PDA

View Full Version : Do the Zags recruit in Texas?

TexasZagFan
07-02-2017, 01:30 PM
Over the past several years, Texas players such as Meech and Jeremy Jones have been found on the roster. I remember GJ Vilarino's year here, too. Hard to believe it was 09-10.

There's a lot of talent here, in the 3 & 4 star categories that can be developed. Hoops doesn't have the emphasis that football does, but DFW & Houston are teeming with basketball players.

The Zags are well respected here in Texas, based on my anecdotal experience.

MTZag03
07-02-2017, 03:18 PM
Good question. Texas and Baylor would seem to have an edge, as well as likely AZ, OSU, and Kansas. I have no idea if the staff goes there or not.

bartruff1
07-02-2017, 04:16 PM
Why ?? If we are going to recruit players from outside the United States, the Europeans are a good fit socially, academically and athletically..... and they know what real football is... :D

Vilarino...sad....Calipari is going to regret ....Few will be sorry....Capel doesn't know what he is doing....

seacatfan
07-02-2017, 04:20 PM
Texas and Baylor would seem to have an edge, as well as likely AZ, OSU, and Kansas.

When Josh Pastner was an assistant at Arizona, he was supposed to have great AAU connections to the Houston area, but it didn't pay much in the way of dividends. Since Miller has been the coach at UA, don't think they've landed anybody out of Texas that I can think of. Miller has plenty of East Coast connections and of course California is their single most important recruiting grounds.

seacatfan
07-02-2017, 04:22 PM
The Longhorns loom large over Texas, but I think most of the country recruits there. It's not exactly in their footprint but the ACC and Big 10 recruit there, in addition to obviously the Big 12 and SEC.

willandi
07-02-2017, 04:46 PM
Over the past several years, Texas players such as Meech and Jeremy Jones have been found on the roster. I remember GJ Vilarino's year here, too. Hard to believe it was 09-10.

There's a lot of talent here, in the 3 & 4 star categories that can be developed. Hoops doesn't have the emphasis that football does, but DFW & Houston are teeming with basketball players.

There's a kid that might fit in 2020? He'll be up for a Zag camp this month. Keep your eye out for him!

MTZag03
07-02-2017, 06:38 PM
When Josh Pastner was an assistant at Arizona, he was supposed to have great AAU connections to the Houston area, but it didn't pay much in the way of dividends. Since Miller has been the coach at UA, don't think they've landed anybody out of Texas that I can think of. Miller has plenty of East Coast connections and of course California is their single most important recruiting grounds.

I just assumed based off of good teams that are geographically close-ish. Of course east Texas and Arizona are quite far away.

seacatfan
07-02-2017, 07:13 PM
I just assumed based off of good teams that are geographically close-ish. Of course east Texas and Arizona are quite far away.

That's reasonable. I think Lute got a few out of Texas. It's a talent rich state, certainly makes sense to recruit there. Just doesn't seem to be a priority to Miller.

TexasZagFan
07-02-2017, 08:28 PM
There's a kid that might fit in 2020? He'll be up for a Zag camp this month. Keep your eye out for him!

lololol

Prospect for 2029 gave his team an early lead yesterday, but couldn't sustain it.

Like I said, if either of those two blow up, Zags won't have to spend a dime on recruiting them. I'll personally deliver them to Spokane. lol

TexasZagFan
07-02-2017, 08:30 PM

lol - the distance from Beaumont to El Paso is about 4 times the distance between Spokane and Seattle.

Zagdawg
07-02-2017, 08:38 PM
Texas is a big state -- spent some time driving north of Dallas to Wichita Falls area and around San Antonio when I was doing Army and Air Force training.
827 miles from Beaumont to El Paso vs 278 miles Spokane to Seattle -- I like the drive around the mountains better -- but after that is it pretty flat and dry.

maynard g krebs
07-03-2017, 12:44 PM
I think the question of whether the Zags recruit "in Texas" is a bit of a non sequitur. Except for local/regional players in a school's area (you'll see area coaches at the Les Schwab Inv in Ptld, Wa state tourneys etc) most scouting/recruiting is done on the AAU circuit in the offseason, where players from all over the country gather and there are a couple dozen coaches seated courtside. There are maybe 200-400 players per yr nationally that are potentially Zag caliber talent, and I'd bet that the staff gives all of that number at least a cursory look to identify those who would be a fit, then contacts potential fits to gauge interest. If one or more of those players is from Texas then they get recruited.

I don't see a special focus on Texas as especially productive.

By definition, recruiting Texas like the locals do is impossible. You'd see Lorenzo Romar in the stands on a Tuesday every time Garfield was playing Rainier Beach, or Nathan Hale games etc; it's a 15 or 20 minute drive after practice. I'm sure the Houston or SMU coach does the same at Houston/Dallas area games respectively.

BobZag
07-04-2017, 10:54 AM

Lloyd recruits foreign countries all the time.

willandi
07-04-2017, 01:36 PM
I think the question of whether the Zags recruit "in Texas" is a bit of a non sequitur. Except for local/regional players in a school's area (you'll see area coaches at the Les Schwab Inv in Ptld, Wa state tourneys etc) most scouting/recruiting is done on the AAU circuit in the offseason, where players from all over the country gather and there are a couple dozen coaches seated courtside. There are maybe 200-400 players per yr nationally that are potentially Zag caliber talent, and I'd bet that the staff gives all of that number at least a cursory look to identify those who would be a fit, then contacts potential fits to gauge interest. If one or more of those players is from Texas then they get recruited.

I don't see a special focus on Texas as especially productive.

By definition, recruiting Texas like the locals do is impossible. You'd see Lorenzo Romar in the stands on a Tuesday every time Garfield was playing Rainier Beach, or Nathan Hale games etc; it's a 15 or 20 minute drive after practice. I'm sure the Houston or SMU coach does the same at Houston/Dallas area games respectively.

TZF is from Texas, hence the handle, and has 2 coming up. He's wanting them to play for the Zags. It's a humorous and self serving thread. Of course, they could always walk on!

maynard g krebs
07-04-2017, 02:20 PM
TZF is from Texas, hence the handle, and has 2 coming up. He's wanting them to play for the Zags. It's a humorous and self serving thread. Of course, they could always walk on!

TZF has frequently suggested that some of the other WCC schools would do well to recruit Texas, and that Texas kids would love to go to the Cali schools. I was basing my response on that. If I got whooshed, it wouldn't be the first time.

Kemo 1966
07-04-2017, 04:19 PM
Well, TZF will get his wish....probably two starters for Pacific will be JUCO transfers from TEXAS. You will see them 'up close and personal'...... I'm sure they will compete well.... however, we have no "muscle or height to speak of' ... hence not sure how we contain your FRONT LINE ????

seacatfan
07-04-2017, 04:41 PM
hence not sure how we contain your FRONT LINE ????

Haven't you heard? Some Zags fans are stressing out because JWIII, Tillie and Larsen aren't enough. Couldn't lure a grad transfer who was willing to be the 4th big in the rotation.

TexasZagFan
07-05-2017, 09:45 AM

Darn tootin' it was self serving, but I'm not in the same league as Lavar Ball. :lmao:

TexasZagFan
07-05-2017, 09:46 AM
Haven't you heard? Some Zags fans are stressing out because JWIII, Tillie and Larsen aren't enough. Couldn't lure a grad transfer who was willing to be the 4th big in the rotation.

About 6-7 weeks before the academic year starts. Who knows what rabbit(s) the staff will be able to pull from the hat.

CDC84
07-05-2017, 12:30 PM
The state of Texas is big enough to where you can still find some really under the radar prospects. See ex-SCU guard Kevin Foster.

thebigsmoove
07-05-2017, 01:11 PM
Lloyd recruits foreign countries all the time.

:lmao: