PDA

View Full Version : Here are some questions that I have about next year

Reborn
07-26-2017, 02:55 PM
Here are some questions I think about a lot. Do we have a guy on next years team like NWG? Do we have rim protectors like Karnowski an Collins? Can we play defense like we did last year? Will we be able to shoot effectively from beyond the 3 point line? Will we have a bench that is as good as last year's? And finally, will Coach Few be able to sign another player? Or do we need anyone else?

adoptedzag
07-26-2017, 02:56 PM
Here are some questions I think about a lot. Do we have a guy on next years team like NWG? Do we have rim protectors like Karnowski an Collins? Can we play defense like we did last year? Will we be able to shoot effectively from beyond the 3 point line.

No, somewhat, no, probably.

jazzdelmar
07-26-2017, 02:58 PM
No, no, hopefully, definitely.

gonzagafan62
07-26-2017, 03:07 PM
No no no maybe

Reborn
07-26-2017, 03:33 PM
Ok Thanks. Who is the closest to being the go-to guy? The guy who can create his own shot and score. The guy who can average 16 ppg. I think we need a guy like that if we want to make it past the first weekend.

gonzagafan62
07-26-2017, 04:41 PM
Ok Thanks. Who is the closest to being the go-to guy? The guy who can create his own shot and score. The guy who can average 16 ppg. I think we need a guy like that if we want to make it past the first weekend.

JW3 and Rui IMO. I think Perk has that potential and we saw it at the end of 2016. He might really have to be the guy, but playing PG he'd have to create his own shot and I have a concern there

cggonzaga
07-26-2017, 04:47 PM

I think we have 3 of those guys in Perkins, Melson and Norvell. I would even suggest JWIII and Tillie as they'll be matchup nightmares.

Reborn
07-26-2017, 06:53 PM
I was really impressed with Rui in that FIBA tournament. I think by the end of the season he and the team will figure things out. And mostly the coaches will figure it out. Rui, is so much more than a scorer, imo. If you watched his games you'd agree. I was so impressed with his unselfishness, and his desire and ability to pass and include his teammates. Yes. I agree with Tommy that Rui could have some huge scoring games like the player from Canada did. However, Rui was working on other parts of his game over there. His ability to execute a full court offensive attack is clear. He can handle the ball, he's got speed, and l said he can pass. Those two 3 pointers that he made at the end of the game with Italy were just awesome. Mathews like. and oh, by the way Italy placed 2nd in the tournament and thanks to Rui Japan almost beat them. I think the other good scorer is going to be Norvell.

Malastein
07-27-2017, 03:48 AM
I'd be realistically shocked if the bench play wasn't stronger next year. I don't want to talk down on Collins, but it's not like he was playing 25 minutes a night off the bench. I can't imagine replacing the same value at the center position as we had in Karnowski and Collins. Tillie looks like a guy who came and will replace a lot though, and Larsen sounds like he could also be set to leave the university earlier than naught. The potential along the perimeter seems to be there as well, but it all come down to who is really going to bring it. NWG will always be the man for having done so, and hopefully he inspired the next generation to copy him. Even with the losses, it feels like the time is coming. I talked to some high level Kentucky fans recently, and they said they'd be shocked if Gonzaga didn't win one sooner than not. Cali park has a tougher job putting together almost entirely new teams every year. Gonzaga has been rising with years of dedication from its player's commitment long term. It'll pay off sooner than not...

Reborn
07-27-2017, 06:31 AM
Thanks for a very nice post, Malestein. I appreciate it. Wouldn't you just love to have Cal Park's problems? hahahaha I'll begin with the easiest question for me to comment on. I think the Zags will have another real good defensive team. The players returning next year are all good defensive players, led by JW3 and Melson. From what I saw last season, and this summer at FIBA, I believe Tillie is also a real good D player. I see a similar kind of toughness and intensity that Sabonis had.

Right now we don't have two 7 foot centers who are very good on defense. In fact we don't even have one. It's been a long time since we haven't had a seven footer on our team; so it's going to be interesting to see how the Zags come up with a plan on how to defend the rim.

In time I think our bench will be really good, and I think a notch above last years. Initially, I think the bench may struggle some because I think most will all be Freshmen, unless Larsen or Rui starts than Tillie would once again be coming off of the bench. The good news is that we have a lot of talented players who will be coming off the bench and who will contribute while on the court. So in time, this is going to be a really good bench.

I think this could be the best 3 point shooting team we've ever had, and this will help the Zags because I feel we'll be a little weaker on defense next year.

I've saved the two toughest questions for last. Is there a first or second team All-American on this team? Is there a player who can take the game into his hands in the last 3 minutes of a game and pull out another amazing victory in a very tough game? Is there star in the making on this team? Of course I can't know the answer to that until about half way through the season, but because it's summer and we're into predicting I'll try to do my best. At the end of the next season I think the brightest star will be Jonathan Williams. He will also be our leader, along with Melson. I say our brightest start because I do think there is going to be some other bright stars next year, Kispert, Rui and Norvell.

I do believe Few is going to sign at least one more player and maybe two. We have scholarships left so why not use them. I would love it if Few could sign either Onsuaror or Hawkins, or a Euro. Yes I do think we need one more quality player.

titopoet
07-27-2017, 08:56 AM
Few has always shown an agile ability to adjust to his personal. This team will probably run more than last year and get more transition buckets. Also, while the D will adjust without Karno's space eating abilities, this team still boast Melson, one of the best perimeter D guys in GU history, JWIII who can guard 1-4, Tillie, the ultimate utility guy and Josh Perkins a very good defender. I also see a team that will press more (though not in Press Virgina but the annoyance press that Few has used before and it will be more effective with these team). It will be a different team, but if some of the younger players step it up, the potential for being an outstanding team is there... again.

Zags_Fanatic
07-27-2017, 09:33 AM
I'm not sure the role is his for the taking this year, but Jesse Wade is going to be a great leader like NWG and Pangos. He may be new to the team but he has maturity beyond his years and an incredible work ethic. It might take time for him to be able to be the vocal leader but I really look forward to seeing him develop into the defacto leader of this program on and off the court.

In terms of proven leadership, I think Melson proved his leadership in high school when he banded his team together at Jefferson to win the state title after all but 6 players were suspended for the championship game. It isn't a role he has needed to step into yet, but the potential is definitely there and he has been killing it on the court in scrimmages. I think we are going to see Perks/Melson develop into the upperclassmen co-leaders this season.

amaronizag
07-27-2017, 11:20 AM
I think Larsen will work into the starting lineup in December. He and J3 will provide good rim protection with help from Tillie and Rui. Rui and Tille are both foul prone and we can expect freshman Larsen to have the same problem (like all first year players). Unless we get another big to sub for Larsen, I think we'll be serviceable, but thin in the front court. I think we will play solid defense and expect SM, ZN, JP, JW, CK, JA will do just fine on defense in the back court. We already know the perimeter shooting will be even better than last year. I think we're more athletic, better free throw shooting, the ball handling/TO's will be as good and maybe better this year. AND, we still have some players to add!!! I expect Norvel and J3 to average the most points per game with plenty of others capable of being in double figures every night.

ZagMan in Philly
08-01-2017, 03:02 PM
one question we don't have to worry about is "are they in shape"?
Check out @Jeremy_Jones2's Tweet: https://twitter.com/Jeremy_Jones2/status/892471194091257856?s=01

Ezag
08-01-2017, 03:16 PM
Here are some questions I think about a lot. Do we have a guy on next years team like NWG? Do we have rim protectors like Karnowski an Collins? Can we play defense like we did last year? Will we be able to shoot effectively from beyond the 3 point line? Will we have a bench that is as good as last year's? And finally, will Coach Few be able to sign another player? Or do we need anyone else?

Nope, we're fu**ed!

DixieZag
08-03-2017, 07:26 PM
No, no, hopefully, definitely.

I am not necessarily disagreeing, but what's your basis for saying we can't play as good a defense? Even though Illie doesn't have the overall size, height of Karno/Collins, he's much higher in the air blocking shots, JWIII, same, Melson always solid, Perkins not weak at all, and Norvelle has size and looks strong.

I had thought the biggest reason we played better defense was the coaches either learned (from one of the coaches brought in to assist, or re-emphasized transition defense, they extended further out in half-court sets to contest 3s better - and yes, here's where it may be harder, rim protection. But the first 2 should transfer to this year solidly. What's your hunch?

And you know we'll kill it from 3, the "hopefully" isn't that big a stretch. :)

DixieZag
08-03-2017, 07:29 PM
I'm not sure the role is his for the taking this year, but Jesse Wade is going to be a great leader like NWG and Pangos. He may be new to the team but he has maturity beyond his years and an incredible work ethic. It might take time for him to be able to be the vocal leader but I really look forward to seeing him develop into the defacto leader of this program on and off the court.

In terms of proven leadership, I think Melson proved his leadership in high school when he banded his team together at Jefferson to win the state title after all but 6 players were suspended for the championship game. It isn't a role he has needed to step into yet, but the potential is definitely there and he has been killing it on the court in scrimmages. I think we are going to see Perks/Melson develop into the upperclassmen co-leaders this season.

He may be a great leader, but I think leadership like NWG comes around every decade or so, if that, even.

Just for fun, anyone want to name the last guy who provided that level of leadership? Not saying Pangos wasn't great (so was Bell), just saying NWG .....

Reborn
08-03-2017, 08:46 PM
He may be a great leader, but I think leadership like NWG comes around every decade or so, if that, even.

Just for fun, anyone want to name the last guy who provided that level of leadership? Not saying Pangos wasn't great (so was Bell), just saying NWG .....

I put the following Gonzaga players in the same class as NWG: Adam Morrison (who I believe is the best leader Gonzaga ever had). Dan Dickau; Robert Sacre; Santangelo his Junior year. Unfortunately he got mono just before his senior season. Roney Turiof; Stephen Gray; Kevin Pangos for sure; unfortunately Kevin had to play hurt way too often. Kelly Olynyk. I imagine many will disagree but I really liked Kyle Wiltjer a lot. He certainly carried the team on his shoulders at times the way NWG and Adam Morrison did. And my last player is Mr Pangos who I really really loved too.

As you can see I don't put NWG in a class all by himself. He was a huge part of the success the Zags had this year; but he is not the only reason the team made it to the Final Four. I think Mount K was as much of a leader as NWG was.

MDABE80
08-03-2017, 10:30 PM
No, no, hopefully, definitely.................. On this last point, we weren't exactly deadeyes fro 3 this past year. I do think Josh will shoot better. I'm pretty sure Jesse will fill it up from the outside if he gets minutes. So far Silas is hot and cold. Norvelle should be very very good. Not sure when Joel Ayayi will land be he's a great shooter. As for Kispert, not enough known right now.
3 pt shooting should be better but lots depends who's at the PG slot.

jazzdelmar
08-04-2017, 03:36 AM

Pure leaders have been rare. Ammo was not a leader imo, but the best when it comes to wanting that last shot. Being cerebral, inspirational and talented just two stand out for me, Matt S and DD.

Reborn
08-04-2017, 05:16 AM
I do think Josh will shoot better. I'm pretty sure Jesse will fill it up from the outside if he gets minutes. So far Silas is hot and cold. Norvelle should be very very good. Not sure when Joel Ayayi will land be he's a great shooter. As for Kispert, not enough known right now.
3 pt shooting should be better but lots depends who's at the PG slot.

I agree Doc. I think we should have very good outside shooters. At least I hope so. Not all shooters who were good in HS will be good in college. Shooting is all about confidence and good mechanics. Some players lose the confidence they had in HS for some reason.

TravelinZag
08-04-2017, 06:50 AM

No. No. Not initially, but potential. Yes! Yes. Who knows? Yes, still have needs, especially post.

Reborn
08-04-2017, 03:38 PM
I just finished watching the Gonzaga vs North Carolina in the championship game last year. Gosh what a great feeling I had and still have. Just to remember what it felt like to see GU in that final. Unbelievable. What a journey it has been. Zags played good and could definitely have won that game. Anyway....As I watched the game I could really see that the Zags are not going to be big next year; and when Tillie and William3 were in together they had problems down low. Also Tillie had a very hard time scoring. I hope he has gotten bigger and stronger. The longer I watched the game the more I kept thinking about Larsen; and all I can do is hope that he can defend the basket; and have some ability to score down low.

The Zags had an advantage at the three guard positions; and they should have that again next year. Our defense kept us in that game because both NWG and Karnowski underperformed. I think we will have a good defense next year as well; and we'll be big in the guard positions. Norvell is 6'5" (bigger than Goss) and Kispert 6'6" (2 or 3 inches taller than Williams. I also played close attention to Perkins; and he played a very good game. He played the point more than NWG and scored 13 points. Outside those two turnovers at the beginning of the 2nd half he did a great job running the offense. We will have a very good point guard next year IMO. It was so wonderful and so awesome to see our Zags in the finals. I think the experience our guys had there will carry over to next year. They know what it takes to get there now. Can they do it again?

Reborn
08-05-2017, 07:10 AM
I ended up watching all the games the Zags played in the tournament. It was fun. JW3 really played great and is going to be even better this year. Melson had a real good tournament both offensively and defensively. I think he's going to be somewhat of a surprise this year and I think his role will expand quite a bit. He could be our highest scorer this year. I feel good about Perkins at the point. He has no problem at all running the offense. He should also be able to score 10 ppg. Tillie will be one of our toughest players; and that's fantastic. He didn't score much last year but it wasn't his role. He will score more this year for sure. This is the foundation of our team and it's a strong one to build on.

kitzbuel
08-05-2017, 07:27 AM
Pure leaders have been rare. Ammo was not a leader imo, but the best when it comes to wanting that last shot. Being cerebral, inspirational and talented just two stand out for me, Matt S and DD.

I would put NWG there as well.

former1dog
08-05-2017, 08:01 AM
I ended up watching all the games the Zags played in the tournament. It was fun. JW3 really played great and is going to be even better this year. Melson had a real good tournament both offensively and defensively. I think he's going to be somewhat of a surprise this year and I think his role will expand quite a bit. He could be our highest scorer this year. I feel good about Perkins at the point. He has no problem at all running the offense. He should also be able to score 10 ppg. Tillie will be one of our toughest players; and that's fantastic. He didn't score much last year but it wasn't his role. He will score more this year for sure. This is the foundation of our team and it's a strong one to build on.

I re watched the Florida game from the AdvoCare tournament early in the season last year.

The four you described played extensive minutes together in the second half of a close (come from behind) victory against a very good Florida team. Melson and Williams especially had clutch scoring plays in the second half. Perkins scoring helped to prevent Florida from blowing us out early in the game and then his assists helped to bring us back in the second half.

Tillie played a lot due to foul trouble for Karnowski and then Collins. He did more than hold his own.

Williams was clutch against Florida and got player of the game honors from ESPN.

We're in good shape with those players!

NotoriousZ
08-05-2017, 11:29 AM
I re watched the Florida game from the AdvoCare tournament early in the season last year.

The four you described played extensive minutes together in the second half of a close (come from behind) victory against a very good Florida team. Melson and Williams especially had clutch scoring plays in the second half. Perkins scoring helped to prevent Florida from blowing us out early in the game and then his assists helped to bring us back in the second half.

Tillie played a lot due to foul trouble for Karnowski and then Collins. He did more than hold his own.

Williams was clutch against Florida and got player of the game honors from ESPN.

+1 Melson and JW3 will be huge for us this year. And I also thought Florida was one of the best teams we played last season.

I think Norvell and Perkins will share point guard duties for this very fast paced Gonzaga team. And with Wade off the bench, we will basically have two point guards on the court at all times.

Melson, Kispert, and Rui could give us our most successful results from the small forward spot (except Ammo's last year).

No way will we match last year's production from the five, but I'm looking forward to an even more up and down style of play.

Don't think we'll have just one go to guy in the clutch, but if we do I'll venture that it will be Norvell.

Zagger
08-05-2017, 12:53 PM

Like NWG? .... someone is going to step up so I'd say there's a good likelihood a Zag will shine in at least the leadership dept. as NWG did.

Rim protectors .... We know Williams can swat. I'm thinking we'll see some awesome D by Rui too (by mid-late season). My most unknown in this D/Rim category is Larsen. Larsen could be huge on D. Tillie will likely have a stepped up game. Hard nut to crack at this point. My hopes are high though.

Play D .... With Melson and Williams as good role models I'd say Zag D is likely to shine.

3 point line .... Bet it improves over last season and we may very well see a lot more 3s taken.

Bench .... I'd say we'll have good depth. I think both Rui and Tillie will be noticeably improved players. If some of the new guys can bring it on too .... we'll wear out a few teams with fresh Zags regularly on the floor.

Sign another player? A lot can happen in a short amount of time. I think it's better than 50/50 that we'll be well stocked this season.

Hoopaholic
08-06-2017, 08:18 AM
Like NWG? .... someone is going to step up so I'd say there's a good likelihood a Zag will shine in at least the leadership dept. as NWG did.

Rim protectors .... We know Williams can swat. I'm thinking we'll see some awesome D by Rui too (by mid-late season). My most unknown in this D/Rim category is Larsen. Larsen could be huge on D. Tillie will likely have a stepped up game. Hard nut to crack at this point. My hopes are high though.

Play D .... With Melson and Williams as good role models I'd say Zag D is likely to shine.

3 point line .... Bet it improves over last season and we may very well see a lot more 3s taken.

Bench .... I'd say we'll have good depth. I think both Rui and Tillie will be noticeably improved players. If some of the new guys can bring it on too .... we'll wear out a few teams with fresh Zags regularly on the floor.

Sign another player? A lot can happen in a short amount of time. I think it's better than 50/50 that we'll be well stocked this season.

Agree with much of what you say....three ball will play right into our explosive ability to rebound exceptionally well out of our area this coming season

MickMick
08-06-2017, 06:51 PM
It will be tough to match last season. The biggest drop off will be on defense. This drop off will be measurable and quantified by KenPom. Mathews and Goss were both excellent "on ball" defenders and Zach Collins was the Zag's best rim protector/hedger since Robert Sacre.

Reborn
08-07-2017, 06:09 AM

great post; and this should give us a lot of hope for next year. Florida was a very good team and will be so again this year. JW3 seemed to have his best games against the toughest teams. I think he's going to be really good this year.