PDA

View Full Version : FYI 2006 UCLA/Zags on Pac 12 network. Yes THAT game!

MDABE80
07-09-2017, 11:15 AM
If you are to watch that mess again. But we looked SO good till the last 5 minutes. Josh H, Adam M, JP, Pendo Errol, Pargo, Raivio and so on. Might be the most talented team we've had. We beat the crap out of these future NBA'ers from UCLA.......just lost at the end.

jazzdelmar
07-09-2017, 11:19 AM
If you are to watch that mess again. But we looked SO good till the last 5 minutes. Josh H, Adam M, JP, Pendo Errol, Pargo, Raivio and so on. Might be the most talented team we've had. We beat the crap out of these future NBA'ers from UCLA.......just lost at the end.

This could be the worst Rx you have ever written, Doc. ;)

MDABE80
07-09-2017, 11:33 AM
The pleasure of watching JP Batista and Morrison's variety of shots is worth it. Long time before we two kids of that quality. Adam had some behavioral issue but could that boy shoot! Odd to see Donny Daniels on the UCLA bench!

ZagNut08
07-09-2017, 01:42 PM
Let me know if you have a video of my dog dying as a kid, maybe I could watch that after.

Birddog
07-09-2017, 01:57 PM
Let me know if you have a video of my dog dying as a kid, maybe I could watch that after.

Will this serve as a replacement?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JSiFzw2PbE

seacatfan
07-09-2017, 03:01 PM
Yeah you'd have to be a glutton for punishment to watch that game again. Unless you turn it off as soon as UCLA starts to rally and pretend that GU hung on to win. For me, it's still painful enough that I don't need to see it again to be reminded.

Coach Crazy
07-09-2017, 03:52 PM
Yeah you'd have to be a glutton for punishment to watch that game again. Unless you turn it off as soon as UCLA starts to rally and pretend that GU hung on to win. For me, it's still painful enough that I don't need to see it again to be reminded.

Yeah, my mission was different than the traditional LDS proselyting, so I was able to watch this game. One of the worst moments of my sports life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martin Centre Mad Man
07-09-2017, 04:55 PM
To this day, the Morrison loss is burned into the minds of casual sports fans as the quintessential Gonzaga tournament failure. Look at the rest of the bracket.

https://www.printyourbrackets.com/images/ncaa-march-madness-results-2006.jpg

You'll see JJ Reddick's Duke team drop a Sweet 16 game in a 4-1 upset against LSU. No. 1 UCONN fell to George Mason. No. 3 UNC fell to George Mason. No. 3 Iowa fell to mighty Northwestern State. Kansas dropped a 13-4 clunker against Bradley.

Why is the Gonzaga loss to a higher seed so much more defining of our program than those?

TexasZagFan
07-09-2017, 04:59 PM

How about Old Yeller?

gu03alum
07-09-2017, 05:12 PM
No

MDABE80
07-09-2017, 05:55 PM
Repeated punishment at 9 pm!:)))

seacatfan
07-09-2017, 09:40 PM
Why is the Gonzaga loss to a higher seed so much more defining of our program than those?

Is it THE defining Tourney moment for GU? What about Calvary's tip jam and the Elite 8 appearance that got it all rolling? Or perhaps a recent appearance in the Championship Game? Morrison collapsing on the court in the waning moments was good drama, and it seems like that still gets shown in montages to this day. Keeps it fresh in people's memories. Duke has had a whole bunch of early exits against lower seeded teams. They have a nice teflon coating, they don't seem to get any criticism for that. Ever. But K's 5 Titles goes a long way toward erasing some Tourney failures I guess. Sort of the same for the others probably. Kansas has had quite a few early exits under Self, but also a Championship and another runner up finish. I don't know, maybe people just want to push that narrative of GU not coming thru in March and look for any evidence to support that, while ignoring any evidence to the contrary.

CDC84
07-10-2017, 09:22 AM
The Texas Tech loss in 2005 still hurts more....at least for me.

TexasZagFan
07-10-2017, 10:02 AM
The Texas Tech loss in 2005 still hurts more....at least for me.

Not for me...the loss in the title game this year will always hurt the most. I will never forget a sequence of 2-3 possessions in the first half that will forever haunt me.

We had a 7 point lead, and UNC missed consecutive shots. We followed those defensive stops with two 3 pointers that just wouldn't fall for us. They were good shots, too. I think one was by Josh, but it really doesn't matter...they were in the flow of the game, and they were uncontested. We hit those two, go up by 13, and put UNC in a spot they hadn't been in all year. Could've been a springboard to opening up a lead of 20 plus.

My thoughts also turn to Karno's missed shots, and NWG going 4-8 from the FT line...he shot 90% during the regular season.

Winning that title game would have forever exorcised past demons. IMO, making it to the title game put those demons to rest anyway.

I don't spend any time bemoaning the last two minutes, we simply hit quicksand.

MDABE80
07-10-2017, 12:26 PM
Refs:(

jbslicer
07-11-2017, 06:21 AM

You would have to listen to Len Elmore one more time too. No thanks!

thebigsmoove
07-11-2017, 06:31 AM

Is it more defining? Never heard that one before...Maybe you are making it more defining? Most people i talk to about the Zags mention repeated underwhelming results in the tourney despite the pundits expectations otherwise. Is that fair? no. But its just the reality of a program that has been overhyped at times. I try not to dwell on all the what-ifs. There have been a few years that i knew we were capable of so much more, but at the end of the day we got over the hump. Lets focus on the future.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
07-11-2017, 09:00 PM
I'm over UCLA '06, I could (and have) watch it again.

Made our win over them in the Sweet 16 in 2015 better, and made our Final Four this year WAY better.

TexasZagFan
07-12-2017, 05:31 AM
I'm over UCLA '06, I could (and have) watch it again.

Made our win over them in the Sweet 16 in 2015 better, and made our Final Four this year WAY better.

IMO, that victory in Houston over UCLA exorcised the demon from '06.

I voice that opinion when I'm out at a bar, and someone brings up the '06 game. This year's FF wiped the slate clean.

There are two things I don't put up with in casual conversation: one, ragging on the Zags (WCC in particular, i.e. "soft" schedule), and "wineshaming". lol