PDA

View Full Version : Gordon Hayward to Celtics --Kelly a free agent

Zagdawg
07-04-2017, 04:28 PM
"The Celtics have already pulled their qualifying offer on Kelly Olynyk, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski, making Olynyk a free agent."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19833892/gordon-hayward-joins-boston-celtics-further-mulling-decision

Feel free to move when ready.

tyra
07-04-2017, 04:38 PM
Any speculation from those on the board who follow the NBA (I don't) about where Kelly may end up?

basketballzag
07-04-2017, 05:05 PM
Any speculation from those on the board who follow the NBA (I don't) about where Kelly may end up?

Indiana, Atlanta followed by Toronto, Denver a few others. He will sign with team who offers most money.

willandi
07-04-2017, 05:09 PM

No idea, but Toronto would be good for the Canadians!

MDABE80
07-04-2017, 05:12 PM
Kelly had one game in the playoffs the showed how valuable he can be. Amazing game in fact. He's not really torn up the league though. Serviceable big. He'll land somewhere. I'm afraid the clock is ticking for him. But he'll have plenty left to secure him a comfortable life. I guess it's always the money....

Zags_Fanatic
07-04-2017, 05:38 PM
Kelly had one game in the playoffs the showed how valuable he can be. Amazing game in fact. He's not really torn up the league though. Serviceable big. He'll land somewhere. I'm afraid the clock is ticking for him. But he'll have plenty left to secure him a comfortable life. I guess it's always the money....

I suspect you will be shocked when you see the terms of KO's contract. Players of his caliber are getting MASSIVE contracts right now and I wouldn't be surprised to see Kelly get $30M+ over 3 years on his FA contract from a team that sees his potential and thinks they can utilize him better than the Celtics did.

MDABE80
07-04-2017, 06:00 PM
Could be. hope for the best for Kelly. And are YOU ever right. HUGE money floating around.

bartruff1
07-04-2017, 06:39 PM
It is ironic that Kelly and Gordon and Brad are the key players in this... Kelly will be fine and will end up owning half of Kamloops ...

ZagDad84
07-04-2017, 07:05 PM
I suspect you will be shocked when you see the terms of KO's contract. Players of his caliber are getting MASSIVE contracts right now and I wouldn't be surprised to see Kelly get $30M+ over 3 years on his FA contract from a team that sees his potential and thinks they can utilize him better than the Celtics did.

We'll see but I doubt it. Way too many people got stuck with huge contracts for "serviceable" players in the last couple of years and are finding they can't give these players away due to their large contracts. We have seen it in a few of the large trades this year for premier players. KO may get a "massive" contract and if so good for him. However, I think he will be in the more modest contract range which is still massive to most of us.

ZagDad

Bogozags
07-04-2017, 07:20 PM

Just sent you a PM...

bartruff1
07-04-2017, 08:25 PM
I think JJ Redick just signed for 23 million for one year.....now really.....

Ezag
07-04-2017, 10:09 PM
Kelly never got much respect in Boston. Sure he was inconsistent over the years but better than most give him credit for. I am excited for him. Not only will he get huge payday, but he now gets to pick the team he wants to be a part of.

Ekrub
07-04-2017, 10:24 PM
We'll see but I doubt it. Way too many people got stuck with huge contracts for "serviceable" players in the last couple of years and are finding they can't give these players away due to their large contracts. We have seen it in a few of the large trades this year for premier players. KO may get a "massive" contract and if so good for him. However, I think he will be in the more modest contract range which is still massive to most of us.

ZagDad

They have to spend the money - I'm guessing he gets 12-13 million a year.

thebigsmoove
07-05-2017, 05:35 AM
They have to spend the money - I'm guessing he gets 12-13 million a year.

Yeah there is no way hes getting a "modest" contract. Kelly is in the 2nd tier of free agent players in the league, he will definitely get 12-15 mill a year.

Sidenote: The most frustrating part of Kellys career so far is his inconsistency. Its not all because he hasnt gotten consistent PT or been hurt, hes also not taken advantage of opportunities when given the chance. When hes playing at his best he has shown all star level talent capable of being an anchor for a team. Other times he has disappeared. Either way, a player at Kellys age level and the potential to be the best (and possibly only true) stretch 5 in the league, he will get a huge contract. I wouldnt at all be surprised to see him sign a 4 year 55-65 million deal.

Mojo13
07-05-2017, 08:18 AM
I think JJ Redick just signed for 23 million for one year.....now really.....

JJ Redick is a pretty darn good player and exactly what the Sixer's need. More importantly it is a one year deal, of which teams have to overpay massively for that type of flexibility. No really surprised Redick got that, but if it was a 4 year deal he would have been in the $14-18 range.

Mojo13
07-05-2017, 08:22 AM
Yeah there is no way hes getting a "modest" contract. Kelly is in the 2nd tier of free agent players in the league, he will definitely get 12-15 mill a year.

Sidenote: The most frustrating part of Kellys career so far is his inconsistency. Its not all because he hasnt gotten consistent PT or been hurt, hes also not taken advantage of opportunities when given the chance. When hes playing at his best he has shown all star level talent capable of being an anchor for a team. Other times he has disappeared. Either way, a player at Kellys age level and the potential to be the best (and possibly only true) stretch 5 in the league, he will get a huge contract. I wouldnt at all be surprised to see him sign a 4 year 55-65 million deal.

This is my read as well...agree completely.

So far only seeing Atlanta and Indiana publically mentioned as interested in him. But Woj said there are going to be a load of teams.
I can see Portland and Utah in there, maybe Orlando. Not sure about, Toronto - as I don't think they have the money.

Zags_Fanatic
07-05-2017, 08:33 AM
Put on your hyperbole hats, NBC Sports just put out a list of the Top 10 Free Agents and Mr. Kelly O is sitting at #1 according to the author. Further down on the list are a number of recognizable names such as Rajon Rondo, Derrick Rose, Pau Gasol, Nerlens Noel, Rudy Gay and other amazing players. Woj has already said that NBA front offices are in a frenzy for Kelly and the big from Kamloops is about to land the biggest contract of any Gonzaga alum, likely $7-8M more than the $11M/year that Stockton made in his prime.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/07/05/the-top-10-nba-free-agents-still-available/

Mojo13
07-05-2017, 09:07 AM
Put on your hyperbole hats, NBC Sports just put out a list of the Top 10 Free Agents and Mr. Kelly O is sitting at #1 according to the author. Further down on the list are a number of recognizable names such as Rajon Rondo, Derrick Rose, Pau Gasol, Nerlens Noel, Rudy Gay and other amazing players. Woj has already said that NBA front offices are in a frenzy for Kelly and the big from Kamloops is about to land the biggest contract of any Gonzaga alum, likely $7-8M more than the $11M/year that Stockton made in his prime.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/07/05/the-top-10-nba-free-agents-still-available/

Many of those guys are washed up and well on the downward slope of their careers. Noel is going to get more money than KO - likely near a max deal. I guess he is not #1 because he is virtually guaranteed to stay in Dallas. Not really a "free" agent.

KO is "#1" on that subjective list (of the picked over pile of leftovers), because he is truly "Free" and is young. Lot's of team are interested - but he will not get near the highest annual salary of that group, but he could (maybe) get the 2nd biggest package (after Noel). No one is signing Rondo, Gasol or Rose to 4 year deals.

KCP, and Waiters could easily get more than KO and Hardaway could be up in that range too.

thebigsmoove
07-05-2017, 09:17 AM
Many of those guys are washed up and well on the downward slope of their careers. Noel is going to get more money than KO - likely near a max deal. I guess he is not #1 because he is virtually guaranteed to stay in Dallas. Not really a "free" agent.

KO is "#1" on that subjective list (of the picked over pile of leftovers), because he is truly "Free" and is young. Lot's of team are interested - but he will not get near the highest annual salary of that group, but he could (maybe) get the 2nd biggest package (after Noel). No one is signing Rondo, Gasol or Rose to 4 year deals.

KCP, and Waiters could easily get more than KO and Hardaway could be up in that range too.

Yeah KCP might get about 20 Mill a year. Maybe more if someone hops in and offers him a max like Otto Porter just got from the Nets. Detroit will probably match though which is why so many of these guys havent being signed yet. Interest in Waiters and Hardaway is about to heat up significantly now that Hayward is gone.

The real big deal here with KO is that he is now an unrestricted free agent, his interest is going to be signficantly more than it was as an RFA. There will be a bidding war.

ZagDad84
07-05-2017, 09:27 AM
JJ Redick is a pretty darn good player and exactly what the Sixer's need. More importantly it is a one year deal, of which teams have to overpay massively for that type of flexibility. No really surprised Redick got that, but if it was a 4 year deal he would have been in the $14-18 range.

Exactly.

Sidenote: The most frustrating part of Kellys career so far is his inconsistency. Its not all because he hasnt gotten consistent PT or been hurt, hes also not taken advantage of opportunities when given the chance. When hes playing at his best he has shown all star level talent capable of being an anchor for a team. Other times he has disappeared.

Some NBA GM's have shown little or no restraint when it comes to signing free agents and the associated contracts with these free agents. If a player has what a GM wants and there is competition for his services, he will get a big contract. KO's inconsistencies have not helped him. We will soon see what the demand is for his future services.

ZagDad

JPtheBeasta
07-05-2017, 05:35 PM
Maybe signing a big contract where people pursue him and make sure he is a good fit will be good for his confidence. He was the alpha his last year at GU, and I feel like he could be a legitimate 3rd scoring option for a team with the right mindset.

bartruff1
07-05-2017, 05:44 PM

I never said he wasn't a good player, after all he shared the POY Award with Morrison...but I can't help but be shocked that he will make as much as 575 first year teachers in Washington State will this year...says something about our values...

Mojo13
07-06-2017, 08:37 AM
I never said he wasn't a good player, after all he shared the POY Award with Morrison...but I can't help but be shocked that he will make as much as 575 first year teachers in Washington State will this year...says something about our values...

To put it in perspective he is in the Top 30-50 people in his profession in the world.
I can count numerous professions where the top Top 30-50 people in the world make that kind of money.

bartruff1
07-06-2017, 08:56 AM
I can't....mostly athletes and entertainers ....you know...... to put it into perspective....

kitzbuel
07-07-2017, 09:17 AM
Look at what Otto Porter is getting, $25M a year with half of it paid before the season even starts. He is no where near the top 10 or even 20% in his field.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

bartruff1
07-07-2017, 09:54 AM
Look at what Otto Porter is getting, $25M a year with half of it paid before the season even starts. He is no where near the top 10 or even 20% in his field.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Don't blame me....I would rather pay the 600 teachers.....