PDA

View Full Version : GU mentioned favorably in ESPN article

sittingon50
08-10-2017, 12:38 PM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20153370/the-biggest-changes-better-worse-college-basketball-one-year

MDABE80
08-10-2017, 01:11 PM
Last year at this time, we couldn't know how strong Nigel would be, how Shem's back would hold up, how good Collins was and how Mathews would be so valuable. 4 unknowns who are now gone. Putting things in perspective, nobody here but a few thought that we'd be a FF team. 2 things: FEW and staff glued together our best team in terms of NCAA advancement. And who knew the defense would be so tenacious?. I'm still amazed we went the distance to the FF.

Even though the recruiting has been next to zero for recruiting valuable transfers, I still think the new faces will do an unexpectedly good job. Corey will surprise at ALL levels. Jesse will too. Watching him, he is a lot quicker than when we last visited his progress ---> bigger, stronger, faster with superior shooting and ball handling skills (90% from FT line).

I'm sold on RUI's athleticism. As good as anyone in the country. Will he show us why the NBA mock's show him as a top 25 kid? If he does, I do think we can get back to E8 or further. All this is predicated on those 3 kids showing up as mature players.

Norvelle will add much too but I don't know how much. He shoots the lights out. Larsen MUST be good.

If all these things come together and if we win Nike, we will zoom to the top 10. If we win Nike, I doubt we'll have more than 2 losses overall.

Zagger
08-11-2017, 04:46 AM
Last year at this time, we couldn't know how strong Nigel would be, how Shem's back would hold up, how good Collins was and how Mathews would be so valuable. 4 unknowns who are now gone. Putting things in perspective, nobody here but a few thought that we'd be a FF team. 2 things: FEW and staff glued together our best team in terms of NCAA advancement. And who knew the defense would be so tenacious?. I'm still amazed we went the distance to the FF.

Even though the recruiting has been next to zero for recruiting valuable transfers, I still think the new faces will do an unexpectedly good job. Corey will surprise at ALL levels. Jesse will too. Watching him, he is a lot quicker than when we last visited his progress ---> bigger, stronger, faster with superior shooting and ball handling skills (90% from FT line).

I'm sold on RUI's athleticism. As good as anyone in the country. Will he show us why the NBA mock's show him as a top 25 kid? If he does, I do think we can get back to E8 or further. All this is predicated on those 3 kids showing up as mature players.

Norvelle will add much too but I don't know how much. He shoots the lights out. Larsen MUST be good.

If all these things come together and if we win Nike, we will zoom to the top 10. If we win Nike, I doubt we'll have more than 2 losses overall.

Me likey :)

willandi
08-11-2017, 05:50 AM

To infinity and beyond!

raise the zag
08-11-2017, 06:17 AM

I love Abe's manic days.

(kidding)

good post.

DixieZag
08-11-2017, 06:29 AM

Good post.

Now we'll wait for jazz to come in and shred it, and both of you might be right in differing ways.

If we win the Nike, it's pretty much "on" from there.

jazzdelmar
08-11-2017, 06:45 AM
Good post.

Now we'll wait for jazz to come in and shred it, and both of you might be right in differing ways.

If we win the Nike, it's pretty much "on" from there.

The piece on ESPN is not on the upcoming season at all, it is about Few having offloaded that proverbial monkey that Coach Mack so adroitly reminded him of prior to the game. Classless, but I digress. The season has more ????s than an episode of Jeopardy ..... or any cable news show. One can make the case the newcomers have fewer question marks than the returnees, but as a whole it's a bunch of puzzle pieces waiting to be assembled.

gonzagafan62
08-11-2017, 07:13 AM
The piece on ESPN is not on the upcoming season at all, it is about Few having offloaded that proverbial monkey that Coach Mack so adroitly reminded him of prior to the game. Classless, but I digress. The season has more ????s than an episode of Jeopardy ..... or any cable news show. One can make the case the newcomers have fewer question marks than the returnees, but as a whole it's a bunch of puzzle pieces waiting to be assembled.

Bingo. Well said jazz.

I'd love to think the question marks aren't question marks but the truth is we don't know a whole lot about how this particular team will mesh, and play on the court.

I have a feeling it'll be a well oiled machine by the end of the season but preferably I'd like to see it get off to a nice start at Nike and I'm not so sure we'll get to see that.

Our frontcourt is pretty solid with Tillie and JW3, but after that, how good is Larsen....is Rui being forced into the 4, and if so how many minutes. I don't see a 2 PG system I see Perkins. How many minutes will he log this season? How long does it take Wade to progress? Melson is a great defender, how good is this defensive team?

The three spot? Lot of people say kispert. How good is he going to be as a freshman?

Geez we could go on. Like I said this team will be at least solid, but I'm not expecting a lot right now, just bc nobody has a clue how they'll do as a cohesive unit yet.

zaguarxj
08-11-2017, 08:08 AM

So true, and that's one of the things that makes college basketball so much fun -- we get to watch the drama play out, see if our favorites shine or fall. Sometimes we even get surprised, like with Tillie last year. I can't wait to see how the team answers all those questions.

MDABE80
08-11-2017, 09:38 AM
Thoughtful post Jazz.

TexasZagFan
08-11-2017, 11:46 AM
Y'all are keeping me sane down here in Texas. It is completely sports talk hell, now that the Cowboys are at training camp. The gnashing of teeth has already commenced over Zeke's suspension.

We'll see tomorrow if hoops camp helped out my son's game. He's in a 3x3 tournament in Grapevine. I know he's improved, though. In a recent pickup game with his older brother, he broke his brother's ankles...lol.

ZagNative
08-11-2017, 12:09 PM
I came across this Mark Titus piece in The Ringer (https://www.theringer.com/2017/8/11/16127464/top-offseason-storylines-grayson-allen-marvin-bagley) and thoroughly enjoyed it, even though the Zags got just a very brief mention: "Counting Down the 10 Biggest Stories of the College Basketball Offseason". Titus is just a really good writer and the entire piece was entertaining for me to read.

Radbooks
08-11-2017, 01:23 PM
Yeah, I thought it was pretty good too, ZN

sittingon50
08-11-2017, 01:26 PM
Thanks Native.

Enjoy his style.

RenoZag
08-11-2017, 01:45 PM
Never trust a Dukie. . .

"Jay Bilas reneged on his promise to grow a Przemek Karnowski beard."

sittingon50
08-11-2017, 01:48 PM
Never trust a Dukie. . .

"Jay Bilas reneged on his promise to grow a Przemek Karnowski beard."

Yeah, disappointingly weak from Bilas.

maynard g krebs
08-11-2017, 01:56 PM
I came across this Mark Titus piece in The Ringer (https://www.theringer.com/2017/8/11/16127464/top-offseason-storylines-grayson-allen-marvin-bagley) and thoroughly enjoyed it, even though the Zags got just a very brief mention: "Counting Down the 10 Biggest Stories of the College Basketball Offseason". Titus is just a really good writer and the entire piece was entertaining for me to read.

Thanks ZN. That's some brilliant writing.