PDA

View Full Version : Athlon Online Zags Preview

ZagNative
10-22-2007, 10:07 PM
I don't think the online preview from Athlon Sports on SI has been posted before. Apologies if it has been, but a search for me didn't find it.

Gonzaga preview (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/ncaa/specials/preview/2007/teams/gonzag.html)

All Teams (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/ncaa/specials/preview/2007/teams/)

Nevtelen
10-22-2007, 10:37 PM
From the preview:

“Losing Pierre hurts,” Few said. “He would have been another senior we could have turned to for leadership. But I like the guys we have coming back, and I’m really looking forward to seeing what the new kids can do.”

For all those who were thinking that Few forced PMAC into a short-end-of-the-stick deal with promised PT.

sittingon50
10-22-2007, 10:46 PM
Thanks Native. Hadn't seen it. Good synopsis.

trizag
10-23-2007, 12:15 PM
If GU is consistently "ripped on" for their lack of defensive skills what effective, defensive mindset (threat)could coach Grier really be selling to SD?

San Diego (18–14, 6–8)
Eighteen wins weren’t enough to save Brad Holland’s job, and now the task of leading the Toreros in their annual and dogged pursuit of WCC bully Gonzaga falls on the shoulders of rookie head coach Bill Grier, a longtime assistant for the Zags. Grier, who spent 16 seasons under three different head coaches at GU, inherits a roster loaded with returning talent. The Toreros should be able to make a run at the conference title — provided Grier can get his veteran players to buy into his defensive-minded coaching philosophy. Junior forward Gyno Pomare earned a spot on the All-WCC first team after averaging 14.9 points and a team-high 8.3 rebounds last winter. Junior point guard Brandon Johnson, who led the league with an average of 4.75 assists, is also back, along with a pair of solid sophomore performers in guard De’Jon Jackson and Chris Lewis, who were both named to the WCC’s All-Freshman Team last year.