PDA

View Full Version : AZ vs Duke for National Title??

MDABE80
08-15-2017, 10:42 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-rankings-duke-jumps-up-to-no-1-after-landing-marvin-bagley/

Zagceo
08-15-2017, 10:47 AM
just more pressure for Miller.......

bartruff1
08-15-2017, 11:03 AM
Makes sense....but it takes a lot of luck....

LongIslandZagFan
08-15-2017, 11:03 AM
Something he really has handled well in the past.

gonzagafan62
08-15-2017, 11:33 AM
Arizona will make the final four eventually. He just needs some luck.

The whole tournament is a crapshoot.

TheOtherGreatOne
08-15-2017, 01:44 PM
Duke had the greatest team in ncaa history last year before the season started according to espn, and we saw how that turned out.
Arizona has never been to a final four with Miller as coach.
You may believe the hype all you want, I my friends do not.

mgadfly
08-15-2017, 02:28 PM
Duke had the greatest team in ncaa history last year before the season started according to espn, and we saw how that turned out.
Arizona has never been to a final four with Miller as coach.
You may believe the hype all you want, I my friends do not.

That's the same logic about 50% of college basketball fans used to eliminate Gonzaga from the Final Four last year.

I think this Arizona team is going to be improved defensively (closer to how they were two or three years ago) and be a title contender. As long as they don't have to play Wisconsin in the Elite 8, I think they make a Final Four.

MDABE80
08-15-2017, 02:36 PM
We don't have the big names but we have the players. Just like last year and the year before. We'll be in this as far as E 8. Everyone's right though, takes some luck to get there.

gonzagafan62
08-15-2017, 04:58 PM
That's the same logic about 50% of college basketball fans used to eliminate Gonzaga from the Final Four last year.

I think this Arizona team is going to be improved defensively (closer to how they were two or three years ago) and be a title contender. As long as they don't have to play Wisconsin in the Elite 8, I think they make a Final Four.

Welp, you hit the nail on the head. I guess nobody ever gets it. Hardheaded and everything ..... it's always "this team can't do this because of this"..... blah blah blah. Wake up and learn people. Any team can do anything any given year.

seacatfan
08-15-2017, 06:04 PM
Miller has taken Arizona to the Elite 8 three times, and 2 of the games went down to the final possession. Including a game w/ a pair of potential game winning 3 pointers that rolled around the rim and then rattled out. You can't get much closer than that to making a Final 4 w/out making it. I think he'll get there one of these years. Frank Kaminsky is long gone, so at least they don't have to worry about running into him in the Tourney anymore.

seacatfan
08-15-2017, 06:06 PM
I really don't want to ever have to watch Arizona against Duke in a Championship Game again. The '01 matchup was one of the biggest jokes ever w/ the one sided officiating. Although Miller is 2-0 against K while at Arizona.

Goshzagit
08-15-2017, 08:31 PM
Arizona has an identity this year.

Even tho they lost some talent, they gained leadership and even a little baggage.

Should be much improved.

With Trier hitting the ground running, and Rawle, & AWESOME recruits, plus some terrific bigs. They are my favorite to win it.

Duke is Duke. Every year they can win the whole thing or lose in 1st Rd.

The thing with zona, or what holds them back, is their greatest strength. Coach Miller.

As good of a person, recruiter, game planner, & coach he is...his stubborn in game adjustments, or lack thereof have really hurt them in big games. He must grow in this areas as he is being out coaches in 2nd halves of games. He can and will.

Malastein
08-15-2017, 10:38 PM
Duke versus Gonzaga is more like it! Duke just picked up Marvin Bagley who is apparently in the same talent range as Anthony Davis.

MDABE80
08-15-2017, 11:39 PM

Even tho they lost some talent, they gained leadership and even a little baggage.

Should be much improved.

With Trier hitting the ground running, and Rawle, & AWESOME recruits, plus some terrific bigs. They are my favorite to win it.

The thing with zona, or what holds them back, is their greatest strength. Coach Miller.

As good of a person, recruiter, game planner, & coach he is...his stubborn in game adjustments, or lack thereof have really hurt them in big games. He must grow in this areas as he is being out coaches in 2nd halves of games. He can and will.

Sure but they've got Romar!!! lololol

raise the zag
08-16-2017, 07:12 AM
Duke versus Gonzaga is more like it! Duke just picked up Marvin Bagley who is apparently in the same talent range as Anthony Davis.

Wow. I missed that. Thought he was a year away and headed for the West Coast.

He's been the #1 overall recruit since he as a Freshman!

Huge for them. Can win games by himself.

Changes the scene for sure.

TheGonzagaFactor
08-16-2017, 07:23 AM
Arizona will make the final four eventually. He just needs some luck.

The whole tournament is a crapshoot.

He got lucky this year.

EASY 1st round game.

EASY 2nd round game.

EASY Sweet 16 game that they choked away...

But it'll be hard for him not to make it soon given the guys that he's convinced to commit to his program.

jazzdelmar
08-16-2017, 07:43 AM
He got lucky this year.

EASY 1st round game.

EASY 2nd round game.

But it'll be hard for him not to make it soon given the guys that he's convinced to commit to his program.

How quickly u forget. The Bennetts were up at the half and could have easily won......

"A big part of our game is shooting the ball from 3 and we didn't shoot it well enough," Saint Mary's coach Randy Bennett said.

They shot 24% from three.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=400947049

gonzagafan62
08-16-2017, 08:58 AM
He got lucky this year.

EASY 1st round game.

EASY 2nd round game.

Easy second round game? SMC was a Top 15 Ken Pom team. Then go to Xavier yes theybshouldve won that one but you also get a lot of unlucky things happen in the tournament too. One example from Gonzagas point of view is Gary Bell breaking his foot against Wichita State. Imo choked is the most overused word in sports. How bout Xavier won that game and took it away from Arizona?

Xavier was a pretty dang good team actually. We just nailed a ton of threes in the first half, and ironically Xavier was still in it at half until we rained threes yet again in the second half. I think we were fortunate enough to have survived Wesr Virginia and their press so much that we felt so much more comfortable playing against Xavier like it felt like the handcuffs came off and we could shoot the ball with both hands not just one.....

Arizona was not a good three point shooting team from what I remember. You're not going to do well against a soft zone when they play percentages against the three. Remember Xavier played the percentages against us and we made them pay

zag67
08-16-2017, 09:56 AM
I hope we play Duke in the PK tournament. That will give us good film to analyze and a benchmark of where we are at the beginning of the year. Hopefully no blowout

TexasZagFan
08-16-2017, 11:35 AM
I hope we play Duke in the PK tournament. That will give us good film to analyze and a benchmark of where we are at the beginning of the year. Hopefully no blowout

Yeah, I'd hate to play Duke in March/April after we smoked them at PK80.

seacatfan
08-16-2017, 04:40 PM
Xavier looked pretty good when they were beating Florida St. by 30 or so. Also quite a few Gonzaga fans were very high on St. Mary's last year, don't know about that being an "easy" second round opponent.

seacatfan
08-16-2017, 04:46 PM
What snake oil is K selling? There have been a few exceptions, but bigs don't tend to develop very well there, yet he keeps reeling in top HS big men year after year. Are these kids really that dumb that they don't pay any attention? Just last year there were 3 highly touted Frosh (Giles, Bolden and DeLaurier) and 1 highly touted soph (Jeter) that collectively did NOTHING. Half those guys left, but Bolden and DeLaurier are back...and now got recruited over w/ this year's star studded Fr. bigs Bagley and Carter. He's won more Championships than anybody else currently coaching, but he's always wasted a ton of talent during his days in Durham.

jazzdelmar
08-16-2017, 04:59 PM
What snake oil is K selling? There have been a few exceptions, but bigs don't tend to develop very well there, yet he keeps reeling in top HS big men year after year. Are these kids really that dumb that they don't pay any attention? Just last year there were 3 highly touted Frosh (Giles, Bolden and DeLaurier) and 1 highly touted soph (Jeter) that collectively did NOTHING. Half those guys left, but Bolden and DeLaurier are back...and now got recruited over w/ this year's star studded Fr. bigs Bagley and Carter. He's won more Championships than anybody else currently coaching, but he's always wasted a ton of talent during his days in Durham.

That poor yield extends to guards and wings as well. He chases some, buries some, but the hosannas keep coming. Don't expect a 30 for 30 however on what Koach does with all that Mickey Dee talent. Makes Crookapari look like Brad Stevens.

bartruff1
08-16-2017, 05:47 PM
Any game against Duke..... anywhere..... is epic....A number !, top of the heap...start spreading the news....

maynard g krebs
08-16-2017, 06:32 PM
What snake oil is K selling?

I hear the LaCrosse team throws a good party.

jazzdelmar
08-16-2017, 06:47 PM
Any game against Duke..... anywhere..... is epic....A number !, top of the heap...start spreading the news....

Except in the big apple or a cavernous football stadium.

jpn17
08-16-2017, 11:35 PM

Should be much improved.

Agreed big time. Saw it front and center down the stretch last year against Xavier in the S16. He'll probably improve as he continues to coach, much like Few has gotten a ton better at in game adjustments and management.

None of this is to say that Miller is a bad coach because he's not. But if the teams are equal, I'll take a Roy Williams or Mark Few on the sideline over Sean Miller.

gonzagafan62
08-17-2017, 06:07 AM
Agreed big time. Saw it front and center down the stretch last year against Xavier in the S16. He'll probably improve as he continues to coach, much like Few has gotten a ton better at in game adjustments and management.

None of this is to say that Miller is a bad coach because he's not. But if the teams are equal, I'll take a Roy Williams or Mark Few on the sideline over Sean Miller.

Before this season some of y'all, maybe not you criticized Few for being a bad adjuster .... he certainly looked great this season but leaving Easy Mac on bench the year before still drives me crazy. This should be 3 back to back to back Elite Eights

seacatfan
08-17-2017, 08:18 PM

Doesn't Roy get criticized fairly heavily sometimes for his in game coaching? Not so much at Kansas, but definitely at Carolina. Despite his 3 Championships since he returned to Chapel Hill, there are plenty that don't think he's a very good coach. I don't agree w/ those criticisms, but I know I've definitely heard/seen them.

thespywhozaggedme
08-17-2017, 09:21 PM
The rich keep getting richer:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHYrwHXVwAAHAkP?format=jpg

MDABE80
08-17-2017, 09:43 PM
Good player. Wish he was with us.

thespywhozaggedme
08-18-2017, 07:28 AM
Good player. Wish he was with us.

He's the # 1 ranked player in the world for his age. Yeah, he's very good.