PDA

View Full Version : Andre Rafus Jr. 2017 recruit

Ekrub
07-06-2017, 06:12 PM
Apparently we are in this kids top 5 for 2017?

http://d1vision.com/andre-rafus-cuts-list-five-schools/

Previously committed to tcu but couldn't get in due to grades (according to Twitter) - espn shows Kansas offered. Ranked 237 in the class, 3 star. 6 foot 9 200 lbs.

jazzdelmar
07-06-2017, 06:20 PM
237th?

Zagdawg
07-06-2017, 06:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeoaB6GN36U

Ekrub
07-06-2017, 06:26 PM
237th?

That's what the article said - don't know what site they used

VinnyZag
07-06-2017, 06:38 PM
Apparently we are in this kids top 5 for 2017?

http://d1vision.com/andre-rafus-cuts-list-five-schools/

Previously committed to tcu but couldn't get in due to grades (according to Twitter) - espn shows Kansas offered. Ranked 237 in the class, 3 star. 6 foot 9 200 lbs.

Couldn't get into TCU but can get into Gonzaga?

ZagzKrak
07-06-2017, 06:40 PM
Can't kids list whoever they want...doesn't mean he was offered right?

MTZag03
07-06-2017, 06:45 PM
Hmm. Only saw 1 defensive highlight. Looks pretty athletic and looks like a good shooter, but he also seems to be just getting by on athleticism. I didn't see much in the way of post play. Anyone else see something different? Would he offer anything at the 4? His game looks to be a 3 and we've got talent there this year. Developmental player?

jazzdelmar
07-06-2017, 06:59 PM
Can't kids list whoever they want...doesn't mean he was offered right?

They can list anyone. One of the major misconceptions of CBB recruitment.

Worthington
07-06-2017, 10:12 PM
I like this kid a lot. I think ultimately he is going to end up as a power forward once he fills out a bit more. Reminds me a bit of Jonathan Williams. He's effortlessly bouncy off of two feet and doesn't need much space to gather, nice looking three point stroke as well. Probably needs a year or two to develop his body, but I see the potential.

Bogozags
07-07-2017, 03:13 AM
Don't recall him being mentioned before but if he doesn't visit then he won't (IMO) be coming...

thebigsmoove
07-07-2017, 06:54 AM
237th?

http://i.imgur.com/526ccE5.jpg

Yeah 237th on 24/7

Ezag
07-07-2017, 07:14 AM
I hope not!

Coach Crazy
07-07-2017, 07:46 AM
I like this kid a lot. I think ultimately he is going to end up as a power forward once he fills out a bit more. Reminds me a bit of Jonathan Williams. He's effortlessly bouncy off of two feet and doesn't need much space to gather, nice looking three point stroke as well. Probably needs a year or two to develop his body, but I see the potential.

Absolutely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jazzdelmar
07-07-2017, 08:58 AM
How much lower than 237 does the list go? Geez.

Gonzdb8
07-07-2017, 09:25 AM
Couldn't get into TCU but can get into Gonzaga?

This. TCU isn't a bad school, but i'm fairly certain GU's academic profile has risen over the last few years to the point that if you can't get into TCU you probably aren't getting in here without some kind of preferential treatment.

thebigsmoove
07-07-2017, 09:33 AM
How much lower than 237 does the list go? Geez.

24/7 has 567 ranked players for 2017.

Zagineer
07-07-2017, 10:03 AM
24/7 has 567 ranked players for 2017.

Yup. Here's the link.

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=highscho ol

And that's only about half of next year's incoming players. There are 351 schools in Division I men's basketball. With 13 scholies for each, that's 4,563 players. Assuming that 25% of them will be incoming freshmen, that's 1,140 players.

Here's the link to the list of schools. It's listed alphabetically by conference, so we're near the bottom of the list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_men%27s_basketball_program s

DixieZag
07-07-2017, 10:57 AM
Is it possible that when he committed, his grades dropped, thus he had to de-committ and then TCU opened up the scholie, he lost his spot, but then got grades back up and is on the open market?

I believe ICU is rather rigorous academically, but I'd never say "more so" than GU. I would think he'd have had to get his grades up in the intervening period.

Is that a plausible assessment? Jazz? (This is all aside from whether he's that good or not. But, if Kansas offered, he can't be THAT bad).

VinnyZag
07-07-2017, 11:46 AM
This. TCU isn't a bad school, but i'm fairly certain GU's academic profile has risen over the last few years to the point that if you can't get into TCU you probably aren't getting in here without some kind of preferential treatment.

I know zero about TCU, other than that they have an awesome nickname. But my impression of GU is that academic standards have improved dramatically in the 25 years since they let my sorry butt go to school there. So I'd be surprised and disappointed if they were lowering those standards too much to let a hoops recruit in.

Mr Vulture
07-07-2017, 11:54 AM
Is it possible that when he committed, his grades dropped, thus he had to de-committ and then TCU opened up the scholie, he lost his spot, but then got grades back up and is on the open market?

I believe ICU is rather rigorous academically, but I'd never say "more so" than GU. I would think he'd have had to get his grades up in the intervening period.

Is that a plausible assessment? Jazz? (This is all aside from whether he's that good or not. But, if Kansas offered, he can't be THAT bad).

But we only recruit Top 100 players...right Jazz and Spy??

jazzdelmar
07-07-2017, 11:57 AM

One would assume. 237 is definitely an outlier. When was the last NC runnerup to even look at a 237?

bdmiller7
07-07-2017, 12:11 PM
ESPN grades him as a 73, same as Melson was and he turned out okay. My guess is he picks Gtown anyway.

maynard g krebs
07-07-2017, 01:19 PM
One would assume. 237 is definitely an outlier. When was the last NC runnerup to even look at a 237?

237 is about what Adam Morrison was at the time he committed. 220's to be exact; forget which site, think Scout.

Offers matter more than website rankings imo. Kansas.

doctorzag
07-07-2017, 01:33 PM
ESPN grades him as a 73, same as Melson was and he turned out okay. My guess is he picks Gtown anyway.

I hope he picks Georgetown.

thespywhozaggedme
07-07-2017, 01:33 PM

Um....hmm, yeah. ha.

cjm720
07-07-2017, 01:42 PM

When was the last NC runner up in the WCC?

We are different, we are successful, and we continue to trend up.

Rankings don't mean much at times-maybe he's a late bloomer. The tape looks okay.

CDC84
07-07-2017, 01:53 PM
They can list anyone. One of the major misconceptions of CBB recruitment.

See Brett Kingma. Tommy has said on numerous occasions that a kid will tell a recruiting service that Gonzaga is recruiting him when in fact they are recruiting another kid at his game or are just hanging around the gym talking to a fellow coach or whatever.

I have to say that his school list doesn't suck. Oregon, Georgetown.......all high major schools. It's not like his list only includes MEAC schools or something.

thespywhozaggedme
07-07-2017, 02:38 PM
But we only recruit Top 100 players...right Jazz and Crazy Coach??

Fixed it for you. I am one of the biggest under the radar recruit advocates on this board.

Coach Crazy
07-07-2017, 07:24 PM
237 is about what Adam Morrison was at the time he committed. 220's to be exact; forget which site, think Scout.

Offers matter more than website rankings imo. Kansas.

Recruiting was so different back then, though. Had he played now, he'd probably have been higher at some point.

Silas's problem wasn't being ranked a 3*. It was people setting the expectation he was an NBA talent.

If you think a player has the potential to be a diamond-in-the-rough type and will end up contributing at the value of a 4*, then by all means sign him up.

It all comes down to justification. You also need to take into account the depth of the position for that year. You can make the case that Rafus is a 4*.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Vulture
07-10-2017, 11:37 AM
Fixed it for you. I am one of the biggest under the radar recruit advocates on this board.

Fair enough....perhaps it wasn't you I was thinking of. ;)

thespywhozaggedme
07-10-2017, 12:05 PM
Fair enough....perhaps it wasn't you I was thinking of. ;)

No, I'm obnoxious, don't get me wrong. But I am a major "under the radar" chip on the shoulder type of player advocate. ;)

NorCalZagGrad
07-11-2017, 08:12 AM

One of Duke's 2017 signees is ranked 408 in the 247 composite...

TexasZagFan
07-11-2017, 08:41 AM
One of Duke's 2017 signees is ranked 408 in the 247 composite...

Probably a keystroke error...not hard for a 1 to be entered as a 4 when using 10-key.

:lmao:

A quick call from Coach K will put it to rest.

JPtheBeasta
07-11-2017, 08:53 AM
Probably a keystroke error...not hard for a 1 to be entered as a 4 when using 10-key.

Spoken like a true financial guy :]

demian
07-11-2017, 08:54 AM

there was a kid Duke signed this past off season who was a verbal commit to Eastern Kentucky. Jordan Goldwire was his name. Coastal Carolina and Hofstra were his only other offers. He ended up signing with Duke. I remember hearing about this story in march. Pretty cool for that kid. This kid could possibly be the 408 player that is mentioned

thebigsmoove
07-11-2017, 09:57 AM

This might blow your mind but Brock Ravet and Anton Watson are...GASP...not ranked at all? :explode:

thespywhozaggedme
07-11-2017, 10:16 AM
there was a kid Duke signed this past off season who was a verbal commit to Eastern Kentucky. Jordan Goldwire was his name. Coastal Carolina and Hofstra were his only other offers. He ended up signing with Duke. I remember hearing about this story in march. Pretty cool for that kid. This kid could possibly be the 408 player that is mentioned

Yup, I lurk on the Duke boards and there were many, many Jazz and crazy Coach type posts over that signing, they were certain that he was "beneath" Duke.

He'll look good on the bench next to Javin DeLaurier and Jack White for the next four years.

Why? This dude ain't getting any playing time next year. He probably won't see playing time his entire time at Duke. This has 0 affect on Jackson or Duval, I'm guessing this is clearly a practice thing.

Because the only times I've seen K reach this far down, was out of desperation. I totally get bringing in someone like Mark Smith, who might not play much early in his career, but could start as an upper classman. But an unranked player is pretty odd/rare for K, unless there are some family ties, NBA ties, etc...

Sounds like he is a very low ceiling PG who will be abused all next year in practice by Duval. Andre Buckner 2.O or perhaps he will not even get Andre Buckner type minutes if Duke gets Tre and Garland next year.

http://www.scout.com/college/duke/forums/1386-duke-basketball/15546485-jordan-goldwire-to-duke?page=2

And that was just the first 2 pages. lol