PDA

View Full Version : Which assistant is most likely to be a very successful head coach? (Tommy Lloyd)

CDC84
08-30-2017, 01:03 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/candid-coaches-which-assistant-is-most-likely-to-be-a-very-successful-head-coach/

Tommy ended up at #4. One comment:

On Gonzaga's Tommy Lloyd ...

"All he has to do is be patient and wait for [Mark Few] to retire. If he does that, his first job will be one of the best 15 jobs in the nation. And he'll keep it going [at Gonzaga] no problem."

Zag_Dad
08-30-2017, 01:31 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/candid-coaches-which-assistant-is-most-likely-to-be-a-very-successful-head-coach/

Tommy ended up at #4. One comment:

I wonder whether Tommy will have the patience to wait. Few will be 55 this year and Lloyd will turn 43 (interestingly they have birthdays within a week of each other). I don't get the sense that Few is ready to hang it up anytime soon, but you never know. Few is rumored to make about $1.6 million a year, but I couldn't find anything on how much Lloyd makes. I am sure he gets paid well (especially for a Spokane lifestyle) but sometimes it's about the ego.

I hope Lloyd wants to be a Zag his entire career and sticks around long enough to inherit the program when Few decides to retire. I'm confident that the program will survive even if they both depart but I'd prefer not to see whether I'm right.

GO ZAGS

webspinnre
08-30-2017, 01:45 PM
These polls they've been doing have been fun offseason reading. We're very blessed to have Tommy, and I certainly hope he sticks around, but would understand if he took another job.

bartruff1
08-30-2017, 04:22 PM
I doubt Few will be coaching into his 60s.....he was asked about Boeheim's long career and I don't recall his exact reaction but it was like " No Way ".......

I think Mark has said that two of his favorite days in the year are the day that season starts and the day it ends... that strikes me as a very well balanced attitude...

Zag_Dad
08-30-2017, 07:00 PM
I doubt Few will be coaching into his 60s.....he was asked about Boeheim's long career and I don't recall his exact reaction but it was like " No Way ".......

I think Mark has said that two of his favorite days in the year are the day that season starts and the day it ends... that strikes me as a very well balanced attitude...

I saw a statement made by Few along these lines. However, I think it was more about whether he planned to stay in the business as long as coaches like Boeheim or Kryzewski. His response, as you indicated, was something along the lines of "hell no". However, it's important to note that Boeheim is 72 and Kryzewski is 70. Few could stay in the business a long time before he reaches the "he'll no" territory. I see him working until normal retirement age...around 65. That would mean another decade under Few.

bartruff1
08-30-2017, 08:12 PM
I have no idea what the normal retirement age is for coaches....

but I do know that I retired in my early 50's from a rewarding and challenging career in engineering that I enjoyed every day....

and my only regret is that I didn't retire sooner.... so that is my projection on retirement, right or wrong...

Zag_Dad
08-31-2017, 06:12 AM
I have no idea what the normal retirement age is for coaches....

but I do know that I retired in my early 50's from a rewarding and challenging career in engineering that I enjoyed every day....

and my only regret is that I didn't retire sooner.... so that is my projection on retirement, right or wrong...

Congratulations on your retirement. Mark Few turns 55 this December so I hope Few is not on the same retirement trajectory as you were.

willandi
08-31-2017, 09:51 AM
I think that Tommy has a great chance to excel as a college head coach, if he waits for Mark to retire. We have seen the track record of those that head for other pastures.