PDA

View Full Version : OT: Is this a NCAA violation waiting to happen?

LongIslandZagFan
08-31-2017, 11:57 AM
I will move this to another part of the forum in a bit.

But unless I am missing something... I cannot see how this doesn't kill LaMelo's NCAA eligibility.

https://sneakernews.com/2017/08/31/lamelo-ball-big-baller-brand-mb1/

Zagdawg
08-31-2017, 12:04 PM
LaVar Ball to ESPN on whether LaMelo will be able to play at UCLA with his own signature sneaker: "We'll worry about it when we get there. Who cares? If he can't play, then he can't play. It doesn't mean he'll stop working out and getting better. ... Maybe in two years they'll change the rule and he'll be able to the NBA straight out of high school."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20520784/high-school-junior-lamelo-ball-now-signature-shoe-395

Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN 2h2 hours ago
LaVar said LaMelo just got a Lamborghini for his 16th birthday. LiAngelo (frosh at UCLA) has a Ferrari and Lonzo drives a Mercedes G-5.

realtydog
08-31-2017, 12:06 PM
If it doesn't -----the gates are wide open

LongIslandZagFan
08-31-2017, 12:11 PM

Sadly, true.

soccerdud
08-31-2017, 12:15 PM
i dunno, i may have just heard steve alford breathe a huge sigh of relief...

webspinnre
08-31-2017, 12:18 PM
It's tricky, as it's a family business.

gonstu
08-31-2017, 12:21 PM
LaVar Ball to ESPN on whether LaMelo will be able to play at UCLA with his own signature sneaker: "We'll worry about it when we get there. Who cares? If he can't play, then he can't play. It doesn't mean he'll stop working out and getting better. ... Maybe in two years they'll change the rule and he'll be able to the NBA straight out of high school."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20520784/high-school-junior-lamelo-ball-now-signature-shoe-395

LaVar said LaMelo just got a Lamborghini for his 16th birthday. LiAngelo (frosh at UCLA) has a Ferrari and Lonzo drives a Mercedes G-5.

Sounds like this family is on a fast track to their own reality show on the E network - somewhere in the Kardashian show lineup.

bartruff1
08-31-2017, 12:24 PM

He makes a good point...college is pretty much irrelevant to this family....they are the Kardashians of college basketball... and they are car guys besides...hopefully I will see them on the Jay Leno Show..

MDABE80
08-31-2017, 12:40 PM
With all the distraction in very murky waters, I wouldn't touch any of these kids. Lonzo kept it under control in his only year but the drama/borderline NCAA violations have grown. The other two ( right or wrong) will be looked at like freaks. Any taint likely generated by their father who obviously a money driven guy. No rules for this guy. A university will always be plagued by his stunts which invariably involve the players (his sons). Nothing more than a pimp. That has implications for a University's structure and the bball program. Next stop is for the Dad to do things not in the rules book. Something not covered. He's a plague using his kids to make his fortune. Very bad, complex situation.

jake
08-31-2017, 12:46 PM
LaMelo is a very good player, but he's not a complete lock for the NBA, especially without the benefit of playing in college. Who cares how much money the family may have now? The fact that LaVar Ball would jeopardize his son's ability to play in college just to advance the brand and his own persona tells me all I need to know about him. I used to think it was a well calculated, marketing act, but more and more it becomes clear that his behavior is nothing more than who he is, a self-centered man that thinks the world revolves around him.

krozman
08-31-2017, 12:55 PM
I would have a stronger opinion on this if this actually affected GU basketball (like he was thinking of coming here). Maybe i'm an arrogant jerk, but he's a stupid kid coming from a family of arrogant jerks that care for nobody but themselves and aren't afraid of showing it. They're going to end up on a cable channel that I don't watch and they will make their money, or not, and I don't care. Thankfully i'm not important enough for anyone to care about my opinion either so it all washes out.

ZagNative
08-31-2017, 01:33 PM
I would have a stronger opinion on this if this actually affected GU basketball (like he was thinking of coming here). Maybe i'm an arrogant jerk, but he's a stupid kid coming from a family of arrogant jerks that care for nobody but themselves and aren't afraid of showing it. They're going to end up on a cable channel that I don't watch and they will make their money, or not, and I don't care. Thankfully i'm not important enough for anyone to care about my opinion either so it all washes out.A perfect summation of my feelings. I couldn't care less about the comings and goings and doings and undoings of the Ball family.

Kemo 1966
09-01-2017, 12:59 PM

Actually, the NORTH CAROLINA DECISION is FAR More Important AND could make the NCAA administration arm--- totally useless !!!! Imagine, schools designing classes for 'dumb athletes so they can play sports and graduate with ???? .... Adolf Rupp isn't smiling!

CDC84
09-15-2017, 04:19 PM
I have heard that neither of the other kids comes close to Lonzo. That normally wouldn't be a big deal, but it could become a big deal because of their dad. What happens if one of them gets benched due to poor play?? It could happen. Will LaVar try to usurp Alford's authority?? Of course this assumes they are eligible in the first place.

I already have said that I think Lonzo is going to physically pay the price for his dad's mouth in the NBA. I expect to see one or two NBA vets (who have paid their dues) deliver "suspension-level" fouls on this kid. I am not saying it's right, but there are NBA guys who don't like kids like this. I still don't know how he's going to get that awkward jumper off in the NBA. Everyone last year talked about how it "went in." Well, when you have 5-10 non-pro players guarding you..........