PDA

View Full Version : Zag hoops camp recap

TexasZagFan
07-24-2017, 08:09 AM
I can't find sufficient superlatives for the Zags hoops camp. It ran like clockwork, very little dead time, and my son had an absolute blast. He was watching instructional videos during half of our drive to Big Timber MT yesterday.

It appeared to me that the vast majority of the kids (like my son) love basketball, though not likely to ever play Div 1 basketball. There were a few there, and we may hear about them in the future. There is no doubt they will be better players for what they learned, and isn't that what it's all about?

My son made several new friends, and the competition there has certainly whetted his appetite, to be more serious about his game.

I can't say enough about the coaches and the players. The players not only helped out during the clinics, but signed autographs for over an hour at the conclusion of camp...and all had smiles on their faces. None paid any attention to the "one item limit", I admit I was one of the worst offenders. I discovered that you need to buy one of the balls meant for display cases. Anyhow, we left with a ball signed by 7-8 players, a camp shirt, and poster.

My son's self evaluation was part braggadocio, but his confidence will help him compete for a spot on the JV team this year. Where just a couple of years ago he barely touched the ball on the court, it was gratifying to hear him say he scored 12 points in 16 minutes during one of their games.

He really enjoyed the dorm experience, if only to get away from his aged parents for a few days...and his nephew...they're already fighting again...lol.

Other observations: Josh was awesome, and was a big hit with the kids. If he's feeling any pressure about being the PG, I didn't see it.

Rui: the comfort factor is there, his smile is infectious. He and Corey put on a show in a slam dunk contest.

Corey: one of the nicest young men you'd ever want to meet. Developmentally, he's ahead of Zach Collins, in that he's used to being the first option...IIRC, Zach wasn't a starter until his senior year, though I could be wrong. Corey will never be asked to sit at the kids table. He told me that the opportunity to work with Travis Knight played a role in coming to Gonzaga. He was one of the regular coaches during camp. I saw him working on his ball handling drills at 10:30 PM.

Zach Norvell: he's ready to contribute, and he couldn't have been nicer and approachable.

Jacob Larsen: only saw him at the autograph table, he was obviously having a good time.

I can't say enough about these young men that represent us.

As Father Tony said, "to be continued..."

SLOZag
07-24-2017, 09:05 AM
Great post. Looking forward to the next installment!

Zags_Fanatic
07-24-2017, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the post, Tex! The staff got a good one in Kispert, can't wait to see what he will bring to the table over his career. Any word on Josh Perkins' shoulder? Did he have it wrapped up or say anything about it during the camp? Great to hear that you and your son had such a great experience.

zagbeliever
07-24-2017, 09:26 AM
I can't find sufficient superlatives for the Zags hoops camp. It ran like clockwork, very little dead time, and my son had an absolute blast. He was watching instructional videos during half of our drive to Big Timber MT yesterday.

It appeared to me that the vast majority of the kids (like my son) love basketball, though not likely to ever play Div 1 basketball. There were a few there, and we may hear about them in the future. There is no doubt they will be better players for what they learned, and isn't that what it's all about?

My son made several new friends, and the competition there has certainly whetted his appetite, to be more serious about his game.

I can't say enough about the coaches and the players. The players not only helped out during the clinics, but signed autographs for over an hour at the conclusion of camp...and all had smiles on their faces. None paid any attention to the "one item limit", I admit I was one of the worst offenders. I discovered that you need to buy one of the balls meant for display cases. Anyhow, we left with a ball signed by 7-8 players, a camp shirt, and poster.

My son's self evaluation was part braggadocio, but his confidence will help him compete for a spot on the JV team this year. Where just a couple of years ago he barely touched the ball on the court, it was gratifying to hear him say he scored 12 points in 16 minutes during one of their games.

He really enjoyed the dorm experience, if only to get away from his aged parents for a few days...and his nephew...they're already fighting again...lol.

Other observations: Josh was awesome, and was a big hit with the kids. If he's feeling any pressure about being the PG, I didn't see it.

Rui: the comfort factor is there, his smile is infectious. He and Corey put on a show in a slam dunk contest.

Corey: one of the nicest young men you'd ever want to meet. Developmentally, he's ahead of Zach Collins, in that he's used to being the first option...IIRC, Zach wasn't a starter until his senior year, though I could be wrong. Corey will never be asked to sit at the kids table. He told me that the opportunity to work with Travis Knight played a role in coming to Gonzaga. He was one of the regular coaches during camp. I saw him working on his ball handling drills at 10:30 PM.

Zach Norvell: he's ready to contribute, and he couldn't have been nicer and approachable.

Jacob Larsen: only saw him at the autograph table, he was obviously having a good time.

I can't say enough about these young men that represent us.

As Father Tony said, "to be continued..."

Thank you so much for the post! Great information

MDABE80
07-24-2017, 09:53 AM
Good meeting you Tex! Come back soon! Abe ps how'd the lil one do?

willandi
07-24-2017, 12:35 PM
Yes TZF. Great to meet you. Thanks for coming by!

TexasZagFan
07-24-2017, 08:03 PM
Good meeting you Tex! Come back soon! Abe ps how'd the lil one do?

Thanks for your hospitality!

We're currently in Gillette WY, heading to Mount Rushmore tomorrow. He can't wait to go to camp in a couple of years. He was a bit disappointed Tillie wasn't there, but Josh, Corey, And Jesse filled in admirably.

Our team is a rarity, from what I've experienced. Nary a prima Donna in the group, and they really enjoy being around the kids. Quite a contrast to a well known program about 90 miles south of Dallas.

TexasZagFan
07-24-2017, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the post, Tex! The staff got a good one in Kispert, can't wait to see what he will bring to the table over his career. Any word on Josh Perkins' shoulder? Did he have it wrapped up or say anything about it during the camp? Great to hear that you and your son had such a great experience.

Josh limited his activities with his right arm, but he wasn't wearing a sling or other protective device. My sense is that Josh is comfortable being the lead point guard next year, and he'll be playing confidently.

Zagceo
07-24-2017, 08:19 PM
Nice report!

May have missed it....did ya get to visit the new Bulldog Bar/Cafe on campus? Greenhouse with fresh veggies makes nice burgers!

I remember attending Lenny Wilkins/Lee Tresvant camp as a 10 year old.......good memories

TexasZagFan
07-24-2017, 08:31 PM
Nice report!

May have missed it....did ya get to visit the new Bulldog Bar/Cafe on campus? Greenhouse with fresh veggies makes nice burgers!

I remember attending Lenny Wilkins/Lee Tresvant camp as a 10 year old.......good memories

Sorry, never made it to the Bulldog Bar. Made it to Jack & Dan's, thanks to Abe.

Zagceo
07-24-2017, 08:35 PM
Sorry, never made it to the Bulldog Bar. Made it to Jack & Dan's, thanks to Abe.

Its on campus LINK (https://www.inlander.com/spokane/a-new-home/Content?oid=2546700)

gueastcoast
07-25-2017, 07:59 AM
Great stuff, thanks Tex!

Reborn
07-25-2017, 09:18 AM
Glad you had a great time Texas Zag Fan. Nothing quite like taking your kids and grandkids to the Gonzaga campus, especially when there's something special going on. I hope you keep going back there, the "high" never seems to fade for me. There is just something really special about that place. Thanks also for coming and sharing your experience with us here on this forum. Be safe now.

kitzbuel
07-25-2017, 09:54 AM
Its on campus LINK (https://www.inlander.com/spokane/a-new-home/Content?oid=2546700)

Does that even count?