PDA

View Full Version : Recruits that Got away...

thebigsmoove
07-13-2017, 05:01 AM
Recent discussion about some guys who were recruiting locks until other things came up had me thinking about who are some recruits that we barely missed out on?

Ill start it off with the following:

Brock Osweiler (I remember when he was an underclassmen at Flathead and was 100% going to be the next shaggy haired star at GU)

A couple of others ive heard about recently:
Ian Mahinmi
Mathias Lessort

I do think this is related to what we are doing now in that we are probably talking to some guys who will get away, Lets keep this in the MBB thread for a bit, eh?

JPtheBeasta
07-13-2017, 05:53 AM
Wiltjer

kyle dixon
07-13-2017, 05:57 AM
:)

GoZags
07-13-2017, 06:15 AM
Jordan Farmar is the guy I took most personally .... as he, his mom and I chatted while walking from the parking lot to Gertsen prior to an LMU game. The entire Zag team went to his h.s. game during that Pep/LMU swing, and he was a dead lock for GU until his estranged father "re-emerged" in his life and struck up a "friendship" with Ben Howland. As I tend to say (perhaps too often) .... "nothing is in the bag until it is in the bag".

MickMick
07-13-2017, 06:35 AM
Joe Harris.

An example of why I don't fret about the recent commits from in state players.

gonzagafan62
07-13-2017, 07:23 AM
Does getting Demetri Goodson over Damien Lillard count?

Schmitty
07-13-2017, 07:36 AM
Luke Ridnour.. He was a Zag until UO offered his dad a coaching gig, or something along those lines..?

kitzbuel
07-13-2017, 08:44 AM
Joe Harris.

An example of why I don't fret about the recent commits from in state players.
Yes

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

SageOfZagville
07-13-2017, 08:55 AM
If Brandon Roy would have signed on(we were his second choice according to reports), that team would have won the national championship. They should have gone to the final four without him, but there was that hiccup with UCLA. Another that would have made a great difference would have been Jon Brockman. Another Possible final four team with him on board. We were very close with him as well.

CDC84
07-13-2017, 09:31 AM
Brandon Roy was exceptionally close to signing with GU. The closest GU has been to signing an "inner city" Seattle kid by far. The 2004/05 team would have had a starting lineup of Raivio, Roy, Morrison, Batista and Turiaf. It would've been the best team in the nation. People forget....the 2004/05 team was the most "accomplished" regular season GU team in school history. They beat two top 5 teams and a whole slew of other opponents. They just played a horrific 10 minutes in the 2nd half against Texas Tech in the NCAA's. If they had made the sweet 16, I would've wagered big bucks on them making the final four. They had a major frontcourt advantage against all three teams in Albuquerque.

It's crazy to think how good they would've been if Brandon Roy had been on that team. You talk about talent.

sittingon50
07-13-2017, 09:32 AM
Luke Ridnour.. He was a Zag until UO offered his dad a coaching gig, or something along those lines..?

Was gonna' mention Ridnour also Smitty.

I believe the Coaching thing is a myth however. Kid just changed his mind.

sittingon50
07-13-2017, 09:35 AM
And to interpret "recruits that got away" in a different way, I'll say Grant Gibbs. Loved that kid; wish we would have had the healthier version.

CDC84
07-13-2017, 09:39 AM
Joe Harris was the biggest whiff I can think of in Few's coaching tenure. They flat out felt he was Big Sky material at BEST. Joe and his family were regulars at GU games. It was his dream to play at GU.

Recruiting can be strange at times. Even the best coaches misjudge players.

thebigsmoove
07-13-2017, 09:54 AM
Joe Harris was the biggest whiff I can think of in Few's coaching tenure. They flat out felt he was Big Sky material at BEST. Joe and his family were regulars at GU games. It was his dream to play at GU.

Tony Bennett really dug deep on that one though. Nobody else was even looking at him high major right?

Zagdawg
07-13-2017, 10:36 AM
Biggs Mcgee ever gets additional eligibility -- we need to make another run at him.

ZagNative
07-13-2017, 11:03 AM
So the one star drew me to this thread. I don't find anything offensive. Go figure ...

JPtheBeasta
07-13-2017, 11:06 AM
Nice history lesson, folks. I didn't know about a couple of those. As a person who dwells on mistakes and what-might-have beens I would need a psychologist if I was I was a GU coach. This team has been so close to ascendency multiple times without some of these guys we could have had and who likely would have put us over the top.

thebigsmoove
07-13-2017, 11:31 AM
So the one star drew me to this thread. I don't find anything offensive. Go figure ...

Im just an offensive kind of guy. Sorry ZagNative, ill try to clean up my image. ;)

scrooner
07-13-2017, 11:49 AM
Deon Thompson

thespywhozaggedme
07-13-2017, 11:58 AM
Mario Kasun

TheGonzagaFactor
07-13-2017, 12:09 PM

I was told by a friend of his (she went to school with him in Chelan) that he was going to go with Bennett pretty much no matter what after I mentioned how mad I was that he was at UVA and not GU during the 2012-13 season.

He would've been a great player at GU.

GoZags
07-13-2017, 12:31 PM
Mario Kasun

Mario spent a year on campus and in my mind IS (and always will be) a Zag. But you are right .... it would have been awesome to see him on the floor. Of course if he would have stayed, there never would have been a Zag named Ronny Turiaf.

Zags_Fanatic
07-13-2017, 12:32 PM
Mario Kasun

This is #1 for me, even though the staff didn't miss on recruiting him and he just wasn't eligible.

23dpg
07-13-2017, 01:43 PM
The kid that ended up going to Vanderbilt. Taylor? He was from NM. It seemed like he was bound for Gonzaga. Just my perception though, no idea how close it was.

jazzdelmar
07-13-2017, 01:52 PM
Malik Pope, thank goodness.

jazzdelmar
07-13-2017, 01:53 PM
Jordan Farmar is the guy I took most personally .... as he, his mom and I chatted while walking from the parking lot to Gertsen prior to an LMU game. The entire Zag team went to his h.s. game during that Pep/LMU swing, and he was a dead lock for GU until his estranged father "re-emerged" in his life and struck up a "friendship" with Ben Howland. As I tend to say (perhaps too often) .... "nothing is in the bag until it is in the bag".

Yup. Flop Jordan in THAT game and Zags are FF for sure.

thespywhozaggedme
07-13-2017, 01:53 PM
Nolan Narain; from all accounts he was virtually a lock to commit to us and then he pulls a fast one and commits to San Diego State. From all accounts it looks like we lucked out on that one. LOL

Zags11
07-13-2017, 02:51 PM

Little kids.

Martin Centre Mad Man
07-13-2017, 03:59 PM
Wasn't Greivis Vasquez a near miss for us?

bartruff1
07-13-2017, 04:00 PM
I was told by a friend of his (she went to school with him in Chelan) that he was going to go with Bennett pretty much no matter what after I mentioned how mad I was that he was at UVA and not GU during the 2012-13 season.

He would've been a great player at GU.

His dad told me that....he was going with Bennett ...PERIOD....no one else, including Gonzaga was ever seriously considered...

CDC84
07-13-2017, 04:14 PM
I think we have two definitions of a whiff going on in this thread. It might be confusing the discussion:

Whiff #1 A player that GU scouted at one point, but ultimately judged not to be good enough and were proven wrong. Example: UVA's Joe Harris. Few never thought anything of him as prospect.

Whiff #2 A player that GU scouted, and really, really wanted, but missed out on. Example: UNC's Deon Thompson who said to a Charlotte newspaper that his chief decision for not choosing Gonzaga is that he didn't want to play in the WCC. He really enjoyed his visit, liked the coaching staff. But heck, Carolina is Carolina, and the ACC is the ACC. The coolest part about Thompson's recruitment was how much Turiaf helped out the staff. He called Deon a lot, trying to sell the Zags.

There are obviously way more instances of #2 happening than #1 happening.

Coach Crazy
07-13-2017, 06:23 PM
Nolan Narain; from all accounts he was virtually a lock to commit to us and then he pulls a fast one and commits to San Diego State. From all accounts it looks like we lucked out on that one. LOL

Nolan who? Kidding. But seriously, he had a better chance at become something here. In terms of development opportunities, he made a terrible mistake. However, his lack of playing time may very well be because he didn't translate at the next level. I'd rather have Sabonis and every other impact big we've had over Nolan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seacatfan
07-13-2017, 07:30 PM
The kid that ended up going to Vanderbilt. Taylor? He was from NM. It seemed like he was bound for Gonzaga. Just my perception though, no idea how close it was.

Jeffery Taylor? Had a solid career at Vandy, but was kinda inconsistent, never quite put it all together. Seemed like he could've been more than he turned out to be.

scrooner
07-14-2017, 07:21 AM
I think we have two definitions of a whiff going on in this thread. It might be confusing the discussion:

Whiff #1 A player that GU scouted at one point, but ultimately judged not to be good enough and were proven wrong. Example: UVA's Joe Harris. Few never thought anything of him as prospect.

Whiff #2 A player that GU scouted, and really, really wanted, but missed out on. Example: UNC's Deon Thompson who said to a Charlotte newspaper that his chief decision for not choosing Gonzaga is that he didn't want to play in the WCC. He really enjoyed his visit, liked the coaching staff. But heck, Carolina is Carolina, and the ACC is the ACC. The coolest part about Thompson's recruitment was how much Turiaf helped out the staff. He called Deon a lot, trying to sell the Zags.

There are obviously way more instances of #2 happening than #1 happening.

I assume we're talking about both here. The OP said "recruits that we barely missed out on".