PDA

View Full Version : OT: "Few" 32

GoZags
08-26-2017, 08:26 AM
It wasn't all that long ago that some Boardmembers (including a couple of prominent Boardmembers) were mocking GU's post season play with the term "Few 32".

It's interesting that a grand total of 15 schools have current "Round of 32" streaks of 2 or more. Gonzaga's current streak of 9 continues to rank 2nd (to Kansas).

Attached is the current list for the Round of 32 ....
http://mcubed.net/ncaab/strkr32c.shtml

And it's interesting to note that Gonzaga trails only Wisconsin in the consecutive Sweet 16 list ...
http://mcubed.net/ncaab/strkr16c.shtml

Not bad .... not bad at all (at least in my opinion).

Zagcity
08-26-2017, 08:34 AM
It wasn't all that long ago that some Boardmembers (including a couple of prominent Boardmembers) were mocking GU's post season play with the term "Few 32".

It's interesting that a grand total of 15 schools have current "Round of 32" streaks of 2 or more. Gonzaga's current streak of 9 continues to rank 2nd (to Kansas).

And it's interesting to note that Gonzaga trails only Wisconsin in the consecutive Sweet 16 list ...

Nope you are right, shouldn't be bad in anybody's opinion :agreed:

kitzbuel
08-26-2017, 08:56 AM
If NCAA Tournament success is the standard used to measure a program's success, GU is one of the most successful in the nation.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

willandi
08-26-2017, 09:28 AM
http://www.spokanehistorical.org/items/show/669

Back at you from your Yuengling brewery.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8122/8705446010_c8dd7fb7e4_b.jpg

My great grandfathers brother. My great grandfather moved west to grow the wheat and barley.

jazzdelmar
08-26-2017, 10:15 AM
As far as this "prominent" board member is concerned, the "Few32" moniker is dead and buried.......with extreme prejudice.

Reborn
08-26-2017, 10:26 AM

One thing I'll always remember about the NCAA Tournament last year, and how our boys, The Zags, made it to the Final Four and then the Championship game, was how so many analysts on CBS were so happy for Gonzaga and especially for Mark Few. It was just awesome to see and hear, Mark Few is so loved and appreciated in the NCAA basketball community, and honestly people never gave up on him. They knew his day would come and it did. The Zags have broken through that barrier and now that that has happened there will be more. I am so happy for Mark Few and Gonzaga and for all who have helped build a spectacular program. And that includes the fans. What good would it all be without the fans, and Gonzaga knows that and never fails to thank their fans.

gonzagafan62
08-26-2017, 11:15 AM
I've always kept a few prestigious streaks near and dear to my heart

Conference championship streak that ended in 2012
NCAA tournament streak that is still current
Winning one game still current

I feel the same way you do. Just getting in is tough enough especially through many many many years of this streak being a 7 or lower seed.

My favorite games to watch are still West Virginia (2012) St John's (2011), Seton Hall (2016) and watching highlights of Florida State (2010)

We fought so hard just to get in and having those years capped with at least one tourney win really solidified a great journey. Beating Utah was icing on the cake for me.

I love watching all sports like crazy. Besides my family and friends sports is it. Nothing comes close to my passion for watching Gonzaga basketball.

It's funny now walking into my dads basement (who's a Oklahoma "fan" ...) and turning left and you can see a Gonzaga Final four plaque hung in his tool room. That's pretty sweet. Just makes it so much more special.

Go damn zags!

sittingon50
08-26-2017, 03:12 PM
Like that list, GZ

wiszag
08-26-2017, 04:07 PM
I really like the list because I went to the top 2 schools.

MickMick
08-26-2017, 09:24 PM
I have always, always taken the following position.

"I would not swap Mark Few for any coach in the land."

Never once have I deviated from that belief.

Regardless of conference affiliation, if winning 80% of your games for your entire career is easy, then why is NOBODY else doing it?

Answer:

Because it isn't easy.

BobZag
08-27-2017, 10:53 AM

-BobZag four to five years ago.

MDABE80
08-27-2017, 01:42 PM
And since then we expect nothing less than a Swt 16. Funny how that works.

willandi
08-27-2017, 02:22 PM
Few 2!

gonzagafan62
08-27-2017, 04:07 PM
And since then we expect nothing less than a Swt 16. Funny how that works.

It's like Few says "this thing is a crapshoot"

Many here after our fifth straight "Few32" were denying that.

DixieZag
08-27-2017, 07:20 PM
I have not always been "kind" to Few (I believe that I said he was having a "bad year" 3-5 years ago, at the time I believed myself to be right, but that matters less than the fact that I felt it was not necessarily a huge putdown to be the guy who wins "one game" every year, or so it seemed.

Obviously, it's awesome the whole final four experience, etc. E8, all that. But, I would almost rather not go to the tournament than be out of the tournament by Thursday before dinner.

To me, the "best" part of the tournament as a national spectacle is the first four days. To always be involved in those first four days was special to me.

willandi
08-27-2017, 07:22 PM
I have not always been "kind" to Few (I believe that I said he was having a "bad year" 3-5 years ago, at the time I believed myself to be right, but that matters less than the fact that I felt it was not necessarily a huge putdown to be the guy who wins "one game" every year, or so it seemed.

Obviously, it's awesome the whole final four experience, etc. E8, all that. But, I would almost rather not go to the tournament than be out of the tournament by Thursday before dinner.

To me, the "best" part of the tournament as a national spectacle is the first four days. To always be involved in those first four days was special to me.

Hopefully, that will continue!

bartruff1
08-27-2017, 09:01 PM
That was the cheapest of the cheap shots I have read in here and I lost all respect for those that used it...

CDC84
08-28-2017, 03:21 PM
Here's a little analysis of the Few 32:

2013/14 = Undermanned Few team loses to #1 seed Arizona. What did people expect??
2012/13 = Yes, GU should've beaten WSU, but they lost to a team than went to the F-4 and went unbeaten until the NCAA tourney the following year. The plain truth: if Gary Bell does not get hurt, GU wins.
2011/12 = Narrow loss to a #2 seed Ohio State in Pittsburgh. GU wasn't as good as OSU.
2010/11 = Jimmered to death by #3 seed BYU in Denver. GU just wasn't as good as BYU.
2009/10 = Lost to #1 Syracuse in their backyard. Any real surprise?
2007/08 = Two words. Steph Curry. He led his team to the elite 8 and almost beat a GREAT Kansas team. Game was played in Davidson's backyard.
2004/05 = Texas Tech. Still the most painful loss of all for me. This was a game that GU blew that they had no business losing.
2003/04 = On paper, GU had no business losing to Nevada, but GU, despite their gaudy record, was playing lousy entering the dance and had a massive winning streak entering the tourney. They were due to lose. I hated Morrison coming off the bench, and by the time he did, Ronny was done with fouls and the game was over. Despite being a #2 seed, this team only had one top 50 RPI win all year. Perhaps the most overrated GU team ever??
2002/03 = Zags almost beat the best team in the nation, #1 Arizona, in one of the greatest college basketball games ever played.

What strikes me about these games are the amount of unusual things that happened. Did anyone really expect one of the worst three point shooting teams in the field, Wichita State, to connect on 14 threes? I knew Steph Curry was good, but the greatest shooter since.....when?

The only two games that I really feel embarrassed about are the Nevada and Texas Tech losses. I can live with the rest. And really, what embarrassed me the most about the Nevada loss was that GU was torched in Seattle.

GrizZAG
08-28-2017, 06:57 PM
Klay Thompson in 12-13, right? The guy is showing what we were up against now in NBA. The Nevada game was just inexplicable and Davidson was painful as well.
Shockers had a hot night and that is what March Madness is all about.

Once and Future Zag
08-28-2017, 07:23 PM
Klay Thompson in 12-13, right? The guy is showing what we were up against now in NBA. The Nevada game was just inexplicable and Davidson was painful as well.
Shockers had a hot night and that is what March Madness is all about.

12/13 - Wichita State, not WazZu

jazzdelmar
08-28-2017, 07:35 PM
-BobZag four to five years ago.

"I am Spartacus!"

seacatfan
08-29-2017, 11:13 PM
CDC, I think the Nevada loss was the worst for me. Seeing it live did not make it better. Zags got thumped. I think Ronny had 2 fouls before tip off, or at least it seemed like it. Probably picked up another foul during halftime. Stepp picked a bad time for perhaps the worst game of his career. Losing to Texas Tech was irksome but doesn't compare.

kclubfounder
08-30-2017, 08:06 AM
We are upset about a couple losses from 12 and 13 years ago in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament. It may be time to let the pain from those two losses subside.

thespywhozaggedme
08-30-2017, 08:25 AM
Let's change it to Few Final 2.

CDC84
08-30-2017, 09:01 AM
We are upset about a couple losses from 12 and 13 years ago in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament. It may be time to let the pain from those two losses subside.

I can tell you this....the coaching staff doesn't forget those losses. Coaches, by nature, remember the defeats (and the embarrassing ones) far more than any wins. You feel bad for the kids who experienced those things. There is probably a part of Few that would trade the national title game appearance last year in order to allow those old GU teams to beat Nevada and Texas Tech. Especially the latter....they had a perfect region to get to the final four. Except they ran into Bob Knight.

B Wayne
08-30-2017, 04:45 PM
Kudos to super moderator Go Zags for starting one of the best threads ever. The thread works at so many levels.

1) The term Few 32 started with or was connected to a joke published on this board that went something like this: : Did you hear Mark Few is opening a new bar called Few 32? Yeah, you have to leave after one round.

I thought the joke was extremely clever, but didn't like what it insinuated. I was tired of inaccurate comments of some here on our board and on internet articles across the country saying the Zags underperformed in the NCAA tournament. I disagreed with the comments on this board that Few was not a good game manager or tournament coach.

2. I actually told this joke to many of my zag hating friends in years past , as a springboard to argue why it was untrue and inaccurate. I also liked to tell the joke because I thought at the end of future seasons I could bring the number down to Few 16 and Few 8 etc. What great pleasure this year when I sent out Few 2 to the zag haters this year. Shut them right up.

3. The 32 streak and 16 streak that Go Zag provided us is an amazing stat, and now with Few 32 behind us, we don't have to hear the BS response "Yeah they don't do well in the NCAA".