PDA

View Full Version : Who Starts at the 3 Next Season?

Worthington
07-26-2017, 09:48 AM
Assuming that Josh Perkins and Silas Melson start at the 1/2, is it Rui Hachimura, Zach Norvell, or Corey Kispert? (Barring a transfer)

I've gone back and forth on this question many times in the past couple months, but I've settled on Corey Kispert. This is partly spurred by the glowing reports that we have heard from those who have attended scrimmages, but mainly from the footage I have seen and the excellent fit that I feel he brings to the starting lineup. Kispert just checks so many boxes. He's got the size for the position, the athleticism to play above the rim, is a knock down three point shooter, can slash and create his own shot, and he's a high IQ player who excels in a system. He does not look or play like a college freshman, his body is ready for this level, and he's proved that he can go toe to toe with NBA pros and hold his own (Seattle Pro-Am vs Jamal Crawford and Terrence Williams). This may be considered a 'bold' prediction to some considering Kispert comes in as a borderline top 100 recruit, but I've begun to operate with the belief Kispert that in hindsight will be looked as more of a top 40 type talent from his class.

Hope this is not taken as a knock against Hachimura or Norvell, I still think it's entirely possible that one of them could win the starting position as well. In the event that I'm right, I see them as the first two off the bench.

Edited to add - I don't think Kispert will start the season as a starter, but I believe he will end as one.

Kiddwell
07-26-2017, 10:00 AM
Rui's going to emerge during the OOC, be SPECTACULAR during conference, boost our heinies to (and past) the Sweet Sixteen!

:000tens:

:]

Zags_Fanatic
07-26-2017, 10:11 AM
I think we are looking at some very fluid lineups with Perk/Melson/Wade as the guards and Norvell floating between the 2 and 3 depending on lineups. I see Rui starting at the 3 but also floating over to the 4 depending on who else is on the floor. It will be an interesting year with some potential growing pains but I think everyone will find their role quickly. It's already going to be hard to fit Ayayi into the rotation, going to be very difficult if the So. Utah kid transfers in.

bartruff1
07-26-2017, 10:13 AM
Of those three.... Norvel is the clear favorite....I really can't imagine the other 2 starting this year....but, I haven't seen any of the newcomers play...and there maybe some transfers...

If Jesses is actually good enough to start....that could be a major factor on who plays where.....

maynard g krebs
07-26-2017, 10:14 AM
Agree w/ everything you say about Kispert, but Norvell is just as good and has been in the program for a year. I think both are really top 30 type players. Hard to say if Few will start the true fr. All things being equal, the older player (was going to say upperclassman, but that doesn't apply here) starts, according to history.

Never had wing size, talent and depth like this before. I think we could see all 3 on the floor together at times, with Norvell at the 2, Kispert the 3, and Rui the 4, but the latter two sort of interchangeable.

Hoopaholic
07-26-2017, 10:21 AM
I think we are looking at some very fluid lineups with Perk/Melson/Wade as the guards and Norvell floating between the 2 and 3 depending on lineups. I see Rui starting at the 3 but also floating over to the 4 depending on who else is on the floor. It will be an interesting year with some potential growing pains but I think everyone will find their role quickly. It's already going to be hard to fit Ayayi into the rotation, going to be very difficult if the So. Utah kid transfers in.

agree

btzag
07-26-2017, 10:35 AM
Rui. Coaches are on record saying he will be developed as a wing. Only thing that could hold him back is if he's still working on communication and/or comfort with offensive concepts. Kispert backs up at the 3 and Norvell is first guard off the bench, almost a Melson role from last year.

cggonzaga
07-26-2017, 10:42 AM
Agree w/ everything you say about Kispert, but Norvell is just as good and has been in the program for a year. I think both are really top 30 type players. Hard to say if Few will start the true fr. All things being equal, the older player (was going to say upperclassman, but that doesn't apply here) starts, according to history.

Never had wing size, talent and depth like this before. I think we could see all 3 on the floor together at times, with Norvell at the 2, Kispert the 3, and Rui the 4, but the latter two sort of interchangeable.

Bingo. Unless Norvell isn't healthy for some reason. I still believe Rui plays more 4 than 3 this season out of necessity. He's a 3 in the NBA but a 4 at Gonzaga. Many of our 4's played from the wing anyways.

Zagdawg
07-26-2017, 10:45 AM
Going with Norvell also-- year in the program and lights out shooter --- unfortunately with our big depth we will see Rui filling in at the 4-- but also spending time at some three if given the opportunity.

Larryzag
07-26-2017, 10:51 AM

Totally agree with this take. I see Rui at the 4 this year more than the 3 out of necessity. What a great problem to have!

gonzagafan62
07-26-2017, 10:53 AM
Perk and melson are guarantees. The only guarantees in this lineup if healthy.

Rui would my guess. Tommy is super high on him

Bogozags
07-26-2017, 11:03 AM
IMHO - RS Freshman Zach will start at SF...

Rui and CK will support coming off the bench...

Could well be that Rui plays more PF than SF and if that is the case, CK will get lots of minutes at the SF...

From watching CK play, he is going to surprise lots of us with his ability to play both sides of the ball...

spike_jr
07-26-2017, 11:56 AM
Perk and melson are guarantees. The only guarantees in this lineup if healthy.

I think that JW3 guy might be the biggest guarantee of them all! :cheers:

Goshzagit
07-26-2017, 12:19 PM
IMHO - RS Freshman Zach will start at SF...

Rui and CK will support coming off the bench...

Could well be that Rui plays more PF than SF and if that is the case, CK will get lots of minutes at the SF...

From watching CK play, he is going to surprise lots of us with his ability to play both sides of the ball...

This to start the season.

Kispert to start by WCC play. He is taylormade for our conference style of play.

Coach learning the value/impact frosh stars can make and CK is too valuable of a scorer/playmaker/presence to keep off the court for long.

hooter73
07-26-2017, 12:37 PM
I believe all of rui's playing time will depend on his defense.

Reborn
07-26-2017, 12:44 PM
Silas Melson averaged 24 min per game last year. He played many of those minutes at the 3. I think he will start at the 3 this year. Norvell will start at the two. Melson will also play some at the two. Kispert will get good minutes off the bench at the 3 and Rui good minutes at the 4. The other bench player will be Wade.

Of course this all depends on whether Few signs any more players. Onwuasor is visiting August 1st, less than a week away. And Hawkins has expressed interest.

Markburn1
07-26-2017, 12:47 PM
All of them seem capable on the offensive end. It will boil down to who commits all out on defense and the boards.

PFzag
07-26-2017, 12:52 PM
Knowing how much Few loves guys who take care of the ball and don't make mistakes on defense, I went with Kispert. I think we'll see all three get plenty of minutes this season, but Kispert really seems like Few's type. I think he'll play within himself, do whatever is asked of him, and (despite being just a freshman) keep his mental mistakes to a minimum.

Rui has the most potential of the trio, but I think he still has some growing to do in regards to playing within a system, especially on the defensive end. Zach's offenseive game is highly advanced , but I don't see him being as polished as Kispert. I could be wrong. Like I said, I think they'll all get minutes, so it will be fun to watch them figure things out this year.

SanDiegoZag
07-26-2017, 01:03 PM
No question, barring injury, that Norvell starts. Few always gives the nod to experience. I think Few eases minutes in for Kispert very slowly at the beginning of the year. I like Josh, but I think he will be given way too minutes this year, especially early in the year. I could almost see Few barely taking him out of the game, especially if Ayayi redshirts.

cggonzaga
07-26-2017, 01:34 PM
I love Kispert's game and have bragged him up from before he committed here. However, this is turning a little into the Bol Kong expectations. Kispert is really good and will be a great Zag imo but I just don't see him starting this year unless Melson or Norvell gets hurt.

btzag
07-26-2017, 02:10 PM
I love Kispert's game and have bragged him up from before he committed here. However, this is turning a little into the Bol Kong expectations. Kispert is really good and will be a great Zag imo but I just don't see him starting this year unless Melson or Norvell gets hurt.

Haha yes it's funny how some of these off season reports take on a life of their own. Also the comments that Norvell is the most experienced of the 3 seems to be making the rounds...when of course Rui is the most experienced since he saw time in reg season and the longest post season in gu history.

gonzagafan62
07-26-2017, 02:28 PM
I think that JW3 guy might be the biggest guarantee of them all! :cheers:

Hahahaha. So true. My bad!

Zagdawg
07-26-2017, 02:33 PM
Rui did see time last year.....at the 4 and he did get time on his national team at the 4/5 -- he may see time at the 3 next year if our other 3 bigs conditioning is good, no one is injured and no one is in foul trouble.

Lots of talent can play the 3 on the team -- Norvell, Kispert, Melson, Ayayi, Rui --- the biggest challenge for Rui is the defense necessary to guard a guy smaller and faster than him-- but it is something that he needs to work on and maybe he can see some time at the 3 --if he makes some defensive improvements over the summer.

It is good to have a wealth of options -- just wish we had a few more big guys (even 1 more would make a significant difference) .

Reborn
07-26-2017, 02:35 PM
Silas Melson has an awful lot of experience from last year at the 3. I'll say he starts at the 3. Norvell at the 2. Wade will be the guard who comes off the bench, as well as Kispert and Rui and Larsen. My guess is that these will be our top 9 players unless Onwuasor and/or Hawkins sing to play for the Zags.

So far what I like most about the 2017- 2018 Zags is that there are so many new players who will be playing. We're saying this and we're saying that, but only because it's summer and we want to keep the board alive. Also there are a lot of us who seem to like making predictions (the game prediction thread during the season may be the most popular thread). I remember feeling somewhat the same last year, but we seemed to have more experienced players. There will be 3 freshmen and one red-shirt freshman. 4 out of our 5 top scorers from last year are gone. Our go-too guy (NWG) is gone. So its fun to think or dream of next year's team but honestly there will be many surprises.

jchocolate99
07-26-2017, 02:58 PM
No question, barring injury, that Norvell starts. Few always gives the nod to experience. I think Few eases minutes in for Kispert very slowly at the beginning of the year. I like Josh, but I think he will be given way too minutes this year, especially early in the year. I could almost see Few barely taking him out of the game, especially if Ayayi redshirts.

He very well could redshirt this coming season but it's very rare that GU redshirts international players

cjm720
07-26-2017, 03:16 PM
Norvell

MDABE80
07-26-2017, 03:31 PM
When you all see Kispert play, it won't be close as to who occupies the 3 spot for most of the year. Kispert does so many things well, I cannot imagine him NOT occupying the 3 spot most of the time. Norvelle and him are superior. We finally have wings we can smile about.
Rui? I'm thinking he'll be mostly a 4.....wilth some back and for 3 and 4 depending on the situation,

Reborn
07-26-2017, 03:43 PM
When you all see Kispert play, it won't be close as to who occupies the 3 spot for most of the year. Kispert does so many things well, I cannot imagine him NOT occupying the 3 spot most of the time. Norvelle and him are superior. We finally have wings we can smile about.
Rui? I'm thinking he'll be mostly a 4.....wilth some back and for 3 and 4 depending on the situation,

What is Few going to do with Melson, who averaged 24 minutes last year? If I'm reading you correctly, you think Kispert will play more minutes at the 3 than Melson. I have not seen Kispert play. I've only seen some videos, and I was impressed for sure, but I just see Few as someone who likes to play upperclassmen who have experience.

Worthington
07-26-2017, 04:24 PM

Stumbled across some footage of Kispert that I had never seen that I thought I would share. Much more athletic than many people realize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txZxIIkGyK0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrsY9lxGXBY

cggonzaga
07-26-2017, 04:43 PM
Much more athletic than people realize.

Pretty sure he's always been described as as athletic.

Worthington
07-26-2017, 04:53 PM
Pretty sure he's always been described as as athletic.

Sure, but 'athletic' doesn't quite capture the fact that he's taking off for dunks from outside the lane.

TexasZagFan
07-26-2017, 05:00 PM
Sure, but 'athletic' doesn't quite capture the fact that he's taking off for dunks from outside the lane.

I'm going to post some videos my wife took of the Rui/Corey slam dunk contest. One was of through the legs dunk by Corey .

maynard g krebs
07-26-2017, 05:33 PM
the comments that Norvell is the most experienced of the 3 seems to be making the rounds...when of course Rui is the most experienced since he saw time in reg season and the longest post season in gu history.

Years of playing at Simeon and the AAU circuit factor in, too, v Rui playing against lesser comp in Japan during that time. I didn't see where anyone said Zach is more experienced at the college level, but he's very polished and Rui, for all his talent, is somewhat raw still. Rui has a lot more to learn of the two, though more upside in terms of size/athleticism.

Bogozags
07-26-2017, 06:02 PM
Years of playing at Simeon and the AAU circuit factor in, too, v Rui playing against lesser comp in Japan during that time. I didn't see where anyone said Zach is more experienced at the college level, but he's very polished and Rui, for all his talent, is somewhat raw still. Rui has a lot more to learn of the two, though more upside in terms of size/athleticism.

MGK I see it the same way...Rui is sooo athletic with lots of skill but still "very raw"...he needs more polish and that only comes with solid practice time and quality P/T...
I hope he doesn't get frustrated with his role on the TEAM...

john montana
07-26-2017, 07:04 PM
Silas Melson has an awful lot of experience from last year at the 3. I'll say he starts at the 3. Norvell at the 2. Wade will be the guard who comes off the bench, as well as Kispert and Rui and Larsen. My guess is that these will be our top 8 players unless Onwuasor and/or Hawkins sing to play for the Zags.

Who is your starting 4 reborn?

I am betting:

Jp
Norvell
Melson
Rui
Jw3

2/3 is basically interchangeable in our system.

btzag
07-26-2017, 07:16 PM

One poster specifically mentioned that Few would go with experience and that would equal Zach. You and another poster also mentioned experience in the program as a factor though it seems you and others have slotted Rui only into the 4 and so the argument was really about Zach vs Kispert. That was probably my bad in misreading...

Listen I have tried to pump the brakes on every "Rui" thread on this board as he definitely has things to work on....but the kid is crazy talented and will be a 3 in his professional career. This Norvell and Kispert hype is truly reaching even beyond Rui levels as most are assuming Rui will take a backseat to these guys who have not played a D1 minute. IF they are truly head and shoulders above Rui's level this year then that would equal another FF for our Zags because Rui is really good. Oh and Tillie is pretty good at the 4 also...

JPtheBeasta
07-26-2017, 07:23 PM
MGK I see it the same way...Rui is sooo athletic with lots of skill but still "very raw"...he needs more polish and that only comes with solid practice time and quality P/T...
I hope he doesn't get frustrated with his role on the TEAM...

With that in mind, you might be able to hide him more at the 4 spot. We all saw Jordan Matthews play a big role from the start as a shooter at the 3. If Few keeps that trend going I could see Norvell at the 3.

My initial thought to the OP, though, was that Rui would see more time than the others at the 3, but that's mostly because I haven't even seen the other two play. But I also see Tillie and JW3 taking up most of the minutes at the 4 and 5 positions, and think that Rui is too much of a freak athlete to keep off the floor.

bartruff1
07-26-2017, 07:38 PM
When I hear talk about great athletes (no offense intended) I am reminded of the post game interview with Bob Huggins who was being pressed why he couldn't beat Few and he replied to the effect that ....." Many of us recruit tall kids that can run and jump and can shoot the ball....and Mark recruits kids that can play basketball ....." Bob is a HOF Coach with some 700+ wins...

I think that is true and hasn't changed..... and the ones that can play basketball Mark's way..... will play...

Reborn
07-26-2017, 07:55 PM

I am betting:

Jp
Norvell
Melson
Rui
Jw3

Same as yours John Montana.

thespywhozaggedme
07-26-2017, 08:45 PM
What is Few going to do with Meech, who averaged 24 minutes last year? If I'm reading you correctly, you think Kispert will play more minutes at the 3 than Melson. I have not seen Kispert play. I've only seen some videos, and I was impressed for sure, but I just see Few as someone who likes to play upperclassmen who have experience.

Meech???

Reborn
07-26-2017, 08:59 PM
Meech???

hahahahah haha Ooops I meant Melson. Thanks for the heads up

seacatfan
07-26-2017, 09:40 PM
That Friday Night Jams video is pretty funny. Most of the players Kispert is going up against are outsized, outgunned and outclassed. There aren't exactly a bunch of high D1 college prospects playing at the 1A level in Washington high schools. Not to take anything away from him.

ZagNation
07-26-2017, 10:24 PM
That Friday Night Jams video is pretty funny. Most of the players Kispert is going up against are outsized, outgunned and outclassed. There aren't exactly a bunch of high D1 college prospects playing at the 1A level in Washington high schools. Not to take anything away from him.

Funny thing is, your post comes across as a dig on Kispert.

kitzbuel
07-27-2017, 04:10 AM

I am betting:

Jp
Norvell
Melson
Rui
Jw3

2/3 is basically interchangeable in our system.No Tillie?!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Ekrub
07-27-2017, 04:49 AM
Can Norvell play PG?

Outraged
07-27-2017, 05:28 AM
I would expect few to start the one that can follow instructions and execute the system the best to start not the best scorer or player. Then maybe the better player rotates in when things are settled. Isn't always like that with Few?

NotoriousZ
07-27-2017, 05:40 AM
Can Norvell play PG?

Yes, but don't open that can if you want this thread to stay.

I'm liking the idea of Melson at the 3, and Norvell the starting 2. And Kispert is big enough to slot some time at the 4 (not that we need him to do that).

Bogozags
07-27-2017, 07:09 AM
When Coach Few starts three guards as he did last season, their roles are pretty inter-changeable so not understanding the issue between Melson and Zach playing at the SG or SF...

Reborn
07-27-2017, 07:12 AM
When Coach Few starts three guards as he did last season, their roles are pretty inter-changeable so not understanding the issue between Melson and Zach playing at the SG or SF...

I brought Melson into this discussion because his name wasn't one of the 3 names listed for fans to vote for.

zaguarxj
07-27-2017, 07:53 AM
I remember seeing a Mark Few interview when ZN was an incoming freshman. Few was so excited about what a great basketball player he is and, most of all, that he is a natural leader. With the departure of future 53rd President of the United States Nigel Williams-Goss, there's a leadership hole the size of the Anaconda mine that needs to be filled. It may take more than one player to fill it and Zach will be in the mix. He will play 25+ minutes a game at multiple spots.

Since the poll looks like a runaway for Norvell, who do you think will be the 1st backcourt player off the bench? I think either Wade or Kispert, depending on fouls and matchups. Wade if a ballhandler gets in foul trouble or needs a break. Kispert as a game-changer and matchup nightmare for opposing coaches.

All that said, I'm fascinated by Joel Ayayi and can't wait to see what he brings. With his length, he could see some court time by playing hard-nosed defense and rebounding.

kitzbuel
07-27-2017, 08:50 AM

I am betting:

Jp
Norvell
Melson
Rui
Jw3

Jp
Norvell
Melson
Tillie
Jw3

cggonzaga
07-27-2017, 10:20 AM
Jp
Norvell
Melson
Tillie
Jw3

Yep.

amaronizag
07-27-2017, 11:00 AM
My guess for starters at the beginning of the season
1-JP
2-ZN
3-SM
4-KT
5-J3

My guess for mid December
1-JP
2-ZN
3-CK
4-J3
5-JL

bartruff1
07-27-2017, 01:00 PM
Yep.

Me too....unless there are transfers with demonstrated greater skills

MDABE80
07-27-2017, 01:50 PM
1-JP
2-ZN
3-SM
4-KT
5-J3

My guess for mid December
1-JP
2-ZN
3-CK
4-J3
5-JL
You might actually write their last names.

Bogozags
07-27-2017, 05:05 PM
I brought Melson into this discussion because his name wasn't one of the 3 names listed for fans to vote for.

I can appreciate that but unless there are injuries I feel confident that Josh, Melson and JWIII are going to start at whatever positions so then there are two spots open and I believe they will be filled by either Tillie or Larson and Zach, Cory or Rui...that is of course unless a Post Grad player is signed, then there would be other line-ups to consider...IMHO

Fonebone
07-27-2017, 05:19 PM
In all my years watching Zag games, I don't recall a player who created so much excitement when he entered the game as Rui. We expected something exciting and we always got it. No doubt Rui is super talented, but I wonder if we are reacting to his pure athletic ability and equating it to effectiveness and value on the court. In terms of this coming year, his talent is one element, but there are several other elements that are equally if not more important. Also, a key question is what specific contribution does the team need from him, or more precisely, from each player on the court. Which lineup produces the most effective unit ?

Reborn
07-27-2017, 05:56 PM
In all my years watching Zag games, I don't recall a player who created so much excitement when he entered the game as Rui. We expected something exciting and we always got it. No doubt Rui is super talented, but I wonder if we are reacting to his pure athletic ability and equating it to effectiveness and value on the court. In terms of this coming year, his talent is one element, but there are several other elements that are equally if not more important. Also, a key question is what specific contribution does the team need from him, or more precisely, from each player on the court. Which lineup produces the most effective unit ?

I base what I have said about Hachimura on what I have seen in the 7 games he played in at FIBA tournment. I watched all his games, as well as, all of Tillie's and base my excitement about Hachimura on what I saw in those games. I also base it on what Tommy said about him this summer. I wonder if you watched the games I just mentioned? IF not I believe it would help you understand the so called "hype" about him. To me there is no "hype." Rui is for real.

btzag
07-27-2017, 06:48 PM
I base what I have said about Hachimura on what I have seen in the 7 games he played in at FIBA tournment. I watched all his games, as well as, all of Tillie's and base my excitement about Hachimura on what I saw in those games. I also base it on what Tommy said about him this summer. I wonder if you watched the games I just mentioned? IF not I believe it would help you understand the so called "hype" about him. To me there is no "hype." Rui is for real.

So Reborn, correct me if I am wrong, but you are saying you think Rui is going to play the majority of the minutes at the 4 and Tillie is going to be more of a bench player this year?

Just confused because the discussion was about the 3 and you seem to have that slotted for Melson and Kispert and the 2 locked up for Norvell....

Zagcity
07-27-2017, 07:19 PM
1-JP

3-SM

5-J3

These three will start every game barring injury.

Reborn
07-27-2017, 08:02 PM
So Reborn, correct me if I am wrong, but you are saying you think Rui is going to play the majority of the minutes at the 4 and Tillie is going to be more of a bench player this year?

Just confused because the discussion was about the 3 and you seem to have that slotted for Melson and Kispert and the 2 locked up for Norvell....

I know there are many fans who think Hachimura will play the small forward (also called the #3 position). I may have thought that also at one point but as we are learning, Kispert appears to be quite a talent and is going to be awarded a lot of minutes on the court. Because I believe that the three players playing the #2 and #3 positions are going to be inter-changeable this year, I think I would break up the 80 minutes this way: Melson 28 minutes, Norvell 27 minutes and Kispert 25 minutes. If I am overestimating Kispert's talent then I would take away some of his minutes and give them to Hachimura and Tillie. If this were to be the case than Rui would get some playing time at the small forward (or #3) position. Let's say that Few only gives Kispert 17 minutes than I'd divide those extra 8 minutes between Hachimura and Tillie. Or there is one other option for those 8 minutes that I originally gave to Kispert. Few could give them to Wade if Wade is also as good as many are predicting. I have Wade down for only ten minutes at the point guard position, but I could also see him playing at either of the two wing positions, the #2 or #3.

john montana
07-27-2017, 09:56 PM
No Tillie?!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I like to bet the longshots kitz. Hah hah

Odds are Tillie starts at the 4, and rui off the bench...just hoping for a huge jump from Rui.

cjm720
07-28-2017, 06:18 AM
I see Tillie playing a lot, 25 or so a game. He's our most versatile weapon. I cannot imagine he won't start all year.

Edited to add: thought this was the rotation thread. I don't see Tillie at the 3 with our depth.

Norvell will be the man at the 3, Kispert a strong backup, as well as Rui. I see Rui playing 4 and 3 to get on the floor. He will be a mismatch nightmare for a 4, but his athleticism and nose for the ball on the block will allow him to be a vet servicible "big"