PDA

View Full Version : The best combos in college basketball

TexasZagFan
07-14-2017, 09:00 AM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19961334/michigan-state-arizona-the-best-combos-all-college-basketball

Excerpt:

Jock Landale & Calvin Hermanson, Saint Mary's Gaels

Saint Mary's could overtake Gonzaga in the West Coast Conference if Landale and Hermanson, two of the team's top three scorers from last season, play to their potential in 2017-18. Landale could win conference player of the year honors if he builds on last season's impressive stat tally: 16.9 PPG, 9.5 RPG, 1.2 BPG. With wing forward Hermanson (43 percent from the 3-point line), the Gaels will challenge the best of the WCC and beyond next season

I don't think we'll have a bona fide "1-2" combination next year. I expect our strength to be on the defensive side, with all five players on the court contributing.

Who's going to take the shot with the game on the line? I'm a bit nervous about J3, due to his FT inconsistency. My first inclination is Silas, who has the body and the ability to take it to the rim. I suppose the answer will come during OOC.

MDABE80
07-14-2017, 10:28 AM
When the top 4 players go, ESPN or anyone won't be thinking highly of us as contenders. Kinda like when Pangos and Bell graduated. We were left with no experienced guards and we weren't rated highly.

thebigsmoove
07-14-2017, 11:04 AM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19961334/michigan-state-arizona-the-best-combos-all-college-basketball

Excerpt:

I don't think we'll have a bona fide "1-2" combination next year. I expect our strength to be on the defensive side, with all five players on the court contributing.

Who's going to take the shot with the game on the line? I'm a bit nervous about J3, due to his FT inconsistency. My first inclination is Silas, who has the body and the ability to take it to the rim. I suppose the answer will come during OOC.

Josh Perkins will be the closest thing to a star and go to player we have next year IMO. I think its his time to take over and show us what hes made of.

As far as combo? idk, i think JWIII is probably our 2nd best player. Hes got a real chance to play his way into the first round of the draft if he can be much more consistent and dominate like he did in brief spurts last year.

Bogozags
07-14-2017, 11:28 AM
I think Silas and JW3 could be an excellent 1 - 2 combination and could play off each other's strengths.

I just hope that Josh is more of a point guard than a scorer as he will have many options on the court that can score.

JW3 could be the go to guy; however, l sure hope he works on three things this summer: (1) Don't hesitate with the ball in the post, less pump fakes..."just make your move"; (2) Become very comfortable using both hands and (3) Develop a better shooting stroke from the charity stripe.

Also, I think we need a more assertive Silas Melson when he has the ball. He has a sound shooting stroke and an excellent first step. I see him truly filling the shooting guard role this year...give him the green light so to speak.

jazzdelmar
07-14-2017, 11:47 AM
Someone from the chorus will blow up, count on it.

sittingon50
07-14-2017, 11:55 AM
Someone from the chorus will blow up, count on it.

I'll start Jazz. Old news, but I never did feel Wiltjer & Rem got the kind of pub they deserved!

gonzagafan62
07-14-2017, 12:52 PM
SMC will not dethrone Zags. Book it.

TexasZagFan
07-14-2017, 02:14 PM
SMC will not dethrone Zags. Book it.

SMC has avoided the injury bug for two years. They won't have the depth if they get bit this year.

jazzdelmar
07-14-2017, 02:56 PM
Just think, our frontline next year could be Sabonis, Collins and JW3. Tils off the bench.

Reborn
07-14-2017, 06:14 PM
I'd say it's a pretty week article as it only has 8 combos and it includes Saint Mary's Hermanson and Landale. I've never felt too highly of Hermanson. IMO not one of the better players in the country. Also, I have heard of Combo guards but never combo players. It would be easier just to say who are the two best players on the elite college teams in American. Maybe using the top 20 to 25 teams in the AP poll. And then say a little about each player.

MontanaCoyote
07-14-2017, 06:50 PM
When the top 4 players go, ESPN or anyone won't be thinking highly of us as contenders. Kinda like when Pangos and Bell graduated. We were left with no experienced guards and we weren't rated highly.

I think Silas and JW3 could be an excellent 1 - 2 combination and could play off each other's strengths.

I just hope that Josh is more of a point guard than a scorer as he will have many options on the court that can score.

JW3 could be the go to guy; however, l sure hope he works on three things this summer: (1) Don't hesitate with the ball in the post, less pump fakes..."just make your move"; (2) Become very comfortable using both hands and (3) Develop a better shooting stroke from the charity stripe.

Also, I think we need a more assertive Silas Melson when he has the ball. He has a sound shooting stroke and an excellent first step. I see him truly filling the shooting guard role this year...give him the green light so to speak.

#3 on JW III ; More arc on his shot. Flattest free throw shot since Baylor. A little more arc will make the hole a whole lot bigger.

cggonzaga
07-14-2017, 07:07 PM
I'm not worried about combos. We'll have 5 double digit starters next season.

Perkins 13ppg
Melson 11ppg
Norvell 13ppg
JWIII 14ppg
Tillie 11ppg

I don't know who go to will be but I'd pick between Josh and Norvell.

DixieZag
07-15-2017, 07:15 AM
Josh Perkins will be the closest thing to a star and go to player we have next year IMO. I think its his time to take over and show us what hes made of.

As far as combo? idk, i think JWIII is probably our 2nd best player. Hes got a real chance to play his way into the first round of the draft if he can be much more consistent and dominate like he did in brief spurts last year.

Love your post.

You're right. With all the talent we had last year, it's very easy to forget that there were times that JWIII was just unstoppable.

DixieZag
07-15-2017, 07:21 AM
I'd say it's a pretty week article as it only has 8 combos and it includes Saint Mary's Hermanson and Landale. I've never felt too highly of Hermanson. IMO not one of the better players in the country. Also, I have heard of Combo guards but never combo players. It would be easier just to say who are the two best players on the elite college teams in American. Maybe using the top 20 to 25 teams in the AP poll. And then say a little about each player.

Maybe. But, we've seen Landale look so good that he alone is near unstoppable, so one could put almost anyone alongside him and be one of the best.

I think the article is more wrong is speculating that they will supplant us this year. Actually, it seems to me (Mika stayed, right?), that BYU has their best chance ever of breaking into the 1-2. Of course, no matter how good they are talent-wise, they always seem to lose games they have no business losing.

Zag_Dad
07-15-2017, 09:55 AM
. Actually, it seems to me (Mika stayed, right?), that BYU has their best chance ever of breaking into the 1-2. Of course, no matter how good they are talent-wise, they always seem to lose games they have no business losing.

Didn't Mika stay in the draft and go undrafted? I believe he's gone and BYU will be the same BYU they have been since joining the conference... loaded with potential but unable to consistently win games against the entire conference.

sittingon50
07-15-2017, 10:51 AM
Mika's gone. Was on the Heat's summer team.

There was some chatter on the BYU board that Olynyk going to Miami sure wouldn't help Mika's cause, though I think they are 2 different styles completely.