PDA

View Full Version : Montana Zags

IowaSERE
08-07-2017, 10:41 AM
I have an opportunity to take a great job in the Kalispell area. I'll be moving from Kirkland. I'll be taking a slight paycut, but cost of living should be less so it won't be a huge difference.

I'm looking at either Whitefish or Bigfork for housing. Looks like Whitefish is more expensive, but has more options.

Anyone live in the Flathead Valley? Are there many Zags in the area?

Also, what about cable vs satellite. I get Comcast in Kirkland and have rarely missed a game. What's the best provider to get root sports or whatever package I need to get the zags games?

MTZag03
08-07-2017, 12:06 PM
Whitefish is very yuppie and out-of-stater like. Also expensive. It is nice though. It would be similar to Kirkland in a lot of ways. Bigfork has a different vibe and will be cheaper.

As far as Zags, we're around here. Everyone's pretty pro gonzaga. Thankfully you don't hear much about UW here.

As far as cable? Beats me. I don't have cable. Direct TV does give Roots. I watch games online or at someone's house since we don't pay for TV service.

willandi
08-07-2017, 12:09 PM
I did a show in whitefish in July, stayed in Kalispell. The cable there did have Root on it, at least at the restaurant/bar I ate at. The motel didn't, but just to save money I think.

MontanaCoyote
08-07-2017, 12:10 PM
[QUOTE=IowaSERE;1327457]I have an opportunity to take a great job in the Kalispell area. I'll be moving from Kirkland. I'll be taking a slight paycut, but cost of living should be less so it won't be a huge difference.

I'm looking at either Whitefish or Bigfork for housing. Looks like Whitefish is more expensive, but has more options.

Also, what about cable vs satellite. I get Comcast in Kirkland and have rarely missed a game. What's the best provider to get root sports or whatever package I need to get the zags games?[/QUOTE

MontanaCoyote moved from Bellevue to Bozeman almost 50 years ago now. Never looked back! Back then, Bellevue was easy street and Kirkland was where the working class lived. They whipped our fannies real good in every sport but track.

Welcome to Montana. Can't help on housing, but I think you'll find plenty of options. just see if you can get a feel for Big Fork and Whitefish. They are pretty different places in ways. Trust your gut.

I'm in Gallatin Gateway near Bozeman. Have Directv and get every Zag game on ROOT. There could be better options but I don't know what they are.

There are Zag fans in that area and I think they'll pick up on your post and try to lend a hand. Several do comment on this board.

No sales tax in MT but we do have a state income tax. It's reasonable, especially if you itemize. You will find it less expensive to live here and you'll sure get some real relief from Seattle metroplex traffic.

Whether Whitefish or Big Fork, there's always Kalispell if you need the "big city."

Hope all goes well and welcome to Big Sky Country.

IowaSERE
08-07-2017, 12:42 PM
[QUOTE=IowaSERE;1327457]I have an opportunity to take a great job in the Kalispell area. I'll be moving from Kirkland. I'll be taking a slight paycut, but cost of living should be less so it won't be a huge difference.

Also, what about cable vs satellite. I get Comcast in Kirkland and have rarely missed a game. What's the best provider to get root sports or whatever package I need to get the zags games?[/QUOTE

MontanaCoyote moved from Bellevue to Bozeman almost 50 years ago now. Never looked back! Back then, Bellevue was easy street and Kirkland was where the working class lived. They whipped our fannies real good in every sport but track.

Welcome to Montana. Can't help on housing, but I think you'll find plenty of options. just see if you can get a feel for Big Fork and Whitefish. They are pretty different places in ways. Trust your gut.

I'm in Gallatin Gateway near Bozeman. Have Directv and get every Zag game on ROOT. There could be better options but I don't know what they are.

There are Zag fans in that area and I think they'll pick up on your post and try to lend a hand. Several do comment on this board.

No sales tax in MT but we do have a state income tax. It's reasonable, especially if you itemize. You will find it less expensive to live here and you'll sure get some real relief from Seattle metroplex traffic.

Whether Whitefish or Big Fork, there's always Kalispell if you need the "big city."

Hope all goes well and welcome to Big Sky Country.

As an avid fly fisherman, I fell in love with Bozeman, it was my top MT choice when we started looking. However, I unexpectedly get an amazing offer to work in Kalispell and my boss is also big into fly fishing and we really get along so far.

john montana
08-07-2017, 12:58 PM
I grew up in Whitefish. Love that place, and miss it often. I don't miss the winters, but other than that...tough to beat Montana in general. Whitefish has the advantage of fantastic places to eat due to the tourist industry. It blows up in the summer and winter, but handles it fairly well. Bigfork is smaller, and a tougher commute to Kalispell in my experience. I love MT.

john montana
08-07-2017, 01:00 PM
[QUOTE=MontanaCoyote;1327460]

As an avid fly fisherman, I fell in love with Bozeman, it was my top MT choice when we started looking. However, I unexpectedly get an amazing offer to work in Kalispell and my boss is also big into fly fishing and we really get along so far.

Fishing in whitefish/kalispell is pretty underrated. Plus, it isn't a huge drive to the reservation lakes or down toward missoula for Rock Creek etc. I used to fish various parts of the flathead after work on a regular basis. Fun fishing, even if the really big fish are harder to find. I live in Portland now, and miss the ease of trout fishing in MT. But, OR is much better for carp on the fly!

IowaSERE
08-07-2017, 01:45 PM
[QUOTE=IowaSERE;1327461]

Fishing in whitefish/kalispell is pretty underrated. Plus, it isn't a huge drive to the reservation lakes or down toward missoula for Rock Creek etc. I used to fish various parts of the flathead after work on a regular basis. Fun fishing, even if the really big fish are harder to find. I live in Portland now, and miss the ease of trout fishing in MT. But, OR is much better for carp on the fly!

Yea, everyone seems to downplay the fly fishing in flathead valley vs Bozeman or Missoula. I am going there Aug 23-27 to do some exploring. Looking forward to it. I spent a day there last month and had an amazing evening fishing the Thompson River.

Whitefish area might not have any blue ribbon streams, but its WAY better than anyting I've found in WA. Rocky Ford Creek might be the exception.

jazzdelmar
08-07-2017, 01:57 PM
Missoula has it all.

IowaSERE
08-07-2017, 02:08 PM
Missoula has it all.

Except for a job offer.

We looked at some properties up Lolo Creek and loved it. It's all on fire now!

JPtheBeasta
08-07-2017, 02:26 PM
I live in AZ and watched every game one way or another on DirecTV with the regional Root sports package (I think I missed an exhibition game that wasn't picked up, come to think of it). They might give you NFL season ticket for this fall if you get on it soon :)

bdmiller7
08-07-2017, 03:33 PM
I always liked the area north of Bigfork towards Columbia Falls at the base of the Swans. Check out the Kootenai too for fishing, you just might "accidently" hook a 15lb bull trout.

jazzdelmar
08-07-2017, 03:37 PM
In that part of the world, the coolest town I have ever been in was Orofino, Idaho.

seacatfan
08-07-2017, 04:01 PM
Wandering off topic, but I prefer Bozeman to Missoula. Can't really put my finger on it. Livingston is a neat little town near Bozeman.

Speaking of wandering, if you don't mind doing some walking in combination with your fishing, there are about a million lakes in the Beartooths, near Yellowstone and straddling the Montana/Wyoming border. Pretty country down there.

jazzdelmar
08-07-2017, 05:45 PM
Harlowton, MT.

jazzdelmar
08-07-2017, 05:47 PM
Dayton, WA

willandi
08-07-2017, 05:53 PM
[QUOTE=IowaSERE;1327461]

When I was at the show, someone was telling me how much the North Fork of the Flathead had improved. When I lived up north of Polebridge, it was pretty, and surprisingly, poor. A few smallish Cuts and maybe a brookie. Just second hand knowledge though, I would love to have time to try it.

kitzbuel
08-07-2017, 06:11 PM
[QUOTE=IowaSERE;1327461]

Rock Creek is burning now, too.

sullyzag66
08-07-2017, 07:02 PM
Dayton, WA

[emoji15]. Spent too many summers in the labor camp of the Jolly Green One there. Guess it's changed though. Labor camp was gone when I drove through in 1980.

FlatheadZag
08-07-2017, 07:25 PM
I've lived in Whitefish for nearly 30 years. There is a big fanbase of Zag fans here. We can watch almost every game on DirectTV. Welcome and look us up for a few games this winter.

ps- we're not yuppie at all...

john montana
08-07-2017, 08:32 PM
I've lived in Whitefish for nearly 30 years. There is a big fanbase of Zag fans here. We can watch almost every game on DirectTV. Welcome and look us up for a few games this winter.

My mom and my sister still live there. It is a great town. I may be back in September for a visit.

I love rock creek. Probably my all time favorite trout stream.

IowaSERE
08-07-2017, 08:40 PM

Sent you a PM

jbslicer
08-08-2017, 02:28 AM
Where's the love for Butte?

jazzdelmar
08-08-2017, 02:51 AM

A love that dares not speak its name?

thebigsmoove
08-08-2017, 04:59 AM
Also, what about cable vs satellite. I get Comcast in Kirkland and have rarely missed a game. What's the best provider to get root sports or whatever package I need to get the zags games?

I dont live in Montana, but DirecTV is a fantastic choice.

That being said, what kind of internet choices are available in Montana? Anyone know of the speed packages?

willandi
08-08-2017, 05:51 AM
I dont live in Montana, but DirecTV is a fantastic choice.

That being said, what kind of internet choices are available in Montana? Anyone know of the speed packages?

They are so backwards there, they still use horses for their cable TV!

bdmiller7
08-08-2017, 05:52 AM
We got us the dial-up interweb.

NontradZag
08-08-2017, 06:29 AM
Half of my family lives in Orofino, and I travel down there (mostly to fish the Clearwater). It can get ROWDY.

jazzdelmar
08-08-2017, 06:50 AM
Half of my family lives in Orofino, and I travel down there (mostly to fish the Clearwater). It can get ROWDY.

Was there just 2 days on X country bike ride. Pulled off that amazing road, crossed the bridge and camped on the nearby school grounds....never got inland very far. But that road is........it's a wall of trees.

thebigsmoove
08-08-2017, 08:05 AM
We got us the dial-up interweb.

I wasnt trying to insinuate that there wasnt high speed internet available. Only wondering how developed the network is. I have friends in bigger cities than Louisville that have half the speeds available, and i also know people in eastern kentucky where they only have satellite or old school DSL available. So its hit or miss in most places.

MontanaCoyote
08-08-2017, 08:08 AM

It's found in one place. Butte. But I'm a big Butte fan anyway. It may not be pretty, but it is real. Good and real.

bdmiller7
08-08-2017, 09:18 AM
I wasn't insulted, just making a funny. I live in NW Montana in tiny Troy, pop 900. Our local channels are Spokane and I have Directv so I think the only game I've missed in the last 10 years was due to a power outrage, but I do watch other games on the internet with no problem. I'm sure internet in the Flathead would be pretty good.

RRZagFan
08-08-2017, 09:34 AM
I also grew up and graduated from Whitefish, dad and sister still live there. I know a lot of of people that I grew up with have moved to Columbia Falls because of cheaper housing.

Norwester
08-08-2017, 09:35 AM

There's a reason the high school's mascot is the "Maniacs."

JPtheBeasta
08-08-2017, 10:00 AM
It's found in one place. Butte. But I'm a big Butte fan anyway. It may not be pretty, but it is real. Good and real.

I think Sir Mixalot wrote a song about that.

willandi
08-08-2017, 10:45 AM

There was a tornado that hit Butte a few years ago. It did 2 million dollars worth of civic improvement!

One of the prettiest sights in Montana...Butte in your rear view mirror!

sittingon50
08-08-2017, 10:51 AM
I think Sir Mixalot wrote a song about that.

:clap:

BoZarth
08-08-2017, 11:07 AM
Jealous. Grew up in Colorado and then Billings. Live over here in the Seattle area. I'd move to Whitefish in a heartbeat. Be sure, and I'm sure you will, to explore Glacier National Park. A magnificent place all should see.

Go Zags!!!!

jazzdelmar
08-08-2017, 11:46 AM
Jealous. Grew up in Colorado and then Billings. Live over here in the Seattle area. I'd move to Whitefish in a heartbeat. Be sure, and I'm sure you will, to explore Glacier National Park. A magnificent place all should see.

Go Zags!!!!

Indeed. One night at Lake McDonald Lodge is a lifetime memory........as is Going to the Sun road and lake tour.

http://www.glaciernationalparklodges.com/lodging/lake-mcdonald-lodge/

https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/goingtothesunroad.htm

MDABE80
08-08-2017, 01:55 PM

When the mines were open ( I hear they're open again) went to Lydia's every night after work. THOSE are great people! Played guitar at the Rumpus Room 2 Summers.

MontanaCoyote
08-08-2017, 02:37 PM
When the mines were open ( I hear they're open again) went to Lydia's every night after work. THOSE are great people! Played guitar at the Rumpus Room 2 Summers.

Visitor from Ireland was knockin' 'um down at The M&M. Announced to all present that he'd heard Butte drinkers were the baddest of them all. Said he'd pay whomever could down 12 Guiness' in a row without stopping $500 bucks. Lots of humming and hawing but no takers.

A while later a fellow presents himself to the visitor and says he can do it, just set 'um up. Goes right down the bar, one Guiness after another. Didn't stop, drank 'um all.

Man, the visitor said, that was some drinkin'! Here's your five hundred. You know, I noticed that after I made the offer
you left for a while. Where'd you go?

Oh, I just went down to Spud McGee's to see if I could do it first.

More Standard; Went to Butte yesterday and saw two Irishmen walk out of a bar!

GrizZAG
08-09-2017, 04:23 PM
This is my kind of thread! You can take the boy out of Montana but you can't take the Montana out of the boy!

First, the Flathead is much milder in climate during winter time than the ice box belt of Great Falls, Helena, Butte and Bozeman. It does get plenty of snow for sure but when it's 35 below in Bozeman it might be 5 below in Kalispell. Missoula, Hamilton, and all the Flathead are more similar to Spokane winters.

Butte is not the same town it was prior to Anaconda Copper Co. going away. Still crazy though. My high school in Missoula played Butte in Football yearly of course. Our guys came back looking like they were in a plane crash! Broken bones, limping and let me tell you those kids were darn tough back in the day. We used to have a joke: "They all wear a 44 shirt and a 4 hat"

St. Patricks Day is something to behold in Butte. By chance I was there on business unaware it was St. Paddy's day. I was alerted at 10:00 AM when four good drunks were coming right down the middle of Montana Avenue with huge mugs of green beer! One guy at the M&M got up on that sign above and peed on the crowd below. Not sure if he lived or not. Then a girl that lost the wet tee shirt contest threw a full beer bottle at the winner and hit her directly in the forehead knocking her out. That's when I thought...OOOKKK, that's it, I'm outa here. The town is a living antique end to end.

In general streams are not as productive in the Flathead because the water is so cold and clean there is not a good nutrient content to support aquatic insects as well as streams coming from areas with cattle and agriculture in the headwaters. Oh there's fish there, just less and generally smaller, but the Kootenai river is exceptional and at times the Northfork of the Flathead can be really good too but you have to know where to go. Southfork in the "Bob" is a once in a lifetime experience. Pack in to the confluence of Gordon Creek and float 50 miles through earth as it used to be down to Spotted Bear, but don't even think about floating through the Meadow Creek Gorge. I did and got my fanny kicked badly. It's deadly.

Montana is definitely Zag fan country for sure.

Best of luck, please be a good steward of the "Last Best Place"
Griz

MDABE80
08-09-2017, 04:46 PM
Haha. Love it up there!
Abe

ZionZag
08-09-2017, 05:49 PM

The love is right here.....in the 1890's Butte had about 100,000 people living there and about 10,000 were millionaires. Just think of that impact. With 10% of the people millionaires, that was a larger impact than Microsoft had on King County. Love my days in Butte. Always stayed at the Finlen (where the US Presidents stayed)....saw Spanky Spangler jump off the top of the hotel...what a night. A few years earlier I met Bob (Evel) Knievel and his lovely wife at the bar across the street from the "FIN". I thinks it was called the Acoma or the Anaconda.....anyway, what a special place. If ya want to visit, go on St Pat's Day....You'll never forget!

amaronizag
08-09-2017, 10:25 PM
Hey Griz, I used to hike into the Bob for the month of August every summer in the mid to late 70's. Bull trout averaged 8lbs and got up to 20lb. Could get 75-100 cutthroats a day on the south fork. Did all the tributaries. Loved that N fork of the White River also, China Wall, Sphinx, etc also Danaher. Lots of fish, critters, and beautiful scenery. Now I'm too old, but lots of fond memories. Sometimes I put in at Benchmark, sometimes at Holland Lake. Also some golden trout in the high lakes. Special place.

GrizZAG
08-10-2017, 01:11 AM
That's fantastic Amizon! Those places take great effort to get to. Impressive. I almost lived in the Missions as young buck. I fished about 75 mountain lakes in the Missions and the Bob between 1965-75. I'm sure the Cascades must have those jewels similarly. I've flown over a zillion times and see the rugged beauty.

The Flathead is an amazing jump off point to so much.

Zagger
08-10-2017, 05:56 AM

It's got a great hang gliding site :)

Kemo 1966
08-10-2017, 07:51 AM
Congratulations..... Whitefish would be the better commute; winter skiing at your back door; Avalanche Lake, short hike from camp ground near McDonald Lodge...my wife claims will be what "HEAVEN LOOKS LIKE" .......GNP...don't forget to see the portion, North of the Border; with "Al's invention...(-;;" one can see anything......I get the NFL package via Canada or England...if you are lonesome for the big city, go to Costco in Kalispell! In Whitefish, visit InvesTect Research, private wealth investment company. The best in the western world, if you can afford it, but the owner puts out a newsletter that even amateurs can benefit from (reasonable subscription price for the Financial information; their office is on Whitefish Lake, view worth the visit and hospitality is fantastic. Enjoy, sent from my mountain top South of the State Capital, Helena.

jazzdelmar
08-10-2017, 08:53 AM
Congratulations..... Whitefish would be the better commute; winter skiing at your back door; Avalanche Lake, short hike from camp ground near McDonald Lodge...my wife claims will be what "HEAVEN LOOKS LIKE" .......GNP...don't forget to see the portion, North of the Border; with "Al's invention...(-;;" one can see anything......I get the NFL package via Canada or England...if you are lonesome for the big city, go to Costco in Kalispell! In Whitefish, visit InvesTect Research, private wealth investment company. The best in the western world, if you can afford it, but the owner puts out a newsletter that even amateurs can benefit from (reasonable subscription price for the Financial information; their office is on Whitefish Lake, view worth the visit and hospitality is fantastic. Enjoy, sent from my mountain top South of the State Capital, Helena.

I got hypothermia one late June biking off McDonald Pass and into Helena....35 degrees, snow, 6 mile descent....took refuge at the Burger King....then to Townsend

IowaSERE
08-10-2017, 06:09 PM
How about Bigfork vs Whitefish? Found an amazing place on the swan River that we're strongly considering.

Zagcity
08-10-2017, 06:16 PM
How about Bigfork vs Whitefish? Found an amazing place on the swan River that we're strongly considering.

All good - can't go wrong with either. Go where your heart takes ya!

GrizZAG
08-10-2017, 08:24 PM
I'd take Bigfork especially if you can get a view of Flathead Lake. That turquoise clear water combined with the sheer magnificence of that lake are amazing. Not many lakes you can see the bottom 50 feet down like Flathead. Whitefish is a tad touristy for me, but you can see celebrities there if that's your thing. More golf options at Whitefish though.

caduceus
08-11-2017, 01:56 AM
I got hypothermia one late June biking off McDonald Pass and into Helena....35 degrees, snow, 6 mile descent....took refuge at the Burger King....then to Townsend

Reminds me of the time my dad and I rode our bikes from Butte over the Continental Divide to Whitehall on the old road to the Eagle's Nest. Decided to make the return trip over Homestake Pass and got hit with a summer hailstorm and had to shelter under an overpass. Got bruises on my back from nearly baseball sized hail.

My uncle had a beautiful loft cabin on Whitefish Lake for decades. He sold the place in the 80's for a measly 5 figure sum. Afterward, several movie stars moved into the adjacent properties and the property values went through the roof. Last I heard it sold for a hefty 7-figure sum.

I have great memories of camping at Lakeside, fishing the Big Hole, hiking the Beartooths, tubing down the Stillwater, and cliff jumping at Yellowtail. No question it's The Last Best Place.

Zagger
08-11-2017, 04:44 AM

You'd be closer to Big Mountain in Whitefish - if skiing a great place in winter is in the cards. Can't go wrong at either place though.

IowaSERE
08-11-2017, 12:08 PM
You'd be closer to Big Mountain in Whitefish - if skiing a great place in winter is in the cards. Can't go wrong at either place though.

Dont see myself skiing more that 3 or 4 times a year probably. Hoping to get into upland game birds and waterfowl eventually as well as elk and mule deer hunting.

Kemo 1966
08-11-2017, 01:52 PM

How far out of Big Fork? Will you have to commute in the winter??? Check temps in the area that hover between 30 and 33 degrees..... that NW area is noted for 'icy roads' at times...... if its below zero..... roads are hard, but not slippery. Seems to me, the Big Fork property you are talking about is probably on the Seely-Swan Highway... heading east-south-east .... basically a two lane hi-way.... which eventually you can reach Helena (not a straight shot) right now, some of that area is being evacuated ... dense smoke from fires up there. (Seely Lake and Swan Lake) both smaller than Flathead, but quite nice in their own right. Snow removal might be more efficient more towards towns (i.e Whitefish, Columbia Falls, Kalispell)....... The Big Fork area might require a 4 wheel drive in Winter. AS @jazzdelmar points out, we have extreme temperature changes through out the year...... This is the LAST BEST PLACE...but there is a reason we have more farm animals per sq acre than people. This past census, we finally reached 1 million residents plateau! Montana is the 4th largest state, behind Alaska, Texas, and California! Write or call any of the chamber of commerce offices and also contact the Secretary of States office. They have all kinds of info to send you (maps, etc) Most people will bend over backwards to try to help you. Most of the population is quite FRIENDLY! Good luck.

Note to @jazzdelmar.... that year was a few back... that particular Burger King was probably across from Safeway store below Capitol. That's gone, now two newer one's are up, and the one on Highway #12 (towards Townsend) is a couple miles east, and occupies the corner of the huge Wally's World parking lot.

kitzbuel
08-11-2017, 02:55 PM
I got hypothermia one late June biking off McDonald Pass and into Helena....35 degrees, snow, 6 mile descent....took refuge at the Burger King....then to TownsendJune of 95?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

kitzbuel
08-11-2017, 02:57 PM
How about Bigfork vs Whitefish? Found an amazing place on the swan River that we're strongly considering.Heaven is for people who don't go to the Swan.

IowaSERE
08-11-2017, 04:03 PM
How far out of Big Fork? Will you have to commute in the winter??? Check temps in the area that hover between 30 and 33 degrees..... that NW area is noted for 'icy roads' at times...... if its below zero..... roads are hard, but not slippery. Seems to me, the Big Fork property you are talking about is probably on the Seely-Swan Highway... heading east-south-east .... basically a two lane hi-way....

It's just west of 83 and South of 209. I'd be commuting every day to the north side of Kalispell. Looks like it's about 30 miles. I have a nice 4x4 truck so I'm not too concerned.

IowaSERE
08-11-2017, 04:04 PM
Heaven is for people who don't go to the Swan.

Why do you say that?

kitzbuel
08-11-2017, 06:45 PM
The Swan is one of the best places on the planet. Love that area.

GrizZAG
08-11-2017, 07:36 PM
The Swan is one of the best places on the planet. Love that area.

Agree totally. There is a fair amount of Grizzly bear activity near Swan Ranger station and the lake. They cross the highway from the Swan range to the Missions regularly in that area. It is worth noting that if backpacking and mountain lakes are of high interest, Bigfork or the Swan are in the epicenter gateway to the best places outside of Glacier Park and a zillion people. Also you mention bird hunting, so pheasants, ducks, geese are aplenty between Polson and St. Ignitius. Also both the mission side and Swan side of the highway to Seeley Lake are prime elk hunting areas. I have no awareness of the hunting near Whitefish as I never checked those areas out since I was a Missoula guy and it was a tad far. Honestly that drive from Bigfork to Seeley lake is the closest thing to Alaska I have seen in the lower 48. Just stunning as you pass between the Swan range and the Missions.

john montana
08-11-2017, 09:02 PM
I wouldn't want to commute to Kalispell from bigfork or the swan. Whitefish is an easy commute to kalispell. You can't go wrong really. I was fortunate to grow up there. Whitefish was and is a great place to be a kid!

jazzdelmar
08-12-2017, 04:02 AM
June of 95?

It was June 1998, during the GTE Big Ride across the US....700 riders...on that day I was among a few hundred to make it down, rest were sagged down the mtn. But I had hypothermia and was brought to the Burger King (Yes, across from Safeway, where I bought dry clothes after I recovered) and then to a school in Livingston. It was Helena front page news and the local emergency plan was activated. Incredible people.....

bartruff1
08-12-2017, 06:49 AM
On of the most interesting places I have ever been is Chico Hot Springs resort near the north and west corner of Yellowstone .....as I recall there are a half dozen different pools with different temps.....and right next to the pools is a cowboy bar filled with people from all over the world visiting Yellowstone... people in suits, turbans , bathing suits, chaps. ....no.... it is not a gay bar..

There are private jets and other planes landing on the road, motorhomes and motorcycles parked out front..... and horses tied up at a hitching rail in front of the bar...

The band starts playing and the dancing starts at about 7:30 and like Libby, the fighting starts at about 11....

Many call Montana "The Last Great Place" and in many ways it is....but, imo, there is nothing in the world to match the scale and variety of "The Great Land...."....we are so blessed...

ZionZag
08-12-2017, 08:34 PM
On of the most interesting places I have ever been is Chico Hot Springs resort near the north and west corner of Yellowstone .....as I recall there are a half dozen different pools with different temps.....and right next to the pools is a cowboy bar filled with people from all over the world visiting Yellowstone... people in suits, turbans , bathing suits, chaps. ....no.... it is not a gay bar..

There are private jets and other planes landing on the road, motorhomes and motorcycles parked out front..... and horses tied up at a hitching rail in front of the bar...

The band starts playing ant the dancing starts at about 7:30 and like Libby, the fighting starts at about 11....

Many call Montana "The Last Great Place" and in many ways it is....but, imo, there is nothing in the world to match the scale and variety of "The Great Land...."....we are so blessed...

And great Food!!!

GrizZAG
08-13-2017, 11:51 AM
Peter Fonda and other celebs live in the Paradise valley where Chico Hot springs is. I had a client to dinner at Chico one night when there was a ruckus out front. It was Ryan O'neil and Farrah trying to get a table without reservations. They were denied and Mr. O'neil got very angry. They indeed kept everyone else reservations in tact and they had to leave. That kind of made my day. Yes, incredible food there.

IowaSERE
08-13-2017, 07:23 PM
Honestly that drive from Bigfork to Seeley lake is the closest thing to Alaska I have seen in the lower 48. Just stunning as you pass between the Swan range and the Missions.

We will be fishing the Missouri River near Craig MT and will be driving over that stretch. Looking forward to it.

We will be in Whitefish from Aug 23-27. If anyone wants to meet up for a beer, let me know!

willandi
08-13-2017, 08:00 PM
We will be fishing the Missouri River near Craig MT and will be driving over that stretch. Looking forward to it.

We will be in Whitefish from Aug 23-27. If anyone wants to meet up for a beer, let me know!

Wish I could make it! I will be in Hamilton this coming weekend, the 19th and 20th, at the Bitterroot Highland Games, but will be enjoying a week off before driving to Pleasanton, Cali for the Games there the first weekend of September.