PDA

View Full Version : ESPN article on strength & conditioning coaches

sittingon50
06-28-2017, 01:51 PM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19749204/strength-conditioning-coaches-all-rage-college-basketball

Zags_Fanatic
06-28-2017, 02:44 PM
I just hope the bluebloods stay the hell away from Coach Knight.

CDC84
06-28-2017, 02:58 PM
Kind of surprising that Knight wasn't even mentioned, but better for GU :)

DukeSilver
06-28-2017, 03:50 PM
Kind of surprising that Knight wasn't even mentioned, but better for GU :)

It's a bit old at this point, but the Knight-Olynyk redshirt year ought to have been a centerpiece for this story ... Would have been great national press for the program.

bballbeachbum
06-29-2017, 06:38 AM
enjoyed that, thanks for posting. seems to me GU does an excellent job of strength conditioning/nutrition education. the pre-college kids I work with have big challenges with nutrition and we try to teach them the pros/cons of good diet but the follow thru at home with the parents isn't always there. Soda is one of if not the big culprit

TexasZagFan
06-29-2017, 06:54 AM
I just hope the bluebloods stay the hell away from Coach Knight.

As long as his compensation is competitive (and I have no reason to believe it isn't), why would anyone want to leave Gonzaga?

sittingon50
06-29-2017, 08:39 AM
Travis is a former GU baseball player.

He has some skin in the game.

thebigsmoove
06-29-2017, 09:26 AM
Travis is a former GU baseball player.

He has some skin in the game.

Does he work with just Mens Basketball, or can the baseball team or womens BBall team access his services as well?

sittingon50
06-29-2017, 09:44 AM
Does he work with just Mens Basketball, or can the baseball team or womens BBall team access his services as well?

If I'm not mistaken, Mike Nilson (former Zag basketball player) is still the strength & conditioning Coach for women's BB.

Not sure how the 2 of them may break up/share responsibilities with other teams.

Ezag
06-30-2017, 07:13 AM
Played pick up ball with Travis for years. He is a stand-up guy and hard worker to say the least.

CDC84
06-30-2017, 08:49 AM
enjoyed that, thanks for posting. seems to me GU does an excellent job of strength conditioning/nutrition education. the pre-college kids I work with have big challenges with nutrition and we try to teach them the pros/cons of good diet but the follow thru at home with the parents isn't always there. Soda is one of if not the big culprit

Nutrition is the single hardest aspect of the whole thing. Jeremy Pargo could eat all the cheeseburgers he wanted to at GU because basketball and conditioning would just burn it off like that. It is estimated that some starting point guards in college/NBA basketball burn up to 1700 calories in a game. So they don't have the same motivations that I do to lay off unhealthy food (rib gut, bad lab numbers, etc.) Also, it's a long term process. A player just doesn't eat a big spinach salad with a grilled chicken breast for lunch and see the immediate benefit. It takes months and months to notice the subtle differences. They are especially noticed the next day following games. An anti-inflammatory diet really speeds up recovery time, lessens pain, etc.

(BTW - did Pargo ever give his pick for the best cheeseburger in Spokane? I'm sure he could probably give you a tour of the great burger joints of Chicago)

tmt
06-30-2017, 08:51 AM
Travis also works with the women's volleyball team! So blessed to have him!

Zagceo
06-30-2017, 09:05 AM
Nutrition is the single hardest aspect of the whole thing. Jeremy Pargo could eat all the cheeseburgers he wanted to at GU because basketball and conditioning would just burn it off like that. It is estimated that some starting point guards in college/NBA basketball burn up to 1700 calories in a game. So they don't have the same motivations that I do to lay off unhealthy food (rib gut, bad lab numbers, etc.) Also, it's a long term process. A player just doesn't eat a big spinach salad with a grilled chicken breast for lunch and see the immediate benefit. It takes months and months to notice the subtle differences. They are especially noticed the next day following games. An anti-inflammatory diet really speeds up recovery time, lessens pain, etc.

(BTW - did Pargo ever give his pick for the best cheeseburger in Spokane? I'm sure he could probably give you a tour of the great burger joints of Chicago)

Volkar Center (http://www.garco.com/projects/education/95) is scheduled to open this October.......with its Nutrition Center

http://gonzagawill.com/media/images/concept2015-04-08-Presentation-reduced_Page_09.jpg

bballbeachbum
06-30-2017, 10:46 AM

for sure on the anti inflammatory part, simple link here but would appreciate nutritionists on the board and their insights http://thatsugarfilm.com/blog/2016/03/27/diet-and-inflammation/

the poor diet kids without the metabolisms to overcome become so obvious by middle school, heck before even. every now and then some kids can flip it around for whatever reason but so many cannot

bballbeachbum
06-30-2017, 10:47 AM
Volkar Center (http://www.garco.com/projects/education/95) is scheduled to open this October.......with its Nutrition Center

wow, that is awesome

sittingon50
06-30-2017, 11:18 AM

Somewhat related & very interesting:

http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/25942/inside-russell-wilsons-9-meals-a-day-4800-calorie-diet-to-cut-weight