PDA

View Full Version : CBS 25 and 1 (and a twist)

MDABE80
08-18-2017, 02:27 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/the-biggest-question-for-each-team-in-our-top-25-and-1-college-basketball-rankings/

I think were better than 17 but, as always, we'll have to prove it.
team logo

Bulldogs

Can Gonzaga's point guard play measure up to the rest of this talented group?

The Zags lose a lot from last season's national runner-up squad, but no loss is bigger than do-it-all junior point guard Nigel Williams-Goss (drafted by Utah in the second round of June's NBA Draft). Gonzaga's frontcourt is intimidating. Killian Tillie, Rui Hachimura and Johnathan Williams are dazzling up front and all may be taken in the 2018 draft. Had Williams-Goss stayed, I'd be putting this team in my preseason Final Four. How will they fare with Josh Perkins, a capable but not quite spectacular player?

jazzdelmar
08-18-2017, 04:26 AM
A coda.....

Will Gonzaga falter and give Saint Mary's an opening in the WCC?

22. Saint Mary's again will be really, really good. Last season, they were one of the most efficient (and, yes, plodding) teams in the nation, with an effective field goal percentage that ranked behind only UCLA's juggernaut. They return all but two rotation players. Underrated point guard Emmett Naar and Australian big man Jock Landale provide a backbone for a team that ought to challenge Gonzaga at the top of the conference. Gonzaga has won the conference every season since 2012. But Gonzaga's point guard questions could leave an opening for St. Mary's.

TexasZagFan
08-18-2017, 05:05 AM
ESPN has us at 19, SMC at 22.

gonzagafan62
08-18-2017, 06:08 AM
I do not think josh will let us down.....

Here's why:

First go back to 2016, and right now go watch Gonzagas press conference postgame vs Utah. Eric McClellan commented on him and Josh not being coachable until a few weeks ago. Even Mark Few laughed about it.

Back to 2018. Not only do we not have a problem we have two capable players. Josh's defense right now from what I saw last year gives him an edge over Wade whom I have not seen in a GU uniform. Wade is a tremendous scorer yet hasn't played in 2 years. I think Wade will be just fine however and regain his beautiful stroke if he hasn't already. Both guys will be extremely capabale of playing well.

I would not be surprised if with 6 minutes to go in games we have Wade in the game over Perkins similar to what we saw with Collins over Big Shem.... but don't be fooled. Perkins and Melson WILL START. Just like JW3. Age does matter to Few and we have seen that time and time again, but when it comes down to it with the game on the line he's started to let it fly with the best players .... and I think that has been a plus for Few and a huge adjustment. But it's working. The older players start, the best players per situation finish....

Everyone wants to build up drama for SMC. They've won ONE outright title in the last 20 years. If it wasn't that span between what 2010-2013 SMC wouldn't have much of anything lol. I'm not buying them because I think we are just better. I will buy them as a legit team however. They can play. They will be in the tournament and they will play good basketball... just not enough to get past GU

maynard g krebs
08-18-2017, 11:01 AM
We saw Naar struggle badly v VCU's pressure when Rahon went out. I think it's a common thought that Naar regressed a bit as a soph. Jordan Ford is gonna have to be the guy who handles the ball v pressure D, and he didn't get a chance to show much last yr.

SMC is gonna miss Rahon a lot. Randy is such a good coach he'll probably figure it out. But if someone is gonna say GU has a question mark at the point (I disagree strongly) that's probably more true for SMC.

On the Gael board I saw that Blue Ribbon has Landale as a first team AA. That's the big issue v SMC imo; can any of GU's bigs contain him well enough to not have to double and leave the shooters open.

gonzagafan62
08-18-2017, 11:30 AM
We saw Naar struggle badly v VCU's pressure when Rahon went out. I think it's a common thought that Naar regressed a bit as a soph. Jordan Ford is gonna have to be the guy who handles the ball v pressure D, and he didn't get a chance to show much last yr.

SMC is gonna miss Rahon a lot. Randy is such a good coach he'll probably figure it out. But if someone is gonna say GU has a question mark at the point (I disagree strongly) that's probably more true for SMC.

On the Gael board I saw that Blue Ribbon has Landale as a first team AA. That's the big issue v SMC imo; can any of GU's bigs contain him well enough to not have to double and leave the shooters open.

Agreed!

MDABE80
08-18-2017, 11:49 AM
I was surprised to see that comment. Nearly all of our kids develop over time to the point where we miss them quite a bit when they depart. AAll Josh needs to do is settle down and be sure handed. By now, he shoul dknow how Few wants the team managed. I'd prefer Josh have a spectacular season. Those lapses he has usually go away with maturity. He's got some great skills to yet be developed. He's got 2 years to do that. Lots of support around him.

Reborn
08-18-2017, 03:05 PM
I was surprised to see that comment. Nearly all of our kids develop over time to the point where we miss them quite a bit when they depart. AAll Josh needs to do is settle down and be sure handed. By now, he shoul dknow how Few wants the team managed. I'd prefer Josh have a spectacular season. Those lapses he has usually go away with maturity. He's got some great skills to yet be developed. He's got 2 years to do that. Lots of support around him.

ditto

I like our ranking of 17. It seems just about right to me. The writer says nice things about our post players who are returning.