PDA

View Full Version : The Goal

Markburn1
07-11-2017, 10:59 AM
With success comes expectations. Coach Few and the staff at Gonzaga have worked long and hard to finally reach the Final Four. A monumental achievement for a small school in the Pacific Northwest operating out of a conference that has garnered little respect. The question becomes what, if anything, has changed in terms of goals for this next season and beyond.

In the past, the stated goals were to win the regular season WCC crown, win the conference tournament and make the tournament. There was little to no mention of a Final Four or National championship. That isn't to say that the staff did not have those aspirations, but they never articulated it in public. I don't think that will change publicly, but will the staff raise the bar with the current players and have they given potential recruits a reason to believe that they intend to make deep runs in the tournament with the ultimate prize as their legitimate goal?

Coach Few and the staff have been methodical in their approach to building the program block by block. Is it time to take a bolder approach or is "steady as she goes" still the mantra?

Very intriguing.

thebigsmoove
07-11-2017, 11:11 AM
I think the staff has had the goal of reaching a final four for years now. Now its more of, lets make that a regular occurrence and occasionally challenge for a national title. To be honest, thats the goal at every major program these days.

Zagceo
07-11-2017, 11:23 AM
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/gonz/sports/genrel/auto_original/9481860.jpeg?1475200380

sittingon50
07-11-2017, 11:28 AM
Really looking forward to seeing the completed version in a few month's, ceo.

Zagceo
07-11-2017, 11:37 AM
Must be a special Summer for players and coaches basking in first final four......getting ready to open Volkar Center and looking forward to PK Tourney .......Neil Everett refers to Zags as "Americas Team" on SportsCenter......how times have changed.

77Zag
07-11-2017, 12:59 PM
Pressing the FF. I can't think of anything short of a goal to win a National Championship --

To me, this is a life extender. I swore, all I every wanted before I go was to see the Zags make the FF - my wish was answered and that experience was the greatest. Loved being in AZ with my boys and friends to witness history. So now....before I go, I want a National Championship. I'm not that old, but the sooner the better.

Go Zags --

GoZags
07-11-2017, 01:42 PM
Pressing the FF. I can't think of anything short of a goal to win a National Championship --

To me, this is a life extender. I swore, all I every wanted before I go was to see the Zags make the FF - my wish was answered and that experience was the greatest. Loved being in AZ with my boys and friends to witness history. So now....before I go, Ii want a National Championship. I'm not that old, but the sooner the better.

Go Zags --

"(Deleted cuss word) yeah you're 'not that old' ".

Agree with your sentiments '77.

77Zag
07-11-2017, 02:56 PM

+1

I knew it would fire up some of the team. Go Zags!!

Zagger
07-11-2017, 03:13 PM
They and we know what a Zags team can do ..... Yes, some of it is luck (bounce of the ball) but you have to be in a position to take advantage of that 'luck'. GU certainly put themselves into that position. The team has to have the yearning too. I'll bet anyone and everyone from this past season's team has had their appetite whetted significantly. Three Zags come to mind instantly - Perkins, Melson and Williams (Tillie too for that matter). I'm guessing all 3-4 are working hard at improving their game and teamwork. They've gained some confidence being in the Championship game that will be a new factor in 17-18. Less doubt, more clout! Coaches, their style/methods/tactics have been rewarded. It may take a few games to build some synergy ..... or the Zags could come out swinging. The intimidation factor has got to rattle the competition somewhat. Other players/teams may call them light weights, rank the WCC, etc. but that talk will be shallow and accompanied by a sweaty brow when they get on the boards with the Zags.

Expectations .... you bet. I expect the Zags to kick some serious butt!

DixieZag
07-11-2017, 04:57 PM

Ironic that had he made that his goal in '98, one would have had a life expectancy measured in centuries to believe it would happen.

We're all day to day, so - yeah, this year would be just fine.:)

229SintoZag
07-11-2017, 09:49 PM
With success comes expectations. Coach Few and the staff at Gonzaga have worked long and hard to finally reach the Final Four. A monumental achievement for a small school in the Pacific Northwest operating out of a conference that has garnered little respect. The question becomes what, if anything, has changed in terms of goals for this next season and beyond.

In the past, the stated goals were to win the regular season WCC crown, win the conference tournament and make the tournament. There was little to no mention of a Final Four or National championship. That isn't to say that the staff did not have those aspirations, but they never articulated it in public. I don't think that will change publicly, but will the staff raise the bar with the current players and have they given potential recruits a reason to believe that they intend to make deep runs in the tournament with the ultimate prize as their legitimate goal?

Coach Few and the staff have been methodical in their approach to building the program block by block. Is it time to take a bolder approach or is "steady as she goes" still the mantra?

Very intriguing.

I disagree with the bolded premise of this post.

It has been a goal to reach the Final Four and to win a National Championship for many years now. That will remain the goal.

All that has changed in my judgment is that reaching a Natty has shown how realistic and achievable that goal is for the program now, no matter what the conference is or where GU is located.

Despite the banner year we just had, Gonzaga's best days sill lie ahead.....

bartruff1
07-12-2017, 04:50 AM
I honestly believe that Gonzaga belonged in the FF and even that they were a better team than NC.....

But there were several occasions when they could have been eliminated... as they have been in the past...it is a crap shoot....

So IMHO, the goal is the same..... in short.... get there and play smart and hard to the end of the game....and give yourself a chance..

It is the Journey...

TexasZagFan
07-12-2017, 05:05 AM
Must be a special Summer for players and coaches basking in first final four......getting ready to open Volkar Center and looking forward to PK Tourney .......Neil Everett refers to Zags as "Americas Team" on SportsCenter......how times have changed.

Not to mention the first commit of 2029 will be on campus next week...:lmao:

TexasZagFan
07-12-2017, 05:08 AM

To me, this is a life extender. I swore, all I every wanted before I go was to see the Zags make the FF - my wish was answered and that experience was the greatest. Loved being in AZ with my boys and friends to witness history. So now....before I go, I want a National Championship. I'm not that old, but the sooner the better.

Go Zags --

Another +1 for you, '77. Every road trip is an event for me and my family.