PDA

View Full Version : Rui going to be called up to JPN's senior NT for AsiaCup?

adoptedzag
07-24-2017, 10:03 PM
Looking here: http://www.fiba.com/asiacup/2017/fullschedule It appears that there's 2 interesting Zag-related tidbits to come from it:

1 - Is Rui going to be called to the NT for the AsiaCup after his performance for the U20s, and

2 - Ira Brown is apparently a naturalized citizen and can participate under Japan's flag.

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-25-2017, 01:50 AM
Good question, adoptedzag. I hope Rui is called up but only if they intend to give him meaningful minutes; otherwise, he's probably better off settling back into Zagville and training w his teammates while re-immersing into English language. It would be cool to see Ira and Rui play together though.

ZagNative
07-25-2017, 01:46 PM
I believe this post from Japan Times is from today's edition and shows the roster, which includes Ira Brown, but not Rui: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2017/07/25/basketball/japan-roster-unveiled-fiba-asia-cup/#.WXe6SemQxPY

Japan roster

Guards — Ryoma Hashimoto, SeaHorses Mikawa; Yuki Togashi, Chiba Jets Funabashi; Ryusei Shinoyama, Kawasaki Brave Thunders; Makoto Hiejima, Mikawa; Yudai Baba, Alvark Tokyo; Daiki Tanaka, Tokyo; Takatoshi Furukawa, Ryukyu Golden Kings.

Forwards — Ryumo Ono, Chiba; Ira Brown, Ryukyu; Tenketsu Harimoto, Nagoya Diamond Dolphins.

Centers — Atsuya Ota, San-en NeoPhoenix; Kosuke Takeuchi, Tochigi.

Calendaring games to watch Ira compete in:

Up next: Japan will play a pair of tuneup games against Uruguay at Aoyama Gakuin University on Saturday and Sunday and then travel to Spain to play a few more exhibitions before the Asia Cup.

Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Australia comprise Group D for the preliminary round of the 16-team Asia Cup. The top three teams from each of the four groups will advance to the knockout round.

Japan will take on Australia in its first tournament contest on Aug. 8 at Nouhad Nawfal Sports Complex.

Reborn
07-25-2017, 02:18 PM
I'm glad Hachimura is not playing. I feel it will help his development more to remain at GU and practice with his teammates, and continue to improve his English.

ZagNative
07-25-2017, 02:27 PM
Well, I was going to do some research and see if I could find links to the tournaments Ira will be competing in so I could calendar some info to follow up on, but it's just too challenging to overcome the Japanese language barrier ...

sittingon50
07-25-2017, 07:53 PM
Well, I was going to do some research and see if I could find links to the tournaments Ira will be competing in so I could calendar some info to follow up on, but it's just too challenging to overcome the Japanese language barrier ...

:D