PDA

View Full Version : Hachimura-one of 25 players with something to prove

Section 116
07-20-2017, 07:54 PM
From CBS's Matt Norlander:

Every season of college basketball provides a cluster of veteran players who become stars, guys who are asked to do more and thus find themselves competing not just for NCAA Tournament inclusion, but also all-conference accolades and even, sometimes, vaulting onto NBA mock draft boards.
With that in mind, we're looking at 25 players who need to prove their value next season -- and have the talent to do so. Here the under-the-radar studs, all of whom that averaged less than 10.0 points last season.
Despite limited impact last season, we can still identify 25 players who can, and should, become breakout players in 2017-18. Here they are listed in no particular order:

Rui Hachimura, Gonzaga: Barely earned playing time on a team that made the national title game, but on the heels of his incredible performance at the FIBA World Cup, in U19 play, there is big-time buzz about Hachimura's season forthcoming. He averaged 20.6 points, 11.0 rebounds and 2.4 assists while playing for Team Japan. He'll be a sophomore, and should be the next big thing down low for a program that put many forwards into the NBA.

Link:http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/the-top-25-college-basketball-players-with-something-to-prove-this-season/

MDABE80
07-20-2017, 09:10 PM
Thoughtful. Rui played 3 min per game last season and had some flashes of a high end player. Not convincing in so few minutes IMO. He did well in the FIBA games but those are a long way ( at least Japan's path) from a consistently difficult D1 schedule. He REALLY needs a killer season to qualify as an elite NBA rookie. Given this, does anyone think he'll be a star? I'm in the "wait and see" category. I'm fine with Tillie, J3. but Rui as a big (4) or solid 3 is an open question. Love to see him do 15-10. He still has a story to tell and I hope it's a great one. Norlander is reasonable in this article..

tyra
07-21-2017, 07:43 AM
Rui is an extraordinary physical talent. To be an elite basketball player requires more, however. Whether Rui can get there, while continuing to learn a language, acclimate to a different culture, and buy into a particular role within a particular system, is an open question. He has the motivation and the coaches to get him there and so I predict he will turn out to be a very special player in our program's storied history. (And that my friends, was my 1,000 post! Thanks for allowing me to be a part of this special community.)

thebigsmoove
07-21-2017, 07:57 AM
The attention that Rui has received post U19 is incredible. I think Norlander was more than fair in his presentation of the facts.

Plainsman
07-21-2017, 08:48 AM
Rui is an extraordinary physical talent. To be an elite basketball player requires more, however. Whether Rui can get there, while continuing to learn a language, acclimate to a different culture, and buy into a particular role within a particular system, is an open question. He has the motivation and the coaches to get him there and so I predict he will turn out to be a very special player in our program's storied history. (And that my friends, was my 1,000 post! Thanks for allowing me to be a part of this special community.)

Heartily agree with most of this and with the high hopes for Rui. It was difficult to see where he was with his game last year with the few minutes he played but, frankly, he looked lost in participating in the offensive schemes quite often to me. I hope his increased language skills and adaptation to life in Spokane will lead to more effective understanding of and adaptation to Coach Few's system this year. A Rui that is firing on all cylinders within the system and his role would, I think, be a fearsome thing to see!

MDABE80
07-21-2017, 09:16 AM

YAY and congrats Tyra!!

GoZags
07-21-2017, 09:46 AM
YAY and congrats Tyra!!

Tyra. Da. Man.

CdAZagFan
07-21-2017, 07:49 PM
Rui did appear to struggle at times last year, but I think he will make a big leap this year in terms of understanding the language and basketball schemes that the coaches throw at him. The prospect of him potentially playing the 3 spot has me pretty excited - what a matchup nightmare that would be for the opposition.

GrizZAG
07-21-2017, 11:15 PM
Seems with his hops alone he could be an elite shot blocker and rebounder. He certainly has the size and strength to bang down low. He will understand his role on offense eventually?

Bogozags
07-22-2017, 02:40 AM
Adam, in his junior year exploded so Rui has time to grow...

jazzdelmar
07-22-2017, 04:09 AM
Adam, in his junior year exploded so Rui has time to grow...

Adam's soph year was a launching pad many levels over where Rui was last year, but I see the point. I'll take soph Ammo anytime.

TexasZagFan
07-22-2017, 05:04 AM
Adam's soph year was a launching pad many levels over where Rui was last year, but I see the point. I'll take soph Ammo anytime.

From what I saw in last night's scrimmage, Rui needs to get better against physical defenders. J3 and he got into it a bit, and Rui forced a few bad shots.

Rui will be a monster in the open court, though. Just my $.02, but he will be a first round pick in the 2018 NBA draft. He's got the body and the athleticism for the next level.

jazzdelmar
07-22-2017, 07:47 AM
From what I saw in last night's scrimmage, Rui needs to get better against physical defenders. J3 and he got into it a bit, and Rui forced a few bad shots.

Rui will be a monster in the open court, though. Just my $.02, but he will be a first round pick in the 2018 NBA draft. He's got the body and the athleticism for the next level.

2018? Are you shurrrrr?

TexasZagFan
07-22-2017, 09:08 AM
2018? Are you shurrrrr?

As "shurrrr" as Fr. Tony would say "to be continued...". ;)

DixieZag
07-22-2017, 09:16 AM

Maybe I'm underestimating Rui but I'd take him having a year like Adam's frosh year. I recall one game at the Arena (against Georgia, I think?) My brother turned to me mid-way through the game, after a couple tough moves/shots by Adam and said "your best player is a freshman" and, at least as my memory serves, Stepp was on that team.

Reborn
07-22-2017, 09:50 AM

Congrats, Tyra on your 1,000th post. It's a great feeling. I remember the feeling well. Keep it up now....

I don't really like the idea of "having to prove something." It puts too much pressure on an individual. Rui, to me, is right on schedule. Very few players make a huge splash their freshman year at Gonzaga. However, their Sophomore year is a whole different story. We will begin to see Rui's talent this year. It's a process, step by step. I totally believe the coaches know what they're doing with Rui, and I believe he trusts them. As he gets more time on the court he will learn how to play at the level Gonzaga needs him to play at. The best way to play this game is with confidence in your abilities, and I believe he has that.

jazzdelmar
07-22-2017, 10:08 AM
Maybe I'm underestimating Rui but I'd take him having a year like Adam's frosh year. I recall one game at the Arena (against Georgia, I think?) My brother turned to me mid-way through the game, after a couple tough moves/shots by Adam and said "your best player is a freshman" and, at least as my memory serves, Stepp was on that team.

Dix. How quickly you forget. Ammo as a frosh would be a quantum leap for Rui thus year.

TexasZagFan
07-22-2017, 10:15 AM
Dix. How quickly you forget. Ammo as a frosh would be a quantum leap for Rui thus year.

Not out of line...comparing Rui to an NCAA First team All-American two years hence is a stretch. Rui's had to adjust to a quantum leap of opponents.

thespywhozaggedme
07-22-2017, 10:24 AM

Dare I say that if Ammo were a freshman the same year and with the same team that Rui was a freshman that Ammo wouldn't have had the freshman year that he had. And conversely if Rui were freshman on Ammo's freshman team, Rui would have had similar numbers to Ammo.

jazzdelmar
07-22-2017, 12:04 PM
Dare I say that if Ammo were a freshman the same year and with the same team that Rui was a freshman that Ammo wouldn't have had the freshman year that he had. And conversely if Rui were freshman on Ammo's freshman team, Rui would have had similar numbers to Ammo.

My head hurts from that illogic, Spy. Ammo would have played the same on either team. Mozart is always Mozart.

jazzdelmar
07-22-2017, 12:05 PM
Not out of line...comparing Rui to an NCAA First team All-American two years hence is a stretch. Rui's had to adjust to a quantum leap of opponents.

Tex, are you agreeing w me, or disagreeing w me?

TexasZagFan
07-22-2017, 01:18 PM
Tex, are you agreeing w me, or disagreeing w me?

Not trying to be difficult, jazz. Adam was a special player, a generational talent...offensively. Defense was not the priority that it is today.

I think it's unfair to compare the two now. Lurking in my mind is the notion that an NBA owner is looking to expand marketing opportunities in Japan, such as Mark Cuban.

thespywhozaggedme
07-22-2017, 01:48 PM
My head hurts from that illogic, Spy. Ammo would have played the same on either team. Mozart is always Mozart.

We will have to agree to disagree

LouisianaZag
07-22-2017, 02:09 PM
It would seem to me until we know what the coaching staff intends to do with Rui for sure everything is conjecture. If he is a 4 then we don't have such a pressing need to find a grad transfer under the goal and we continue the same 4 man rotation we had last year to great success. However a lot of the success down low depends on the development of Jacob Larson. We have 6 kids that can play on the perimeter so unless some of the new four players is simply not ready its seems we are in good shape there. Lets be real careful with with the 2 scholarships the team has left.

maynard g krebs
07-22-2017, 04:34 PM

Agree. I've said it before, but Adam at Mead his sr year was better than any of the Seattle McD AA's of the era except maybe Marvin Williams of Bremerton/ UNC. Fr yr Adam averaged 11, but had his best games on the road v teams like Maryland and Stanford, just off thetop of my head. Kept the Zags in the game v Stanford in Oakland.

DixieZag
07-22-2017, 04:45 PM

Well, I think that I wrongly interpreted your quote as stating that it would acceptable if Rui had a sophomore year akin to Adam, and my only point was that I'd certainly "take" Rui playing at the level of Adam's frosh year, never mind sophomore year. I was just trying to be respectful of Rui in saying it. So, I think we were in total agreement, I just misinterpreted.

One couldn't take one's eyes off Adam the moment he took the floor. He also gave us a little bit of "tude" that was needed at the time, when many still considered us "cute." (aka "soft") I seem to recall a road game at Missouri (?) maybe Oklahoma, some "Big" school with a "good" team at the time. We lost, and Adam had to be pulled to the locker room after the game b/c he was still going at it with a guy on the other team. It wasn't "my" old GU, and I recall really liking it.

Reborn
07-22-2017, 04:53 PM
I don't think anyone will be a better offensive scorer like Morrison, yet Hachimura does remind me of Adam. He is 6' 8" like Adam and they both play wing. Hachimura is behind Adam where Adfam was a Sophomore by a mile. But Rui will close the gap in the next two years. Hachimura is definitely more athletic than Adam, and imo the only player who comes close is Jeremy Pargo. Rui handles the ball much better on the fast break and passes like a guard. He dunks and rebounds way better than Marrison. So in ways Hachimura has skills that Adam lacked. Rui has the body of a pro, and if all goes well he will be a better pro than Adam.

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-22-2017, 05:20 PM
I recall another thread soon after season ended indicating coaches have basically told JP in particular that they're going to "let him loose" or words to that effect, suggesting a more free flowing, instinctive offense rather than 1/2 court sets. Anyone else recall that?

This would definitely help Rui as he seems to thrive in an open court, free flowing offense where players can let their instincts dictate the right play rather than thinking through a set play and who is supposed to do what. I also recall Coach Lloyd stating Zags see Rui as a 3.

That's my hope for this season. Rui starting at the 3 with Tillie (4), JWIII (5), Perkins and Melson. That's some serious athleticism and size. Norvell, Larsen, Wade, Kispert and probably Jones earn solid minutes as the faster pace forces Coach Few to rely more on his bench. At this point, I hope Zags play the cards they have and stop pursuing a grad transfer.

I think Silas Melson is gonna have a big year!

TexasZagFan
07-22-2017, 05:47 PM
I recall another thread soon after season ended indicating coaches have basically told JP in particular that they're going to "let him loose" or words to that effect, suggesting a more free flowing, instinctive offense rather than 1/2 court sets. Anyone else recall that?

This would definitely help Rui as he seems to thrive in an open court, free flowing offense where players can let their instincts dictate the right play rather than thinking through a set play and who is supposed to do what. I also recall Coach Lloyd stating Zags see Rui as a 3.

That's my hope for this season. Rui starting at the 3 with Tillie (4), JWIII (5), Perkins and Melson. That's some serious athleticism and size. Norvell, Larsen, Wade, Kispert and probably Jones earn solid minutes as the faster pace forces Coach Few to rely more on his bench. At this point, I hope Zags play the cards they have and stop pursuing a grad transfer.

Last night's scrimmage has raised my expectations for next season. We won't have two skilled 7 footers, but we will have enough height and athleticism at the 4 & 5. Kispert is the real deal, and looks older than an 18 YO. This will be a team capable of running their opponents into the ground, yet they have the bodies to get physical should the need arise.

We'll be a much better team in March than in December.

Reborn
07-22-2017, 07:09 PM

I recall that too, and I think about it all the time. That's what Rui needs.

jazzdelmar
07-22-2017, 07:25 PM
I recall that too, and I think about it all the time. That's what Rui needs.

Sounds like a mixed blessing with JP at the controls. What's the single season record for turnovers?

btzag
07-22-2017, 08:02 PM
Agree. I've said it before, but Adam at Mead his sr year was better than any of the Seattle McD AA's of the era except maybe Marvin Williams of Bremerton/ UNC. Fr yr Adam averaged 11, but had his best games on the road v teams like Maryland and Stanford, just off thetop of my head. Kept the Zags in the game v Stanford in Oakland.

And Adam had just an amazing feel for scoring and comfort in offense that was beyond his years. Comparing Rui to Ammo is one of the worst comparisons I've ever seen and don't know why it's been perpetuated on this board. Rui has crazy athleticism but is working on refining his game and still struggles with knowing where he should be and what he should do on O. Morrison was the complete opposite of Rui...

maynard g krebs
07-22-2017, 10:48 PM
That's my hope for this season. Rui starting at the 3 with Tillie (4), JWIII (5), Perkins and Melson. That's some serious athleticism and size.

I see Rui coming off the bench; 6th man, instant offense role. Norvell and Kispert both have a much more advanced understanding of the offense imo. I think Norvell starts. All 3 are gonna demand significant time; Norvell probably plays some time at the 2 and Rui or Kispert probably get some minutes at the 4, although the position numbers won't matter too much w/ the versatility of this group.

maynard g krebs
07-22-2017, 10:50 PM
Sounds like a mixed blessing with JP at the controls. What's the single season record for turnovers?

Dickau and Stepp both turned the ball over far more than Josh ever has, in terms of total t.o. numbers. Only turnover record Josh holds is for the imaginary ones. In the real world he averages just over 2 a game.

Magic Johnson led the NBA in turnovers several times, though, if my memory's correct.

ZagsGoZags
07-23-2017, 01:24 AM

JP is JP Batista
JP is Josh Perkins
JP is Jeremy Pargo

cggonzaga
07-23-2017, 01:44 AM
Dickau and Stepp both turned the ball over far more than Josh ever has, in terms of total t.o. numbers. Only turnover record Josh holds is for the imaginary ones. In the real world he averages just over 2 a game.

Magic Johnson led the NBA in turnovers several times, though, if my memory's correct.

John Stockton averaged 2.8 turnovers at Gonzaga during his career. 3.3 his senior year.

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-23-2017, 03:13 AM
JP is JP Batista
JP is Josh Perkins
JP is Jeremy Pargo

All true. Also true we are talking about the upcoming 17-18 season. Can you figure out who JP refers to now?

Maynard, I like your point about Norvell starting and Rui being instant offense 6th man off the bench. It will be interesting to see what happens. If Kispert is as good as we are hearing/hoping AND coaches are determined tonlet Rui play a bigger role as Coach Lloyd has indicated, then I think one of them starts and ZN is first guard off the bench.

jazzdelmar
07-23-2017, 03:18 AM

Oh right, Maynard. Dropping those names is going to set me straight. Time and score, my friend, time and score.

Zagdawg
07-23-2017, 06:51 AM
Jazzy has an axe to grind---Perkins is in the crosshairs ----facts are not going to change that.

TexasZagFan
07-23-2017, 07:05 AM
Jazzy has an axe to grind---Perkins is in the crosshairs ----facts are not going to change that.

Josh is going to have a great year, I've observed him closely over the past few days. He's having fun, he'll be the straw stirring the coffee.

We all have our opinions on players...some we get right, some we get wrong. I like hearing from (almost) everyone, and that includes jazz.

If there's one team that should be worried, it's the Gaels. They're getting most of the preseason hype, IMO. We can go 9-10 deep this year.

seacatfan
07-23-2017, 09:11 AM
Perkins played well down the stretch of his Fr. season. I imagined a NWG/Perkins backcourt would be more dynamic than it turned out to be. Mostly turned Perkins into a passive player that was a spot up 3 point shooter and not much else. While losing NWG is obviously a big blow, I think it will actually be good for Perkins and he'll be much improved this year.

jazzdelmar
07-23-2017, 09:14 AM
Perkins played well down the stretch of his Fr. season. I imagined a NWG/Perkins backcourt would be more dynamic than it turned out to be. Mostly turned Perkins into a passive player that was a spot up 3 point shooter and not much else. While losing NWG is obviously a big blow, I think it will actually be good for Perkins and he'll be much improved this year.

Perkins was protected by Pangos, McClellan and Goss his 3 years. Never the alpha pg. Now he's the one.

seacatfan
07-23-2017, 09:19 AM
Perkins was protected by Pangos, McClellan and Goss his 3 years. Never the alpha pg. Now he's the one.

What, the 5 or so games he played coming off the bench before he got his jaw broken during Pangos' Sr. year? That hardly counts. I really don't think he was "protected" by McClellan. McClellan was pretty up and down and didn't find his groove until late in his Sr. year. I'd say Perkins was the alpha his RS Fr. year and had a very nice season. Last year was a step back, but how could you expect otherwise w/ NWG's brilliance running the show? I guess we'll all find out this year...unless Wade totally takes over.

Hoopaholic
07-23-2017, 09:32 AM

What stats would you consider a success so I can see what you believe is a solid PG indicator

jazzdelmar
07-23-2017, 09:40 AM
What stats would you consider a success so I can see what you believe is a solid PG indicator

Stats, schmats. I'll know it when I see it. Like Collins was the best big on last year's team.

maynard g krebs
07-23-2017, 10:13 AM
Oh right, Maynard. Dropping those names is going to set me straight. Time and score, my friend, time and score.

I addressed what you said in your post about the record number of total turnovers. If you had made a post referencing t.o.'s at bad times, I would not have given the same response.

But I think people give too much weight to a few untimely bad plays and overlook the vast majority of quality play. Perception bias.

I've given up on responding to one poster on this. Guess I'd better make it two. Have at it.

bballbeachbum
07-23-2017, 11:39 AM
And Adam had just an amazing feel for scoring and comfort in offense that was beyond his years. Comparing Rui to Ammo is one of the worst comparisons I've ever seen and don't know why it's been perpetuated on this board. Morrison was the complete opposite of Rui...

this

cggonzaga
07-23-2017, 12:03 PM

Doesn't help your argument much. All turnovers hurt regardless of time in close games. Also you take the good with the bad. Take the NC. Two turnovers to start 2nd half hurt but they're not in a position to hurt had Josh not scored 13pts in first half to get us the lead. Ask the coaching staff what hurt most in that game and they'll tell you it was Collins being in foul trouble and fouling out with 4 minutes to go. Or your leading scorer shooting 5-17. Or your senior big man missing 7 bunnies.

Reborn
07-23-2017, 12:26 PM
Doesn't help your argument much. All turnovers hurt regardless of time in close games. Also you take the good with the bad. Take the NC. Two turnovers to start 2nd half hurt but they're not in a position to hurt had Josh not scored 13pts in first half to get us the lead. Ask the coaching staff what hurt most in that game and they'll tell you it was Collins being in foul trouble and fouling out with 4 minutes to go. Or your leading scorer shooting 5-17. Or your senior big man missing 7 bunnies.

I don't really get the criticism of Perkins. And yet we must remember to allow them to have their opinions. The great thing about college basketball is we don't know how next year will be nor who the heros will be. It's all fun at this time of year to try to predict what will happen and share our thoughts about the upcoming season. The one thing that I like about what Jazz said is that Perkins will not be in a supportive role next season. It's true, and I think he's looking forward to not being in that role. I like to think all the way back to when Gonzaga was recruiting him. He was one of the highest rated players we had ever gotten to sign with us. I remember being really excited when he signed. He was of the top rated point guards in the country then, and I believe he'll be that again the next two years.

cggonzaga
07-23-2017, 02:28 PM
I don't really get the criticism of Perkins. Any yet we must remember to allow them to have their opinions. The great thing about college basketball is we don't know how next year will be nor who the heros will be. It's all fun at this time of year to try to predict what will happen and share our thoughts about the upcoming season. The one thing that I like about what Jazz said is that Perkins will not be in a supportive role next season. It's true, and I think he's looking forward to not being in that role. I like to think all the way back to when Gonzaga was recruiting him. He was one of the highest rated players we had ever gotten to sign with us. I remember being really excited when he signed. He was of the top rated point guards in the country then, and I believe he'll be that again the next two years.

+1. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. It's just the incessant commenting about it that gets old. We all know how he and Abe feels about Josh so why keep bringing it up?

jazzdelmar
07-23-2017, 03:07 PM
+1. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. It's just the incessant commenting about it that gets old. We all know how he and Abe feels about Josh so why keep bringing it up?

Why keep responding?

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-23-2017, 03:24 PM
I don't really get the criticism of Perkins. Any yet we must remember to allow them to have their opinions. The great thing about college basketball is we don't know how next year will be nor who the heros will be. It's all fun at this time of year to try to predict what will happen and share our thoughts about the upcoming season. The one thing that I like about what Jazz said is that Perkins will not be in a supportive role next season. It's true, and I think he's looking forward to not being in that role. I like to think all the way back to when Gonzaga was recruiting him. He was one of the highest rated players we had ever gotten to sign with us. I remember being really excited when he signed. He was of the top rated point guards in the country then, and I believe he'll be that again the next two years.

I'm with you 100% Reborn and would add same for Silas Melson. I believe both Perkins and Melson are going to have the best seasons of their careers. Both have overcome a lot of adversity: JP the injury, obviously, but also having to change roles for the sake of the team when NWG came aboard. Same thing for Silas, he had to take a back seat to a grad transfer when Matthews came aboard last season.

As much as I love their games, I actually like Perkins and Melson even more for their team-first mentality. They have put in their time, they have done all the coaches have asked of them...now we get to see this be their team, and I cannot wait!

cggonzaga
07-23-2017, 03:32 PM
Why keep responding?

Why keep posting about it? What good does it do? Make an old bitter man feel good about himself?