PDA

View Full Version : Next Banner?

NotoriousZ
08-07-2017, 07:40 PM
Anyone know what the 2017 banner is going to say? I'm guessing the line at the bottom will say "National Runner Up" but that doesn't sound as good as "Final Four" even though its technically one step better.

And when is the banner unveiled? Thanks in advance for any info.

gonzagafan62
08-07-2017, 07:49 PM
I'd rather see national runner up.

bartruff1
08-07-2017, 07:55 PM
I have no clue, but as I recall, back when SU got to the Championship Game....

They were always announced as the " Western Regional Champions ....." Champions as opposed to runner up ...

I don't care what the banner says, but no matter what it says, there will be some in here that will complain about it...

And about why players are leaving early when they could win the Championship !!! That we as fans are entitled to...:)

jazzdelmar
08-08-2017, 02:53 AM
"National Championship Finalist"

thebigsmoove
08-08-2017, 03:59 AM

or National championship runner up...either or is cool with me.

NotoriousZ
08-08-2017, 05:15 AM

That's a good one.

jazzdelmar
08-08-2017, 05:24 AM
That's a good one.

Agree ....has a sense of not having lost yet.

TheGonzagaFactor
08-08-2017, 06:11 AM
"2017 NCAA FINALIST" or "2017 NCAA TOURNAMENT FINALIST"

To me, anything with "Runner up" is not going to look good - even though it was indeed a good season.

Unveil it at Kraziness. We don't have anyone on the home schedule worthy of being in the building for such an event. If it HAS to be on a game day, unveil it vs. Creighton on December 1.

jazzdelmar
08-08-2017, 06:13 AM
"2017 NCAA FINALIST" or "2017 NCAA TOURNAMENT FINALIST"

To me, anything with "Runner up" is not going to look good - even though it was indeed a good season.

Unveil it at Kraziness. We don't have anyone on the home schedule worthy of being in the building for such an event. If it HAS to be on a game day, unveil it vs. Creighton on December 1.

OK, but a bit vague as to Finalist of what -- the West region? Agree on pejorative "Runner up." Prefer mine: NC Finalist. Colleges play it fast and loose with banners. I have seen stuff like "NCAA 20XX." That's it. Thank god GU does not have to this year.

gonzagafan62
08-08-2017, 06:51 AM

Good one Jazz! Love it

kitzbuel
08-08-2017, 08:15 AM
Shouldn't we get one that says West Region Champion and another for the National Championship Game?

RenoZag
08-08-2017, 08:59 AM
One school did it this way:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c8/New_UF_Banners.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c8/New_UF_Banners.jpg

TheGonzagaFactor
08-08-2017, 09:56 AM
OK, but a bit vague as to Finalist of what -- the West region? Agree on pejorative "Runner up." Prefer mine: NC Finalist. Colleges play it fast and loose with banners. I have seen stuff like "NCAA 20XX." That's it. Thank god GU does not have to this year.

To me it's not vague, it's right there in the title.

NCAA Finalist would mean you played in the NCAA Final

NCAA Tournament Finalist would mean you played in the final of the NCAA Tournament

Would be especially clear next to a Final Four banner.

The way I see it, in team sports a finalist means you were in the final game (championship). Either way it was a fun season, they could put gibberish on a banner with a F4 logo and I'd nod and smile.

jazzdelmar
08-09-2017, 06:55 PM
Final 2.

Zagineer
08-09-2017, 08:05 PM
Do we even have a choice? I would think that the NCAA has established the exact words that can be stated on a banner regarding the level of achievement in their tournament.

But, what do I know?.... Not much,..... when it comes to NCAA rules.

PS..... - If we do have a choice, I think Reno's post #12 above showing Florida's banners provides an excellent format and guideline. Not just for the banner of this past year's achievement, but for what is yet to come. :)

GO ZAGS!!!