• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kitzbuel
    • Feb 2007

Pre-season seeding picks: basketballforum.com

He has GU as an 8 seed:

I'm pretty satisfied with Gonzaga as an 8 seed. They were an alright team last year, but they lost two starters, including their best player in Raivio. In fact, St. Mary's nearly beat out Gonzaga in the WCC coaches preseason poll.

Does not appear the creator is particularly familiar with the new players this year.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time
  • Akzag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

... really going out on a limb there, isn't he ...?

note: The West-Side Huskies are also an 8-seed. That's about all you need to know.
    Last edited by Akzag; 10-22-2007, 06:00 PM. Reason: ;P
    So many brackets, so little time.

Comment

• MBZags
      Professional Zag Fan
      • Feb 2007

Wow, what a joke. Seriously, putting all bias aside, that's just ridiculous.

Comment

• HOOTER
        Zag for Life
        • Oct 2007

In other words, this basketball genius is giving the Zag's a pre-season ranking in the upper 20's to lower 30's. At least he got one thing right, the Zag's will get the auto bid.

Comment

• ZagManFan
          Professional Zag Fan
          • Feb 2007

Looks like someone came to the rescue of the Zags!

Comment

• gonzagulous
            Kennel Club Material
            • Feb 2007

He's also got UConn as a 5 seed...... Yeah. Interesting.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
              • Feb 2007

Kansas State a four seed and then he has the nerve to say that some may have them as a #1??? Wow. Just Wow.
              "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• Butler Guy
                Kennel Club
                • Apr 2007

I think you all are being pretty unfair

Have you actually ever tried to compile one of these things? It's very difficult. I think he does a fine job, for the most part. I encourage you to try and tackle this endeavor if you think it's overly easy, there is a reason an entire panel of people is needed here in Indianapolis every March to seed the Tournament.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Butler Guy View Post
                  Have you actually ever tried to compile one of these things? It's very difficult. I think he does a fine job, for the most part. I encourage you to try and tackle this endeavor if you think it's overly easy, there is a reason an entire panel of people is needed here in Indianapolis every March to seed the Tournament.
                  No doubt about it being difficult. But where GU is seeded and his comments about both GU and Kansas State totally invalidates his hard work.
                  "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• kitzbuel
                    • Feb 2007

It is hard work, but the purpose of posting something like that on a board like that is to invite comments and criticism. If he keeps working on it, he will probably have something decent, probably by April; that's when most the experts finally get it right.
                    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• KSTATEZAG
                      Kennel Club Material
                      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
                      It is hard work, but the purpose of posting something like that on a board like that is to invite comments and criticism. If he keeps working on it, he will probably have something decent, probably by April; that's when most the experts finally get it right.
                      I think k-state is a number one...NIT.
                      I'm as big a fan as there is for the Wildcats but I don't think they have enough team talent to survive in the Big 12.

Now his screw up with the Zags is just ridiculous. I mean an 8?

Comment

• coolpohle
                        Redshirt
                        • Oct 2007

Sorry guys, I can't fully study all 335 D-1 Teams. It's just too time consuming. My bracketology rankings are based off what I think other people view of these teams, they're not my personal rankings.

As far as Gonzaga goes, well, Rivals.com ranked them 32nd in their preseason rankings. Maybe all you Gonzaga fans are loving them, but that doesn't mean everyone else thinks the same. Generally speaking, a team that's a 10 seeded team the prior year who loses their best player isn't going to start out the year as a 4 seed, plain and simple. I guess I don't know that they have a lot of new players because well, Scout.com doesn't have the Zags in their top 35 team rankings for this year's freshman class.

As far as Washington being an 8 seed, well, going back to rivals.com, they've got Washington ranked ahead of Gonzaga. So apparently, they know nothing, too? Here's a little quote from my blog about Washington: Despite losing Spencer Hawes to the NBA, this is a team that still returns four starters. Everyone knows how good of a shooter Ryan Appleby is, and the highly recruited Quincy Pondexter played pretty well as a freshman. They aren't on anyone's radar despite winning 19 games last year, including a win over UCLA to conclude the regular season. If they can improve that defense a bit, they should be a surprise team.

I don't think Kansas St. is 4 seed worthy, but they seem to be getting a lot of hype over Beasley and Walker, plus they won double digit games in the Big 12 last year. They're going to get some love.

Pick on my age all ya want, but I probably study college bball more than 95% of the people that follow the sport.

Comment

• CDC84
                          Super Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Rivals

As far as Washington being an 8 seed, well, going back to rivals.com, they've got Washington ranked ahead of Gonzaga. So apparently, they know nothing, too?
                          Rivals has almost zero credibility after ranking UW ahead of Gonzaga. Most publications don't even have the Huskies being close to the top 25. If you take the top 12 players on each squad, most coaches would pick at least 8-9 of the Zags if they were starting a new team. The talent comparison ain't close this season. Plus, the Huskies are going to be lucky to make the NCAA's this year based on how good the Pac 10 is going to be.

As far as Gonzaga goes, well, Rivals.com ranked them 32nd in their preseason rankings. Maybe all you Gonzaga fans are loving them, but that doesn't mean everyone else thinks the same.
                          Rivals is one of the very, very few publications of any variety to not have the Zags in their preseason top 25. There are more folks that have the Zags in their preseason top 15 than there are folks who have Gonzaga outside of the top 25. Moreover, one of the last places on earth that I would go to for a preseason poll is a recruiting web site who has a vested interest in keeping their premium subscribers happy. Give me the Sporting News or the Blue Ribbon Yearbook, even though I will be the first one to admit that preseason polls are hardly an exact science.

Comment

• DZ
                            Zag for Life
                            • Sep 2007

Best Player

Who. . . . who has followed this program AT ALL believes we lost our best player last year? Not to be mean but I truly believe this year was more like addition by subtraction. I'll take the bigger boys more seriously, ESPN ranked them 14th in the country, sounds about right, for now.
                            Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                            Mark Twain.

Comment

• kitzbuel
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by coolpohle View Post
                              Sorry guys, I can't fully study all 335 D-1 Teams. It's just too time consuming.
                              I'd figure you would at least look at the top 15, though.
                              - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

Working...
                              X