PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Palm's Too-Early Bracketology

ZagNative
07-28-2017, 01:56 PM
I enjoyed reading this post: https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/too-early-for-bracketology-dont-be-ridiculous-and-enjoy-end-of-july-madness/

Palm has the Zags as a 4-seed in the west and St. Mary's as a 5-Seed in the midwest.

Curious to hear Maynard's take on this ...

maynard g krebs
07-28-2017, 02:10 PM
I enjoyed reading this post: https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/too-early-for-bracketology-dont-be-ridiculous-and-enjoy-end-of-july-madness/

Palm has the Zags as a 4-seed in the west and St. Mary's as a 5-Seed in the midwest.

Curious to hear Maynard's take on this ...

There are probably a hundred people here who follow the national picture more closely than I do, but fwiw GU as a 4 and SMC as a 5 sounds to me like as good a call as any at this pt.

Funny he has GU meeting UCLA in 2nd rd, and then UA in s 16.

Everybody is sleeping on Oregon imo; BPI and now Palm has them an 11. I bet they're around a 6-7 by tourney time, if not a bit better. Pac needs to get more than his projected 4. And w/ GU and SMC being pretty much locks, it would be great to see BYU have a good enough noncon to get 3 from the WCC, but BYU never fails to disappoint, given the number of off season predictions that each year will be the one where they supplant SMC as number 2.

And as much as I always like SMC's teams, I'm pretty confident GU is good enough to take another conference crown.

ETA- I think SMC will miss Rahon a lot; thought he had a great year and Naar regressed a bit. It's a hole to fill and a ? mark in my mind; w/o Rahon on the floor they were pretty vulnerable to VCU's pressure. But I'd bet on Randy figuring it out.

ZagNative
07-28-2017, 02:14 PM
Maynard never disappoints ...

BayAreaZagFan
07-28-2017, 03:59 PM

Tough match-up that early, but I like our chances. I need this (or some variation of this) to happen - I have great seats at the Staples Center for the Sweet Sixteen, and I'd hate to waste them watching some teams I have no real interest in.

amaronizag
07-29-2017, 06:38 AM
It's soooo early to be predicting brackets that what Palm predicts is meaningless, but holy crap!!! That West bracket is a crazy tough route to the FF.

Reborn
07-29-2017, 07:14 AM
Thanks ZagNative for the Post. I'm one who does like to look at and study brackets; even those that come out this early. It's good to see where someone like Jerry Palm thinks teams will be placed in next years tournament. I feel that for now being placed as a 4 seed is good. It was also good to see St Mary's in the tournament; but even more so it was nice seeing Northwestern back in; and West Virginia too. Palm has West Virginia as a 3 seed. Michigan St looks like they're supposed to be pretty good once again. The other thing that I found interesting is how many teams that are in the Tournament this Fall in Portland are placed in Palms NCAA Tournament next March. We are scheduled to play Florida 2nd in that tournament in Portland and Palm has them seeded 3rd in his bracket. Duke is also in our bracket in the Portland Tournament. That's going to be a great tournament.

MDABE80
07-29-2017, 10:34 AM
Although, many of our players will be new, this is quite amazing that the Zags get a 4 seed. Of course the ranking this early means little, at least Palm knows we're in this due to analysis of remaining players and the new ones as well. We could have been given a 13 seed or something very low but Palm's done some homework on the Zags. It's good to see.
SMC winning the conference? They could. Easily. Lots comes back. Their bigs are very very good. Joe Rahon is a big loss though.