PDA

View Full Version : Few Good Men Play Tomorrow

thebigsmoove
07-14-2017, 05:01 AM
The Few Good Men Alumni team in the TBT (https://www.thetournament.com/teams/few-good-men-gonzaga-alumni?type=fan&f=592830c8ca760132497565) will play tomorrow at 5:45PM PDT in Vegas (televised via the WatchESPN app).

Dan Dickau is coaching with Steven Gray, Blake Stepp, Mike Hart, and Jeremy Pargo (also his brother, Jannero) playing. They have a pretty easy first round opponent, but things will heat up in the 2nd round against either Team Fredette or Team Utah which will televise nationally on ESPN2 at 2:45 PDT on Sunday. Should be fun to watch our former Zags this weekend!

TBT Bracket (https://www.thetournament.com/bracket)

Zags_Fanatic
07-14-2017, 10:20 AM
Matt Bouldin is playing tomorrow as well for Fort Wayne in the Midwest bracket at 3:45 if anyone is interested.

thebigsmoove
07-14-2017, 11:01 AM
Matt Bouldin is playing tomorrow as well for Fort Wayne in the Midwest bracket at 3:45 if anyone is interested.

wonder why he chose to play with them and not Few Good Men?

maynard g krebs
07-14-2017, 11:13 AM
wonder why he chose to play with them and not Few Good Men?

Fort Wayne Mad Ants of the D (now G) league has been his team for a while.

Bogozags
07-14-2017, 11:30 AM
Why are our past bigs not playing?

Zags_Fanatic
07-14-2017, 12:15 PM
Why are our past bigs not playing?

It's a big financial and time commitment for a small chance at getting paid only if you take 1st place. I think they have to cover all of their own expenses for the first two rounds and make themselves available for at least 1 month.

zagzilla
07-14-2017, 12:19 PM
I too noted the lack of bigs in the lineup. Maybe the style of play for The Tournament is more guard/shooter oriented? Would have been nice to see Sacre, for example. He's in Spokane, not signed to NBA contract and looked super-fit when I saw him ay the airport a couple of weeks ago.

Much as I love the Zags, some of these guys are getting pretty old-Dickau and Stepp are 38 and 35 respectively. Jeremy Pargo is 31 , Jannero is 37. Is Dickau player/coach or just coach?

thebigsmoove
07-14-2017, 12:27 PM
I too noted the lack of bigs in the lineup. Maybe the style of play for The Tournament is more guard/shooter oriented? Would have been nice to see Sacre, for example. He's in Spokane, not signed to NBA contract and looked super-fit when I saw him ay the airport a couple of weeks ago.

Much as I love the Zags, some of these guys are getting pretty old-Dickau and Stepp are 38 and 35 respectively. Jeremy Pargo is 31 , Jannero is 37. Is Dickau player/coach or just coach?

Just coach.

soccerdud
07-14-2017, 01:02 PM
watching them play last year, i really felt like our best player was downs. shame not to see him back. leo lyons also played really well. and that is not intended to throw any shade at pargo, our headliner.

Section 116
07-15-2017, 02:19 PM
This game should have been on for a while now but I'm not finding it? Anyone having better luck than me?

gonzagafan62
07-15-2017, 02:29 PM
This game should have been on for a while now but I'm not finding it? Anyone having better luck than me?

5:45 PT on WatchESPN section. It's not on for another 2 hours

gonzagafan62
07-15-2017, 02:29 PM

https://www.slipperstillfits.com/2017/7/15/15974952/the-tournament-gonzaga-alum-a-few-good-men-how-to-watch-online

Section 116
07-15-2017, 02:46 PM
Thanks! Apparently I can't tell the difference between EDT and PDT!

jazzdelmar
07-15-2017, 03:14 PM
Thanks! Apparently I can't tell the difference between EDT and PDT!

Welcome to the club. :D

ZagNative
07-15-2017, 04:52 PM
Game is just about to begin: http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=3079363

scrooner
07-15-2017, 05:04 PM
Game has started. When will AFGM start playing?

scrooner
07-15-2017, 05:08 PM
5-14. I guess they are saving legs, since they only have 1 sub.

scrooner
07-15-2017, 05:19 PM
24-16

gonzagafan62
07-15-2017, 05:23 PM
Ohhhhhh.... Steven Gray I've missed those corner threes by 41

scrooner
07-15-2017, 05:35 PM
36-24 at the half.

Section 116
07-15-2017, 05:52 PM
I notice Mike Hart in street clothes sitting on the bench. I have not seen the game in its entirety. Have the announcers addressed anything regarding Hart?

NontradZag
07-15-2017, 06:05 PM
So fun to watch these guys! Makes me miss each one...so talented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Section 116
07-15-2017, 06:20 PM
89-47 Few Good Men. Three point shooting looked pretty good for FGM, I'll have to check the stats!

Zagceo
07-15-2017, 06:28 PM
Andersen needs to stop shooting 3's ......tough for both teams only having 1 sub.....looked like a slow break league at times.

Gray & Blake played well

zagbeliever
07-15-2017, 06:28 PM
That was fun to watch! Still love Steven Grey's mischievous smile. :o

Section 116
07-15-2017, 06:35 PM
Recap & Boxscore: https://www.thetournament.com/bracket

See west bracket, bottom right: Few Good Men

ZagNative
07-15-2017, 06:47 PM
Recap & Boxscore: https://www.thetournament.com/bracket

See west bracket, bottom right: Few Good MenNo box score?

Martin Centre Mad Man
07-15-2017, 07:05 PM
No box score?

Scroll over the score shown on the bracket. It will bring up a game summary that includes a box score.

http://raycomsports.com/wp-core/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/TBTGM06_FINAL.jpg

ZagNative
07-15-2017, 07:22 PM
Wow. Thanks so much. Steven with 31 points!

Ekrub
07-15-2017, 07:38 PM
Jannero pargo, dnp?

Zags_Fanatic
07-15-2017, 08:09 PM
So just to clarify, the other team was up by 9 after 8 minutes and then FGM outscored them by 61 over the final 32 minutes? That is incredible. Good work mr. gray. Hopefully Anderson and get it together going forward.

SLOZag
07-15-2017, 08:37 PM

"The Fort Wayne Champs, a basketball team made up of former Mad Ants plays, are a step closer to a winner-take-all prize of $2 million thanks to a 93-76 victory over the Peoria AllStars on Saturday in Peoria, Illinois, in their first game of The Basketball Tournament. Matt Bouldin, who played last season in South Korea, led the Champs with 25 points." http://www.journalgazette.net/blog/mad-antics/20170715/former-mad-ants-win-1st-tbt-game

soccerdud
07-15-2017, 08:40 PM
interesting that anderson isn't listed on the official tbt team page. googled him and assume this is he: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_Anderson_(basketball)... but i didn't see the game so not positive.

Zagceo
07-16-2017, 01:17 PM
Matt just lost and FGM about to start

Section 116
07-16-2017, 01:40 PM
Early in announcers said Hart had food poisoning yesterday and will try to play today.

nish_mode
07-16-2017, 01:57 PM
Early in announcers said Hart had food poisoning yesterday and will try to play today.

Steven Gray looking like he should be in the NBA!

ZagsObserver
07-16-2017, 02:19 PM
It's not on espn 2 for me, like advertised. Score update anyone? Thanks

Section 116
07-16-2017, 02:25 PM
50-43 FGM Try this link: http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=3079369

Section 116
07-16-2017, 02:47 PM
74-66 FGM; 3 and half left

ZagsObserver
07-16-2017, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the updates

raise the zag
07-16-2017, 03:04 PM
Steven Gray looking like he should be in the NBA!

He has torn it up overseas since leaving GU.

He has been a French and Latvian League All-Star several times.

The leading scorer/champion in the French League as well.

He's now performing at a high level in the Greek League.

Section 116
07-16-2017, 03:06 PM
85-83 FGM Final. Good game to watch if the replay is available somewhere?

NEC26
07-16-2017, 03:09 PM
Some poor late game management but they pull it out. Hart should have held onto that ball and waited for a foul. Gave team Utah too much time to come back with over 5 seconds left. Love Stepp and he hit a couple threes but he looked a little over his head at this point. Did a good job giving spot minutes though. They needed subs.

Coach Crazy
07-16-2017, 03:10 PM
I really hope this tournament sticks around for a while.

Zagceo
07-16-2017, 03:12 PM
Ice baths for all......IV for Hart

crazy finish

ZagNative
07-16-2017, 03:16 PM
I hope someone can pull up a box score. I haven't been able to.

Section 116
07-16-2017, 04:25 PM
Check this link for boxscore: https://www.thetournament.com/bracket Click on Team Utah vs. FGM at bottom right for recap and boxscore

nish_mode
07-16-2017, 04:32 PM
Check this link for boxscore: https://www.thetournament.com/bracket Click on Team Utah vs. FGM at bottom right for recap and boxscore

It didn't look like Pargo was going full speed, but it does look like he's lost some explosiveness.

ZagNative
07-16-2017, 04:38 PM
Check this link for boxscore: https://www.thetournament.com/bracket Click on Team Utah vs. FGM at bottom right for recap and boxscoreThank you so much!

What the heck is up with Steven Gray? That guy is ON FIRE!

http://raycomsports.com/wp-core/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/TBTGM11_FINAL-few-good-men.jpg

upan8th
07-16-2017, 08:45 PM
The quality of play displayed in this tournament compared to the NBA summer league is a quantum leap above. All those scouts watching the random scuttling in the NBA summer league might actually earn their keep by finding a few genuine NBA prospects playing in the TBT. Case in point: Steven Gray, a guy who went toe to to toe w/Stephan Curry once upon a time & held his own. Comparing his play to the has-beens, never-will-be pretenders in the NBA summer league & you have to wonder. Haven't seen anyone wearing that league's clown pants who can shoot like Steven, creating his own shot or on the pick & pop. Steven's making a nice living playing in Europe & I understand, as one might expect of a GU graduate, he's fluent in French & considered a highly valued, acculturated member of his team whether it's been in Latvia, France or Greece (last stop) and will be elsewhere in the future. But, look at the last two guards on every NBA roster & tell me they're better than Steven. Younger, for sure, not better. The guy deserves a look from the NBA. A better look than he's been given thus far.

Mojo13
07-16-2017, 09:52 PM
The quality of play displayed in this tournament compared to the NBA summer league is a quantum leap above. All those scouts watching the random scuttling in the NBA summer league might actually earn their keep by finding a few genuine NBA prospects playing in the TBT. Case in point: Steven Gray, a guy who went toe to to toe w/Stephan Curry once upon a time & held his own. Comparing his play to the has-beens, never-will-be pretenders in the NBA summer league & you have to wonder. Haven't seen anyone wearing that league's clown pants who can shoot like Steven, creating his own shot or on the pick & pop. Steven's making a nice living playing in Europe & I understand, as one might expect of a GU graduate, he's fluent in French & considered a highly valued, acculturated member of his team whether it's been in Latvia, France or Greece (last stop) and will be elsewhere in the future. But, look at the last two guards on every NBA roster & tell me they're better than Steven. Younger, for sure, not better. The guy deserves a look from the NBA. A better look than he's been given thus far.

Easy there. You are laying the homerism on a little strong.
Gray is a long way from an NBA talent and the NBA summer league has way, way more talent in it than this side show. Gray is a decent player but he has played on average to poor teams in decent European domestic leagues so far.
I'm not sure you realize the gulf in talent on the average teams in Europe to the good teams in Europe (the Euroleague teams) and then to the NBA.

If he could put up similar numbers on a Euroleague calibre team then you might have an arguement. Right now it just sounds silly.

Gray had plenty of shots in the NBA summer league and never really impressed.

raise the zag
07-17-2017, 04:05 AM
only 7 deep?

of all the boxscores, FGM showing the least depth.

What about Kevin Palmer? Or Kamari Murphy? Jannero Pargo? Are they still on the roster?

Kevin Palmer would be a great fit and need at the wing.

They have a great chance at making the Final Eight.

ZagsObserver
07-17-2017, 06:24 AM
Agreed. Murphy and jannero are needed. Was Anderson a late, desperate addition because the others couldn't make it.

Rangerzag
07-17-2017, 08:23 AM
They played with only six on Saturday.

Saxon_zag
07-17-2017, 09:49 AM
Announcers did say the team would have Jannero Pargo for the remaining games.

zagbeliever
07-17-2017, 10:03 AM
Gray is a long way from an NBA talent and the NBA summer league has way, way more talent in it than this side show. Gray is a decent player but he has played on average to poor teams in decent European domestic leagues so far.
I'm not sure you realize the gulf in talent on the average teams in Europe to the good teams in Europe (the Euroleague teams) and then to the NBA.

If he could put up similar numbers on a Euroleague calibre team then you might have an arguement. Right now it just sounds silly.

You are misinformed regarding his Euroleague. He has been outstanding on the teams he has played for each and every year. He has has had outstanding numbers.

zagbeliever
07-17-2017, 10:07 AM
They played with only six on Saturday.

The number of players they got for roster depended on fan votes. Sadly the votes were not there for a huge roster. I thought the voting was a little difficult this year but still voted. They should make a change next year as far as the method of voting goes. I think they get to add a player each game they win

Zagdawg
07-17-2017, 10:19 AM
AFGM currently has qty 9 players on the roster.

Each participating team gets 9 players -- then must pay for any more up to 15 players. The voting only counts for getting the team into the tournament --does not make a difference for number of players that can play on the team.

Rule below:

2. Any Team seeking to add Player beyond the first nine (9) Players or add any Player after June 1, 2017 shall only be permitted to add the Player to the Team’s roster after a $1,000 Player Registration Fee has been received by the Producer.
a. The $1,000 Player Registration Fee must be paid to Producer prior to the registration of Players ten (10) through fifteen (15). If a Team seeks to add a Player after playing a game in the Tournament, the Player Registration Fee shall increase by $1,000 per round and similarly must be received prior to the Player’s registration.

For players -- missing Kamari Murphy, Kevin Palmer and Jannero Pargo in the 2nd game -- but had Jake Anderson who is not showing as on AFGM per the website roster (per box score)

zagbeliever
07-17-2017, 10:22 AM
AFGM currently has qty 9 players on the roster.

Each participating team gets 9 players -- then must pay for any more up to 15 players. The voting only counts for getting the team into the tournament --does not make a difference for number of players that can play on the team.

Rule below:

2. Any Team seeking to add Player beyond the first nine (9) Players or add any Player after June 1, 2017 shall only be permitted to add the Player to the Team’s roster after a $1,000 Player Registration Fee has been received by the Producer.
a. The $1,000 Player Registration Fee must be paid to Producer prior to the registration of Players ten (10) through fifteen (15). If a Team seeks to add a Player after playing a game in the Tournament, the Player Registration Fee shall increase by $1,000 per round and similarly must be received prior to the Player’s registration.

I guess I misunderstood. Not the first time lol Thanks for clarification

Mojo13
07-17-2017, 01:04 PM
You are misinformed regarding his Euroleague. He has been outstanding on the teams he has played for each and every year. He has has had outstanding numbers.

By that response I can only assume you don't understand what I am referring to nor know what the Euroleague is, nor understand how European basketball works. It is not an easy system to figure out as there is high disparity among leagues and teams within leagues. Much more disparity than between and within NCAA conferences.

He has put up good stats - I don't disagree with you, but on average to poor teams, in average leagues.

There is massive disparity between teams within the French and Greek leagues (his last two stops).
A better marker for a team's quality is what international league they play in - the Euroleague being by far the top league, then the EuroCup, then the FIBA European Champions League.

Pangos playing on Zalgiris, a Euroleague team, is far more insightful to the level he plays at (very near NBA), than the fact he is playing in the Lithuanian league.

Further Gray's stats are nothing abnormal. International designated import players (usually Americans), because they are limited per team typically are the best players on a team. If they are not they are quickly replaced - as there are an endless supply of quality American bball players looking for a job.

Stephan literally needs to be one of his team's 1 or 2 best or he would be out of a job. If he can't be easily be seen as a team's top player he won't make that team - so he will find himself only on teams where his the best player. So far it has only been mediocre teams. Being a top player on a medicore team is not really a mark of success (it is expected for imports). Being a solid player on a top team (like Pangos) is a better marker of success.

Until he puts those types of stats up for a top level European club (any Euroleague team or a very good EuroCup team) he is a long, long way from the NBA.

Gray seems to have done well so far - so I expect him to improve the quality of team he plays for. Bigger stadiums, bigger crowds, bigger budgets more pay. It can be a grind to work your way up the Euro ranks. That is a testament to Pangos for getting to the Euroleague level after his rookie season and playing fairly well last year.

upan8th
07-17-2017, 01:51 PM
Mojo, there are dozens of never will be's filling out rosters in the NBA summer league who couldn't carry SG's jock. The games, from a basketball strategy standpoint, are barely watchable. As an aficionado of the Euro league game, I doubt you'll disagree. Steven's showed steady improvement where ever he's played in Europe. He was given scant playing time in the first NBA training camps he attended. The bottom line is this: At this point in his career, if he has just a small opening from the 3 point line, he'll make the shot four out of ten times. His handles need some work, but he's not a point guard. I don't even know if he's looking for a chance to make an NBA roster, but if the league still has room for the T J McConnells' and Nick Stauskas' there should be room for a superior shooter, athlete like Gray. Regardless, I expect him to be offered by one of the Euroleague's top level teams within the next two years, just as Pargo was.

zagbeliever
07-17-2017, 02:46 PM
By that response I can only assume you don't understand what I am referring to nor know what the Euroleague is, nor understand how European basketball works. It is not an easy system to figure out as there is high disparity among leagues and teams within leagues. Much more disparity than between and within NCAA conferences.

He has put up good stats - I don't disagree with you, but on average to poor teams, in average leagues.

There is massive disparity between teams within the French and Greek leagues (his last two stops).
A better marker for a team's quality is what international league they play in - the Euroleague being by far the top league, then the EuroCup, then the FIBA European Champions League.

Pangos playing on Zalgiris, a Euroleague team, is far more insightful to the level he plays at (very near NBA), than the fact he is playing in the Lithuanian league.

Further Gray's stats are nothing abnormal. International designated import players (usually Americans), because they are limited per team typically are the best players on a team. If they are not they are quickly replaced - as there are an endless supply of quality American bball players looking for a job.

Stephan literally needs to be one of his team's 1 or 2 best or he would be out of a job. If he can't be easily be seen as a team's top player he won't make that team - so he will find himself only on teams where his the best player. So far it has only been mediocre teams. Being a top player on a medicore team is not really a mark of success (it is expected for imports). Being a solid player on a top team (like Pangos) is a better marker of success.

Until he puts those types of stats up for a top level European club (any Euroleague team or a very good EuroCup team) he is a long, long way from the NBA.

Gray seems to have done well so far - so I expect him to improve the quality of team he plays for. Bigger stadiums, bigger crowds, bigger budgets more pay. It can be a grind to work your way up the Euro ranks. That is a testament to Pangos for getting to the Euroleague level after his rookie season and playing fairly well last year.

You are right in that I am not well informed about the Euroleague or it's tiers. I just check in on our boys and how they are doing and Steven has always been the top scorer etc on whatever team he plays. I hope he continues to succeed

Mojo13
07-17-2017, 02:51 PM
Mojo, there are dozens of never will be's filling out rosters in the NBA summer league who couldn't carry SG's jock. The games, from a basketball strategy standpoint, are barely watchable. As an aficionado of the Euro league game, I doubt you'll disagree. Steven's showed steady improvement where ever he's played in Europe. He was given scant playing time in the first NBA training camps he attended. The bottom line is this: At this point in his career, if he has just a small opening from the 3 point line, he'll make the shot four out of ten times. His handles need some work, but he's not a point guard. I don't even know if he's looking for a chance to make an NBA roster, but if the league still has room for the T J McConnells' and Nick Stauskas' there should be room for a superior shooter, athlete like Gray. Regardless, I expect him to be offered by one of the Euroleague's top level teams within the next two years, just as Pargo was.

I'm sorry but I disagree (except for the SL sucking part - but that is because it is mostly for raw 19/20 year olds getting their feet wet).
There is nothing on Gray's resume that says he is anything near an NBA player.
11 points a game for a sub par Greek League team on 40% shooting is miles away from the Euroleague let alone the NBA. It is even debatable if he has improved much over the last couple years. The quality of teams he has played for hasn't improved - and probably gotten worse. He was even cut from the French team (BCM Gravlines in Dec 2016) for poor performance. As said, you need to perform as the top 1 or 2 player or you will quickly and ruthlessly be replaced. People love wearing their GU rose color glasses here - I am just trying to counter that predictable discussion.

I'll be the first to buy you a beer if he ever makes a Euroleague team - he is not near that calibre now and doesnt look to be on the path to get there.

Gray is certainly not a superior player to McConnell or Stauskas, they are proven NBA calibre players. It is unknown if Gray could much get a shot off against NBA length and athleticism. Gray might be better than some Summer League players, but that is because the SL is filled with 19/20 year olds being looked at for potential. The veteran European league players in SL are mostly superior players to Gray.

Not trying to troll here - just trying to be realistic.

Please make a case for Gray. What stats scream NBA potential? What is the career path that is showing steady improvement? I don't see it, but he is certainly not a guy I have followed too closely. His 16/17 season was his worst season - pretty ugly actually. Who knows maybe he had a nagging injury or something and this past year is an anomaly.

The guys closest to the NBA to me are Pangos, Harris, Pargo and Daye. I guess you throw Wiltjer in with that bunch now that he was waived by the Clippers. Gray seems a big step down to those guys. Granted Pangos and Harris are probably only playing in the Euroleague because of their European passports.

Worthington
07-17-2017, 03:40 PM
What Mojo is saying is pretty much the cold, hard truth (although Steven is still making good money playing high level basketball in Greece so it's really not all that bad). In Gray's defense though, The Basketball Tournament is full of Ex-NBA players and guys who are still borderline NBA players and Gray has been a tournament standout so far. I expected Few Good Men to be matched up against a team consisting of 5 Ex-NBA players (Joe Alexander, Willie Warren, Alex Kirk, Ike Diogu, Cartier Martin) in the next round, but they got knocked out while Gray powered his team into the "Super Sixteen".

willandi
07-17-2017, 08:32 PM

How many lottery picks have impressed in the NBA summer league? And they are supposed to be the best of the college draft picks.

willandi
07-17-2017, 08:37 PM
Just a question. How do players get to be proven to be an NBA caliber player if they never get the chance to play in the NBA?

upan8th
07-17-2017, 09:31 PM
Last comment. Thread getting more tangential, less relevant, with each post. McConnell & Stauskas are in the League only because they've played on miserable, play to lose, Sixers teams the last few seasons - the worst players on woeful teams. Steven (not Stephan) is certainly more athletic and, if his 64 points in his last two games are an indication, hasn't lost his ability to shoot the basketball. But, you're right, he wouldn't get an invite to an NBA camp even if he averaged 40+ points in each of the rest of the tournament games and led his team to win the whole thing.

I'm marking today's date & will look forward two years. If Steven hasn't appeared on a legitimate Euroleague roster before then, I'll send you a voucher for a growler of your favorite brew. Trust you'll do the same when (in your view) he does the impossible & signs with a Euroleague team.

Ezag
07-18-2017, 07:35 AM
NBA or no NBA, these players should be happy that they can get paid to play basketball in the first place. Basketball is truly a worldwide sport with tons of leagues to play in and earn a decent living from which can't be said about other sports like Football and Baseball. You have 301 NBA player slots and about 32,000 college b-ball players.

Vanzagger
07-18-2017, 08:18 AM
I remember Gray being the best player on the court vs Sandiego State. Dumping 35 on Kawhi and company was bad ass.

Goshzagit
07-18-2017, 10:40 AM
Gray did make a $half-mil$ last year. About on par with the NBA league minimum (contract/season players).

speaking of, surreal to think Olynyk is making $12.5 mil per year these days.

bartruff1
07-18-2017, 11:32 AM
He was every bit as good as Curry in that game with Davidson....he needs a promoter like the Ball Boys have...;)

ZagNative
07-18-2017, 12:41 PM
vote for Steven for MVP of the tourney so far: https://twitter.com/thetournament/status/887406102228414464

ZagNative
07-19-2017, 11:10 AM
vote for Steven for MVP of the tourney so far: https://twitter.com/thetournament/status/887406102228414464Have you voted yet?

thebigsmoove
07-19-2017, 11:48 AM
Yep! only 30 minutes left to vote, Steven is 1% behind Alonzo Coleman.

mgadfly
07-20-2017, 08:31 AM
SG would destroy a lot of the guys in the NBL summer league and G-League. That does not mean he is on the verge of being an NBA player.

The difference is he is 28 years old and should be playing the best ball of his life, right now. Asking a 19 or 20 year old who has been invited to the NBA summer league in order to fill out a roster spot who will never play in the NBA to compete with a good international-level player that is in his prime is unfair. How many of the guys that end up in the G-League making $26,000 per year would trade places with International players making $500,000 per year if given the chance? While it will be interesting to see if the new 2-way deals increases the talent level of the G-League, right now the best talent in the world outside of the NBA is not going to be found in a summer league for rookies or a development league for young players.

Zagdawg
07-21-2017, 10:07 AM
TBT Retweeted
Team Challenge ALS‏ @TMchallengeALS 36m36 minutes ago
��New player alert �� @TMchallengeALS has signed Austin Daye. He will be playing in @thetournament this weekend.

Daye signed on to play against A Few Good Men--- now there is a good Zag at heart (yes sarcasm).

gonzagafan62
07-21-2017, 10:14 AM
TBT Retweeted
��New player alert �� @TMchallengeALS has signed Austin Daye. He will be playing in @thetournament this weekend.

Daye signed on to play against A Few Good Men--- now there is a good Zag at heart (yes sarcasm).

Hopefully we end his season as quickly as it started.

Zags_Fanatic
07-21-2017, 10:17 AM
TBT Retweeted

Interesting development to say the least. Days played for FGM last year and did not play well. Honestly don't know which side was the snub, maybe Pargo didn't invite him back this year and he has a chip on his shoulder.

zagsfanforlife
07-21-2017, 11:13 AM
Interesting development to say the least. Days played for FGM last year and did not play well. Honestly don't know which side was the snub, maybe Pargo didn't invite him back this year and he has a chip on his shoulder.

I like Austin, have worked with him a few times... this is kinda shady on the surface... but lets be honest--- if you watched the games last year and he plays like he did last year this will be addition (for AFGM) by addition (for ALS). Dude stunk up the joint.

Lewey
07-21-2017, 02:54 PM
I like Austin, have worked with him a few times... this is kinda shady on the surface... but lets be honest--- if you watched the games last year and he plays like he did last year this will be addition (for AFGM) by addition (for ALS). Dude stunk up the joint.

His length could be a problem for FGM. They don't have a lot of size. Austin has that and can get a lot of blocks.

jazzdelmar
07-22-2017, 10:12 AM
Let's just hope Austin is his usual self.

Zagdawg
07-22-2017, 12:10 PM
"Play my game and score" said Daye. This may work out in our favor.

https://twitter.com/thetournament/status/888852874037518336

Zagdawg
07-22-2017, 12:19 PM
A Few Good Men game starting now on ESPN 2.

sittingon50
07-22-2017, 12:54 PM
Hard to watch thus far. Lot of bad 3's being taken & Gray not heating up yet. FGM are the smaller team.

whatazag
07-22-2017, 01:01 PM
Rough so far. Not running a lot of good plays on offense and keep getting mismatches on D. Pargo (Jeremy) keeps ending up defending way bigger guys under the basket.

MDABE80
07-22-2017, 01:03 PM
As with out own present team, Zags (Few good men) need a big. Our alums surely do play hard though. Hart is still the "disruption".

zagsfanforlife
07-22-2017, 01:09 PM
Its too bad there are so few Zags on this squad. Doesnt really feel like even a zags team to me. This game is the Pargo brick show and a lot of just jacking up unforced shots. Dont all the zags get together over the summer? Couldnt get more zags on the team?

zagsfanforlife
07-22-2017, 01:35 PM
To say this is bad basketball would be an understatement. Yikes

zagsfanforlife
07-22-2017, 01:46 PM
IDK who Kevin Palmer is but he has shot 4 times, with 3 airballs

doctorzag
07-22-2017, 04:08 PM
Its too bad there are so few Zags on this squad. Doesnt really feel like even a zags team to me. This game is the Pargo brick show and a lot of just jacking up unforced shots. Dont all the zags get together over the summer? Couldnt get more zags on the team?

Pargo`s whole Zag career was a brick show.

maynard g krebs
07-22-2017, 04:39 PM
Watched about 5 minutes. Just ratball, basically.

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-22-2017, 05:04 PM
Coach Few needs to give his alumni guys some good natured ribbing and protect his brand:

"If you're gonna use my name, you gotta have an all Zags team and you gotta play better!"

jazzdelmar
07-22-2017, 06:12 PM
Pargo`s whole Zag career was a brick show.

Uh-uh. He put up Chainsaws. The worst shooting pg. but no doubt the best dunker over teammates and folding chairs.

soccerdud
07-22-2017, 07:09 PM
The worst shooting pg.

meech (inarguable), dstockton/pmac (comparable)...

jazzdelmar
07-22-2017, 07:23 PM
meech (inarguable), dstockton/pmac (comparable)...

Close, you're right. But I have no memory of this Meech of which you speak.

soccerdud
07-22-2017, 08:35 PM
Close, you're right. But I have no memory of this Meech of which you speak.

he had his flaws, but he also had an iconic ncaa tournament moment. he'll always be special to me for that.

eta: i also think fondly of him whenever we struggle to break a press.

bartruff1
07-22-2017, 09:17 PM
Coach Few needs to give his alumni guys some good natured ribbing and protect his brand:

"If you're gonna use my name, you gotta have an all Zags team and you gotta play better!"

That was DD's offense....

thebigsmoove
08-02-2017, 12:55 PM
Looks like Austin Daye is playing in the championship with Team Challenge ALS tomorrow at 7pm EST on ESPN. Apparently he was a late add with the same team that took down Few Good Men.

kitzbuel
08-03-2017, 03:46 PM
Looks like Austin Daye is playing in the championship with Team Challenge ALS tomorrow at 7pm EST on ESPN. Apparently he was a late add with the same team that took down Few Good Men.He has looked pretty good.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

thebigsmoove
08-04-2017, 07:50 AM
SR article on him:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/aug/03/a-summer-tournament-at-tiny-coppin-state-is-a-path/