PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Randy Onwuasor will sign with Gonzaga

Reborn
07-31-2017, 03:46 PM
It would be nice if you could help the readers understand why you think he will or will not sign.

This has been the toughest questions for me this summer to answer. And I am still pretty unsure whether he will sign or not. I think a lot about the video I viewed of this game with Montana St in the Conference Tournament. I saw a player who was so very determined to win and gave everything he had to get that victory. He scored over 40 points in a very amazing game. There were 2 or 3 overtimes I think. So I think he's a winner and is the kind of player that Gonzaga likes. He reminds me of Mathews in a way because I feel if he does sign that he will accept the role Few wants him to play. I think he wants to be on a team that makes it to the NCAA Tournament and wants to help Gonzaga go deep into the brackets. I'll never forget that shot Mathews made against West Virginia. The best shot ever made by a Zag and one with the most meaning. I feel Onwuasor has that kind of attitude. I think he could score the winning bucket in an NCAA Tournament. Maybe it would be a foul shot. I think it's a big deal to have a player who can shoot 82% from the foul line. That's a weapon imo. And Onwuasor is a player imo who has the confidence to make that kind of shot.

TexasZagFan
07-31-2017, 04:30 PM
Pardon my bias, but I think we're deep enough at 1-3 this year. I'm sure he's a good player, but he'll be a late arrival, and behind everyone regarding our schemes.

This year's team will need time to gel, but I can't wait for February and March.

thespywhozaggedme
07-31-2017, 06:20 PM
Hope not. He's a high-volume inefficient chucker.

hooter73
07-31-2017, 06:56 PM
I see no reason for him to.

soccerdud
07-31-2017, 07:07 PM
as a pg or in a role anything like what he was at suu? nope. as a byron wesley type role player with better ballhandling? maybe, but i'd rather get another real 5 and play rui and kispert those minutes at the 3.

Coach Crazy
07-31-2017, 09:19 PM
Hope not. He's a high-volume inefficient chucker.

I would like to hear the reasoning on pursuing him. I just don't understand it. Nearly 20 shots per game, and a USG% in the mid 30's. Played nearly 1200 minutes, and was actually a terrible defender.

If the reasoning makes sense...but I don't know what they are expecting? I'd rather give JJ the minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gonzagafan62
07-31-2017, 09:21 PM
I think he should. High inefficient chucked ivtgink is a bit harsh. I don't think they took into consideration what team the kid played for. That's probably a big reason why he chucked so many shots. I also personally do not see how we are so deep 1-3 that we can't add another guard in our lineup for experience. Having another senior would help out our team I think.

Just my opinion

upan8th
07-31-2017, 09:55 PM
From the young man's point of view, as far as playing time, opportunities to stand out for pro scouts, etc. it seems he could do so much better for himself joining another team. How about Oregon St? Lord knows they need all the help they can get.

seacatfan
07-31-2017, 10:22 PM
Just out of curiosity I looked at Oregon St.'s roster. They are FULL. Must have several walk ons, 16 players listed.

Malastein
07-31-2017, 10:40 PM
I'd take him so long as he isn't a potential for being a locker room cancer. If he's happy playing whatever time makes sense given his ability to produce then Gonzaga will be a better team no matter what. Derrick White just went from Diii to the CU to the CU Buffs to the San Antonio Spurs. Not saying he'll be that good, but that sort of question is something we seem to be doing in the offseason no regardless. I'm pretty stoked on next year's roster. I really think they can be close to as good as last year's team. Who knows? They could be better and exceed expectations. Times are good!

MDABE80
08-01-2017, 12:34 AM
Just my opinion but I'm thinking he won't add that much. Love to develop the kids we have. Lotsa young talent already here in our own backyard. Few's collected a very good group 1-3. We're about 1 excellent big away from another deep run. Few makes the decision so we'll see soon enough.

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-01-2017, 02:26 AM
I have no idea whether or not Onwuasor will sign with Gonzaga, but I guess the fact he is coming to campus this week for an official visit means the coaching staff has communicated an interest in having him on the team. That surprises me, but In Coach Few We Trust.

Having said that, my personal preference is that Zags not add any player to current roster other than a traditional low post big to allow JWIII more time at his natural '4' position.

I would rather see Wade, Ayayi and even Kispert get minutes at the 2-3 positions this season then give them to an immediately eligible grad transfer. Zags have been fortunate in bringing in some fantastically high quality transfers who accepted their role and blended seemlessly into the team. As impressive as Wesley and Matthews were in that regard, I suspect most of the credit for those smooth transitions has to go to the maturity and leadership of the veteran players on those teams.

Love Wesley and Matthews and I will continue to trust the coaches, bottom line, but on the whole I am not a fan of the immediately eligible, free-agency sort of feel the grad transfer rule allows. It's a joke to think the moves are about anything other than the basketball team...not about the academic opportunities (at least not for the highest level, big impact transfer players). * I much prefer the traditional route of a player either being recruited and joining as a freshman or transferring in and sitting a year before being eligible to play. This, imho, is a more authentically 'student-athlete' model where the culture of the school and program get to positively shape the young men who in turn learn to embrace a 'team first' mentality. Obviously, there have been and may well continue to be exceptional examples of grad transfer players blending in, helping the team and themselves a la Wesley and Matthews...but on the whole, I am not a fan of the grad transfer route to team improvement.

Zagger
08-01-2017, 04:47 AM
As much as I love Spokane .... we are at a geographical disadvantage to attract a lot of USA 5 tier talent. If we can get great international, transfer & grad transfer talent .... just all that much more paint for Few's canvas. I feel last season's team exemplified that. When it comes to being deep 1-3 - I'd rather the Zags be deep than be shallow to help them through any injury or sickness times.

Worthington
08-01-2017, 08:26 AM
He's a very talented player, but I don't view him as a great fit for our current roster. I guess it depends on what role he's willing to accept, but I imagine, as a 23 point a game scorer and a guy who recently declared for the NBA draft, he's going to want to be a first or second option wherever he goes. The staff will give him realistic expectations for his role next year, and if he chooses us it will mean he's coming here to win basketball games so I'll be happy to have him.

Onwuasor has a visit lined up to South Carolina after us and I actually view them as a great fit for him. Coming off a final four, lost their entire starting back-court, play a physical, grind it out style of basketball. My money is on them to land him.

thespywhozaggedme
08-01-2017, 09:17 AM
He's a very talented player, but I don't view him as a great fit for our current roster. I guess it depends on what role he's willing to accept, but I imagine, as a 23 point a game scorer and a guy who recently declared for the NBA draft, he's going to want to be a first or second option wherever he goes. The staff will give him realistic expectations for his role next year, and if he chooses us it will mean he's coming here to win basketball games so I'll be happy to have him.

Onwuasor has a visit lined up to South Carolina after us and I actually view them as a great fit for him. Coming off a final four, lost their entire starting back-court, play a physical, grind it out style of basketball. My money is on them to land him.

I hope so

maynard g krebs
08-01-2017, 10:54 AM
With the Zags recruiting him, it suggests to me that there's a chance that he can be a different player. Shooting percentages are partly a function of the kind of shots you take; a star on a weak Big Sky team might be forced to take a lot of bad shots out of necessity, and have to take every shot when the clock is winding down.

Last year there was much talk about NWG's 26% from 3 as a UW soph. I was on record as saying he'd at least get back to 36% at GU, because he'd be playing in a better offensive flow and get better shots.

Most of the time, a guard who makes 82% from the line is at least capable of becoming a decent 3 pt shooter. A player like Onwuasor just has to shoot it well enough that you can't sag off him like Meech; if he can get that 30% up to 34-35 or so, just taking wide open ones, that would be good enough.

A guard who can get 6.6 rebounds per game at any level, that's a big plus. Think Hart from Villanova, or NWG. Extra possessions when a guard does that.

I'm not advocating for taking him, just suggesting some possible reasons for the staff's apparent interest. In response to a pm I got, asking what I thought of him, I mentioned Gerard Coleman as a possible downside comparison. But I would think the staff learned from that one.

My preference would be to see Norvell, Kispert, Ayayi, and Wade get all the development time possible, but thankfully people who know a lot more than I do are making the decision.

Reborn
08-01-2017, 10:55 AM
I hope so

If he's thinking about playing in the NBA; I think you may right. I did not know he had any thoughts about his desire to play in the NBA. So. Carolina really could be a good fit for him. I think he has interest from Oregon too.

Bogozags
08-01-2017, 11:11 AM

I remember Wesley playing for USC and was the leading scorer...had to take so many shots as he was the man...Onwuasor was also the man but as a quality player, he can fit in here as well as USC, which doesn't have the talent to return...they already have a transfer guard that hopes to be starting this fall too...

kitzbuel
08-01-2017, 04:11 PM
I have no idea whether or not Onwuasor will sign with Gonzaga, but I guess the fact he is coming to campus this week for an official visit means the coaching staff has communicated an interest in having him on the team. That surprises me, but In Coach Few We Trust.

Having said that, my personal preference is that Zags not add any player to current roster other than a traditional low post big to allow JWIII more time at his natural '4' position.

I would rather see Wade, Ayayi and even Kispert get minutes at the 2-3 positions this season then give them to an immediately eligible grad transfer. Zags have been fortunate in bringing in some fantastically high quality transfers who accepted their role and blended seemlessly into the team. As impressive as Wesley and Matthews were in that regard, I suspect most of the credit for those smooth transitions has to go to the maturity and leadership of the veteran players on those teams.

Love Wesley and Matthews and I will continue to trust the coaches, bottom line, but on the whole I am not a fan of the immediately eligible, free-agency sort of feel the grad transfer rule allows. It's a joke to think the moves are about anything other than the basketball team...not about the academic opportunities (at least not for the highest level, big impact transfer players). * I much prefer the traditional route of a player either being recruited and joining as a freshman or transferring in and sitting a year before being eligible to play. This, imho, is a more authentically 'student-athlete' model where the culture of the school and program get to positively shape the young men who in turn learn to embrace a 'team first' mentality. Obviously, there have been and may well continue to be exceptional examples of grad transfer players blending in, helping the team and themselves a la Wesley and Matthews...but on the whole, I am not a fan of the grad transfer route to team improvement.

I actually think it puts more control back in the player's hands. The loss of amateurism is not their fault, it is NCAA that is wringing every last penny from their efforts. I am in favor of things that give players power over their own careers.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

cjm720
08-01-2017, 08:54 PM
We lose two very experienced guards in NWG and Matthews. I would love to add another...guards are key to advance deep IMO. He's an aggressive, hungry player. If he's a team player, leader this will only our squad, now and down the road.

willandi
08-01-2017, 09:06 PM
We lose two very experienced guards in NWG and Matthews. I would love to add another...guards are key to advance deep IMO. He's an aggressive, hungry player. If he's a team player, leader this will only our squad, now and down the road.

Whose time would you want him to take? It seems to me that the 1 through 3 are positions that the Zags have covered. I expect great seasons from Melson and Perkins, am excited to see what Norvell and Wade bring to the table, don't know much about Ayayi, and we have Rui, Kispert and Jones for the 3.

There are just so many minutes, and I think the backcourt is covered. Just my opinion.

cjm720
08-01-2017, 09:51 PM
Just hedging my bets, Will! Can't have too many guards and experience matters but I do have a hunch about our frosh...but you can't disagree with coach's track record with immediate transfers. Should be a fun year no matter...

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-02-2017, 02:15 AM
I actually think it puts more control back in the player's hands. The loss of amateurism is not their fault, it is NCAA that is wringing every last penny from their efforts. I am in favor of things that give players power over their own careers.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I have no problem with the players using the rule to their advantage, I just think the rule itself is blatantly hypocritical of the NCAA and the institutions of higher education. It is much less about opening doors to new educational opportunities for the student athletes than it is about improving the marketable product (intrigue; story lines) that is college basketball.

dhozagfan08
08-02-2017, 08:36 AM
Whose time would you want him to take? It seems to me that the 1 through 3 are positions that the Zags have covered. I expect great seasons from Melson and Perkins, am excited to see what Norvell and Wade bring to the table, don't know much about Ayayi, and we have Rui, Kispert and Jones for the 3.

There are just so many minutes, and I think the backcourt is covered. Just my opinion.

I would argue he wouldn't be "taking" anyone's minutes. Outside of the 4 returning core players from last year (jp, sm, jw, and kt) no one has earned those minutes yet. I get what you are saying, but it's just like with melson losing minutes to Mathews last year. We need the best, most experienced players out there. The younger guys will get their chance.

btzag
08-02-2017, 08:43 AM
I would argue he wouldn't be "taking" anyone's minutes. Outside of the 4 returning core players from last year (jp, sm, jw, and kt) no one has earned those minutes yet. I get what you are saying, but it's just like with melson losing minutes to Mathews last year. We need the best, most experienced players out there. The younger guys will get their chance.

Good post. Obviously summertime is full of optimism but potential does not always equal production.

JPtheBeasta
08-02-2017, 03:56 PM
Did Onwuasor make his official visit?

Reborn
08-02-2017, 05:27 PM
Did Onwuasor make his official visit?

I have been wondering about that too. I think a lot of us have been waiting to hear. I've been waiting since yesterday to hear about whether he signed or not. I am not sure what it means to NOT hear something about whether or not he signed. I'm guessing that he DID NOT sign while at GU. There is the saying that "no news is good news." So I'm interpreting this often used quote that for some reason Onwuasor did not sign.

bartruff1
08-02-2017, 07:52 PM
My sources tell me he will play football like his older brother...

Reborn
08-02-2017, 08:16 PM
Since we haven't heard anything officially I even wonder now if he even came. Not a single post saying he came. That is very odd. Imo the Zags will be better without him. Heck I have't even figured out how to fit Jones into the puzzle. I'm sure Jones has more to offer than Onwuasor. In the picture on the flex post Jones looks the part of a very good athlete. He has the size to play the three for sure. Most likely Onwuasor would have taken about 20 minutes from the players that the Zags already have. I think players like Kispert; Wade; Larsen; Tillie and either Jones or Ayayi could really use those minutes to help build their game.

zagfan1
08-03-2017, 07:33 AM
I hope he signs. You always need competition to push the rest of the team. He will do that. It's like the Seahawks having 9 running backs competing for one starting spot. Yeah they already have Eddie Lacy and Thomas Rawls and CJ Procise. However, they understand the need to push this competition all the way through. So I would be careful to easily dismiss the value he could bring to the team.

willandi
08-03-2017, 07:52 AM
I hope he signs. You always need competition to push the rest of the team. He will do that. It's like the Seahawks having 9 running backs competing for one starting spot. Yeah they already have Eddie Lacy and Thomas Rawls and CJ Procise. However, they understand the need to push this competition all the way through. So I would be careful to easily dismiss the value he could bring to the team.

The difference is, the Seahawks can cut somebody and be out little or nothing. The Zags offer a schollie and, if it is accepted, have that slot filled for the year.

I agree about the pushing, but we have a large contingent of 1-3 already.

thebigsmoove
08-03-2017, 09:24 AM
The difference is, the Seahawks can cut somebody and be out little or nothing. The Zags offer a schollie and, if it is accepted, have that slot filled for the year.

I agree about the pushing, but we have a large contingent of 1-3 already.

Who else is realistically gonna fill that spot? I dont see why everyone thinks having another experienced guard in a very inexperienced backcourt is a bad thing?

Really having a guy like Onwuasor come in and provide 20 minutes would be a plus IMO.

TexasZagFan
08-03-2017, 09:31 AM
Who else is realistically gonna fill that spot? I dont see why everyone thinks having another experienced guard in a very inexperienced backcourt is a bad thing?

Really having a guy like Onwuasor come in and provide 20 minutes would be a plus IMO.

"Very" inexperienced backcourt? Not as far as I'm concerned. Plus, I think our additions this year are more talented than this potential graduate transfer.

thebigsmoove
08-03-2017, 09:37 AM
"Very" inexperienced backcourt? Not as far as I'm concerned. Plus, I think our additions this year are more talented than this potential graduate transfer.

so 3 backcourt players who have no collegiate experience is good depth in your opinion? Because that is all we have behind Perk and Smelson.

No disputing their talent, but Freshman are freshman.

willandi
08-03-2017, 09:54 AM
so 3 backcourt players who have no collegiate experience is good depth in your opinion? Because that is all we have behind Perk and Smelson.

Well, we do have one that has practiced with the team for a year, so knows the system, one that has played international ball, a bit bigger stage than Big Sky, and one that has taken his mission and has been on campus and practicing with, and against, this years and past years teams. They may not have college experience, but are definitely experienced. Then we have our point center, Rui.

Perkins was doing pretty good as a frosh before the broken jaw. Pangos did pretty good as a frosh, as did Bell. The list of really good freshmen at Gonzaga goes on. These are not the scrapings from the bottom of the barrel, but the creme de la creme.

Personally, I think we do great with what we have. If he signs, I can accept that too. I just don't see it as a need. If he signs, and a big Euro or Grad transfer comes forward and we don't have a slot, I would be more upset than if he doesn't sign, albeit we probably would never know about the big.

btzag
08-03-2017, 10:45 AM

I'm with you on this debate. IF everything with ALL the newcomers goes perfectly, meaning Wade, Zach, Ayayi, CK and even Rui pick up the system well and are ready to produce on a top 15 team, then we would not need a transfer. But I don't think the staff ever bets on that which is why these transfers are brought in. Even if both things happen it's a good problem to have or you start to see separation from a Wesley/Melson/Matthews level compared to Alberts who is still a really good player, just not elite D1.

maynard g krebs
08-03-2017, 11:48 AM
Freshman are freshman.

I disagree. Some freshmen need time to develop. Others are ready from day 1. I believe that's the case w/ Kispert and Norvell. I'm almost sure of it.

zagfan1
08-03-2017, 12:22 PM
I disagree. Some freshmen need time to develop. Others are ready from day 1. I believe that's the case w/ Kispert and Norvell. I'm almost sure of it.

I also believe that Kispert is the real deal. It all depends on if we get any more bigs. If we don't get any more bigs, Rui will likely play at the 4 position which means there is Kispert plus need one guard to move to the three. No matter what we need 4 guards for the one and two spots. Currently we have Perkins, Melson, Norvell, and Wade. Onwuasor could come in and play the three, one, or two spots depending on how Few wants to structure it. If you don't get a big then the math works out for Onwuasor to come in and get at least some minutes or more depending how things play out with the competition.

zagfan1
08-03-2017, 12:30 PM
Adding one additional thought. I bet Few wants Onawuasor to start at the three and have Kispert come off the bench like what we did with Collins. The other four stay at the one and two positions. That way you have experience st all positions. Note that also means Tillie will be at the five spot ahead of Larson. Rui will behind Williams.

TexasZagFan
08-04-2017, 05:28 AM

I agree, they need minutes in those early games. Quite a few bugs to work out before conference play. This team will be much better in March than November.

Inexperienced freshmen don't seem to be a problem for Cal or K, but that's another matter.

509er
08-04-2017, 05:48 AM
I agree, they need minutes in those early games. Quite a few bugs to work out before conference play. This team will be much better in March than November.

Inexperienced freshmen don't seem to be a problem for Cal or K, but that's another matter.

GU will be 1 or 2 in the WCC with or without this guy. Where he comes in handy is non-conference when it's critical to pick up wins for seeding in March. Let the freshmen develop in the lesser non conference games and during WCC play but if he gives GU a better chance to win in November and December, sign him up. The difference between being a 4 seed or an 8 could be 1 or 2 wins against highly ranked opponents early.

Reborn
08-04-2017, 06:16 AM
Has Gonzaga ever had a player who did not sign after his official visit?

thebigsmoove
08-04-2017, 07:17 AM
Has Gonzaga ever had a player who did not sign after his official visit?

Yeah all the time, recently Elijah Brown comes to mind. Pretty sure Chase Jeter visited as well and then signed with Arizona.

zagsfanforlife
08-04-2017, 09:46 AM
Yeah all the time, recently Elijah Brown comes to mind. Pretty sure Chase Jeter visited as well and then signed with Arizona.

Think he meant that have they ever ended up signing with GU, when they didnt sign on their official visit.

Reborn
08-04-2017, 09:49 AM
Is there anyone who did not sign to play for Gonzaga on their official visit; but signed at a later dated and ended up being a Zag?
has anyone who has played for Gonzaga

btzag
08-04-2017, 11:21 AM
Is there anyone who did not sign to play for Gonzaga on their official visit; but signed at a later dated and ended up being a Zag?
has anyone who has played for Gonzaga

I think plenty of guys signed after their visit, not during their visit. The most visible was Josh Perkins who selected the zags on tv from Colorado.

Reborn
08-04-2017, 12:58 PM
I think plenty of guys signed after their visit, not during their visit. The most visible was Josh Perkins who selected the zags on tv from Colorado.

thanks

DukeSilver
08-05-2017, 11:39 AM
Committed to LSU, per Jon Rothstein.