PDA

View Full Version : Good article on Rui

Club Prez
07-07-2017, 05:06 AM
After Rui Hachimura completed the round of 16 as the top scorer and second leading rebounder at the FIBA U-19 World Championships, the coach who recruited him to Gonzaga revealed he has even higher expectations for the promising forward.

Gonzaga assistant Tommy Lloyd admitted he thought Hachimura might produce even gaudier numbers than 19.5 points and 11.8 rebounds per game given Japanís reliance on him as its lone significant scoring threat.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/rui-hachimura-poised-breakout-season-gonzaga-starring-abroad-japan-013427638.html

jazzdelmar
07-07-2017, 05:44 AM
Explains a lot, finally.

TexasZagFan
07-07-2017, 05:52 AM
“This is not going to be another sit-back-and-learn year for Rui,” Lloyd said. “We’re going to need Rui to be an impact player for us.”

Money quote.

Zagdawg
07-07-2017, 06:14 AM
This is where the program can make a difference-- getting on recruits early.

“The only other school that was recruiting Rui that I’m aware of was Arizona,” Lloyd said. “I don’t want to say we beat Arizona because that might not be accurate, but we moved faster than they did. We offered him really early. They wanted to take a little bit more of a wait-and-see approach.”

Reborn
07-07-2017, 06:36 AM

“The only other school that was recruiting Rui that I’m aware of was Arizona,” Lloyd said. “I don’t want to say we beat Arizona because that might not be accurate, but we moved faster than they did. We offered him really early. They wanted to take a little bit more of a wait-and-see approach.”

Gonzaga wins this recruiting battle with Arizona for Rui Hachimura. So we don't lose them all. For those of you who think Hachimura will be just another athletic player sitting on the bench with insufficient skills to get him a lot of playing and to make a difference in a game need to read what Tommy Lloyd thinks about that.

thebigsmoove
07-07-2017, 06:50 AM
Gonzaga wins this recruiting battle with Arizona for Rui Hachimura. So we don't lose them all. For those of you who think Hachimura will be just another athletic player sitting on the bench with insufficient skills to get him a lot of playing and to make a difference in a game need to read what Tommy Lloyd thinks about that.

Ive gone from skeptical to cautiously optimistic this summer. Cant wait to see what more PT will do for him.

btzag
07-07-2017, 06:53 AM
Also note that Tommy said year 2 will be all about gaining experience and learning from his mistakes. Year 3 is where they expect him to put it all together and be a big time D1 star.

bartruff1
07-07-2017, 06:56 AM
skeptical .....

gu03alum
07-07-2017, 07:00 AM
He looks really good in the highlights I have seen. The only concern I would have is the high number of turnovers. He had 7 in one of the games. That might be a product of him having to handle the ball too much on that team though.

SSF had a good post about his play too (https://www.slipperstillfits.com/2017/7/5/15923138/2017-fiba-u-19-world-cup-rui-hachimura-gonzaga-bulldogs)

Ezag
07-07-2017, 07:13 AM

I believe Rui was on their radar but no necessarily recruiting him. I do agree early can make a diff.

Coach Crazy
07-07-2017, 08:01 AM
Ive gone from skeptical to cautiously optimistic this summer. Cant wait to see what more PT will do for him.

I think this is fair. He definitely needs to show more attentiveness on defense, and he looks a little more deliberate in his footwork than I would hope on offense. But I think we're also critiquing on another level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tenniszag
07-07-2017, 08:10 AM
I believe Rui was on their radar but no necessarily recruiting him. I do agree early can make a diff.

Arizona hosted him for an official visit.

sittingon50
07-07-2017, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the various links, brethren.

DixieZag
07-07-2017, 11:01 AM
Rui - the "forgotten Zag" when it comes to 17-18.

So many threads when he wasn't even mentioned.

He could be a total bust, but he has the tools that could make him a very special player. We will play a lot of teams that will have no one that can guard him. Whether he can guard anyone else is also an open question.

Goshzagit
07-07-2017, 11:27 AM
Rui saved the game vs West Virginia (Sweet 16).

Was able to defend, help get ball down court, and hold serve when Collins predictably got in foul trouble.

As a result, we were able to utilize ZC down the stretch...and we advanced.

For the life of me, I still cant figure out why we didn't use Rui in a similar fashion when Collins was whistled for his 4th foul w/10 to play vs UNC.

At least for 2 or 3 min stretch, even if only to help Karno get rest and allow Collins to play in the last few mins, when we had the lead and refs are less likely to call fouls.

I even said it during the game. Put Rui in to save Collins for later.

TokyoZag
07-07-2017, 12:28 PM
Next time Tommy needs a Japanese translator, please hit me up!

Zagger
07-07-2017, 03:55 PM
Rui, Rui, Rui!
I believe 17-18 is going to be a special season .... fast and furious! Chumping at the bit already and it's July!

jchocolate99
07-07-2017, 06:05 PM

This is where the program HAS made a difference... for all the success our program has had we rarely win toe to toe battles for recruits against other top programs... We earn our recruits from early recruiting interest. I've learned my lesson from this board that when a recruit is first mentioned and they don't seem that interesting not to disregard them because the staff see something early in them which they do a great job off. Sabonis wasn't that interesting of a recruit early on and was a great player for us... Jesse Wade wasn't that interesting of a recruit early on but is seeming like a great recruit early on.

Jedster
07-07-2017, 07:55 PM
Don't post very often lately, but am really intrigued by Rui. The big piece for me (and IMO) will be how he will be able to integrate into the Zag system. The team is so heavily built on how well you fit into the system and play your role, while utilizing your skills, that I think this is the big question to be answered with how much Rui plays. Coach Few has always held to a premium that you play within the system on both ends of the floor, otherwise you won't see a lot of time. I know he gave Adam a lot of leeway with this, so we'll see how Rui fits into things. I am very intrigued at what he will bring next year. On the top end it's "sky is the limit" for sure.

billyberu
07-08-2017, 08:42 PM
A 6'8" small forward with elite athleticism, good handles and a 7'2" wingspan, geez, what's not to like? I see a huge leap forward for Rui in the coming year. I don't see him as quite the offensive star that Adam Morrison was in college, but he'll be a double-double machine and just as electrifying to watch.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

DixieZag
07-09-2017, 06:20 PM
Don't post very often lately, but am really intrigued by Rui. The big piece for me (and IMO) will be how he will be able to integrate into the Zag system. The team is so heavily built on how well you fit into the system and play your role, while utilizing your skills, that I think this is the big question to be answered with how much Rui plays. Coach Few has always held to a premium that you play within the system on both ends of the floor, otherwise you won't see a lot of time. I know he gave Adam a lot of leeway with this, so we'll see how Rui fits into things. I am very intrigued at what he will bring next year. On the top end it's "sky is the limit" for sure.

Good one.

Please post more.

cggonzaga
07-09-2017, 07:11 PM
Rui is a guy that will be a better pro than college player imo. Not to say he won't have a good college career but his game is simply better suited for the pros. I would be ecstatic if he averaged like 8ppg and 6rpg next season. That would be a great year for him imo.

DixieZag
07-09-2017, 07:39 PM
With his length and leaping ability, does he have the skills to be another rim protector? Because, thinking on it, even though PK was a "space eater" - it was JWIII who really provided the "thought in the back of the head" of guys going inside. Additionally, Tillie also did some fantastic things way up in the air. If we have Rui able to come off the ball to cause havoc, (set aside his on-the-ball defense for a moment), he seems to have the make-up of someone who can do it.

If he could, that would seem to bring us a formidible defensive component down low, even setting aside Larsen's size and strength. This is a question to the basketball people. I am interested in hearing the analysis.

Zagdawg
07-09-2017, 07:59 PM
Rui averaged 1.4 blocks per game in the FIBA tournament --- JW3 averaged .9 blocks per game last year-- between all of our bigs we should have some decent rim protection as they are all mobile and can help weak side.

btzag
07-10-2017, 05:45 AM
With his length and leaping ability, does he have the skills to be another rim protector? Because, thinking on it, even though PK was a "space eater" - it was JWIII who really provided the "thought in the back of the head" of guys going inside. Additionally, Tillie also did some fantastic things way up in the air. If we have Rui able to come off the ball to cause havoc, (set aside his on-the-ball defense for a moment), he seems to have the make-up of someone who can do it.

If he could, that would seem to bring us a formidible defensive component down low, even setting aside Larsen's size and strength. This is a question to the basketball people. I am interested in hearing the analysis.

He has the athleticism to do it but not sure what is missing for him. Make-up, desire, lack of interest...just not sure. Look at the Puerto Rico highlights and on many of PR's baskets Rui is in perfect position to come over to help and have an easy block but he just sits there and watches. Trying not to be critical of him but the proof is in the video. Just hoping this is all his national team coaching and maybe a specific directive to not get involved and pick up fouls...

cjm720
07-10-2017, 06:15 AM
Congrats to tillie and Rui on a very successful tourney! The future is bright!

Zagdawg
07-10-2017, 06:55 AM
Rui was the one guy on Japans team that they could not afford to have in foul trouble -- I can see why the coach would direct him not to try to go for the blocks.

btzag
07-10-2017, 07:03 AM
Rui was the one guy on Japans team that they could not afford to have in foul trouble -- I can see why the coach would direct him not to try to go for the blocks.

Did the coach mention this somewhere?

Zagdawg
07-10-2017, 07:13 AM
Last time I talked to him he mentioned he wanted to keep his star player out of foul trouble. ;)

thegloriousgoateeofKP
07-11-2017, 09:03 PM
Rui could go on to lead the Zags to Final Fours, lead the country in scoring, and be a lottery pick.

But in terms of great moments in Zag history, he will have a hard time topping his 3 at the end of the game vs. Xavier to put the cherry on top of our first ever Final Four appearance.

TexasZagFan
07-12-2017, 05:46 AM
Rui could go on to lead the Zags to Final Fours, lead the country in scoring, and be a lottery pick.

But in terms of great moments in Zag history, he will have a hard time topping his 3 at the end of the game vs. Xavier to put the cherry on top of our first ever Final Four appearance.

Thanks for the memory. We were able to simply enjoy the moment during the last five minutes of the game, after all those years and disappointments.

nish_mode
07-12-2017, 06:53 AM
Per Rui's instagram story, he's back in spokane

Zags_Fanatic
07-12-2017, 09:13 AM

Awesome! Look forward to seeing him scrimmage this week.

kitzbuel
07-12-2017, 04:46 PM

Yea! The more he works now the better we will be in March.

nish_mode
07-13-2017, 10:19 AM
Another article on Rui:

http://thebiglead.com/2017/07/12/rui-hachimura-ready-to-be-gonzagas-next-star-after-dominating-fiba-tournament/

Reborn
07-13-2017, 10:35 AM
Another article on Rui:

http://thebiglead.com/2017/07/12/rui-hachimura-ready-to-be-gonzagas-next-star-after-dominating-fiba-tournament/

What I like most about Rui's game is that he just doesn't have one way to score: like being a good outside shooter,or having good inside moves at the post. Rui has such a beautiful all around game: How he plays the full court running game, especially when he has the ball in his hands. He looks like he could play guard. A very good passer, as has been shown in this video. A very good rebounder, and a good shot blocker. He had some really nice blocked shots. Can throw the ball down with ease. One of the best dunkers GU will ever have. And yet some fans who post on this forum think he will only play 8-10 min next season. lol lol, lol lol....That may be the funniest thing I've ever read on this forum. And I really love another one of the "doubters" arguments, "He's doing all this against players who are no better than real good high school players." hahahahahaah

Go Zags!!!

thebigsmoove
07-13-2017, 11:49 AM
Another article on Rui:

Can i just say that spinning over the shoulder no look pass was absolutely filthy. Like holy mole that was ridiculous.

Pallet
07-13-2017, 01:39 PM
That was a fun video, Rui is still a bit mechanical on offense but it's clear he has all the tools. Reminds me of Giannis Antetokounmpo (the Greek Freak) on the Bucks when he first joined the NBA, but with a better, more confident jumper.

Reborn
07-13-2017, 02:30 PM
That was a fun video, Rui is still a bit mechanical on offense but it's clear he has all the tools. Reminds me of Giannis Antetokounmpo (the Greek Freak) on the Bucks when he first joined the NBA, but with a better, more confident jumper.

Can u explain what you mean by "mechanical?"

Goshzagit
07-13-2017, 06:12 PM
Needs to work on his handles this Summer.

His shoulder high, slow dribbling will get picked apart vs good, athletic defense.

We know he has a versatile game, all the tools, & could develop into a star at this level, however still a long way to go.

His shot release is also on the slower side, which has been blocked vs players his size or taller.

His shot selection is average at best, but his growing court presence is encouraging.

As Coach Lloyd mentioned, he will "learn how to be a star" before becoming one....which is also why I believe Collins made a mistake in leaving a year before he was ready to play minutes and be a man on the court. Not a financial mistake by any stretch tho.

Learning to be a player is as important as being a player.

Pallet
07-13-2017, 07:58 PM
Can u explain what you mean by "mechanical?"

I mean that you can often see the wheels turning in his head before he makes a move, like he has to wait a beat to analyze the floor and his options. There are glimpses of what it'll be like when he gets it all figured out, like that gorgeous no look pass, but he hasn't quite put it all together yet.