PDA

View Full Version : DI Menís Basketball Committee redefines quality win

Kong-Kool-Aid
07-14-2017, 11:41 AM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20046154/ncaa-tournament-committee-emphasize-quality-road-wins-next-season

This can be nothing but a good thing for us.

adoptedzag
07-14-2017, 11:41 AM
http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2017-07-14/di-mens-basketball-committee-redefines-quality-win?cid=ncaammsocial_tw_sf97839871&sf97839871=1

SMC will have to go out of state someday :)

thebigsmoove
07-14-2017, 11:51 AM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20046154/ncaa-tournament-committee-emphasize-quality-road-wins-next-season

This can be nothing but a good thing for us.

As little as we travel to true road sites these days, i dont see your logic.

sittingon50
07-14-2017, 11:52 AM
I would think you would be correct, Kool-Aid. This may really open up some nice possibilities.

Thanks for the link.

zagzilla
07-14-2017, 12:12 PM
Neutral games can also be misleading. When we go to the state of Tennessee to play the Vols but don't play on campus, that is a called neutral game. However, there is nothing neutral about the atmosphere.

Others could say the same about travelling the the BIS (if it ever comes back) to play the Zags in Seattle.

thebigsmoove
07-14-2017, 12:25 PM
Neutral games can also be misleading. When we go to the state of Tennessee to play the Vols but don't play on campus, that is a called neutral game. However, there is nothing neutral about the atmosphere.

Others could say the same about travelling the the BIS (if it ever comes back) to play the Zags in Seattle.

Exactly my thoughts. Since in recent memory most of our road games are actually tourneys or off campus "neutral" sites. I dont see how this really benefits us. Might actually change the way we schedule.

bballbeachbum
07-14-2017, 12:28 PM
this sounds good but if it helps the Zags or not? I want to believe it but I'll believe it when I see it.
Instead, sounds like another way to allow Big5 schools to get in since the low to middling Big5 schools are the ones who will get chance after chance at quality road wins.

tinfoilzag
07-14-2017, 12:42 PM
Might actually change the way we schedule.

This is the biggest influence it will have.

I think the general thought will be "We'll only play you in your state if it is your gym"

CDC84
07-14-2017, 03:01 PM
Better get to scheduling more home and homes. It would be nice to resume the UCLA series. Alford said he wanted to in the near future.

I agree that this gives an advantage to the BCS schools. Imagine the amount of quality road wins a team like North Carolina can attain in the ACC just thru a schedule that's given to them.

MDABE80
07-14-2017, 03:08 PM
It's a smart move. But looking at the right side of the screen is a review of GU-UNC. Dang we had the thing won.........I do think we'll be back in the FF sooner than most think. We have losses and need to fill those positions. Tommy will.

509er
07-14-2017, 03:11 PM
There is virtually no incentive for a BCS to play at GU unless it's as a favor/relationship thing between the programs or coaches. This hurts GU in my opinion.

bartruff1
07-14-2017, 03:16 PM
That should about eliminate any chance for a non major to get a at large...

CDC84
07-14-2017, 03:44 PM
There is virtually no incentive for a BCS to play at GU unless it's as a favor/relationship thing between the programs or coaches. This hurts GU in my opinion.

I would very much disagree with that 509er. GU has played a ton of BCS teams at K2 in recent years. Look at how many consecutive NCAA tournaments GU has been to. Look at their winning percentage. It's a high risk/high reward game, which is what BCS teams want if they are forced to play road games. Think of all the BCS teams who have visited GU.......Arizona, UCLA, Virginia, Baylor, Wake Forest, West Virginia, Oklahoma State, Stanford, Notre Dame, etc.. These weren't "favor" games. About the only "favor" game I am aware of is Michigan State for Jud. And even there, if GU could somehow find room on its schedule, I think Izzo would be in favor of doing a home and home again.

Those BCS teams visited GU because if they lost it would never look bad to the committee. If they won it would be a great win, and they would probably get a few bonus points for playing at Gonzaga. BCS teams have proven they can win at GU, so there's even more incentive. Gonzaga is also in good favor with ESPN, which also plays a factor in them being able to attract BCS opponents to play at K2. If a Notre Dame goes and plays a game at Minnesota or Tennessee, they have no idea what they're getting. They could get a 6 seed or a CBI team. They know what they're getting if they play at GU. There is a reason why all these BCS teams have played at GU in recent years. I think the home scheduling of a program like UCLA finally proved that just about the only programs who won't play at K2 are programs like Duke who won't play anyone on the road unless their league forces them to.

The issue right now has to do with conference expansion. There are less and less opportunities for teams to do home and homes. Sean Miller talked about this in his pregame presser before the GU/Zona game last season. I think the ACC is going to a 20 game league sked in 2019. There isn't as much room, and there are more and more neutral games and made for TV doubleheaders like the CBS Sports Classic. Look at North Carolina's situation. A typical deal is that they will play in a couple of the made for TV neutral games. They will play one hard road home, and one hard home game, and that's it......they have to schedule low majors from then on out for program revenue. Gonzaga has to do almost the same thing due to the 18 game WCC sked.

The reason why this NCAA committee emphasis is disadvantageous to Gonzaga is because they don't get the eight quality road win opportunities that North Carolina gets by just being in the ACC. It puts GU in a position to where they need to play 7 hard non-league road games to keep pace, and that ain't happening. It's 2017, not 1992.

MDABE80
07-14-2017, 03:58 PM
Creighton, UCLA, Zona, Butler, SMC, Washington, USC<----there's 7 ( 8 if we play SMC twice--we do) Should be easy games to arrange. What really needs to happen is what everyone knows... New league to join a strong one. Will it happen? Nobody knows. I doubt it though. Things are going pretty well as it sits now. We went to the Championship game last year.........with the schedule we had. It wasn't a hard schedule last year but it got us where we wanted.