PDA

View Full Version : NWG to Europe?

Mojo13
08-04-2017, 07:00 AM
New rumor flying around that Nigel Williams-Goss on Zvezda's (Serbia powerhouse, EuroLeague team) radar for their new starting PG.

I think that would be good for him.

thebigsmoove
08-04-2017, 07:06 AM
New rumor flying around that Nigel Williams-Goss on Zvezda's (Serbia powerhouse, EuroLeague team) radar for their new starting PG.

I think that would be good for him.

yeah i dont think he did enough in summer league, but training camp could be different.

Mojo13
08-04-2017, 07:07 AM
I picked this off one of the message boards talking about it. A view of NWG from a EuroLeague fan who knows their stuff. I thought is was an interesting perspective.

"If true (NWG rumour), this has all the potential to be a terrific steal (most probably, no longer than for a season) and a nice partial compensation for all the losses Zvezda took this off-season. Williams-Goss being unneeded by a mediocre team like Jazz is a major sign of NBA being a weird world of its own. I mean, this guy is decent in defense and he was one of the most effective, varied and finesse offensive weapons in all the NCAA. His floater is just otherworldly, he nicely absorbs contact and creates separartion by using his body despite not being a huge athlete, not a natural-born floor general but a solid facilitator who very rarely turns the ball over. Not the best shooter (but a decent one), yet definitely he is no Calathes to be left open. And while he can definitely improve in being less selfish and more team-oriented player, the most important thing is that the guy is smart and he uses this smartness very effectively on the court. It is a very, very valuable asset for European basketball. This is what allows him to be a tough player in defense, despite lacking in athleticism and quickness. There are no major deficiencies in his game and there are some things in which he is really brilliant. For me this means that we are talking about excellent baller."

Mojo13
08-04-2017, 07:12 AM
yeah i dont think he did enough in summer league, but training camp could be different.

Doubtful. I don't see any way he makes the Jazz roster this year. If this rumor is true, then he and his agent know it too. A starting PG in the Euroleague is literally the one step below the NBA. He will get way more out of this than a year in the G-League.

thebigsmoove
08-04-2017, 07:23 AM
Doubtful. I don't see any way he makes the Jazz roster this year. If this rumor is true, then he and his agent know it too. A starting PG in the Euroleague is literally the one step below the NBA. He will get way more out of this than a year in the G-League.

couldnt agree more. Much more than a year just riding the pine in the NBA too.

JPtheBeasta
08-04-2017, 07:46 AM
That was a pretty spot-on assessment of Nigel, imo- although I think he is a better defender than he was given credit for.

Worthington
08-04-2017, 08:21 AM
Great opportunity for Nigel if true. Euroleague hoops is intense, high level basketball.

I was very hopeful that he would make an NBA roster, but he played uncharacteristically poorly in the summer league action that I watched. Hopefully he can get a year of pro ball under his belt and come back and impress an NBA team next year.

Zagdawg
08-04-2017, 09:07 AM
The Jazz had a guard who came into camp who was a big surprise -- can't recall the name-- but he was given a shot (recovering from an injury) and he excelled.

Mojo13
08-04-2017, 09:38 AM
The Jazz had a guard who came into camp who was a big surprise -- can't recall the name-- but he was given a shot (recovering from an injury) and he excelled.

Not much room on the Jazz roster - ok...no room.
The Jazz now have 16 guaranteed contracts, and one two-way contract. So someone already has to go before the season starts.

PG depth is Rubio, Dante Exum and Raul Neto, with a guys like Rodney Hood, Alec Burks and Donavan Mitchell as SGs where at least Mitchell can play some PG.

I don't see NWG beating out anyone on this list. Neto would be most possible, but he is not a bad role player for the Jazz - pesky defender.

NWG could still get that other 2-way G-League contract, but a starting PG in the EuroLeague will be more money and seems to me a better career development opportunity.

mgadfly
08-04-2017, 10:03 AM
Not much room on the Jazz roster - ok...no room.
The Jazz now have 16 guaranteed contracts, and one two-way contract. So someone already has to go before the season starts.

PG depth is Rubio, Dante Exum and Raul Neto, with a guys like Rodney Hood, Alec Burks and Donavan Mitchell as SGs where at least Mitchell can play some PG.

I don't see NWG beating out anyone on this list. Neto would be most possible, but he is not a bad role player for the Jazz - pesky defender.

NWG could still get that other 2-way G-League contract, but a starting PG in the EuroLeague will be more money and seems to me a better career development opportunity.

If he took the two-way deal he would be tied to the jazz. He'd only get a shot if they needed a PG. wouldn't it be better to get cut, take the European money, and then be free to pursue an offer from any needy NBA team? I'm not sure what is attractive about those two-way contracts.

jazzdelmar
08-04-2017, 10:11 AM
Should have stayed and enjoyed the glory train on the road to the FF (as should have Zach). What was the hurry? Now he's just a guy with a tough job......

El Zag
08-04-2017, 10:47 AM
instant vs delayed gratification

bartruff1
08-04-2017, 10:53 AM
The glory doesn't pay the bills or provide a opportunity for a financially secure lifetime..no one is promised tomorrow ...not for a Championship or a boatload of money ....." ...there is a tide in the affairs of men......."....read it, there is great wisdom there..

Mojo13
08-04-2017, 10:59 AM
Should have stayed and enjoyed the glory train on the road to the FF (as should have Zach). What was the hurry? Now he's just a guy with a tough job......
Really? Does this need to be repeated ad nauseam?
A pro basketball player's career is finite. Period. They are getting one more year of income at a rate most of us can't dream of. Zach is making $3M this year. NWG might get close to 400K-500K US dollar equivalent.

Let's just drag 200K net after tax out to normal retirement age you are taking $3.6 million dollars (7% rate). The opportunity cost of staying in school for one extra year just for NWG is in the millions (tens of millions for Zach).

Yes...there are a loads of other variables that could go into it, but I see only money lost by NWG staying another year.

btzag
08-04-2017, 11:25 AM
A pro basketball player's career is finite. Period. They are getting one more year of income at a rate most of us can't dream of. Zach is making $3M this year. NWG might get close to 400K-500K US dollar equivalent.

Let's just drag 200K net after tax out to normal retirement age you are taking $3.6 million dollars (7% rate). The opportunity cost of staying in school for one extra year just for NWG is in the millions (tens of millions for Zach).

Yes...there are a loads of other variables that could go into it, but I see only money lost by NWG staying another year.

I agree. If true, congrats to NWG on landing an elite job!

upan8th
08-04-2017, 11:34 AM
The Dude graduated! With Honors! Already missed a year of playing due to red-shirt. Got a trunk full full of Euros waiting for him when he deplanes in Europe. My God, just GIVE IT UP, will ya?

thebigsmoove
08-04-2017, 11:45 AM

I agree about Nigel. But Zach isnt staying and giving up millions.

MDABE80
08-04-2017, 12:51 PM
The glory doesn't pay the bills or provide a opportunity for a financially secure lifetime..no one is promised tomorrow ...not for a Championship or a boatload of money ....." ...there is a tide in the affairs of men......."....read it, there is great wisdom there..

FULL scholarship guy. What bills???? I agree with Jazz. We just lost a FF with those two gone. Now Collins is injured. Nigel's got a job maybe. It's not the money? FREEDOM comes with a cost to someone. Case closed on those two. We wish em well but never forget the cost to the GU. For me, lol, it's like picking a scab that rebleeds.

bartruff1
08-04-2017, 12:56 PM
Abe, we all love you (and Jazz) and we want you to get well....;)

MDABE80
08-04-2017, 01:22 PM
Look Bartster, you have your opinion and it's shared by many here. I have mine. No worries. Just a huge opportunity lost.

jazzdelmar
08-04-2017, 01:46 PM
Look Bartster, you have your opinion and it's shared by many here. I have mine. No worries. Just a huge opportunity lost.

Sigh. Right on Doc. There are arguably 300 point guards around the world better than NWG. At least 200 in the NBA and G league. Fact. Back to GU he would have been the best in CBB, Wooden semi finalist, god knows what other laurels. Lost opportunity especially for such an articulate young man. Collins, not as cut and dried, but would have made money any time. Let's move on, Doc.

MDABE80
08-04-2017, 01:55 PM
I already have. Like I said, this talk is like picking a scab. Grrrrrrr......what's done is done though. I guess we adjust to the new culture of things. I'm very happy to look to the future. New guards. I have a hunch we have already have a Nigel in the fold. Might take a year to for him to step up. God provides for these Zags. It's becoming mythical. :))

vandalzag
08-04-2017, 02:04 PM
Why can't these kids see the big picture and be sensitive to our goals? I mean just think of the opportunity that Collins wasted by getting hurt in the NBA instead of college. he could be injured for free, instead while under contract, so foolish. And Goss obviously can't do math since there are hundreds of players better than him. What is he thinking getting drafted and getting paid to play basketball. All these kids think of is me, me, me. But what about what I want? Do they not understand that my goals are much better then theirs and clearly I know what should be more important to them.

ZagNative
08-04-2017, 02:07 PM
Why can't these kids see the big picture and be sensitive to our goals? I mean just think of the opportunity that Collins wasted by getting hurt in the NBA instead of college. he could be injured for free, instead while under contract, so foolish. And Goss obviously can't do math since there are hundreds of players better than him. What is he thinking getting drafted and getting paid to play basketball. All these kids think of is me, me, me. But what about what I want? Do they not understand that my goals are much better then theirs and clearly I know what should be more important to them.Hear, hear!!!

jazzdelmar
08-04-2017, 02:18 PM
Why can't these kids see the big picture and be sensitive to our goals? I mean just think of the opportunity that Collins wasted by getting hurt in the NBA instead of college. he could be injured for free, instead while under contract, so foolish. And Goss obviously can't do math since there are hundreds of players better than him. What is he thinking getting drafted and getting paid to play basketball. All these kids think of is me, me, me. But what about what I want? Do they not understand that my goals are much better then theirs and clearly I know what should be more important to them.

Welcome back, Kotter.

bartruff1
08-04-2017, 02:40 PM
Julius Caesar Act 4, Scene 3.....Brutus....:

" There is a tide in the affairs of men....that is a force....that ebbs and flows in time and one must go with the flow....waiting around only allows your power to ebb....if the opportunity is missed....you'll be stranded in miserable shallows....we must take the current when it serves ...or lose our ventures "...according to the Bard....take the money and run....according to Bart..

MileHigh
08-04-2017, 02:45 PM

Unlikely an American is going to get 500k his first season in euro league with no NBA experience on his resume. Maybe half that if he is lucky. He will get a free apartment and 2-3 free meals per day though. Americans have to prove themselves in Europe, or have significant NBA minutes on their resume, to get the life changing dough.

jazzdelmar
08-04-2017, 02:53 PM
What's wrong with a fan dreaming of a front court NEXT year of Sabonis, Collins, Tillie and Williams, orchestrated by NWG. Sigh.

Markburn1
08-04-2017, 03:05 PM
What's wrong with a fan dreaming of a front court NEXT year of Sabonis, Collins, Tillie and Williams, orchestrated by NWG. Sigh.

Nothing at all. For myself, I prefer to dream about what is in front of me instead of dwelling on what might have been.

HenneZag
08-04-2017, 03:10 PM

Oh dear lord! That would just be mean.

jazzdelmar
08-04-2017, 03:17 PM
Nothing at all. For myself, I prefer to dream about what is in front of me instead of dwelling on what might have been.

Fair enuf, Mark. But it's the dog days of August. I'm allowed.

Markburn1
08-04-2017, 03:24 PM
Fair enuf, Mark. But it's the dog days of August. I'm allowed.

Absolutely. Although, in Del Mar it's hard to complain about dog days. Here in the Central Valley.....

Although, I'm half crazy. I like it when it's 100 degrees.

IowaSERE
08-04-2017, 03:26 PM

The problem would be trying to imagine the team from KU or UNC if noone left school early for the NBA.

jazzdelmar
08-04-2017, 03:41 PM
Absolutely. Although, in Del Mar it's hard to complain about dog days. Here in the Central Valley.....

Although, I'm half crazy. I like it when it's 100 degrees.

Hot enough here, Mark. High 80s and very humid. Just came back from Yosemite, plenty hot there. You near there, Fresno? Great airport.

jazzdelmar
08-04-2017, 03:42 PM
The problem would be trying to imagine the team from KU or UNC if noone left school early for the NBA.

Geez, how hot is it in Des Moines?

Markburn1
08-04-2017, 03:50 PM
Hot enough here, Mark. High 80s and very humid. Just came back from Yosemite, plenty hot there. You near there, Fresno? Great airport.

Pretty close. About 60 miles north on 99. I go through Mariposa to get to Yosemite. Haven't done it since the big fire, but I love that place.

Youngest son matriculated at UC San Diego. We found a motel in Del Mar that we frequented many a time. Almost hated to see him graduate. The good news there is it was like a $40,000/yr raise when we didn't have tuition to pay and an apartment in La Jolla to rent.

Will be flying out of Fresno to Phoenix in a couple weeks. Always enjoy the low key atmosphere at that airport.

jazzdelmar
08-04-2017, 04:04 PM
Pretty close. About 60 miles north on 99. I go through Mariposa to get to Yosemite. Haven't done it since the big fire, but I love that place.

Youngest son matriculated at UC San Diego. We found a motel in Del Mar that we frequented many a time. Almost hated to see him graduate. The good news there is it was like a $40,000/yr raise when we didn't have tuition to pay and an apartment in La Jolla to rent.

Will be flying out of Fresno to Phoenix in a couple weeks. Always enjoy the low key atmosphere at that airport.

Del Mar hotel on the beach? Lauberge, Stratford court? Hit Jakes and Poseidon much? UCSD, impressive. Fresno airport shocked us, futuristic, cantilevered like a new European airport. Why is that? Lotta money in that area? Shared with military? Yosemite was Times Square, stayed at Majestic. One and done for us. Way prefer Glacier and Tetons.

mgadfly
08-04-2017, 04:46 PM
Unlikely an American is going to get 500k his first season in euro league with no NBA experience on his resume. Maybe half that if he is lucky. He will get a free apartment and 2-3 free meals per day though. Americans have to prove themselves in Europe, or have significant NBA minutes on their resume, to get the life changing dough.

I thought the starting salary in the Euroleague is supposed to be about $100k now (a little more for better players). And if you play for a lot of teams, they pay the local tax, plus the car, apartment and meals they usually offer. Then, the foreign tax credit covers most of the earned overseas salary. I'd bet Goss ends up on the higher end of the starting salaries and is making six digits. And he will make that with a lower tax liability than someone in the D league making a quarter or fifth that. Not a bad starting salary and there are some pretty nice places to play in Europe.

Markburn1
08-04-2017, 04:56 PM
Del Mar hotel on the beach? Lauberge, Stratford court? Hit Jakes and Poseidon much? UCSD, impressive. Fresno airport shocked us, futuristic, cantilevered like a new European airport. Why is that? Lotta money in that area? Shared with military? Yosemite was Times Square, stayed at Majestic. One and done for us. Way prefer Glacier and Tetons.

Airport has National Guard. You'd be surprised at the number of multi millionaire farmers around Fresno.

Hotel was on Camino Del Mar. Best Western Premier. Quiet. Inexpensive. Close to all the cool stuff like beaches, racetrack, UCSD, etc.

Proud of the kid. Degree in economics.

Jake's Sunday brunch. Good stuff.

Yosemite Valley is gorgeous, but to be avoided. People think they are in Disneyland. They don't seem to mind the crowds, but I can't take it. Hiking in the high country is the best.

MDABE80
08-04-2017, 05:04 PM
There were giggling blue marlins nightly top floor of the plaze. Loved that bar!

jazzdelmar
08-04-2017, 05:51 PM
There were giggling blue marlins nightly top floor of the plaze. Loved that bar!

Which place?

CDC84
08-04-2017, 08:43 PM
It's for the best. I have said it once and I will say it again.....if the chance is there, I would rather play in Europe, and see more PT than rot as the 12th man on the NBA bench. Even if NWG were to make a NBA team, so what? He has a better chance of making the NBA and sticking by playing in Europe and showing off his talents professionally. Plus, you get to be in one place and know what you future is to some extent.

I still say that if Delly can play in the league, so can NWG.

MileHigh
08-05-2017, 05:28 AM
I thought the starting salary in the Euroleague is supposed to be about $100k now (a little more for better players). And if you play for a lot of teams, they pay the local tax, plus the car, apartment and meals they usually offer. Then, the foreign tax credit covers most of the earned overseas salary. I'd bet Goss ends up on the higher end of the starting salaries and is making six digits. And he will make that with a lower tax liability than someone in the D league making a quarter or fifth that. Not a bad starting salary and there are some pretty nice places to play in Europe.

There is little rhyme or reason to salaries in the top league overseas (Euroleague) because of the discrepancies in team budgets. CSKA Moscow has a yearly budget of about 35M,and might spend 15M on salaries. Zvezda on the other hand has a budget of about 5M and might spend 2M on salaries. There is no salary cap and contracts are not guaranteed. Many contracts for US players are weekly, where a player will be paid a certain amount a week, but he can be cut with no notice and will have to find another team to play on oversees or head back to the US. If you are a star in the Euroleague it can be a great life, but if you are a journeymen it can be pretty unsettling at times.

Coach Crazy
08-05-2017, 06:12 AM

Ding, ding, ding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zaga
08-05-2017, 08:22 AM

+1

Ezag
08-06-2017, 12:54 PM
I still say that if Delly can play in the league, so can NWG.[/QUOTE]

And Delly Got Paid - almost $40 Mil!

willandi
08-06-2017, 02:26 PM

With the number of schollies set, it would mean more top caliber players available for all the other schools.

TexasZagFan
08-06-2017, 03:47 PM

And Delly Got Paid - almost $40 Mil![/QUOTE]

With the exception of LeBron and a few others, the 2018 FA class will be sorely disappointed. The teams spent it all the past two years.

seacatfan
08-06-2017, 04:51 PM
Yosemite Valley is gorgeous, but to be avoided. People think they are in Disneyland. They don't seem to mind the crowds, but I can't take it. Hiking in the high country is the best.

The Valley is unique enough to be worth visiting at least once or twice, briefly. I prefer Tuolumne area. Or Kings Canyon. Or Ansel Adams and John Muir Wilderness Areas. The east side of the Sierras rocks!

seacatfan
08-06-2017, 04:55 PM
Back to the topic, what would have changed if NWG returned to Gonzaga for another year? Would his draft stock and his pro prospects have improved significantly? He isn't the first player this happened to, and won't be the last.

Yeah, if everybody that still had eligibility left was at GU this year, they would be very formidable. But every perennial top 10 type school can come up w/ their dream team of guys that could still be on campus, if they hadn't gone pro.

jazzdelmar
08-07-2017, 03:54 AM
Back to the topic, what would have changed if NWG returned to Gonzaga for another year? Would his draft stock and his pro prospects have improved significantly? He isn't the first player this happened to, and won't be the last.

Yeah, if everybody that still had eligibility left was at GU this year, they would be very formidable. But every perennial top 10 type school can come up w/ their dream team of guys that could still be on campus, if they hadn't gone pro.

Here's my point. You were ecstatic I'm sure to welcome Alkins and Trier back, correct. And UNC got back Joel Berry. All are far better NBA backcourt prospects than NWG, yes? And don't say the NBA drafts youth and upside. That's for the supers, the first 12 or so, not for role players. Clearly being the preeminent player in CBB on a top 10 team was less an inducement than making chicken feed sitting on an anonymous team in a third rate Euro league. He's never been further away from the NBA.

Zagger
08-07-2017, 04:36 AM
FULL scholarship guy. What bills???? I agree with Jazz. We just lost a FF with those two gone. Now Collins is injured. Nigel's got a job maybe. It's not the money? FREEDOM comes with a cost to someone. Case closed on those two. We wish em well but never forget the cost to the GU. For me, lol, it's like picking a scab that rebleeds.

Cost to GU? Maybe we shouldn't have these types of "cost" on the roster any more - just be fine with winning the WCC every now and then.

Lost a FF with those two gone???? Doesn't say much for the guys currently on the roster. I feel we have an excellent team for 2017-2018. Who knows just how well they'll do?!?! Thank you VERY MUCH all former Zags! I'm itching to watch this coming season's bunch - without looking back on what-ifs.

Mojo13
08-07-2017, 08:51 AM
Seeing more rumors that Nigel Williams-Goss is close to signing a multi year deal with Zvezda - expectation is that he'd be their starting PG.

To add to the intrigue I am seeing that Austin Daye is their top FA target for their starting PF.

Y'all gonna have a team to follow in the EuroLeague. Maybe a rivalry brewing with Pangos's Zalgiris.

Bogozags
08-07-2017, 02:05 PM
Cost to GU? Maybe we shouldn't have these types of "cost" on the roster any more - just be fine with winning the WCC every now and then.

Lost a FF with those two gone???? Doesn't say much for the guys currently on the roster. I feel we have an excellent team for 2017-2018. Who knows just how well they'll do?!?! Thank you VERY MUCH all former Zags! I'm itching to watch this coming season's bunch - without looking back on what-ifs.

Zagged I understand what Doc means...the preverbial "IF" is the key...it is my opinion that if NWG and Zach would have come back with the addition of Wade and Kispert, we would have been a preseason Top Five pick and repeated in the FF...it would have been an incredible season BUT they've didn't stay...

It took me three years to get over Kelly not returning and I believe that after next year I might be able to sleep nights forgetting Domantas...I'm sure that after the 2020 season, I will get over not having back-to-back FF's...but then I'm pretty sentimental...I know how Doc feels...

jazzdelmar
08-07-2017, 02:24 PM
Zagged I understand what Doc means...the preverbial "IF" is the key...it is my opinion that if NWG and Zach would have come back with the addition of Wade and Kispert, we would have been a preseason Top Five pick and repeated in the FF...it would have been an incredible season BUT they've didn't stay...
Up
It took me three years to get over Kelly not returning and I believe that after next year I might be able to sleep nights forgetting Domantas...I'm sure that after the 2020 season, I will get over not having back-to-back FF's...but then I'm pretty sentimental...I know how Doc feels...

Thanks Bogo. Welcome to a very small club.

seacatfan
08-07-2017, 03:13 PM
Here's my point. You were ecstatic I'm sure to welcome Alkins and Trier back, correct. And UNC got back Joel Berry. All are far better NBA backcourt prospects than NWG, yes? And don't say the NBA drafts youth and upside. That's for the supers, the first 12 or so, not for role players. Clearly being the preeminent player in CBB on a top 10 team was less an inducement than making chicken feed sitting on an anonymous team in a third rate Euro league. He's never been further away from the NBA.

Definitely happy Trier and Alkins are back, as I'm sure UNC fans are about Berry. As far as how they stack up against NWG as NBA prospects, I really don't know. Berry might be a guy like Mason was at Kansas, just a great college guard, but not somebody the NBA gets excited about. It's getting rarer and rarer for an NBA prospect to stick around for his Sr. year of college, usually if the League really covets them they are gone before then.

Anyway Arizona has lost PLENTY of guys after 1 or 2 years, including some that had no business declaring early and ended up nowhere. And the very first guy I think of when it comes to "Do you jump after your Jr. year when you are a borderline prospect, or do you come back 1 more year?" is Nick Johnson. Would've been great to have him in Tucson 1 more season, but he wouldn't have gotten any taller, and he most likely wouldn't have become a true PG, so nothing really would've changed for him.

TexasZagFan
08-07-2017, 04:13 PM

I learned a lesson from my grandson, Big D. Two years ago, his favorite was Domas. Last year, it was Zach Collins. He was really bummed out that Killian wasn't on campus...until he spent some time with Corey.

I love 'me all!

CDC84
08-07-2017, 04:28 PM
I don't think Nigel was going to get any higher in the draft if he had stayed because NBA execs just don't like him. They admire his guts and leadership. It's confusing to me because I see more than a few backup NBA PG's in the league that are no better than him. Especially with how much he has improved as an on ball defender and jump shooter.

DixieZag
08-07-2017, 05:56 PM
Did he even ask Goldman Sachs or UBS, or Chase and all the usuals?

He might've gotten a better contract.

jazzdelmar
08-07-2017, 06:08 PM
I don't think Nigel was going to get any higher in the draft if he had stayed because NBA execs just don't like him. They admire his guts and leadership. It's confusing to me because I see more than a few backup NBA PG's in the league that are no better than him. Especially with how much he has improved as an on ball defender and jump shooter.

Nor any lower, so why not enjoy a year of glorious valedictory? The chicken feed would always have been there.

raise the zag
08-07-2017, 08:12 PM
Nor any lower, so why not enjoy a year of glorious valedictory? The chicken feed would always have been there.

I'm with Jazz on this one.

He wouldn't have raised nor lowered his stock.

22 vs 23 yrs of age? Who cares.

After 20, it's all grouped together and no longer 'phenom'.

Life is too short, enjoy the fruits while you can.

He woulda make a quarter mil next year too...

Hell, maybe he would have developed his 3pt shot even more, who knows.

If you are over 30, and make good money, I GUARANTEE you would give up a good chunk of your yearly or lifetime earnings for one more "real time" year at Gonzaga as a student/fan/athlete/friend. I adore my life, but I definitely would...no matter the cost.

Sometimes we forget these 4 short (albeit lifelong) years only happen once. ONCE. Then its gone. For good. No coming back. Adult goals commence

Then its about earning for a retirement, and as many of you know, it really doesn't matter how MUCH money you make, its all relative. Whether you're a millionaire or not.

NWG's final post to Gonzaga was about 'living his dream to play in the NBA', well, I have a feeling after his summer league woes, he wishes he would have returned for one more season of competition, glory, face of franchise, and fun. He waited to declare last minute for a reason. He tried to ride the F4 wave, but wasn't 100% healthy this off-season and it didn't work out. He probably has one more chance depending on his 1st year in Euro league, but then the door slowly closes.

Zagdawg
08-07-2017, 08:18 PM
https://twitter.com/JazzNationNews/status/894720762510102529

JazzNation‏ @JazzNationNews 4h4 hours ago
More
NWG (@NigelWG5) wins best dressed rookie in new @SInow article �� http://on.si.com/2fmlV61
#JazzNation #UtahJazz

thebigsmoove
08-08-2017, 04:14 AM
He has all the trends down pat: ripped jeans, chelsea boots and cool outerwear to set him apart.

Um...those are not Chelsea Boots...

bartruff1
08-08-2017, 04:56 AM
:horse:

Markburn1
08-08-2017, 06:54 AM
:horse:

Dog Days. As Jazz says. Just folks killing time. Probably not going to affect your life one way or another.

zaguarxj
08-08-2017, 08:26 AM

It must be nice to be able to say Euroleague bucks is "chicken feed." Congratulations on your success.

JPtheBeasta
08-08-2017, 08:40 AM
Dog Days. As Jazz says. Just folks killing time. Probably not going to affect your life one way or another.

What did dogs do to pass the time before the internet?

Worthington
08-08-2017, 08:44 AM
A couple points being made on here strike me as questionable...

"Why not come back and play for a national championship?" - The tournament is a crapshoot every year. Last year's team was our best ever and we still easily could have lost in the Sweet 16 to West Virginia. Losing the college basketball's best center and a lottery pick, we likely were not going to be better this season even with NWG. Last year was a special team and, to be honest, we likely will not top it this year, so why not go out on a high note?

"Why not experience the glory and excitement of college basketball for one more year?" - Is this to say that there is no glory in competing for a Euroleague championship? Sure, March Madness is one of sporting's biggest spectacles, but the Euroleague finals are a huge deal in international basketball. The intensity and atmosphere of some of those Euroleague games rivals anything that you'll see at the college level. Nigel is not going to be wanting for energized arenas and big stages to play in next season.

Another factor that I haven't really heard mentioned on here much is that maybe Nigel was just bored with college basketball. Playing another full year of WCC basketball does not provide much of a challenge for him as an athlete. True competitors want to challenge themselves against the best so they can elevate their games, and that's exactly what he is doing.

TexasZagFan
08-08-2017, 08:44 AM
What did dogs do to pass the time before the internet?

I'd ask my son's pooch, but she's not answering her phone at the moment. She's suffering from her normal affliction of separation anxiety, when the family is at work or school.

JPtheBeasta
08-08-2017, 09:57 AM
I'd ask my son's pooch, but she's not answering her phone at the moment. She's suffering from her normal affliction of separation anxiety, when the family is at work or school.

Millennials...

Mojo13
08-08-2017, 10:22 AM
It must be nice to be able to say Euroleague bucks is "chicken feed." Congratulations on your success.

Agreed. Top players in the EL are making near $7-9mil USD equivalent.

For example Alexi Shved (a NBA washout) is being paid 3.5M Euros a year NET (meaning after tax).

My guess is NWG would start at about 150K-200K Euros a year NET. That would be equivalent to about $350-$450K USD gross (chickenfeed!).

https://www.talkbasket.net/salaries

DixieZag
08-08-2017, 12:31 PM
Agreed. Top players in the EL are making near $7-9mil USD equivalent.

For example Alexi Shved (a NBA washout) is being paid 3.5M Euros a year NET (meaning after tax).

My guess is NWG would start at about 150K-200K Euros a year NET. That would be equivalent to about $350-$450K USD gross (chickenfeed!).

https://www.talkbasket.net/salaries

That puts it into perspective a little better.

Go over, young, single, live on $100K, bank the rest, ready to go and do it again. Be well on his way to never having to work for an Investment Banks.

Mojo13
08-08-2017, 04:00 PM
That puts it into perspective a little better.

Go over, young, single, live on $100K, bank the rest, ready to go and do it again. Be well on his way to never having to work for an Investment Banks.

And for more perspective some of you should google Red Star Belgrade basketball for images and videos.
It makes The Kennel look like a church.

Probably the most intense place to play in the world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZrDgMYRn9w
That smoke is from flares and fireworks lit off by fans.

This one takes you on a tour. Skip to minute 4 to get a taste of a variety of European basketball stadium settings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWrSw3X8TRs

Mojo13
08-08-2017, 09:25 PM
Twitter is on fire regarding new Zvezda (Red Star Belgrade) signing being announced today. It hasn't been done yet but it is expected soon. They are saying that a "Bulldog is landing in Belgrade". That is 99% Williams-Goss. Unless somehow it ends up being Kyle Wiltjer or Austin Daye as they are looking for an import starting caliber PF too.

Pretty rare feat for a kid to go directly from the NCAA to the Euroleague. Usually they start at a lower level to get their professional feet wet.

gonzagafan62
08-08-2017, 10:42 PM

I was saying this in April..... everyone called me an idiot

jazzdelmar
08-09-2017, 03:25 AM

Nevertheless, you were and are right. The most compelling reason offered for him leaving, IMO, is playing another year in the dreadful WCC, in drafty h.s. gyms in a succession of boring blowouts. Still, what he is enjoying now would almost certainly have been there a year from now. And the OOC and post season could have been wonderful.

TexasZagFan
08-09-2017, 04:54 AM

Everyone? Perhaps an exaggeration...lol

Play hoops in Europe, make six figures while doing it? Sign me up.

My basic pay out of GU also contained multiple sixes, as in $666 per month. Lol

jazzdelmar
08-09-2017, 05:20 AM
Everyone? Perhaps an exaggeration...lol

Play hoops in Europe, make six figures while doing it? Sign me up.

My basic pay out of GU also contained multiple sixes, as in $666 per month. Lol

Tex, it's not a binary choice. What's there now for NWG would have been there next year.........with a sliver of a chance it would have been an even better opportunity.

Zagdawg
08-09-2017, 05:39 AM
Going to tell you the same thing Zachs dad shared with me. The boys are one serious injury away from leaving basketball for good (ask Shem how close it can be to happening).

Would have loved for NWG to stay another year-- but it did not happen -- time to support him in his choice (follow him in is career) and move on to the next Zags up -- going to be an exciting year -- lots of new faces and old ones who will have the opportunity to step up and make an impact.

TexasZagFan
08-09-2017, 05:48 AM
Tex, it's not a binary choice. What's there now for NWG would have been there next year.........with a sliver of a chance it would have been an even better opportunity.

I understand where you're coming from, and our chances for another deep run in the Dance would be greatly improved.

sittingon50
08-09-2017, 07:38 AM

62, if it's any consolation, we knew you were an idiot waaaaaaaaaaaay before April!

:p

cjm720
08-09-2017, 08:08 AM

I think most people didn't think he would make the league...and he should come back. Most however respected his decision.

TexasZagFan
08-09-2017, 08:34 AM
I think most people didn't think he would make the league...and he should come back. Most however respected his decision.

Just like Domas' game against Utah, Zach's game against South Carolina boosted him into a lottery pick.

Mojo13
08-09-2017, 08:38 AM

This is categorically not true.

What is the average professional basketball players professional career? 3-5 years? More? Less?

Let's give him a huge benefit of the doubt and say NWG will make professional money for 10 years. Staying one more year could theoretically cut out 1/10th of his peak earnings years. He stays in school and that year of peak earnings is gone forever.

Those advocating that he should has stayed sure seem merely concerned about their own personal interests (OMG! FINAL 4!).

Blake Stepp was drafted around the same spot as NWG - he got not even 2 years in of pro ball before his career was done.

maynard g krebs
08-09-2017, 08:42 AM
what he is enjoying now would almost certainly have been there a year from now.

He'd be a year older, with one less year to play a finite pro career- 10-12 years if he's lucky and stays healthy. So that's somewhere close to 10% of his potential career earnings he'd be giving up to come back. And he's not likely to be making millions.

And there's the career ending injury factor as well.

I'm happy with next year's guards. The dropoff is gonna be at the 5 spot.

Mojo13
08-09-2017, 08:50 AM
He'd be a year older, with one less year to play a finite pro career- 10-12 years if he's lucky and stays healthy. So that's somewhere close to 10% of his potential career earnings he'd be giving up to come back. And he's not likely to be making millions.

And there's the career ending injury factor as well.

I'm happy with next year's guards. The dropoff is gonna be at the 5 spot.

Weird same wave length thing going on here.

maynard g krebs
08-09-2017, 11:43 AM
Weird same wave length thing going on here.

Yeah, I went to do something after I started to post and came back and finished a few min later, then saw yours after I posted.

Mojo13
08-14-2017, 08:30 AM
So no news on NWG signing with Red Star Belgrade in the last week or two when I heard his signing was imminent.
Apparently Red Star is trying to lock up young guys on 3 year deals and NWG wants a short term (1 year) or 1+1 deal. Thinking (I assume) that if he plays well he wants a shot at more money or the NBA and not be locked down for 3 years.
Red Star is a poorer team in the EuroLeague with one of the smallest budgets, so they need to go this route or they just have too much turnover in players.

Just so people have an idea what we are talking about - lucky Zvezda's (aka Red Star Belgrade) salaries have been leaked in the media. In a press conference they stated that Zvezda will have around 2.7 mil (Euros) this year for salaries of players and coaches (remember this is net after taxes. So far they have spent 2.2 mil, and the supposed 500k is gonna be used on a (starting) PG, or a potential addition of a PF later on/replacement of one of the current players.

Here are the salaries:

Nikola Radičević, PG 150.000
Petar Rakićević, SG/SF 80.000
James Feldein, SG 350.000
Ognjen Dobrić, SG/SF 80.000
Aleksa Radanov, PG/SG/SF 50.000
Nemanja Dangubić, SF 250.000
Marko Kešelj, SF/PF 80.000
Stefan Janković, PF 175.000
Boriša Simanić, PF 160.000
Mathias Lessort, C 170.000
Milko Bjelica, PF/C 375.000
Nikola Jovanović, C 90.000
Branko Lazić SG/SF 200.000

Coaching Staff: 240.000

Total: 2.250.000

So NWG could be looking at 250K to 500K (probably on the lower end) NET Euros per year. Pangos is around $250K for comparison at Zalgiris.

bartruff1
08-14-2017, 08:43 AM
250,000 euros is about $295, 000 ....

Mojo13
08-14-2017, 08:54 AM
250,000 euros is about $295, 000 ....

Ya about that. Given without tax and having accommodation, car, food covered as well, it seems it would be equivalent to a $600-$700K USD pre-tax, which is actually above the NBA minimum salary for rookies and far, far abouve the G-League max. of $75K USD or the two-way deal max. of $275K USD.

NWG signing with Red Star seems to have stalled....so it may not happen. But at least you can get an example of his market value in Europe.

There is more money in China but they usually prefer bigger names in former (slightly washed up) NBA players.

Bogozags
08-16-2017, 05:24 AM
Ya about that. Given without tax and having accommodation, car, food covered as well, it seems it would be equivalent to a $600-$700K USD pre-tax, which is actually above the NBA minimum salary for rookies and far, far abouve the G-League max. of $75K USD or the two-way deal max. of $275K USD.

NWG signing with Red Star seems to have stalled....so it may not happen. But at least you can get an example of his market value in Europe.

There is more money in China but they usually prefer bigger names in former (slightly washed up) NBA players.

You know that is a lot of money for an "unproven" professional player, especially for this team according to the salaries you listed. He would be the 4th highest paid player if the 250K Euros is accurate...I wonder if that salary might be for three years as one PG earns 150K and the other 50K...

I am not sure but don't EuroLeague teams have buy-out contracts with the NBA? I can understand how these contracts can add to the cost of signing a player from the Euro League, so is that what NWG is trying to avoid...to reduce his "price tag" if he has a good first year?

I can't imagine the stress this one decision might well be causing him and just how important this first decision is (IMO).

Mojo13
08-16-2017, 09:30 AM
You know that is a lot of money for an "unproven" professional player, especially for this team according to the salaries you listed. He would be the 4th highest paid player if the 250K Euros is accurate...I wonder if that salary might be for three years as one PG earns 150K and the other 50K...

I am not sure but don't EuroLeague teams have buy-out contracts with the NBA? I can understand how these contracts can add to the cost of signing a player from the Euro League, so is that what NWG is trying to avoid...to reduce his "price tag" if he has a good first year?

I can't imagine the stress this one decision might well be causing him and just how important this first decision is (IMO).

I don't think so. I can really see him in the 200K to 250K euro range. Take Stefan Janković, PF at 175K as a good comparison (he signed this summer too). He is a Canadian-Serb, undrafted out of Hawaii. I think was the Big West player of the year in 2016. He played in the D-League last year and was very unimpressive. Red Star signed him because he counts as a Serb (non-import quota), is young and agreed to a three year deal. Jankovic is expected to be a back up PF this year (or even third string). NWG is a superior player, with a better resume, but yes, unproven (but around the same age 24 vs NWG's 22). However NWG is targeted to be their starting PG (if signed).

Pangos signed for about 250K euros with Zalgiris in his second pro season.

As for buyout - yes there are buyouts in most if not all deals. But most Euroleague deals are 1 or 2 years so it doesn't matter that much. I definitely think NWG would be concerned with a three year deal and a a hefty buyout. However they are usually not too high, NBA teams will usually pay it without blinking and are actually capped by the CBA with how much they can pay (like 600-800K USD or something in that zone), so they usually don't get too high

For example this summer Khem Birch (a Canadian I follow) opted out of the 2nd year of his deal with Olympiacos paying him a $600K euros (he is only 24) salary to sign with the Magic (for only a partially guaranteed deal that crazy goof - but that is not the point). He had a 375K euro buyout that the Magic picked up seemingly without complaint. This is for a player they expect to make their roster but maybe only as a 12th to 15th man.

sittingon50
08-21-2017, 10:31 PM
Back in Spokane for the 1st time since graduation to put on a camp @ Liberty Lake.

ZagNative
08-21-2017, 11:49 PM
SWX video about Nigel's camp for kids in Spokane: http://www.swxrightnow.com/category/160222/video-landing-page?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=13620571

About 100 kids attended, so that's cool!

Bogozags
08-23-2017, 07:58 AM
SWX video about Nigel's camp for kids in Spokane: http://www.swxrightnow.com/category/160222/video-landing-page?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=13620571

About 100 kids attended, so that's cool!

Just ran into him at the Holiday Inn Express and is still weighing his options...really nice article in the paper about him and his camp...

Mojo13
09-26-2017, 11:54 AM
Don;t know where the other thread talking about NWG signing with Partizan so posting this here.

He posted a killer game in his first game with Partizan. 30 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists... And his overall index rating was 36
http://www.aba-liga.com/news.php?id=38707

Thats a quick way to steal the hearts of the fanatical Partizan fans.

ZagNative
09-29-2017, 11:05 AM
It's half-time of Partizan's ABA Liga game against MZT SKOPJE AERODROM, and Partizan leads 48-42. Box Score. (http://www.aba-liga.com/match-live.php?id=6&sez=17&lea=1&tab=statistic_Stats). Nigel with 8 points, a rebound, and 6 assists

ZagNative
09-29-2017, 12:03 PM
Partizan lost 89-92. Box Score. (http://www.aba-liga.com/match.php?id=6&sez=17&lea=1&tab=statistic_PlayByPlay)Nigel had a poor shooting day, with 12 points on 3/13 shooting, but made 6/6 free throws and grabbed 6 rebounds, completing 10 assists with 3 turnovers.

ZagNative
09-29-2017, 02:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clYC_fEtdLs

ZagNative
10-07-2017, 11:33 AM
Ngel's Partizan wins a close one over FMP today, 87-84. (Box Score. (http://www.aba-liga.com/match.php?id=18&sez=17&lea=1&tab=statistic_PlayByPlay)Nigel with 13 points, 6 rebounds, 9 assists(!!), a steal, just 2 turnovers, and a value of 22.

https://i.imgur.com/BPP7PxG.jpg

Higel is #3 in the highlight video below, and it seems like he's involved in every Partizan play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2syCpGS9xU

ZagNative
10-14-2017, 10:26 AM
Chalk up another ABA League win for Partizan today over Zadar, 104-97. Nigel with 8 points, 8 rebounds 8 assists and a steal. Box Score (http://www.aba-liga.com/match.php?id=20&sez=17&lea=1&tab=Overview)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MP7zrxUUT0

Jstock12
10-18-2017, 10:25 AM
The first quarter between Partizan and Lietuvos rytas has just ended. Nigel looks very confident, sometimes even too confident, attempting some very flashy passes, one of which resulted in a turnover.

Jstock12
10-18-2017, 11:15 AM
NWG has looked much much better in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

ZagNative
10-21-2017, 12:24 PM
Nigel is having a heck of a game, as Partizan leads over Igokea 80-68, in an ABA league game, Nigel with 25 points, 4 rebounds, and 5 assists, near the end of the third quarter.

Box score (http://www.aba-liga.com/match-live.php?id=29&sez=17&lea=1&tab=Boxscore&team=home)

http://www.aba-liga.com/copper/albums//userpics/10003/normal_DSC_0885.JPG

ZagNative
10-21-2017, 01:03 PM
Pretty remarkable game for our guy, as Partizan wins it 117-104. Nigel ends with 30 points on 80% shooting, 8 assists, 4 rebounds, and a steal.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMsKRg5XUAAlT7H.jpg:large

https://i.imgur.com/Ku1D1Ca.jpg

ZagNative
10-21-2017, 01:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_6XfG7rA7U

Jstock12
10-22-2017, 01:10 AM
I really hope NWG stays in Europe and doesn't try to become a bench warmer in the NBA. He really seems to be good enough to one day play for teams like Real Madrid or CSKA Moscow. Might carve out a nice career in Europe.

Mojo13
10-23-2017, 10:01 AM
This is as good a start to a pro career I have seen from a recent GU alum.

Keep playing like this and he should be on a EuroLeague team next year easily.

ZagNative
10-24-2017, 11:17 AM
Nigel playing in Eurocup now, Partizan trailing RETABET BILBAO BASKET 42-49 nearing the half, Nigel already with 14 points, three rebounds, two assists.

Box Score (http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/eurocup/games/results/showgame?gamecode=33&seasoncode=U2017)

ZagNative
10-24-2017, 12:30 PM
Good grief! Nigel won that game for Partizan, which prevailed over Bilbao Basket 96-92, with 27 points, 8 rebounds, and 3 assists!

Jstock12
10-24-2017, 12:42 PM
Good grief! Nigel won that game for Partizan, which prevailed over Bilbao Basket 96-92, with 27 points, 8 rebounds, and 3 assists!

https://i.imgur.com/dhMeAzK.gif

ZagNative
10-24-2017, 01:32 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DM7dTnFX4AAIHvj.jpg

ZagNative
10-24-2017, 01:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf2-WLnA70I

Mojo13
10-24-2017, 02:55 PM
The Serbs on Twitter are calling him "Nigel Williams Boss!"

Mojo13
10-26-2017, 08:10 AM

NWG earns Player of the Week Honors in EuroCup for that performance.
https://www.sportando.com/en/cups/eurocup/251535/eurocup-regular-season-round-3-mvp-nigel-williams-goss-partizan-nis-belgrade.html

the way he is playing, he can certainly move up to a EuroLeague team next year.

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-26-2017, 06:25 PM

Love it!

ZagNative
10-27-2017, 10:37 AM
Great game for Nigel today as Partizan takes down Cibona 90-74. Box Score. (http://www.aba-liga.com/match.php?id=33&sez=17&lea=1&tab=Overview)Nigel had 20 points, 4 rebounds, 13 asists(!!!), 2 steals, and 6 TOs.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNKVSfnW0AI8tYz.jpg

Nigel s #3 in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBtHeQl94MI

Mojo13
11-07-2017, 11:13 AM
Utah Jazz draftee Nigel Williams-Goss is straight killin’ it in Europe

https://thejnotes.com/2017/11/05/utah-jazz-nigel-williams-goss-killing-europe/

ZagNative
11-12-2017, 12:20 PM
Another stellar outing for Nigel in a 102-89 ABA League win over Mega Bemax, Nigel with 23 points and 10 assists (Box Score. (http://www.aba-liga.com/match.php?id=46&sez=17&lea=1&tab=Boxscore)). Partizan is #4 in the ABA league standings, with 5 wins and 3 losses. (League Standings) (http://www.aba-liga.com/standings.php)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8pzG39cUec

ZagNative
11-14-2017, 10:57 AM
Nigel now playing in Eurocup as Partizan faces Alba Berlin. Live stats. (http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/eurocup/games/results/showgame?gamecode=68&seasoncode=U2017)

Peyton Siva and Luke Sikma are both on that Alba Berlin team.

ZagNative
11-14-2017, 11:49 AM
Nigel and his Partizan teammates got their butts kicked, as Alba Berlin wins it 96-80, Nigel with 4 pints on 2/10 shooting (ouch!), with 6 assists.

Goshzagit
11-19-2017, 08:39 AM
NWG is currently leading the ABA in assists at 8.3 apg.

Bogozags
12-07-2017, 06:50 AM
Is the season over? Have not read of any updates on here...

Mojo13
12-07-2017, 09:12 AM
Nope. Bit of a break the last two weeks with the FIBA qualifiers but they are back playing again as of early Dec. Also I suspect that those of us who do the "keeping track" are a little distracted with the NCAA season in full force, along with the NBA.
I get into the Europe seasons early on as they start up before North America and I am very curious how these young guys adapt to new teams and leagues. It is clear NWG is playing great, so I lost a little interest. However, I am still tracking Wiltjer closely as he hasn't really got up to speed with Olympiacos yet. He joined late and they are a much better team, so they are integrating him slowly. He is up to about 8-10 minutes a game and not doing much yet statistically.

Bogozags
12-07-2017, 01:15 PM
Nope. Bit of a break the last two weeks with the FIBA qualifiers but they are back playing again as of early Dec. Also I suspect that those of us who do the "keeping track" are a little distracted with the NCAA season in full force, along with the NBA.
I get into the Europe seasons early on as they start up before North America and I am very curious how these young guys adapt to new teams and leagues. It is clear NWG is playing great, so I lost a little interest. However, I am still tracking Wiltjer closely as he hasn't really got up to speed with Olympiacos yet. He joined late and they are a much better team, so they are integrating him slowly. He is up to about 8-10 minutes a game and not doing much yet statistically.

Thank You for all your efforts in keeping us up to date...it is greatly appreciated and hope you find the time to continue keeping us updated.

Again THANK YOU!

ZagNative
12-09-2017, 05:29 PM
Nigel had a terrific game today, with 25 points, 3 rebounds, and 3 assists, unfortunately in a losing effort against Cedevita Zagreb in the ABA League, 82-92. Box Score. (http://www.aba-liga.com/match.php?id=62&sez=17&lea=1&tab=Boxscore)

http://www.aba-liga.com/copper/albums//userpics/10002/normal_tmt_KKP_CEDEVITA4611_01.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXARsKZXgUY

ZagNative
12-13-2017, 06:46 PM
Well, darn ... Partizan lost today to RetAbet Bilbao Basket 67-83 in Round 8 of Eurocup. Box Score. (http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/eurocup/games/results/showgame?gamecode=91&seasoncode=U2017) Nigel with 18 points, 8 rebounds(!), 5 assists, a steal, and only 2 TOa, with a PIR of 29.

Game Story

Previously-eliminated RETAbet Bilbao Basket snapped its six-game losing streak by beating Partizan NIS Belgrade on the road 67-83 on Wednesday night in the Serbian capital. With RETAbet holding 2-6 record and Partizan at 1-7 in Group C, the outcome of this game also eliminated Partizan and promoted Limoges CSP into the Top 16. RETAbet led for the majority of the night and, after Partizan used a strong start to the third quarter to go up 43-40, the visitors answered with 0-12 run, broke the game open and cruised to victory. Lucio Redivo led the RETAbet with 20 points and Mickell Gladness had 15, Ricardo Fischer added 12 and Axel Hervelle collected 11 points plus 9 rebounds for the winners. Nigel Williams-Goss had 18 points, 8 rebounds and 5 assists for Partizan and Novica Velickovic scored 13 in defeat.

Williams-Goss had a par of triples that quickly helped Partizan take an 8-2 early lead, but Alex Mumbru hit from downtown for the visitors and Gladness scored inside, before Dejan Todorovic hit one from close range and one from long range to give RETAbet an 11-15 edge. Partizan went to the free throw line often, but the visitors kept the lead with Redivo scoring a pair to close the first, and two more baskets to open the second quarter before Javi Salgado hit back-to-back triples to help open a 21-34 advantage. The hosts were held without a field goal for more than six minutes to start the second quarter before Aleksandar Aranitovic nailed a triple and Nikola Tanaskovic had a fastbreak dunk. RETAbet went into halftime up 30-38.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzf_1bjox4c