PDA

View Full Version : Katz article is posted

7ICoug
10-22-2007, 10:43 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3074160&name=katz_andy&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fesp n%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d3074160%26name%3dkatz _andy

HOOTER
10-22-2007, 10:47 AM
I guess I better become an insider.

former1dog
10-22-2007, 10:49 AM
I'm not an insider.... :(

ZagNative
10-22-2007, 10:53 AM
Thanks for picking that up early, 71Coug.

Interesting tidbit: "The Zags expect to redshirt 7-4 center Will Foster."

kitzbuel
10-22-2007, 10:58 AM
I'm not an insider.... :(
Join the club, neither am I :(

My wife would cough up a hairball with that charge. And it would likely be my hair after she chewed my butt.

JLGutrocks
10-22-2007, 11:07 AM
If anyone wants to PM me the full content of the article, I would be glad to read it. That way your not republishing copyrighted material in a public forum. Just a suggestion.:o

gamagin
10-22-2007, 11:09 AM
<< My wife would cough up a hairball with that charge. And it would likely be my hair after she chewed my butt. >>

I say go ahead and subscribe !

cggonzaga
10-22-2007, 11:13 AM
Zags boast more athleticismposted: Monday, October 22, 2007 | Print Entry

The Zags expect to run even more and be much more effective on the defensive end this season.

"The big guys can run the floor," said Pargo, who passed up USA Basketball this summer, instead choosing to work out on his own. "There's going to be a lot of up and down basketball. It's going to be fun."

The Zags expect to redshirt 7-4 center Will Foster.

"I've never been this excited about basketball," Downs said.

Here you go.

bulldogshawn
10-22-2007, 11:30 AM
It's like $30, and you get ESPN mag for a year too. Pretty good deal, I've done it for years and it's great.

wazZag
10-22-2007, 11:38 AM
Shawn's probably right, but in the meantime, thanks CG :)

HOOTER
10-22-2007, 11:41 AM
Here you go.

Good stuff. Thanks.

finechina2003
10-22-2007, 11:46 AM
Is Katz right? Two of the big questions that have been debated on this board are addressed by him. First, he mentions that Foster will redshirt. Second, he tips his hat towards Downs as the player that is most "surprising" Few.

Frazzle
10-22-2007, 11:47 AM
Will Foster is expected to redshirt, huh? If true, I hope Will uses his redshirt year to really develop his back to the basket abilities and bulk up. At 7'4", he has a huge upside and I don't want to see him transfer or languish on the bench over his next couple of seasons at Gonzaga.

Rubbadub
10-22-2007, 11:49 AM
Is Katz right? Two of the big questions that have been debated on this board are addressed by him. First, he mentions that Foster will redshirt. Second, he tips his hat towards Downs as the player that is most "surprising" Few.

Man, everyone seems to be pleasantly surprising people. I sure wouldn't want to have to be the one to divide pt between Micah, Austin, Ira!, LG, and Pendo.

JLGutrocks
10-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Thanks cg.

I think that Katz coming here and spending a couple days hangin with everyone in the know, he probably wouldn't risk his reputation by putting an unfounded rumor on the internet (re:Foster redshirt).

This said, if Big Willy does decide to redshirt, he will be an absolute Monster in the post next year.

rennis
10-22-2007, 12:42 PM
Good stuff. Thanks.

word.

I'm surprised Katz isn't talking up Daye...seems most other news sources have been (nbadraft.net)

As for Gonzaga getting a reputation as a poor defensive team starting with Adam Morrison, I think coach is being a tad optimistic. The team has had that reputation for a very long time. I remember our gaurds being ripped on for their defense over a decade ago. It's nothing new!

I also think we play decent team defense...we aren't UCLA or WSU, but we hold our own. Just not to the levels that the talking heads would like us to. I'm happy to see we have greater potential this year though.

GonzagaGurl08
10-22-2007, 01:32 PM
Thanks for posting that. Great article by Katz.

EricTheClown
10-22-2007, 03:28 PM
if foster redshirts, hopefully he will bulk up a little more and i could definitly see him being a great addition next season. at 7'4 there really isnt anywhere to go but up, potential wise.

dim4sum
10-22-2007, 03:37 PM
What's all this cliche "bulk up" talk all about. "Bulking up" decreases mobility and leaves players more vulnerable to injury. Foster doesn't have to bulk up.
He has surprising quickness and is very agile. He just has to learn how to exploit his height in the post a tad better. Quickness wins.

BobZag
10-22-2007, 04:04 PM
Micah is standing out in practices thus far.

LG hyperextended his knee but will be fine in a while.

Nevtelen
10-22-2007, 04:58 PM
Micah is standing out in practices thus far.

That's both BZ and Katz (via the Few quote), as well as some notes in Blue Ribbon that have commented on how good Micah is doing. i think he'll get major minutes as our big 3-pt threat since DRav left.

ZagNut08
10-22-2007, 05:45 PM
What's all this cliche "bulk up" talk all about. "Bulking up" decreases mobility and leaves players more vulnerable to injury. Foster doesn't have to bulk up.
He has surprising quickness and is very agile. He just has to learn how to exploit his height in the post a tad better. Quickness wins.

I disagree, with his height, he needs bulk. It is very hard to post up on shorter players. He will get his shot, but it is tough getting ground against a player with a lower center of gravity. He needs his weight to establish and maintain position. Adding bulk does not simply mean putting on fatty weight. It is a fine combination of bulk and muscle.

There is a reason poling has gone from the #12 ***** prospect he was to a *** unranked player. He hasnt been able to bulk up and it is hurting his game on both ends of the court.

Akzag
10-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Looks like I'm having trouble with my inbox ;)

Would someone be so kind as to send me something to test it ?

Mucho danke. :)

EricTheClown
10-22-2007, 06:36 PM
yeah bulking up simply means being able to get more physical with people. he'll playing playing against centers that are nba prospects, he'll need to be able to hold his own. but bulking doesnt mean he will slow down, he will still keep his quickness

TheZagPhish
10-22-2007, 06:37 PM

Check now.

thickman1
10-22-2007, 07:46 PM

I seem to be having the same problem as Akzag. Stinks. Darn inbox always seems empty. Wonder if it works??? :o

applezag
10-22-2007, 07:55 PM
I think there is ample evidence that putting on muscle can be done while increasing quickness and agility. Actually, it aids these abilities if done right. Weight training has been a key aspect of the GU program for years and should continue to be. I can think of many, many examples of players who have improved due to "bulking up" and very few who have been hurt by it. And Will Foster has a long way to go before anyone will describe himas bulky or overly agile.

Akzag
10-23-2007, 07:20 AM

Thanks for the technical support. I think I know how to fix it if anybody else needs some pointers ;)

BobZag
10-23-2007, 10:20 AM
Katz is writing an article on Heytvelt for later this week.

229SintoZag
10-23-2007, 10:33 AM
Is my pm inbox working? Can someone send a test?

Oregon Zag
10-23-2007, 10:40 AM
Did it.

Akzag
10-23-2007, 10:43 AM
O.Z. is quick ...

TimZag
10-23-2007, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the technical support. I think I know how to fix it if anybody else needs some pointers ;)
I'm having trouble with mine as well... ;)

strikezag
10-23-2007, 06:32 PM
I'm having the darndest problem with my inbox as well. little help please?

ZagNative
10-23-2007, 07:03 PM
Much as I like Andy, even with this story, I didn't feel as if he'd actually seen the guys play - at least not as a team. Is it safe to say that he was not allowed to watch practices? Everything I've read so far by all the commentators sounds like second-hand information, rather than first-hand observations.

I guess I've just been reading too many preseason stories and it's time for the real thing to start!