PDA

View Full Version : Local semipro team of Ex-Zags imagined

Section 116
08-04-2017, 07:11 PM
Certainly an interesting concept! I could see myself becoming a fan. What think ye? From the Spokane Journal of Business:

https://www.spokanejournal.com/local-news/local-semi-pro-basketball-team-made-of-ex-zags-imagined/

Outraged
08-04-2017, 07:39 PM
Certainly an interesting concept! I could see myself becoming a fan. What think ye? From the Spokane Journal of Business:

https://www.spokanejournal.com/local-news/local-semi-pro-basketball-team-made-of-ex-zags-imagined/
Why not a senior league that only plays half court?
It would be easier to find a venue and I would identify with them better.

willandi
08-04-2017, 09:06 PM
Why not a senior league that only plays half court?
It would be easier to find a venue and I would identify with them better.

...and make it 3 on 3 with bleachers in the other half court!

MDABE80
08-05-2017, 10:00 AM
Great way to lose money:)

Zagsker
08-05-2017, 03:58 PM
Great way to lose money:)

Yup.

Seems like a weird time to schedule games...cbb and NBA are going strong for a good chunk of.that time frame...and if it is made up with the same shlubs that are doing the 3:3 gigs, no thanks....that is unbearable to watch

Zagsker
08-05-2017, 05:42 PM

TheGonzagaFactor
08-07-2017, 06:26 AM
Sounds like another failed semi-pro league.

I'd think isolated mid-major college cities like Spokane would be the best fit for this, but I still heavily doubt they could get 2,000 per game over a season (the stated break even point).

Overlapping with the real basketball season is foolish. Also, minor league cities like Spokane have hockey teams stealing viewers during the winter.

I could see people turning out for the first couple games, but when the novelty wears off it will be empty.

The article kind of makes it sound like a scam with the owner's desire to get 100 teams. You'd be lucky to sustain this with 5 teams nationwide. It's like a watered down basketball version of the AFL.

thebigsmoove
08-08-2017, 04:23 AM
Really the thing thats not being done well in North America is minor league basketball. Europe is really the de facto minor league system for NBA teams (The G League cant compete with their garbage salaries). Its sad really we have all these amazing collegiate players who do not get a chance to play professionally in North America.