• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Section 116
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Hachimura-one of 25 players with something to prove

From CBS's Matt Norlander:

Every season of college basketball provides a cluster of veteran players who become stars, guys who are asked to do more and thus find themselves competing not just for NCAA Tournament inclusion, but also all-conference accolades and even, sometimes, vaulting onto NBA mock draft boards.
    With that in mind, we're looking at 25 players who need to prove their value next season -- and have the talent to do so. Here the under-the-radar studs, all of whom that averaged less than 10.0 points last season.
    Despite limited impact last season, we can still identify 25 players who can, and should, become breakout players in 2017-18. Here they are listed in no particular order:

Rui Hachimura, Gonzaga: Barely earned playing time on a team that made the national title game, but on the heels of his incredible performance at the FIBA World Cup, in U19 play, there is big-time buzz about Hachimura's season forthcoming. He averaged 20.6 points, 11.0 rebounds and 2.4 assists while playing for Team Japan. He'll be a sophomore, and should be the next big thing down low for a program that put many forwards into the NBA.

Link:http://www.cbssports.com/college-bas...e-this-season/
  • MDABE80
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Thoughtful. Rui played 3 min per game last season and had some flashes of a high end player. Not convincing in so few minutes IMO. He did well in the FIBA games but those are a long way ( at least Japan's path) from a consistently difficult D1 schedule. He REALLY needs a killer season to qualify as an elite NBA rookie. Given this, does anyone think he'll be a star? I'm in the "wait and see" category. I'm fine with Tillie, J3. but Rui as a big (4) or solid 3 is an open question. Love to see him do 15-10. He still has a story to tell and I hope it's a great one. Norlander is reasonable in this article..
    Last edited by MDABE80; 07-21-2017, 09:18 AM.

Comment

• tyra
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Rui is an extraordinary physical talent. To be an elite basketball player requires more, however. Whether Rui can get there, while continuing to learn a language, acclimate to a different culture, and buy into a particular role within a particular system, is an open question. He has the motivation and the coaches to get him there and so I predict he will turn out to be a very special player in our program's storied history. (And that my friends, was my 1,000 post! Thanks for allowing me to be a part of this special community.)
      Last edited by tyra; 07-21-2017, 08:27 AM.

Comment

• thebigsmoove
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2007

The attention that Rui has received post U19 is incredible. I think Norlander was more than fair in his presentation of the facts.

Comment

• Plainsman
          Kennel Club
          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by tyra View Post
          Rui is an extraordinary physical talent. To be an elite basketball player requires more, however. Whether Rui can get there, while continuing to learn a language, acclimate to a different culture, and buy into a particular role within a particular system, is an open question. He has the motivation and the coaches to get him there and so I predict he will turn out to be a very special player in our program's storied history. (And that my friends, was my 1,000 post! Thanks for allowing me to be a part of this special community.)
          Heartily agree with most of this and with the high hopes for Rui. It was difficult to see where he was with his game last year with the few minutes he played but, frankly, he looked lost in participating in the offensive schemes quite often to me. I hope his increased language skills and adaptation to life in Spokane will lead to more effective understanding of and adaptation to Coach Few's system this year. A Rui that is firing on all cylinders within the system and his role would, I think, be a fearsome thing to see!

Comment

• MDABE80
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by tyra View Post
            YAY and congrats Tyra!!

Comment

• GoZags
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
              YAY and congrats Tyra!!
              Tyra. Da. Man.
              sigpic
              “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
              ——-
              List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
              Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• CdAZagFan
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2013

Rui did appear to struggle at times last year, but I think he will make a big leap this year in terms of understanding the language and basketball schemes that the coaches throw at him. The prospect of him potentially playing the 3 spot has me pretty excited - what a matchup nightmare that would be for the opposition.

Comment

• GrizZAG
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2009

Seems with his hops alone he could be an elite shot blocker and rebounder. He certainly has the size and strength to bang down low. He will understand his role on offense eventually?
                  One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Comment

• Bogozags
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jan 2008

Adam, in his junior year exploded so Rui has time to grow...

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bogozags View Post
                      Adam, in his junior year exploded so Rui has time to grow...
                      Adam's soph year was a launching pad many levels over where Rui was last year, but I see the point. I'll take soph Ammo anytime.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                        Adam's soph year was a launching pad many levels over where Rui was last year, but I see the point. I'll take soph Ammo anytime.
                        From what I saw in last night's scrimmage, Rui needs to get better against physical defenders. J3 and he got into it a bit, and Rui forced a few bad shots.

Rui will be a monster in the open court, though. Just my $.02, but he will be a first round pick in the 2018 NBA draft. He's got the body and the athleticism for the next level.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
                          From what I saw in last night's scrimmage, Rui needs to get better against physical defenders. J3 and he got into it a bit, and Rui forced a few bad shots.

Rui will be a monster in the open court, though. Just my $.02, but he will be a first round pick in the 2018 NBA draft. He's got the body and the athleticism for the next level.
                          2018? Are you shurrrrr?

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

2018? Are you shurrrrr?
                            As "shurrrr" as Fr. Tony would say "to be continued...".

Comment

• DZ
                              Zag for Life
                              • Sep 2007

Maybe I'm underestimating Rui but I'd take him having a year like Adam's frosh year. I recall one game at the Arena (against Georgia, I think?) My brother turned to me mid-way through the game, after a couple tough moves/shots by Adam and said "your best player is a freshman" and, at least as my memory serves, Stepp was on that team.
                              Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                              Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X