PDA

View Full Version : Matt Santangelo article

Radbooks
10-22-2007, 06:20 PM
Just a heads up that there will be an article tomorrow (Tuesday) in the Spokesman-Review about Matt. Here is a snippet from the piece:

Then & Now: Former GU player Matt Santangelo

October 22, 2007

After years of reflection and careful consideration, Matt Santangelo can now offer a perfectly logical explanation for Gonzaga’s shock-the-college-basketball-world runs in the 1999 and 2000 NCAA tournaments.

“We weren’t smart enough to know we shouldn’t be doing this,” Santangelo said. “Ultimately we didn’t get in the way of ourselves. We had a great team and we were competitive from the get-go.”

Of course, Santangelo was and is a smart guy. He was recruited by Stanford and Northwestern and eventually started a GU-record 129 games while twice earning WCC All-Academic honors. The more he delved into GU’s memorable dashes to the Elite Eight and Sweet Sixteen, the more he was able to explain the inexplicable – how an unheralded “bunch of knuckleheads” knocked off Minnesota, Stanford, Florida, Louisville and St. John’s, and established Gonzaga’s program on the national landscape.

Read more Tuesday online or in The Spokesman-Review.

ZagNative
10-22-2007, 06:24 PM
Cool. I'm looking forward to the full article.

xjzico
10-22-2007, 08:11 PM
Knuckleheads in the best sense of the word. C'mon Northwestern and Stanford? How strange things work out. What would GU be if Brevin Knight hadn't gone to Stanford?

Amyway, had the chance to be a fly on the wall and observe the likes of Santangelo, Frahm, Spink, Leisure (a personal fave for being so cool to a scrub like myself) and the rest of that crew and left very impressed. Wasn't totally suprised when GU kicked it up a notch. And my take was Santagelo is a winner no matter how you cut it.

I started to follow GU around the Bakari Hendrix years but was totally sold during the Frahm/Santagelo years and suspected something was amiss. And after each following year I can't help but feel GU might be a program of destiny. Regardless, they've been a heck of fun to watch and root for over the last 10 years- 3pt defense be damned.

tyra
10-22-2007, 10:05 PM
What is MAtt doing these days? I've lost track.

rennis
10-23-2007, 08:33 AM
Of course, Santangelo was and is a smart guy.

Truth. I had classes with Matt and he truly is a smart dude. The same couldn't be said for all his teammates...but on a whole that was a high IQ group of guys on the floor. Especially Santangelo and Spink.

thanks for the heads up!

BobZag
10-23-2007, 09:17 AM
What is MAtt doing these days? I've lost track.

Is working for a financial company here in Spokane now. Meehan did a very nice job. Recommended reading for all Zag fans.

Radbooks
10-23-2007, 09:14 PM
There was more information on Matt on the S-R website that couldn't fit in the main article because of space limitations. Here is the link to that site:

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=6253#more

ZagNative
10-23-2007, 09:46 PM
Thanks, Radbooks, for picking up those extra nuggets for us. That really was a great piece. From the main article,

"One thing I took away from Gonzaga is that success is just a byproduct of doing things the right way," Santangelo said. "That's why we were successful and I think that's why they continue to be successful. The kids are taught how to do things correctly early on and all the other stuff, the recognition, the notoriety, the wins, is just a byproduct."

Much luck and happiness to Matt with his new career! We are so fortunate to have had guys like him in the program.

rennis
10-24-2007, 09:35 AM
Much luck and happiness to Matt with his new career! We are so fortunate to have had guys like him in the program.

Agreed. Good luck Matt, and we're all grateful for your contributions.

BTW, does anyone know if he's working out with the team now that he's in Spokane? That would be really good for Pargo, in a lot of ways... ;)