PDA

View Full Version : We are Blue Bloods (at least in Maui)

SLOZag
07-18-2017, 12:21 PM
In a Maui-based news article about the upcoming 2017 Maui Jim Maui Invitational basketball tournament, the writer was excitedly discussing the high quality of teams the tournament has attracted:

"Over the last seven seasons, Michigan, VCU and Wichita State [scheduled to play in the 2017 tournament] have appeared in the Final Four and, along with Notre Dame, rank among the nationís winningest programs. The Shockers are fourth with 208 victories, behind blue-blood programs Kansas, Kentucky and Gonzaga"
http://mauinow.com/2017/07/18/2017-maui-jim-maui-invitational-bracket-revealed/

Can a school legitimately claim to be a blue blood when it's fan base breaks into a big grin whenever it sees itself described as a blue blood in print? Or are we all required to put on a haughty voice and say things like "But of COURSE we're blue bloods, dah'ling. That's nothing new for us."?

Zags_Fanatic
07-18-2017, 12:25 PM
Love the change in narrative, but Gonzaga is definitely not a Blue Blood yet. That said of all of the D1 programs I would say Gonzaga has the best odds of putting together a dynasty worthy of the title over the next 15 years but that would need to include at least a couple of championships and regular FF appearances. In the era of modern basketball this would be the greatest accomplishment in any sport in my humble and unbiased opinion.

sittingon50
07-18-2017, 12:36 PM
Nah; stay with the "aw schucks" mantra.

tinfoilzag
07-18-2017, 12:38 PM
Love the change in narrative, but Gonzaga is definitely not a Blue Blood yet. That said of all of the D1 programs I would say Gonzaga has the best odds of putting together a dynasty worthy of the title over the next 15 years but that would need to include at least a couple of championships and regular FF appearances. In the era of modern basketball this would be the greatest accomplishment in any sport in my humble and unbiased opinion.

One of the most important characteristics of being a Blue Blood is longevity. If we make the tournament this year, we are seeing at least 5 generations of players in the big dance. Most of today's college graduates cannot remember a time when GU wasn't playing in the tournament.

I think the moniker is only strange in older peoples' ears; myself included.

bartruff1
07-18-2017, 02:10 PM
Are to...

Robzagnut
07-18-2017, 02:27 PM
Love it. It's in print, so they can't take it back.

Where can I buy the t-shirt?

gonzagafan62
07-18-2017, 03:43 PM
Are to...

Are to...

MDABE80
07-18-2017, 04:48 PM
Doesn't matter what we are called. It's subjective. We just continue winning and going deep in the tournament and that's all that matters. The blurb calls us Blue Bloods, fine. It's marketing for the Maui tournament. Key to everything is winning. More FF's and we're there. None of it matters as the moniker is subjective anyway.

bartruff1
07-18-2017, 05:54 PM
Does to...

MDABE80
07-18-2017, 06:24 PM
too puuuuuuuuuuuulllllllllllllese

bartruff1
07-18-2017, 06:58 PM
screw ewe...to.........;)

" too " is used as a shortcut at the end ....in a argument.... to add emphasis ....

MDABE80
07-18-2017, 09:02 PM
You missed it again............"too" as in "also".:)

kitzbuel
07-18-2017, 09:47 PM
You missed it again............"too" as in "also".:)

Thank you, Abe. Fr. Powers was about to rise from his final resting place.

bartruff1
07-19-2017, 04:16 AM
Thank you, Abe. Fr. Powers was about to rise from his final resting place.

Ok....screw ewe allsow....

thebigsmoove
07-19-2017, 05:00 AM
One of the most important characteristics of being a Blue Blood is longevity. If we make the tournament this year, we are seeing at least 5 generations of players in the big dance. Most of today's college graduates cannot remember a time when GU wasn't playing in the tournament.

I think the moniker is only strange in older peoples' ears; myself included.

One of the most important characteristics is winning multiple championships over the course of several decades...We are not a blue blood, and probably never will be...and thats ok.

tinfoilzag
07-19-2017, 07:58 AM
One of the most important characteristics is winning multiple championships over the course of several decades...We are not a blue blood, and probably never will be...and thats ok.

Got it. There are 10 blue bloods in college basketball

Connecticut
Duke
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Michigan St.
NC State
North Carolina
UCLA
Villanova

thebigsmoove
07-19-2017, 08:01 AM
Got it. There are 10 blue bloods in college basketball

Connecticut
Duke
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Michigan St.
NC State
North Carolina
UCLA
Villanova

Not far off, Id probably take Nova, NC State, Michigan St and UConn down a tier, but there are certainly arguments to be made for their inclusion. Louisville maybe too.

DixieZag
07-19-2017, 08:18 AM
too puuuuuuuuuuuulllllllllllllese

Um, no "u," one l, and an "a" after the "e." "Please, please, please, please."

I note that only b/c:

1. Your thing was funny
2. Correct
2. It's the off season
3. I'm not sure how many times I've been told I'm a "self-appointed" know-it-all (b/c I don't count so good, see above).

Again, you're right, but I find it less cringe-worthy than "alot." (Which isn't seen much at all here, but tread somewhere, pretty-well anywhere else and one's overrun with it.

ZagWhoShotLibertyValance
07-19-2017, 08:24 AM
After all that and you forget the second paranthases?

tinfoilzag
07-19-2017, 08:26 AM
Not far off, Id probably take Nova, NC State, Michigan St and UConn down a tier, but there are certainly arguments to be made for their inclusion. Louisville maybe too.

Ok so really its just comes down to having more than 2 championship wins which leaves us 7

Connecticut
Duke
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
North Carolina
UCLA

thebigsmoove
07-19-2017, 08:46 AM
Ok so really its just comes down to having more than 2 championship wins which leaves us 7

Connecticut
Duke
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
North Carolina
UCLA

Pretty Much.

Id say all of them except UConn since they won their titles all roughly in the same era. But thats splitting hairs.

DixieZag
07-19-2017, 09:47 AM
After all that and you forget the second paranthases?

Always. That's a real specialty of mine. And it gets real crazy due to the fact that I over use them to begin with.

Funny observation, appropo, huh? :)

DixieZag
07-19-2017, 09:49 AM
Pretty Much.

Id say all of them except UConn since they won their titles all roughly in the same era. But thats splitting hairs.

I agree that the above list is likely the best. And, I don't think UCONN would be on it at all had they not come out of nowhere a few years ago and win as a 7 seed. That showed a little staying power that might've been enough. But, they'd be "first out" on my list if we shortened it. At least, if we're talking about the men's team.

MDABE80
07-19-2017, 10:14 AM
Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, UNC. The others on the list gave up the label. . They lost their Blue Blood label to performance, to history and everything else that derails a once great program.

Markburn1
07-19-2017, 01:47 PM
What the hey??? Embrace it. It's not like the Zags are going to be sneaking up on anybody anymore.

TheGonzagaFactor
07-20-2017, 06:35 AM
Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, UNC. The others on the list gave up the label. . They lost their Blue Blood label to performance, to history and everything else that derails a once great program.

The inarguable blue bloods are:

Duke
UNC
Kansas
Kentucky

Anyone else is at least two titles away...

Ascending into blue blood status:
Florida
Louisville
Michigan State

Next up (dormant or fading):
UCLA
UConn
Indiana
Arizona
Syracuse

GU needs to keep doing what they're doing + win multiple titles over 5 years apart.

It's almost impossible to become a blue blood. Only 4/351 schools can be called a blue blood by EVERYONE.

seacatfan
07-20-2017, 03:25 PM
It's almost impossible to become a blue blood.

That's what I keep saying. If you aren't one already, you probably aren't going to become one.

Markburn1
07-20-2017, 04:03 PM
That's what I keep saying. If you aren't one already, you probably aren't going to become one.

OK. How about "Nouveau Riche"?

seacatfan
07-20-2017, 04:17 PM
OK. How about "Nouveau Riche"?

That totally works! I think being a basketball elite is a bit more inclusive than being a blueblood, I'd definitely throw GU in the elite club.

MDABE80
07-20-2017, 07:54 PM
Long haul....say 3-4 FF's in 10 years with nice 16's or 8's in between, we'd be one. Generations pass.
Even now the 30 something's don't remember UCLA's fine years. The rest are pretty much just historical to them. New day, new champs, new legends. We can do that over time.

thebigsmoove
07-21-2017, 04:27 AM
Long haul....say 3-4 FF's in 10 years with nice 16's or 8's in between, we'd be one. Generations pass.
Even now the 30 something's don't remember UCLA's fine years. The rests are pretty much just historical to them. New day, new champs, new legends. We can do that over time.

I disagree, i dont see the Zags being a blue blood unless they consistently perform at that level for decades. Thats the story with all of the "Blue Bloods" they have been relevant for not a decade, but for multiples of decades.

GrizZAG
07-21-2017, 03:08 PM
Arguably one could classify Gonzaga as an "Elite" team IMHO. Blue Blood is kind of too reminiscent of Ivy League or some moniker of similar imagery perhaps. The
Zags definitely are on everyone's radar now, they are a program to aspire to thus elite to me. Blue Blood schmoobud :)

Zagceo
07-21-2017, 08:53 PM
I disagree, i dont see the Zags being a blue blood unless they consistently perform at that level for decades. Thats the story with all of the "Blue Bloods" they have been relevant for not a decade, but for multiples of decades.

Zags and Kansas 9 straight years of winning at least 1 NCAA game.....maybe not BB but very elite company