PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Article about Kamaka Hepa

Radbooks
07-20-2017, 07:52 AM
NBC sports has a really interesting story about Hepa...

From the Top of the World to the Edge of a Dream: Kamaka Hepa’s journey from Alaska to Division I hoops (http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/07/20/from-the-top-of-the-world-to-the-edge-of-a-dream-kamaka-hepas-journey-from-alaska-to-division-i-hoops/)

amaronizag
07-20-2017, 08:07 AM
Hey Kamaka, we don't get much rain in Spokane. It's very dry here and you would love it. Pick GU, please please!!

webspinnre
07-20-2017, 08:40 AM
Hey Kamaka, we don't get much rain in Spokane. It's very dry here and you would love it. Pick GU, please please!!

Honestly, the Spokane climate is probably pretty similar to Fairbanks, though Barrow is rather different, being all the way up there.

webspinnre
07-20-2017, 10:29 AM
The sports environment in Alaska is fascinating. As they mention, for most of the state you have to fly to play your games, and as such you play back-to-backs. When you travel, you typically are housed by the opposing team's families. By the time you finish middle school and high school, you likely have friends all over the region, and have arrangements that every time you visit a particular city you stay with a specific family, which can become a second family of sorts for you. While football is popular, basketball is the sport in the smaller communities, because its indoors, requires fewer people and less resources. Growing up, homecoming was always for basketball, not for football.

He may be right about the Native Alaska connections. The previous two big-time Alaskan basketball players were Carlos Boozer and Trajan Langdon, neither of whom were Natives.

jazzdelmar
07-20-2017, 11:06 AM
If he's good enough for the Koach, we have no shot.

cggonzaga
07-20-2017, 11:20 AM

Where do you see Koach is involved?

hockeyzag
07-20-2017, 11:26 AM
Honestly, the Spokane climate is probably pretty similar to Fairbanks, though Barrow is rather different, being all the way up there.

You're joking with the Fairbanks comment right? Spokane's climate is in no way similar to Fairbanks Alaska.

I hope we get Kamaka in the end, he seems like a perfect fit for our program.

SanDiegoZag
07-20-2017, 11:39 AM
That must be a crazy experience growing up so far north up in Alaska. It must be a pretty big culture shock living in Portland now.

From what I have read, it sounds like GU and Texas have the best shot to land Hepa, with USC and Oklahoma still very much in the conversation. If his family stays in Portland or the northwest, I'm sure that would help the Zags chances.

Silas Melson won state titles at Jefferson HS his junior and senior years...so Hepa would have something in common with a current Zag if he won another this year. 4 state titles in 4 years, at 2 schools, would be impressive.

jazzdelmar
07-20-2017, 11:46 AM
Where do you see Koach is involved?

Nowhere. Just saying.

sittingon50
07-20-2017, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the link, Rad. That was a nice article.

former1dog
07-20-2017, 01:38 PM
I wonder if the coaching staff has considered getting Felix McGowan involved in the recruiting of Hepa. Felix is also Native American from a very small town who found success at Gonzaga, both athletically and academically.

webspinnre
07-20-2017, 01:46 PM
You're joking with the Fairbanks comment right? Spokane's climate is in no way similar to Fairbanks Alaska.

I hope we get Kamaka in the end, he seems like a perfect fit for our program.

I'm overstating, but there are similarities. They're drier, inland communities, with warmer summers and colder winters. Fairbanks obviously is much colder overall, due to the differing latitude.

Bogozags
07-21-2017, 07:39 AM
I'm overstating, but there are similarities. They're drier, inland communities, with warmer summers and colder winters. Fairbanks obviously is much colder overall, due to the differing latitude.

AND they have really, really big mosquitos...I have seen four mosquitos carry a big moose off into the forest never to be seen again!

willandi
07-21-2017, 07:42 AM
AND they have really, really big mosquitos...I have seen four mosquitos carry a big moose off into the forest never to be seen again!

A moose can do that to mosquitos, even big ones! LOL

thebigsmoove
07-21-2017, 08:01 AM
From what I have read, it sounds like GU and Texas have the best shot to land Hepa, with USC and Oklahoma still very much in the conversation. If his family stays in Portland or the northwest, I'm sure that would help the Zags chances.

24/7 shows Kamaka has visited USC, Washington, and Texas in the last month or so...I dont show he has visited us, and that honestly doesnt bode well...When will he visit Spokane?

Zagdawg
07-21-2017, 08:07 AM
He has had 2-3 visits here in the last 12 months.

thebigsmoove
07-21-2017, 08:13 AM

Why are these recruiting sites so inconsistent with their reporting of unofficial visits, offers, etc.

allbusiness_zag
07-21-2017, 08:47 AM

http://24.media.tumblr.com/bc1938c21ad97be4cfba07dd045aea2b/tumblr_mgzx0ykc8a1s3hileo1_400.gif

TexasZagFan
07-21-2017, 09:22 AM
Why are these recruiting sites so inconsistent with their reporting of unofficial visits, offers, etc.

The vagaries of dealing with the whims and desires of high school age kids.

webspinnre
07-21-2017, 09:25 AM

Alaska's other state bird!

Zags_Fanatic
07-21-2017, 09:39 AM

Can confirm, also went to the Gonzaga-Portland game in Portland with one of his teammates.

thebigsmoove
07-21-2017, 12:13 PM
Can confirm, also went to the Gonzaga-Portland game in Portland with one of his teammates.

Thats good to hear. Apparently i missed that info when it happened. Glad that hes as familiar with the program as he is.

thespywhozaggedme
07-21-2017, 07:03 PM
The sports environment in Alaska is fascinating. As they mention, for most of the state you have to fly to play your games, and as such you play back-to-backs. When you travel, you typically are housed by the opposing team's families. By the time you finish middle school and high school, you likely have friends all over the region, and have arrangements that every time you visit a particular city you stay with a specific family, which can become a second family of sorts for you. While football is popular, basketball is the sport in the smaller communities, because its indoors, requires fewer people and less resources. Growing up, homecoming was always for basketball, not for football.

He may be right about the Native Alaska connections. The previous two big-time Alaskan basketball players were Carlos Boozer and Trajan Langdon, neither of whom were Natives.

Mario Chalmers

webspinnre
07-23-2017, 09:02 AM
Mario Chalmers

Ahh, thank you, you're right. He was after I left Alaska, I forgot about him.

thespywhozaggedme
07-23-2017, 10:02 AM
Ahh, thank you, you're right. He was after I left Alaska, I forgot about him.

No problem.

CDC84
07-24-2017, 10:07 PM

I am not sure if it was on Max's twitter or TSSF, but they posted a photo of Hepa at the Gonzaga/Portland game. I'm sure he visited the locker room and the whole deal.