PDA

View Full Version : Spokane Visit

Bogozags
08-15-2017, 07:10 AM
Good Morning!

I don’t know if it is appropriate to announce this on our Board but…

Just wanted to share that the wife and I will be arriving in Spokane from Hilton Head, SC on August 22nd. This is our first trip to Spokane and for me decades (1963) so it will be all “new” to us.

I realize this is short notice but we would love to meet my fellow Board Members! We will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express for a few nights and have heard that “Jack & Dan’s” is a local hang out.

Please feel free to PM me or respond here to let me know when and where…living so far from the “center of the universe” has it’s shortcomings…

We look forward to hearing from you…

Cordially Yours… :-)

77Zag
08-15-2017, 07:42 AM
Enjoy your visit - you will be taken back at the "Renewed GU Campus" - very special for sure. Bonus, downtown has made a huge improvement as well.

Go Zags!!

gozagswoohoo
08-15-2017, 10:33 AM
LUCKYYYY!!!

Have fun!

Zagceo
08-15-2017, 10:36 AM
I suggest downloading "Gonzaga Experience Panoview App" (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gonzaga-experience-panoview/id967836776?mt=8) from app store ...... phone or better yet iPad.... get to know the campus before you arrive.

Grab a beer and a burger at The Bulldog (https://www.inlander.com/spokane/a-new-home/Content?oid=2546700) now on campus.

enjoy

Bogozags
08-16-2017, 05:08 AM
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond...we will definitely download and review that app...:)

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-16-2017, 11:26 AM
What I miss most about Spokane, besides friends there, is walking along the Spokane river from GU campus through downtown to the falls. That and maple bars from Donut Parade!

TexasZagFan
08-16-2017, 11:33 AM
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond...we will definitely download and review that app...:)

It's a bit difficult to get too, but Barrister Winery is a great place to visit.

Arbor Crest was the most scenic, but I can't vouch for the wine quality. They strictly enforce a 21 year minimum age policy, and my 6YO grandson was with us. Their loss, Big D was very well behaved at Barrister.

Bogozags
08-16-2017, 12:00 PM
What I miss most about Spokane, besides friends there, is walking along the Spokane river from GU campus through downtown to the falls. That and maple bars from Donut Parade!

The falls are imbedded into my memory as we see them before each and every game televised on ROOT Sports...so I see we have the same love for maple bars too! I will have to stop by Donut Parade when the wife isn't looking and taste one or two of their delights!

Flex, THANKS for the head's up!

TZF - It's a bit difficult to get too, but Barrister Winery is a great place to visit.

Arbor Crest was the most scenic, but I can't vouch for the wine quality. They strictly enforce a 21 year minimum age policy, and my 6YO grandson was with us. Their loss, Big D was very well behaved at Barrister.

We will check these out...I have a feeling they won't "card" us when we visit Barrister Winery...lol

sonuvazag
08-16-2017, 12:07 PM
Donut Parade, as I understand it, is closed.

Bogozags
08-16-2017, 01:01 PM
Donut Parade, as I understand it, is closed.

Wow, that's a bummer...I could taste those maple bars from here

Section 116
08-16-2017, 04:58 PM
Donut Parade, is indeed closed. A victim of declining business frankly. However, I and some friends on this board made several visits to a wonderful new eatery in the Gonzaga district, just down the street from Jack and Dan's. If you find yourself wandering around the GU district, enjoying all the sites that will be new to you, I suggest Clark's Fork to fill your pastry desire. Or if you are in the mood for a more substantial repast see here: http://www.clarksfork.com/menu

amaronizag
08-16-2017, 10:47 PM
Clover across the street from Jack & Dan's isn't too shabby either.
Welcome to Spokane Bogo. Sorry I'll be on vacation while your in town or I would have dropped by Jack & Dan's to buy you a pint.
Enjoy your vacation.
Amaroni

RenoZag
08-17-2017, 06:12 AM
Planning a visit to the the campus bookstore & the Bulldog the afternoon of 8/25. Playing golf at Circling Raven Saturday, Twin Lakes Village Sunday. Spokane trips are always a great charge for my mental health batteries. Once I hang 'em up in June 2020, I may opt to relocate there.

Have a great trip, Bogo

ZagDad84
08-17-2017, 10:17 AM
It's a bit difficult to get too, but Barrister Winery is a great place to visit.

Barrister has some excellent reds. I personally am not a fan of Arbor Crest wines, but if you make it out to the valley, stop for the view and scenery. If you are into wine tasting, Townsend Cellars in Greenbluff and Latah Creek in the Spokane Valley offer good selections in white, red and sweet, something for everyone. If you are into craft breweries, let us know what you like and we can point you toward some excellent selections.

We have a lot of local (not chain) restaurants here in Spokane. I have not been to Clover but it is on the expensive side of things. I have been to Sante (downtown) which is comparable in price and is very good. Kendall Yards (just west of downtown) has quite a few trendy and good restaurants.

Let us know what you would like to do and we will try to fill in the blanks.

ZagDad

TexasZagFan
08-17-2017, 10:53 AM
Barrister has some excellent reds. I personally am not a fan of Arbor Crest wines, but if you make it out to the valley, stop for the view and scenery. If you are into wine tasting, Townsend Cellars in Greenbluff and Latah Creek in the Spokane Valley offer good selections in white, red and sweet, something for everyone. If you are into craft breweries, let us know what you like and we can point you toward some excellent selections.

We have a lot of local (not chain) restaurants here in Spokane. I have not been to Clover but it is on the expensive side of things. I have been to Sante (downtown) which is comparable in price and is very good. Kendall Yards (just west of downtown) has quite a few trendy and good restaurants.
The
Let us know what you would like to do and we will try to fill in the blanks.

ZagDad

Thanks, ZagDad. My son is working on his friends to put together a team for the one of the team camps for next summer. Another dad has bought into the idea, and he enjoys craft brews and good wine...not that we don't have those here in the Lone Star state.

ZagDad84
08-17-2017, 11:58 AM
Thanks, ZagDad. My son is working on his friends to put together a team for the one of the team camps for next summer. Another dad has bought into the idea, and he enjoys craft brews and good wine...not that we don't have those here in the Lone Star state.

Anytime.

I have had several opportunists to sample the Texas cuisine. I have driven through quite a bit of the state of Texas on numerous trips. Amarillo to Dallas and the San Antonio to Corpus to Galveston to Houston and back to San Antonio loop with a side trip to the Hill Country. I also drove through El Paso on my way to Carlsbad Caverns.

I don't travel for business much anymore but my wife conducts workshops for over numerous weeks during the summer so I try to take some time and travel with her when possible. I always try to visit the local breweries, wineries and eat at the local restaurants when possible. It is hard to get the flavor of the area/town if you are drinking and eating at Red Robin or Olive Garden. Not that Red Robin or Olive Garden are bad restaurants, it is just that they are essentially the same in Texas or Spokane.

Hope to see you up here next year.

ZagDad

Bogozags
08-22-2017, 07:30 PM
Well we made it! We had our doubts with all the darn traffic in Seattle...

We plan on being at Jack & Dans Thursday at around 6pm and would love to meet you so we hope you will have time to stop by and visit and maybe have a beverage too!

I'll be the one wearing the Red We're #1 T-shirt... :-)