hassle of transferring later :)

willandi
09-06-2017, 05:29 PM
Athletes (like anyone else) should be free to transfer anytime they want to anywhere they want and be eligible play in the next game...screw the NCAA.

Well, it is a little different. If you spend 4 years at West Point, the Naval Academy etc., you can't just walk away. You have a debt to pay. It is somewhat in line with that.

I do agree that if a coach is gone, his recruits should be allowed to go, and if you have fulfilled the part at the school, got your degree, you should be able to go...and for undergrads, declaring and sitting out a year should be all. They should be able to transfer wherever they want. With the 5 years to play 4, it still would limit transfers.

Shanachie
09-06-2017, 05:38 PM
Since scholarships don't come with a four year commitment (the coaching staff can choose not to renew at any point), I think it's reasonable for players to transfer without having to sit out a year.

RenoZag
09-06-2017, 07:43 PM
Yeah, I think this is a bad idea unless it is a situation where a head coach and his staff are fired. I have always felt that kids should be allowed to leave immediately as they are, in most cases, committing to the coach as much or more than the university.

I would add where a head coach leaves to take another job. Happens to mid-majors often. And it spurs transfers. The athletes are penalized by the delayed eligibility.

bartruff1
09-06-2017, 07:50 PM
I don't believe the Service Academies give athletic scholarships .... I don't know the details but I believe when you accept a appointment to the Academy you both agree to some future obligations..... including several years of active duty...

As Shanachie pointed out, the college coaches can end a scholarship ..... probably for any reason at any time....more than a one way street..

Screw the schools and the coaches also...or is it too...? .

kitzbuel
09-07-2017, 03:32 AM
I don't believe the Service Academies give athletic scholarships .... I don't know the details but I believe when you accept a appointment to the Academy you both agree to some future obligations..... including several years of active duty...

As Shanachie pointed out, the college coaches can end a scholarship ..... probably for any reason at any time....more than a one way street..

Screw the schools and the coaches also...or is it too...? .All Cadets/Midshipmen have a service obligation at the completion of their schooling. If they do not complete school or their service obligation they must repay their education on a pro-rated basis.

Same holds true for contracted ROTC Cadets.

I think the difference between athletes and cadets is that athletes provide their service during the course of their academic career and cadets provide it afterwards. Student athletes don't owe anything in exchange for their scholarships once they leave.

Of course the one exception is a red shirt. In that case I think there should be some sort of deal in place to protect the school and keep a student athlete from transferring following a red shirt unless they compensate the school.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Gufan
09-07-2017, 03:45 AM
Hard to imagine a situation where this doesn't benefit GU.

GU has earned a reputation for developing players during the year they have to sit out. It'sa big factor in how we've attracted the high level transfers we have. If players are immediately eligible to play, there's no need for them to consider what a school can offer during the off year, which is a major selling point for GU.

Regardless of what I think of the rule, eliminating a major advantage we have in the transfer recruiting battles will only hurt us.

MileHigh
09-07-2017, 04:17 AM
This rule would really hurt mid major leagues. Those real good players that fall through the cracks during HS recruiting and blossom in those leagues would be recruited by the P5 schools just like they are JUCO kids. And you cant blame a kid for leaving a Long Beach State for USC, a ST Marys for Cal, or a Northern Colorado for CU. With no penalty for the transfer it would be seamless and I imagine just about every all conference kid with eligibility in those leagues would be looking around every year

bartruff1
09-07-2017, 04:22 AM
As the coaches do and as the players should...

MileHigh
09-07-2017, 04:35 AM

At the Air Force Academy cadets are considered member of the United States Air Force upon enrollment and are payed a salary while they attend school there. They can leave the academy anytime prior to the beginning of their 3rd year without owing any future military service, if they stay longer than that they must serve 4 years active duty once they leave the Academy.

TexasZagFan
09-07-2017, 06:36 AM
At the Air Force Academy cadets are considered member of the United States Air Force upon enrollment and are payed a salary while they attend school there. They can leave the academy anytime prior to the beginning of their 3rd year without owing any future military service, if they stay longer than that they must serve 4 years active duty once they leave the Academy.

Same applies to ROTC scholarship cadets.

CDC84
09-07-2017, 07:34 AM
I would add where a head coach leaves to take another job. Happens to mid-majors often. And it spurs transfers. The athletes are penalized by the delayed eligibility.

+1

Even more so.

willandi
09-07-2017, 11:01 AM
If a transfer goes down, to Div 2, 3 or NAIA, they don't have to sit, right?

How about if a transfer goes to a lower ranked conference, they don't have to sit, but if they go up, like WCC to ACC, they do have to sit?

Still good for almost all student athletes and protects the smaller conferences and schools.

bartruff1
09-07-2017, 12:30 PM
The NCAA and the professional leagues treat athletes like property....

kitzbuel
09-07-2017, 01:42 PM
The NCAA and the professional leagues treat athletes like property....

But at least in professional leagues they get compensated in accordance with the value of their product.

sylean
09-07-2017, 08:45 PM

why should a university invest money in recruiting, training, academics, etc to have that person just decide to leave?..( Money and time)..a university places a lot of importance in assembling its team, counting on certain talents...they may forgo recruiting others for that same talent......so it upsets their whole scheme for the team....the recruit afterall, accepted the scholarship....no one forced him....

this is a bad idea and it sounds like the NCAA has gone full blown rich schools and it will be the detriment for smaller schools....and the rich schools have to have somebody to beat up on, so the smaller schools need to stay competitive and relevant.

bartruff1
09-07-2017, 10:47 PM
Non Sequitur...

Shanachie
09-08-2017, 09:02 AM
why should a university invest money in recruiting, training, academics, etc to have that person just decide to leave?..( Money and time)..a university places a lot of importance in assembling its team, counting on certain talents...they may forgo recruiting others for that same talent......so it upsets their whole scheme for the team....the recruit afterall, accepted the scholarship....no one forced him....

this is a bad idea and it sounds like the NCAA has gone full blown rich schools and it will be the detriment for smaller schools....and the rich schools have to have somebody to beat up on, so the smaller schools need to stay competitive and relevant.

Again, the player gets a one year scholarship. The university makes no commitment beyond that. If the player is not as good as expected, or if a better one comes along, the kid might not be on scholarship next year, or he might be at the end of the bench. The deck is stacked in favor of the school. Allowing players to transfer without sitting out and eliminating the ability for the school to restrict where a player can transfer are a couple of steps toward more balance in my view.

As for whether this would harm mid-majors, I'm not so sure. I think there are a lot more potential transfers "down" than there are transfers "up." It seems to me that transfers happen because kids aren't happy with their situation because of lack of playing time, disagreement with the coach, etc., so they transfer to programs where they will have a bigger role. Sure, there are some players who blossom at mid-major programs and decide to try to step up to a big-time program, but my impression is that those are less common than the reverse.

CDC84
09-08-2017, 12:42 PM
From a reputable college basketball analyst:

The story is wrong.

An overreaction.

NCAA reacted immediately to put out that fire.

Almost certainly will only happen if courts force it, or if NCAA becomes convinced it will be court-ordered and "self-imposes"